What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're gonna lecture me about arguing in a simplistic manner and then compare and contrast Edsall and P's first few years at UConn? Give me a break. Yes, Edsall's and Pasqualoni's first 2 years at UConn were under the exact same circumstances?

Are you not bright enough to add a little context to the different circumstances that each started under? Or are you just a jerk?

Haha I get it, you're using my own words against me. Very clever.

Anyway, I do understand the concept of context. I don't think Edsall should've been fired after two years. Obviously he was in a much different situation than Pasqualoni today.

But you seem totally oblivious to a few factors that seem uninteresting to you in terms of giving Pasqualoni the benefit of the doubt in terms of why we went from a decent 8-5 team to a middle 5-7 team:

1. Two straight years of QB's with no BCS experience whatsoever, including a QB who didn't even have a scholarship.
  2. Losing some of our best and most talented Offensive Lineman in that time.
  3. Losing one of our Top 3 best Running Backs in the history of our program (Jordan Todman)
  4. Losing our super reliable kicker last year (no way Teggart loses that Temple game for us).
  5. Demoralizing effect of having a coach who you thought was with you abandon you in one of the least classy ways possible.
Should we have expected more? Maybe. Has Pasqualoni been perfect? Absolutely not.

But even though it's a cliche, football absolutely is a game of inches. We were one Christen chip shot away from going bowling. We were five or six possible Sio Moore dropped picks away from gaining momentum. We were always one Nick Williams kickoff return away from making it happen.

Another 5-7 year, he absolutely deserves to be fired. But he hasn't been that bad. He's been a LOT better than Edsall's been at Maryland, and you could easily make the case that Maryland has more talent than us. Cry about the injury to Maryland's QB all you want, we started Johnny Trick Shot QB (no offense to the young man).

If you're running this program, you have to think long and hard about whether or not you want to start all over again with a new coach (And really, how many all-star coaches want to come here?). That's all I'm saying. You make it sound simple, and I don't think it is. It's easy to be an armchair AD. But as far as I know, you've never done the job, and neither have I. And yes, I expect people to express opinions on message boards.

But the way you act as if it's so black-and-white? Meh. I don't buy it. Our problems are complex. And simple solutions don't solve complex problems, imo. But you are, as always, entitled to your own opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It works both ways. They were one more big Maryland play from a loss and almost let Pitt come back in a game they were up 21-0 at home. Louisville had a dozen opportunities to win. 2-10 could have happened just like 7-5 or 8-4.

Reaction Score
Haha I get it, you're using my own words against me. Very clever.

Anyway, I do understand the concept of context. I don't think Edsall should've been fired after two years. Obviously he was in a much different situation than Pasqualoni today.

But you seem totally oblivious to a few factors that seem uninteresting to you in terms of giving Pasqualoni the benefit of the doubt in terms of why we went from a decent 8-5 team to a middle 5-7 team:

1. Two straight years of QB's with no BCS experience whatsoever, including a QB who didn't even have a scholarship.
  2. Losing some of our best and most talented Offensive Lineman in that time.
  3. Losing one of our Top 3 best Running Backs in the history of our program (Jordan Todman)
  4. Losing our super reliable kicker last year (no way Teggart loses that Temple game for us).
  5. Demoralizing effect of having a coach who you thought was with you abandon you in one of the least classy ways possible.
Should we have expected more? Maybe. Has Pasqualoni been perfect? Absolutely not.

But even though it's a cliche, football absolutely is a game of inches. We were one Christen chip shot away from going bowling. We were five or six possible Sio Moore dropped picks away from gaining momentum. We were always one Nick Williams kickoff return away from making it happen.

Another 5-7 year, he absolutely deserves to be fired. But he hasn't been that bad. He's been a LOT better than Edsall's been at Maryland, and you could easily make the case that Maryland has more talent than us. Cry about the injury to Maryland's QB all you want, we started Johnny Trick Shot QB (no offense to the young man).

If you're running this program, you have to think long and hard about whether or not you want to start all over again with a new coach (And really, how many all-star coaches want to come here?). That's all I'm saying. You make it sound simple, and I don't think it is. It's easy to be an armchair AD. But as far as I know, you've never done the job, and neither have I. And yes, I expect people to express opinions on message boards.

But the way you act as if it's so black-and-white? Meh. I don't buy it. Our problems are complex. And simple solutions don't solve complex problems, imo. But you are, as always, entitled to your own opinion.

Yeah thanks for pointing all of those things out to us Captain Obvious.

Sometimes, people who are as intelligent, or (gasp) more intelligent than you have the cognitive ability to gather and process many different variables and come to a different conclusion than you. Hard to believe, I know.

You've been hanging around too many smug Yalies lately.

Reaction Score
Yeah thanks for pointing all of those things out to us Captain Obvious.

Sometimes, people who are as intelligent, or (gasp) more intelligent than you have the cognitive ability to gather and process many different variables and come to a different conclusion than you. Hard to believe, I know.

You've been hanging around too many smug Yalies lately.

The problem isn't that you've drawn a different conclusion than me. The problem is that you can't muster an ounce of respect for people with different opinions than you. It's not smug to treat people like adults, even on the Internet.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't that you've drawn a different conclusion than me. The problem is that you can't muster an ounce of respect for people with different opinions than you. It's not smug to treat people like adults, even on the Internet.

Ok.

Reaction Score
Are you trying to defend Coach Pasqualoni, by saying he has no interest to performing the duties required to succeed in the position for which he was hired? If not, you need to pick your words a tad more carefully. The word is right there in his title (Coach)?

It is absolutely a major part of his job to ensure each and every player in his charge is coached to the appropriate level. If he doesn't do it, his assistant coaches should. If they don't, the whole lot should be relieved from their coaching obligations forthwith.

There is more to coaching than recruiting, there is more to coaching than play calling, and there is more to coaching than teaching. He's been around for decades. He should understand that.
a poster comes up with some theory that PP doesnt coach, only recruits and your response is to suggest PP knows better.
is it possible the poster's theory is wrong and PP actually coaches and recruits?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's not what I took issue with, nor is it what he said...and no. In my opinion, Coach Pasqualoni does not do an adequate job of coaching up players to an appropriate level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe the best thing about the Boneyard is when posters compare PP at UConn to Edsall at Maryland.

I'd stick with that for sure because you don't want to compare PP to Edsall at I don't know.... Connecticut.

Reaction Score
It works both ways. They were one more big Maryland play from a loss and almost let Pitt come back in a game they were up 21-0 at home. Louisville had a dozen opportunities to win. 2-10 could have happened just like 7-5 or 8-4.
Can't you look at almost any team nfl or ncaa and make the same conclusion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...But even though it's a cliche, football absolutely is a game of inches. We were one Christen chip shot away from going bowling. We were five or six possible Sio Moore dropped picks away from gaining momentum. We were always one Nick Williams kickoff return away from making it happen.

This is just baloney. Poor in-game coaching lost us 3 games (NCSt., Temple, USF), minimum. P had done less with more and is now in position to do less with less. He has not increased the recruiting to such a level that mitigates his deficiencies. I'm truly afraid of what a disaster of a year will do to our program as well as our athletic department.

Reaction Score
This is just baloney. Poor in-game coaching lost us 3 games (NCSt., Temple, USF), minimum. P had done less with more and is now in position to do less with less. He has not increased the recruiting to such a level that mitigates his deficiencies. I'm truly afraid of what a disaster of a year will do to our program as well as our athletic department.

Don't forget all of the coaching losses from the first season too. Vanderbilt sticks out in my mind.

Reaction Score
Nice response. Well, thought out, well supported, informative, and (best of all) rational...

However...I didn't said "highest level." I said "appropriate level," which dovetails nicely with putting together a winning football team. Fine line, maybe, but here's the difference: You hypothesize that Coach Pasqualoni is trying to replace current 1 star and 2 star players with 3 and 4 stars guys. I assume you also think that the 3s and 4s "get it." Here's my question...Shouldn't a coach at that point adjust his philosophy to take advantage of the 1s and 2s strengths, especially in the college game where the shelf life is a maximum of 4 years? That's what I mean by appropriate. Realize what you have and teach them what they need to know to succeed...period.

Albeit, mine is an untrained eye, but I just didn't see that at all on the offensive side of the ball. I.e. why a 7-step drop behind a weak pass blocking line? Why run a 160 lb back between the tackles ad naseum for short yardage? Why the "11" package...ever?
As for being rational, I guess even a stopped clock is right sometimes...on the rest of it, I'm not sure Pasquoloni is doing all that much different than what many coaches have done. You concentrate on the guys who are going to be there long term, your recruits for the most part, who were brought in to play in your system. It isn't like you ignore the guys who are there, but when there's a choice, you go with younger players. Sometimes there isn't really a choice. A frosh lineman who is only 250 pounds is going to get killed out there, and an all-conference linebacker isn't getting replaced. I don't think it is much different from what Schiano did at Rutgers or lots of coaches do. The problem at UConn was that unlike Schiano, P didn't come in and take over a trainwreck. If we had been 4-8, 3-9, 4-8 this type of transition would be expected and even probably welcomed. Problem is we were pretty good.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As for being rational, I guess even a stopped clock is right sometimes...on the rest of it, I'm not sure Pasquoloni is doing all that much different than what many coaches have done. You concentrate on the guys who are going to be there long term, your recruits for the most part, who were brought in to play in your system. It isn't like you ignore the guys who are there, but when there's a choice, you go with younger players. Sometimes there isn't really a choice. A frosh lineman who is only 250 pounds is going to get killed out there, and an all-conference linebacker isn't getting replaced. I don't think it is much different from what Schiano did at Rutgers or lots of coaches do. The problem at UConn was that unlike Schiano, P didn't come in and take over a trainwreck. If we had been 4-8, 3-9, 4-8 this type of transition would be expected and even probably welcomed. Problem is we were pretty good.
Schiano was the text book definition of insane (i.e. do the same thing over and over expecting a differnt result). As a college coach, Pasqualoni and his system should be more flexible. Why am I surprised though? He came from a Professional organization (the Cowboys) that do the exact same thing.

Reaction Score

I would love to hear the explanation about how he coached us into a Temple loss. I saw that game. If you don't have a kicker who can't make a kick, you ain't gonna win that many ball games.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I would love to hear the explanation about how he coached us into a Temple loss. I saw that game. If you don't have a kicker who can't make a kick, you ain't gonna win that many ball games.

IIRC, UConn went into the fetal position on Offense and they couldn't recover. It should have never come down to the kicking game.

Reaction Score

One team got off to a blazing start. The other team made adjustments and we nursed a lead for the entire second half.

This was only a few weeks removed from making the same mistake against Buffalo, who almost made a comeback on us.

You need to start looking at the different nuances and complexities that arise throughout the game.

Reaction Score
One team got off to a blazing start. The other team made adjustments and we nursed a lead for the entire second half.

This was only a few weeks removed from making the same mistake against Buffalo, who almost made a comeback on us.

You need to start looking at the different nuances and complexities that arise throughout the game.

You could just as easily say we were so untalented that we played our hearts out and used trickery to get ahead in the first half, but that using pure trickery and cleverness to win a whole 60 minute game is tough and our talent gap left us wide open for second half comebacks.

Or you could say better athletes sustain higher energy levels for longer periods of time and if we were less athletic than other teams, as the games go on, the talent gap would make it harder to compete.

Again, not saying I truly believe it. I just fail to see how you've proven that second half fades prove coaching responsibility.

The problem with complex systems is that there are no real answers. Just because you and Zoo parrot each other doesn't mean you've proven anything.

Reaction Score
You could just as easily say we were so untalented that we played our hearts out and used trickery to get ahead in the first half, but that using pure trickery and cleverness to win a whole 60 minute game is tough and our talent gap left us wide open for second half comebacks.

Or you could say better athletes sustain higher energy levels for longer periods of time and if we were less athletic than other teams, as the games go on, the talent gap would make it harder to compete.

Again, not saying I truly believe it. I just fail to see how you've proven that second half fades prove coaching responsibility.

The problem with complex systems is that there are no real answers. Just because you and Zoo parrot each other doesn't mean you've proven anything.

Then I would say that you definitely didn't watch the game. And there are plenty of real answers, including the score at the end of the game and the fact that Dummy DeLeone put our offense on permanent time out in the second half.

UConn completely dominated offensively in the first half of the Temple game. They played the type of offense that we would expect to play against what is basically a MAC team.

Our supposedly untalented offense had an All Big East Running Back and a Tight End that will be an NFL free agent. We also had a QB who passed for more yards in one season (his first season) than any other QB we have had since Dan Orlovsky.

So please. Tell us how our offense only had the 115th best talent in the nation. Or you can just STFU.

Reaction Score
Then I would say that you definitely didn't watch the game. And there are plenty of real answers, including the score at the end of the game and the fact that Dummy DeLeone put our offense on permanent time out in the second half.

UConn completely dominated offensively in the first half of the Temple game. They played the type of offense that we would expect to play against what is basically a MAC team.

Our supposedly untalented offense had an All Big East Running Back and a Tight End that will be an NFL free agent. We also had a QB who passed for more yards in one season (his first season) than any other QB we have had since Dan Orlovsky.

So please. Tell us how our offense only had the 115th best talent in the nation. Or you can just STFU.

Wow, an all-BE running back and a Tight End who won't get drafted?! Sign us up for the Fiesta Bowl!

Dude. You need an O-line to run. Ours was TERRIBLE. Whether it was scheme or talent we may never know.

I can't help but notice that you conveniently left out the fact that our QB threw more picks than pretty much everybody. Cherry-picking stats again eh? I mean, I guess throwing more yards than Zach Frazer is super impressive, but, uh. Yeah.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that reasonable people think there is plenty of blame to go around. I do think Pasqualoni and GDL made lots of mistakes and I think they should've done better. But I think they also got dealt a pretty terrible hand, too. Excuse me for not agreeing.

But you should know by now that me "STFU"ing is super unlikely.

Also, name calling? "Dummy Deleone?" I mean... eh. This is grade school stuff.

Reaction Score
Wow, an all-BE running back and a Tight End who won't get drafted?! Sign us up for the Fiesta Bowl!

That still doesn't amount to the 115th ranked offense. Even a less dumb version of you could do better than that.

Dude. You need an O-line to run. Ours was TERRIBLE. Whether it was scheme or talent we may never know.

And who coaches the O-Line again?

I can't help but notice that you conveniently left out the fact that our QB threw more picks than pretty much everybody. Cherry-picking stats again eh? I mean, I guess throwing more yards than Zach Frazer is super impressive, but, uh. Yeah.

He threw more picks because he was running for his life because of the the Messed Up Blocking Scheme that your Uncle Dummy DeLeone had implemented. Our offensive line used to be one of the strong points of this program, but your two crazy Uncles have destroyed that inside of two seasons.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept that reasonable people think there is plenty of blame to go around. I do think Pasqualoni and GDL made lots of mistakes and I think they should've done better. But I think they also got dealt a pretty terrible hand, too. Excuse me for not agreeing.

The buck stops at the idiot Head Coach, and his knucklehead sidekick. This Syracuse circa 2004 The Sequel.

But you should know by now that me "STFU"ing is super unlikely.

Unfortunate for all here..

Also, name calling? "Dummy Deleone?" I mean... eh. This is grade school stuff.
It fits.

Reaction Score
IIRC, UConn went into the fetal position on Offense and they couldn't recover. It should have never come down to the kicking game.
Blame the coach for trying to protect leads then I wholeheartedly agree. However I am on the bandwagon with Loop, that there is more to look forward to this year than the last two especially with the QB situation and OC.

Reaction Score

LOL. This is an internet message board. We're not trying to prove anything. Just stating our opinions. The stuff you're looking to be proven cannot be proven one way or the other.

Reasonable people can disagree. You said that in response to Zoo. Why can't you just accept your own words? We disagree. I have no issue there. What bugs me is the smugness eminating from you. Because I don't agree, I can't comprehend different variables and put them into context. It's a smug way of proclaiming you're smarter than everyone else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would love to hear the explanation about how he coached us into a Temple loss. I saw that game.

Were you there or did you watch on TV? Because if you were there, you saw the D in complete disarray late in the game before two key long gainers from Temple. P didn't have the awareness to call a time out either time, giving the team a chance to regroup. What was he going to do with those unused TO's? Real time, my girlfriend had a better sense of the situation.

And I'm even going to hang some of the blame for those missed FG's on coaching. Anyone that follows this team knows that Chad was more effective the closer the ball was to midfield. So why, when they're playing conservatively and willing to settle for a FG, are they running to the short side and ending up with attempts from the hash mark? Good coaches work to put players in positions to succeed. Our coaches set players up for failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom