Why UConn will leave the NNBE at the first opportunity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why UConn will leave the NNBE at the first opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The six remaining football members need to build something of some quality. While each wants to end up elsewhere once all of the dominoes fall, thwo, possibly three of the six current football membership will have no placve to go beyond the conference they are building now (plus a few replacements). I personally believe that we are less vulnerable than other members but even if we had some concrete assurances that at some point down the road we would be in another conference, there still is the matter of where we will be until that happens.

There is no reason why we cannot help in building something that will last and legitimately maintain major conference status even if we are planning on only being temporary members.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There is no reason why we cannot help in building something that will last and legitimately maintain major conference status even if we are planning on only being temporary members.
I'm fine with that, doing what needs to be done to keep the BCS bid. And for all I know it could be a long time before we get the opportunity to leave (and if the economy really stinks the door might close for a really long time). But to say this is going to be as good of an overall fit as when we got UL, UC, and USF, either from a BE perspective or a UConn perspective, I think is self-deception.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All that matters is money. Literally that is all that matters. That is what keeps a school like Vanderbilt in the SEC and Northwestern in the Big 10. Do you think those schools want anything to do with semi-pro football teams like Ohio State and Auburn? If Vanderbilt and Northwestern could get paid for being in a league with each other, Duke, Rice, Tulane, Wake Forest and a few other top privates, they would leave in a heartbeat.

All that matters is money. Any discussion of anything else is simply ignorant. Either the NNBE gets paid or it doesn't. If it does, UConn is not going anywhere. If it doesn't, we leave at the first chance.

Reaction Score
All that matters is money. Any discussion of anything else is simply ignorant. Either the NNBE gets paid or it doesn't. If it does, UConn is not going anywhere. If it doesn't, we leave at the first chance.

I think that, provided the amount of money is similar (and it will likely be less), we'll leave. I think we'd have to make a couple million dollars per year more in the BE than we would ACC to not want to leave. There are too many advantages in the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think that, provided the amount of money is similar (and it will likely be less), we'll leave. I think we'd have to make a couple million dollars per year more in the BE than we would ACC to not want to leave. There are too many advantages in the ACC.

The ACC is only marginally more stable than the Big East. It appears that the SEC is only looking at FSU at this point as #14. The ACC will be raided eventually.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
The ACC is only marginally more stable than the Big East. It appears that the SEC is only looking at FSU at this point as #14. The ACC will be raided eventually.
The ACC may be raid-prone by the SEC, but they are still much more stable than the BE. See the link on the Catholics packing up and leaving if UL (or UConn) leaves. The BE would have an existential crisis if WVU, UL, UConn or RU take off. The ACC could lose 4 teams (maybe more) and still be a viable BCS conference after replacing the teams that leave.

Reaction Score
With what we have developing, we can probably raid the ACC. Would need to let go of some bball schools, though.

Reaction Score
Actually look at those titles. One was in 1935 before the polls started (which makes it dubious). There were five different teams named NC by someone that year: LSU, Princeton, Minnesota, SMU, and TCU.

In 1981, Clemson finished 12-0 and, via polls, won all the major titles. SMU (10-1) has a dubious claim at best.

In 1982, Penn State (the team you've been denigrating) finished 11-1, and, despite SMU finishing 11-0-1, Penn State won the AP, USA/CNN, and pretty much all major awards.

In other words, while they had great seasons, no major polls recognized them as champions in their last two claimed titles, and the first one is from a different era.

So in a span when SMU when SMU claimed two titles (recognized by no one), Penn State claimed 5 (despite multiple seasons they finished undefeated and were ignored), ranging from 1969-1994.
By the way, I wasn't denigrating Penn State. I was just saying they've really developed as a program over the past 50 years. As for SMU's two "titles" in the 80s, the National Championship Foundation recognized the first one, and the Helms Athletic Foundation recognized the second. I know both organizations no longer exist. But they are not the only organizations that awarded championships that no longer exist.

Reaction Score
I seriously don't get why you would want to jump to a conference raided by SEC.

But why would you want to jump to a conference that was raided by the conference that was raided by the SEC?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I seriously don't get why you would want to jump to a conference raided by SEC.
Because the alternative is to stay in the Big East which is going to have a smaller exit fee and has at least 4-5schools which are currently rumored to be trying to get in elsewhere.

Plus the whole point of my original post, which you may want to go back and take a look at.

Reaction Score
But why would you want to jump to a conference that was raided by the conference that was raided by the SEC?
Because we wouldn't be stuck with four schools in North Carolina and two in Virginia.

Reaction Score
Because the alternative is to stay in the Big East which is going to have a smaller exit fee and has at least 4-5schools which are currently rumored to be trying to get in elsewhere.

Plus the whole point of my original post, which you may want to go back and take a look at.
If the ACC gets raided before we do, we are in the better position. And there are other schools stuck in non-AQ conferences who can move up to the AQ level. San Diego State is just one example.

Reaction Score
Because we wouldn't be stuck with four schools in North Carolina and two in Virginia.

And one in Boston. And one in Pittsburgh. And one in Syracuse. And one in Maryland. And probably one in Florida. And maybe one in NJ. And one in Georgia. Possibly one in SC.

In other words, all our closest rivals both athletically, geographically, and academically.

Also, Virginia Tech is damn good. As is Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
And one in Boston. And one in Pittsburgh. And one in Syracuse. And one in Maryland. And probably one in Florida. And maybe one in NJ. And one in Georgia. Possibly one in SC.

In other words, all our closest rivals both athletically, geographically, and academically.

Also, Virginia Tech is damn good. As is Clemson and Georgia Tech.
We can invite the damn good ones. We can use another four for now. Which school is from NJ?

Reaction Score
If the ACC gets raided before we do, then the Big East will be raided again; by the ACC.

Reaction Score
We can invite the damn good ones. We can use another four for now. Which school is from NJ?

I'm presuming that Rutgers could potentially go with us.

Most of those schools that left do not want to be associated with the UCF, USF, and BSUs of the world. They will come calling for a couple of academic fits from the BE. And those, provided ND rejects, will be UConn and Rutgers. And they will race to the door.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
As opposed to being stuck with a commuter school from Idaho, a military school in Colorado and a commuter school and a religious college in Texas????

You're talking about UVa, UNC, NC State, Duke and VT. At least three of those are considered "public ivies" and are elite research institutions. I asked you to re-read my OP, but I didn't mention this point specifically before, so I will now. UConn seriously desires to compete for top students to raise its academic profile and funding. The kind of high school seniors who will also apply to elite liberal arts colleges, Ivies, and elite publics (UNC, UVa, Wisconsin). Since we won't join the Ivy league or the Patriot league, we are better off being in the ACC (or B1G) for this purpose. I know it's not the only factor, but it is a factor. And it will weigh much more than having freakin' Boise and SMU in the conference for football.

Reaction Score
I'm presuming that Rutgers could potentially go with us.

Most of those schools that left do not want to be associated with the UCF, USF, and BSUs of the world. They will come calling for a couple of academic fits from the BE. And those, provided ND rejects, will be UConn and Rutgers. And they will race to the door.
Publicity is what got us where we are, academically. Not too long ago, no one would have wanted to be associated with us.

Reaction Score
As opposed to being stuck with a commuter school from Idaho, a military school in Colorado and a commuter school and a religious college in Texas????

You're talking about UVa, UNC, NC State, Duke and VT. At least three of those are considered "public ivies" and are elite research institutions. I asked you to re-read my OP, but I didn't mention this point specifically before, so I will now. UConn seriously desires to compete for top students to raise its academic profile and funding. The kind of high school seniors who will also apply to elite liberal arts colleges, Ivies, and elite publics (UNC, UVa, Wisconsin). Since we won't join the Ivy league or the Patriot league, we are better off being in the ACC (or B1G) for this purpose. I know it's not the only factor, but it is a factor. And it will weigh much more than having freakin' Boise and SMU in the conference for football.
SMU does have a "presidential library". I am sure UCF and USF would like to develop academically as we have. And we can invite the elite institutions when Boise State moves on. We'd have five slots then.

Reaction Score
By the way, I wasn't denigrating Penn State. I was just saying they've really developed as a program over the past 50 years. As for SMU's two "titles" in the 80s, the National Championship Foundation recognized the first one, and the Helms Athletic Foundation recognized the second. I know both organizations no longer exist. But they are not the only organizations that awarded championships that no longer exist.

Fair enough. But the National Championship Foundation also recognized Clemson, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, and Texas that year.

And the Helms foundation was the only major organization to recognize SMU the second one. Penn State, by contrast, was recognized by:
AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, FB News, Football Research, FW, Helms, Litkenhous, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, NY Times, Poling, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI, USA/CNN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Publicity is what got us where we are, academically. Not too long ago, no one would have wanted to be associated with us.

When exactly was that. When UConn was a charter member of the Big East or when the league gave them a deal that allowed them to be the first team to go from 1-AA to a BCS league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom