Why UConn will leave the NNBE at the first opportunity | The Boneyard

Why UConn will leave the NNBE at the first opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think NNBE apologists are underestimating UConn's desire to be in a conference with peer institutions. UConn has spent 25 years transforming from a run-of-the-mill New England public, associating with Maine, URI, UNH*, along with the likes of Providence and Seton Hall, to a national public research university. Even back in the '90's presidents and provosts publicly stated that our academic goal was to be in the same elite public research tier as Wisconsin, UNC and the California system. In addition to providing athletics competition, it makes sense for student recruiting (athletes and non-athletes) to be in a conference with institutions that you consider your peers, with similar student bodies, similar missions, similar goals for the future. Herbst has stressed this after the Pitt/SU defections when UConn was rumored to be on the ACC's list.

In the OBE/NBE we had that good fit with Pitt, Rutgers, even schools like USF, Cinci fit the bill of up and coming research university. In the future we can enhance that with UNC/Duke/UVa/MD or (less likely, in the far future) Michigan/Wisconsin/Illinois etc. What about future NNBE additions? The service academies are positives, but they obviously have really different missions. Temple does have research component, but I don't know how strong they are compared to where UConn currently is and wants to be. UCF is probably similar in profile and potential to USF, maybe a little behind. But as far as SMU, Houston, Boise and you can toss in TCU for comparison... they are fine schools (well not Boise**) but not what UConn considers peers. On average, this group is a net neutral at best., probably a slight minus since we lose Pitt. And if we have to take ECU or Memphis you just know administrators at UConn will not be pleased.

We will play with our new conference mates on the field for as long as circumstances dictate, but the NNBE is never going to be our true HOME. That is why we are going to pay the ten million and jump to the ACC at the first opportunity. Even in the unlikely event we have to take a step down in TV revenue.

*For the record, these schools are still REALLY GOOD schools, they just haven't been able to invest academically or athletically to the same degree as UConn over the long term. Being smaller states might mean their budgets take harder hits in an economic downturn, and smaller increases when the economy is good

**We have another thread on Boise's academics. I agree with the point being made there that there's more to judging a school's contribution to its surrounding community than graduation rates. I wish there were better funding for commuter schools, rural and tribal colleges, community, vocational, and junior colleges so that kids don't wind up getting nearly worthless degrees from for-profit online colleges with mountains of debt. My mom taught at CCSU and she said that although some of her students were uninterested or just didn't belong in college, there were also some really good students in there too. Sometimes they had circumstances like having to care for a sick parent, or were returning to school after a career change or having kids. Hard to truck off to Storrs or out of state in that case. So we should not denigrate these schools out of hand. Having said that, if Herbst decides UConn would be better served by associating with UNC over Boise state, that does not make her an balloon knot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It doesn't even need to be stated. The NNBE is never going to work long term. It's just a life-support system to keep the decent programs in the conference from dying until they can get a transplant.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the new Big East being crap is why the schools are willing to raise the exit fee to $10 million.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It doesn't even need to be stated. The NNBE is never going to work long term. It's just a life-support system to keep the decent programs in the conference from dying until they can get a transplant.
that i totally agree with. and as it should be. UCONN should actively be looking for a new home no matter who the NBE gets and no matter what the exit fee is.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ppl enjoy trying to guess the NBE and why certain teams should be considered etc including me. would i jump at big/acc the minute the invite came, sure! but just in case it never comes i want uconn to be in the best possible situation otherwise. so if that is the new big east, then hell i'm going to chat it up for right now and enjoy it becuase i'm a uconn fan...i think ppl here are just a little to on edge with it all. everyone wants to be in the acc/big no doubt its where u want uconn to be on the field and in the classroom. if those 2 conf's dont happen then maybe you should take a step back and watch how the NBE is being formed and see which teams u like more....its all just uconn fans enjoying the current college climate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure the new Big East being crap is why the schools are willing to raise the exit fee to $10 million.

Funny. The fact that crappy teams won't even join without raising the exit fee is why it's getting increased.

Reaction Score
Crappy teams? You mean Wake Forest, Duke, BC, Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland and NC State (and now maybe Pittsurgh and Miami)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Crappy teams? You mean Wake Forest, Duke, BC, Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland and NC State (and now maybe Pittsurgh and Miami)?

What the heck are you talking about?

Reaction Score
This latest edition of the Big East is nothing more than making the best out of a bad situation. If cobbled together, and not poached any further, it could be in line for a decent per school pay out when the new TV contract comes. There are no guarantees that either happen. The league could be poached again, or it could come together as is being discussed and not get the lucrative TV contract some here have discussed. The most important aspect of this, is that for those of us presently left behind, that we don't end up outside the current BCS.

Reaction Score
Then why don't we wait until we get a TV contract before making judgements? One major positive about Big East football is it has been able to bring in up-and-coming programs, rather than be stuck with programs added 50 years ago that have no real appeal now. It's ironic the majority of the programs that left us are irrelevant now, too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The teams some of you would rather join?

Yeah, every last one of the teams you listed is far superior to every team on the NNBE radar. There is a reason why all those schools are in a major conference and these others are not.

I'm not sure who 'some of you' is. Houston, UCF, SMU... Boise I guess although that seems impossible to work, Navy as a FB only... those are the legitimate candidates... that league at the end of the day is not very good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then why don't we wait until we get a TV contract before making judgements? One major positive about Big East football is it has been able to bring in up-and-coming programs, rather than be stuck with programs added 50 years ago that have no real appeal now. It's ironic the majority of the programs that left us are irrelevant now, too.

Because I don't like UConn sports because of their television contract. If they are in a #$ty league playing teams I don't give a damn about, I don't see why I can't voice that opinion. You want to say Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Miami, Boston College and Miami have no appeal? I'd trade Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia and South Florida for them tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Yeah, every last one of the teams you listed is far superior to every team on the NNBE radar. There is a reason why all those schools are in a major conference and these others are not.

I'm not sure who 'some of you' is. Houston, UCF, SMU... Boise I guess although that seems impossible to work, Navy as a FB only... those are the legitimate candidates... that league at the end of the day is not very good.
SMU has more national titles than all those programs besides Pittsburgh and Miami. And SMU won two of their titles after Pittsburgh won their last. Do you cling to memories of games you got to watch or do you use logic?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SMU has more national titles than all those programs besides Pittsburgh and Miami. And SMU won two of their titles after Pittsburgh won their last. Do you cling to memories of games you got to watch or do you use logic?

Then please tell me why the ACC wanted Pittsburgh and no one has ever had any interest in SMU. In fact, their league partners screwed them, walked away and buried their program once and for all. But I guess that is just 'memories of games' not 'logic'.

Reaction Score
Because I don't like UConn sports because of their television contract. If they are in a #$ty league playing teams I don't give a damn about, I don't see why I can't voice that opinion. You want to say Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Miami, Boston College and Miami have no appeal? I'd trade Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia and South Florida for them tomorrow.
Well, too bad for you. I'd rather be in a conference that has more athletic potential than the ACC. Maybe lacrosse is an exception.

Reaction Score
Then please tell me why the ACC wanted Pittsburgh and no one has ever had any interest in SMU. In fact, their league partners screwed them, walked away and buried their program once and for all. But I guess that is just 'memories of games' not 'logic'.
Maybe because fans of schools around SMU were bent on "memories" too and were bothered by the death penalty incident. Pitt and Syracuse were brought in to make life a little easier for BC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe because fans of schools around SMU were bent on "memories" too and were bothered by the death penalty incident. Pitt and Syracuse were brought in to make life a little easier for BC.

We can stop. You are lost. I'm 99% sure that this is some sort of joke, because it's a ridiculous premise.

Reaction Score
We can stop. You are lost. I'm 99% sure that this is some sort of joke, because it's a ridiculous premise.
Do you still whine over the Whalers having left?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'll say it again - even if we have a better payout from the NNBE, which is unlikely, we will still leave that league behind for non-football reasons. Even if the NNBE becomes on par with the B12 or Pac12 in football and the ACC becomes the worst BCS conference we would still leave for the ACC for non-football reasons. The only thing that will change that is if Houston, SMU, WVU, Boise and the rest of the lot surpass the ACC teams in academics, which is not going to happen. Revenue and football may drive the national expansion picture, but are less primary for UConn (and, for that matter, for Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pitt and SU) where stability and academics are given a little more weight.

And as far as football goes, I am highly skeptical that SMU/Houston will be anything better than average in the NNBE. They may do OK record-wise in the league but I doubt they will go out and get OOC wins the way WVU did when we needed them to, or (for example) USF beating Auburn on the road.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You sure as heck go emo on this forum. Continually.

I don't even know what that means. You sure as heck go complete moron on the forum. Continually.

Reaction Score

Actually look at those titles. One was in 1935 before the polls started (which makes it dubious). There were five different teams named NC by someone that year: LSU, Princeton, Minnesota, SMU, and TCU.

In 1981, Clemson finished 12-0 and, via polls, won all the major titles. SMU (10-1) has a dubious claim at best.

In 1982, Penn State (the team you've been denigrating) finished 11-1, and, despite SMU finishing 11-0-1, Penn State won the AP, USA/CNN, and pretty much all major awards.

In other words, while they had great seasons, no major polls recognized them as champions in their last two claimed titles, and the first one is from a different era.

So in a span when SMU when SMU claimed two titles (recognized by no one), Penn State claimed 5 (despite multiple seasons they finished undefeated and were ignored), ranging from 1969-1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom