Why did Griner play 34 minutes in a total rout? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did Griner play 34 minutes in a total rout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As for halftime tweets, I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't outlawed that by now. and probably should.

It hasn't happened enough in college games to be outlawed. The NFL has banned it. I know there was an NBA player who tweeted during halftime but I'm not sure if the NBA has banned it also.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
How 'bout when the player tweets from the locker room at halftime that she's going to dunk two more times in the second half? At least that's what I heard Griner did. I understand these players love twitter but that doesn't seem right.

Not a fan of that - if she is going to purposely go after dunks and show people up, being up 30 pts already, she should get her dunks in the first half so the statement is made already. (Unless there is a wide open opportunity that you just can't pass up. That's different than actively trying to get X number of dunks.) Then in the second half, stay on the floor and play ball, get your points, etc. but otherwise respect the opponent.

Reaction Score
VA

Again, this is what is not understood. Brittney does not get the ball 10 ft out and then power over people to dunk. She is a GREAT phenomena, but she's not THAT strong. There is still a HUGE gap between her dunks and a guy's dunk. She dunks off of uncontested layups and when she gets the ball inside the small arc and can take one strong step straight up.\

With 2-3 bodies around you, the chances of sensing your legs are clear and free of entangling with others is rare--even moreso in the first half than late in the game when many opponents just step away--- and THAT's when the dunks come.

Watch next year's NBA. She will dunk very few times. It's just not that much or a part of her game. or her personna.

You guys have a great board, but you're making something of Brittney here that she simply is not and never has been--a scoring machine who can dunk any time, any where, on anybody.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
VA

Again, this is what is not understood. Brittney does not get the ball 10 ft out and then power over people to dunk. She is a GREAT phenomena, but she's not THAT strong. There is still a HUGE gap between her dunks and a guy's dunk. She dunks off of uncontested layups and when she gets the ball inside the small arc and can take one strong step straight up.\

With 2-3 bodies around you, the chances of sensing your legs are clear and free of entangling with others is rare--even moreso in the first half than late in the game when many opponents just step away--- and THAT's when the dunks come.

Watch next year's NBA. She will dunk very few times. It's just not that much or a part of her game. or her personna.

You guys have a great board, but you're making something of Brittney here that she simply is not and never has been--a scoring machine who can dunk any time, any where, on anybody.

I don't think this is about Brittany, but about ESPN and what they want to use to sell their NCAAW championship coverage. Mulkey can ride off of that coverage to promote her program. The dunks are just part of Brittney's ability.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I don't think this is it at all. It is the timing of her dunks, against whom, and the tweeting pre-dunk that is being discussed.

Reaction Score
I am glad that BG did not get hurt dunking the BB.........Baylors next 2 games will be more of the same......25+ point wins

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Question for Ice. Do you allow Tweeting during your sermons?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Question for Ice. Do you allow Tweeting during your sermons?
I find it hard to Tweet while I am preaching. So I guess the answer is no.

Oh you meant other people Tweeting. I don't think people Tweet while they are asleep.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yes, other people. I guess KM doesn't mind the distraction.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm having difficulty understanding how someone can on one hand accept an agreement between coaches to allow a player to achieve a personal record that they might not otherwise have reached and yet criticize a different coach for allowing a player the same opportunity within the normal flow of the game.

If Mulkey allowed Griner to play extra minutes so that she can set a record good for Mulkey.

Reaction Score
How 'bout when the player tweets from the locker room at halftime that she's going to dunk two more times in the second half? At least that's what I heard Griner did. I understand these players love twitter but that doesn't seem right.
Can you say "HOT DOG"

Reaction Score
Maybe she earned the PT in practice.

Kim Mulkey is a 2 time NC winner. Why would anyone question her coaching decisions. :p
I don't care about her coaching abilities. I just like her trailer trash outfits....

Reaction Score
Not a fan of that - if she is going to purposely go after dunks and show people up, being up 30 pts already, she should get her dunks in the first half so the statement is made already. (Unless there is a wide open opportunity that you just can't pass up. That's different than actively trying to get X number of dunks.) Then in the second half, stay on the floor and play ball, get your points, etc. but otherwise respect the opponent.

But she didn't do that.

She texted she wanted to dunk two more times for the fans. That's not showing someone up, that's suggesting she wants to give the fans - the people who came out to see her for her last game - a bit of a show.

I don't see a problem with it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm having difficulty understanding how someone can on one hand accept an agreement between coaches to allow a player to achieve a personal record that they might not otherwise have reached and yet criticize a different coach for allowing a player the same opportunity within the normal flow of the game.

If Mulkey allowed Griner to play extra minutes so that she can set a record good for Mulkey.

While I have no problem with Griner pursuing the record at all you are comparing apples and oranges. One is a school record and the other is a national record affecting every other school.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
While I have no problem with Griner pursuing the record at all you are comparing apples and oranges. One is a school record and the other is a national record affecting the every other school.

I'll semi concede your apples and oranges point, but only partially becasue none of us know if anything would have been different had it been an NCAA record. However, I was going more for the contrived versus normal play comparison.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is nearing the end of her career and she has given Baylor so much. I applaud Kim for allowing her to go out in style. I hope that recruits who were in attendance took note and appreciate the situation as well.

And it's too bad for FSU that they were caught in the middle. This is Div I playoff basketball. At least they didn't lose by 68 points.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UCONN shot three-pointers while leading 93-22 and 96-22 against Idaho. Maybe those complaining about BG playing 34 minutes can explain how shooting those 3s with a 70+ lead is any different since Idaho was much more overmatched than FSU was against Baylor.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
UCONN shot three-pointers while leading 93-22 and 96-22 against Idaho. Maybe those complaining about BG playing 34 minutes can explain how shooting those 3s with a 70+ lead is any different since Idaho was much more overmatched than FSU was against Baylor.
I really don't care abut the minutes now. Play her all 40. Better for Uconn when they play in the finals if Baylor gets there...

Your comparison to Uconn late game three pointers stinks. Three pointers happen 20 times a game for Uconn. A dunk is a rarity. And for me, it was more the tongue sticking out and the head wagging that I did't particularly care for.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'll semi concede your apples and oranges point, but only partially becasue none of us know if anything would have been different had it been an NCAA record. However, I was going more for the contrived versus normal play comparison.
How big of you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is in a bit of a no-win situation with many fans. When she was younger she was criticized for not showing killer instinct. Now that she has the killer instinct she is being criticized for being too dominant against lesser opponents. BG has been criticized for not rebounding well but she grabbed 22 against FSU and nobody made mention of that number, or that she shot 68% from the floor and threw in 4 blocks and 4 assists.

I am going to sit back and enjoy getting to see her incomparable talents while I can. It is too bad that more WCBB fans cannot do the same.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one is accusing of having an overblown killer instinct. She is dominant of those who do not have the ability to fight back. Truly heroic competitors bring out their best against the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom