Why did Griner play 34 minutes in a total rout? | The Boneyard

Why did Griner play 34 minutes in a total rout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The team was up 31 at the half. I didn't catch the game so I couldn't tell what was going on. I sure hope it's more than Mulkey trying to help her break the all time scoring record.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I see how it would rub a lot of people (FSU coach included) the wrong way.

However given the circumstances, I don't think it was out of line. Records shouldn't matter that much until it's one of your own players, then it matters a lot ;)

There are a lot of things more bush-league (no pun intended with "W" in the house) than leaving your best player on the floor too long.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There are a lot of things more bush-league (no pun intended with "W" in the house) than leaving your best player on the floor too long.

How 'bout when the player tweets from the locker room at halftime that she's going to dunk two more times in the second half? At least that's what I heard Griner did. I understand these players love twitter but that doesn't seem right.

Reaction Score
The team was up 31 at the half. I didn't catch the game so I couldn't tell what was going on. I sure hope it's more than Mulkey trying to help her break the all time scoring record.
Because ESPN wanted her to......

Reaction Score
It was Griner's last home game. She's easily the best player to ever go to Baylor. The crowd went to see her. I can see why she'd be played. (If I was an attending fan, I would have been upset if Griner only played 20 minutes.)

BTW: Hartley played 28 minutes last game. That's not that much different than 34.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was Griner's last home game. She's easily the best player to ever go to Baylor. The crowd went to see her. I can see why she'd be played. (If I was an attending fan, I would have been upset if Griner only played 20 minutes.)

BTW: Hartley played 28 minutes last game. That's not that much different than 34.
First, Hartley didn't start. Second, UCONN was not up 31 at the half. they were up 13. Much different game.

Reaction Score
First, Hartley didn't start. Second, UCONN was not up 31 at the half. they were up 13. Much different game.

She's a starter. And fine, she played 32 minutes the game be for, when we won by 70.

That's not an attack on Geno. I don't think he likes to run up the score. I think Kim just wanted to let Griner go out in style. Which was well deserved.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
together
Oh please! The kid has a few games left in her career, and with 31 ppg becomes the career scoring leader!

Kim SHOULD play her as much as she can. This is college sports, not the pros. Let them all have some fun!

In the next couple of games, do you not think that Griner could couple together some point totals that would get her to that accomplishment? Unless a meteor lands on Griner, the Bears will be in the championship game so there is plenty of time to gather what is needed

I agree that Baylor would have fun yes, but at whose expense? Do you include the way overmatched team in your "all " having fun?

this sounds a little harsher than I intended. Sorry about that...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She's a starter. And fine, she played 32 minutes the game be for, when we won by 70.
We were also down to 8 rotational players (and Doty is kinda limited in minutes). Didn't really have too many other options.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Bria has had an up and down season (as opposed to Griner who has not - she is all "up"). At this point we need her to be confident, and keeping her in the game when she is doing so well helps build that confidence.

I wonder if not starting had an effect on Bria.....

Reaction Score
together

In the next couple of games, do you not think that Griner could couple together some point totals that would get her to that accomplishment? Unless a meteor lands on Griner, the Bears will be in the championship game so there is plenty of time to gather what is needed

I agree that Baylor would have fun yes, but at whose expense? Do you include the way overmatched team in your "all " having fun?

this sounds a little harsher than I intended. Sorry about that...

Taken the way it was meant, don't worry about that!

I can cut college kids a lot more slack, and realize that there is a shelf life on their accomplishments and careers equal among virtually all players.

I have no problem at all with Kim letting Brittney go at it, and try for the scoring record.

Like Geno said when talking about Kesh and the Harry arrangement, how many points did he take from her by sitting her down in other blowouts?

Kim's trying not to let that "what if" follow Brittney's legacy...she's trying to get Brittney's name down as one of the most difficult records ever.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh please! The kid has a few games left in her career, and with 31 ppg becomes the career scoring leader!

Kim SHOULD play her as much as she can. This is college sports, not the pros. Let them all have some fun!

I have no problem with Griner's minutes. The halftime tweet is another topic, however. The last time a college athlete tweeted during halftime was a UMass freshman football player. It actually garnered some national attention followed by an apology by the player and a commitment from the head coach that it wouldn't happen again. Michelle Smith of ESPN seemed to think it was a good thing:

The best part was that she stated her exact intentions during a halftime tweet: @Brittney4Griner: "Need two more dunks on home court for the best crowd ever! #BaylorNation"

Two burning questions come to mind: (A) Why does she have her phone in her hand at halftime? (B) Is Kim Mulkey really going to tell her to put it away?

No reason to make this larger than life and I don't think Griner meant any disrespect to FSU. Still, I do think it needs to be addressed by Kim because it's not okay for any player to do that.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
ESPN has three themes this year... Griner... EDD... and Skylar Diggins... So the concentration of time is on those players and teams... And Mulkey knows her ticket to recruiting is exposure and will play her as much as she can...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Brittney Griner@Brittney4Griner 13h
Need two more dunks on home court for the best crowd ever! #BaylorNation

I thought about this last year when Griner dunked on GaTech..... but if I were in that game (or any game in which Griner attempted a dunk), and were anywhere in her vicinity....... lets just say..... she wouldnt have dunked the ball. Just saw the highlights... I would have been spitting mad after the first one... too bad FSU players didnt have the same mindset.... a undercut... a well placed forearm shiver... something... anything.... yes... ejection was certain... but its not like they had any chance to win the game anyway.

Reaction Score
Brittney rarely dunks when some one is on her or potentially underneath her. She knows how far dow it is to the ankles of the guards nipping at her knees and one turned foot on someone else's ankles and it's over. almost every dunk has been if she fairly isolated and she can go straight up. I know I have little chance to make the case with those on this board who are naysayers, but Brittney can take or leave the dunk. It's for pre-game fun in her book.

As for scoring record, with us beating the big 12 opponents by 20-30 most every night if she REALLY wanted the scoring record you think she's wait until the postseaston to try to break it? Kim's been pulling her at the 6, 7, 8 minute mark. and that's fine with Brittney. Multiply 7 more minutes times the last 10 games against teams beaten down and gasssed adn the record would be yesterday's news.

It's this simple. To Brittney, that personal goal is not a big deal. Winning another championship and being a team player is thus, she's dishing more assists rather than shooting, and is gladly going to the bench early so her teammates can have floor time.

I'll take a team player any day over a record seeker.

As for halftime tweets, I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't outlawed that by now. and probably should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom