Why not the SEC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why not the SEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know we're not laughing with you right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there is a large portion of the posters on this board that think UConn belongs in CUSA. You are one of them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is what I wake up to?

Reaction Score
This is actually not a bad idea. When I heard Calhoun talking about the Big 12 yesterday I thought he was trying to get some interest from the Big 12, but more importantly sending a message to the ACC/ B1G which a conversation with the SEC could do as well if not better. We have value and we are not going to sit around waiting for ND to save us. There are other leagues that can take advantage of our value. Obviously, geography means nothing these days. I hope Herbst et al are pitching this.

Reaction Score
Exactly
Because the SEC believes that no school outside of those areas of the US where people do not talk northern (TX talks funny too so they are included in the south) can not possibly play football at the elite level they require. Further, they already have 1 school that believes in academics and they do not need to add any school that would further distance themselves from their god blessed mission of playing the highest level football. And for the round bouncy ball stuff, they have KY and TN women's BB for goodness sake. They do not need any other teams in that sport.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In the NYC Market, it's already trivial to find an SEC game to watch on a Saturday afternoon. For example, Auburn-LSU tomorrow is being carried nationally on CBS. What incremental value would UConn and Rutgirls add to the SEC? In football- none. Any casual college football fan is already going to be watching Auburn-LSU. Very few folks are turning away from that for a UConn or Rutgirls game.

Would the addition of those two allow a larger footprint for an SEC Network? That's about all they could help deliver, and that's questionable as well.

With the ACC however, I think you can make a better case that UConn and Rutgirls can help deliver a few more eyeballs to the ACC and potentially the ACC Network. Yes, Defillipo, blah blah... I know. But convincing the ACC that we can deliver value is how to get around that roadblock. There's no question that we deliver value on the basketball side of the equation. Football... it's harder to show that, given how young our program is. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Reaction Score
I know #BegHarder has been focused exclusively on the ACC to date, but we may need to revisit the playbook. If Herbst has these great SEC contacts, and is in #BegHarder mode, make a pitch to the SEC for Rutgers and UConn as teams 15 and 16. Why?

1) The ACC and Big 10 think they already have the tri-state area/New England. They really don't want to pay for it again by adding UConn and Rutgers.

2) The SEC is watching the Big 10 and ACC carve up the Big East market and not even have to pay for it.

3) The SEC has plenty of great programs. If quality was the driving factor, they would have taken WVU over Texas A&M or Missouri.

4) The one quality hole they have is basketball, where only Kentucky and to a lesser extent Florida have any national profile.

5) the SEC said they won't take a team from a state where another SEC team is, so this rules out FSU, Clemson, GTech and Louisville and USF for that matter. The have already passed on WVU about 5 times. The list of available teams to get to 16 is the North Carolina and Virginia schools.

6) VTech and NC State are going to be tough teams to pry away from the ACC, and they don't even really deliver those markets. UVa is terrible at everything and isn't really trying. UNC is not leaving a conference with GTech, Duke, Wake Forest, VTech, Virginia, Maryland, BCU, Pitt and Syracuse to join the SEC as long as the ACC is a viable conference.

7) The SEC has said they want new markets, so Texas than Missouri. Now what? Oklahoma? There really isn't anywhere West left to look. North Carolina and Virginia are attractive, but they are going to be tough to pry a team out of, and they are going to be competitive markets even if the SEC grabs NC State and VTech or whoever. And then there is the Big Apple. The largest market in the country, for a conference that considers itself a national brand.

If the SEC does nothing, they cede the market to the ACC and Big 10 for free, which increases the value of every program in those two leagues relative to the SEC. At the very least, the SEC would want to smoke out the interest of either league and force their hand to at least make them pay for it. UConn/Rutgers would deliver that market, particularly if they were playing LSU/Georgia/Florida/Alabama/Tennessee/Auburn. UConn/Rutgers has markets, which the SEC is lacking.

No chance. WVA would be a better fit and the SEC didn't want them. Why not the Pac 10/12/14? Uconn would give them an east coast presence.:)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we all remember that while geography doesn't matter for a football only league, it very much matters for an all-sports league. The travel costs and time on olympic sports would be prohibitive.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the consensus is we should just #BegHarder focusing solely on the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can we all remember that while geography doesn't matter for a football only league, it very much matters for an all-sports league. The travel costs and time on olympic sports would be prohibitive.

Travel in CUSA is going to be bad too.

Reaction Score
We are southern New England and parts of Jersey are south of the mason dixon so I guess us and Rutgers would fit in great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are southern New England and parts of Jersey are south of the mason dixon so I guess us and Rutgers would fit in great.

Larry Scott got 6 votes to add Texahoma to the Pac 12. Storrs to the middle of SEC country in Tuscaloosa is just over 1,000 miles. Austin, TX to Berkeley, CA is almost 1,500.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that, Nelson. I'm saying that I think we offer them the most value. All options should remain on the table for the time being.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, the consensus of those in touch with reality is that "we" are merely idiots on a message board and do not have any effect on what is actually happening in the real world; nor do we know what is actually being done by those whose job it is to handle this.

But it is nice that idle conjecture has gotten you so much mileage and preoccupied so much of your time. Who knows what kind of harm you might be doing yourself or others if you didn't have this to obsess and speculate wildly about?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I know there is a large portion of the posters on this board that think UConn belongs in CUSA. You are one of them.

Wow, Now you're thinking for me? Is there anything you can't do Mr. Nelson?

Either you've reached an all time low on comebacks or you're getting lazy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, the consensus of those in touch with reality is that "we" are merely idiots on a message board and do not have any effect on what is actually happening in the real world; nor do we know what is actually being done by those whose job it is to handle this.

But it is nice that idle conjecture has gotten you so much mileage and preoccupied so much of your time. Who knows what kind of harm you might be doing yourself or others if you didn't have this to obsess and speculate wildly about?

It is ironic that you post on a message board to criticize me for posting on a message board.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow, Now you're thinking for me? Is there anything you can't do Mr. Nelson?

Either you've reached an all time low on comebacks or you're getting lazy.

I am pretty sure no one, including yourself, is thinking for you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand this. nelson, you are not against #BegHarder, you are against begging if it fails. All your ranting against President Herbst wasn't about her begging to get into the ACC, it was her inability to beg adequately.

So, regarding President Herbst, you believe she can be more effective begging the SEC and getting UConn into that conference.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the ACC knows UConn is so far behind in football that the B1G and SEC are not in the picture. It's too bad, because UConn has everything else you'd want in spades.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Smithers just has it in for the ACC. If I were going pie-in-the-sky I'd go Big Ten. We might actually have a shot at that, in 10-20 years.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The only pitch to the B12 or SEC or PAC-12 is the NYC market axis and establishing the potential for fan growth in an areas where the ACC is getting an easy rider on cable carrier lineups and TV sets.

UConn can't be sold on program legacy, current football results, corporate support, or traveling fanbase. Getting UConn fans to travel to Rutgers and MSG is an effort.

The B12 and SEC would be adding bottom tier teams with the potential to improve with funding and renewed commitment.

Potential's a harder sell than results. The good news: there aren't many other options out there. Notre Dame, BYU and WVU are heads and tails the top 3 candidates for expansion.

Any package of Boise. Lousville and Cincy is a bizarre choice over UConn and Rutgers. Lousivllle's chances hang on a thread that the B12 lands BYU or FSU or the B12 simply gets crazy and adds Boise or SMU w/ Louisville when every media expert in the country tells them its dilutive and a waste of scheduling space.

There's an outside chance the B12 looks at Florida with USF and UCF but there's nothing else going on that makes any sense. Tulane? Southern Miss? ECU? Not a chance.

NYC and UConn are in limbo. Lousville prays for BYU to go to the B12 and UConn prays on ND going to the ACC. The SEC looks at the options to add another Vandy and simply shrugs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand this. nelson, you are not against #BegHarder, you are against begging if it fails. All your ranting against President Herbst wasn't about her begging to get into the ACC, it was her inability to beg adequately.

So, regarding President Herbst, you believe she can be more effective begging the SEC and getting UConn into that conference.

Am I understanding you correctly?

I am against eliminating options. For example, not showing up to a crisis meeting for your own conference while at the same time telling anyone who will listen that you think UConn should be in the ACC, when there are really serious impediments to getting into the ACC, strikes me as a pretty awful strategy.

I am explained this a dozen times and you have correctly characterized my issues with Beg Harder in the past. I will chalk this post up to a failed attempt at humor at my expense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Smithers just has it in for the ACC. If I were going pie-in-the-sky I'd go Big Ten. We might actually have a shot at that, in 10-20 years.

If your argument is that UConn doesn't deserve to be in a BCS league, I won't argue with you because what is the point? I think UConn does deserve to be in a BCS league. That is the premise for this whole board.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is ironic that you post on a message board to criticize me for posting on a message board.
No, I didn't criticize you for posting on a message board. I criticized you for living on a message board; and lacking the self-awareness to realize that we are all just idiots with keyboards who neither have any effect on the process nor know everything that is being done by those whose job it is to handle this.

I realize that the board exists for the very reason to allow idiots like us to discuss such things, but you appear to have taken the discussion--and your ability to influence the course of events or know what is really happening--to levels that are not in touch with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom