What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies? | The Boneyard

What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year, people thought our defense would be awesome, our offense would be improved (QB), and that the weakness would be the OL (running). For the most part, that was spot on.

That said, what are people realistically expecting this year? Yes, I hope for 12-0 as well and a BCS spot, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

This is a tough schedule this year, we've lost some talent on defense, but people still seem optimistic. Maybe because of the coaching changes on offense and the continued improvement at QB.

I really believe the measure of a team's season is how they do against expectations. So if this team goes 8-4, considering the schedule, is that good enough? Or is that considered amazing because people are thinking 6-6 is likely.

More importantly, what does PP have to do in order to keep his job. I think anything less than 6-6 and he's gone.

Reaction Score
Last year, people thought our defense would be awesome, our offense would be improved (QB), and that the weakness would be the OL (running). For the most part, that was spot on.

That said, what are people realistically expecting this year? Yes, I hope for 12-0 as well and a BCS spot, but I'm not betting the farm on it.

This is a tough schedule this year, we've lost some talent on defense, but people still seem optimistic. Maybe because of the coaching changes on offense and the continued improvement at QB.

I really believe the measure of a team's season is how they do against expectations. So if this team goes 8-4, considering the schedule, is that good enough? Or is that considered amazing because people are thinking 6-6 is likely.

More importantly, what does PP have to do in order to keep his job. I think anything less than 6-6 and he's gone.

Big East champs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hope is for 12-0, BE Championship Game win and a BCS win.

But I'm with businesslawyer here. Two years in and they've shown us what to expect from the coaching staff.

5-7 with a few head scratching losses and one head scratching win.

Really, really, really want to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score

8-4 is not only good enough, it probably gets P Big East COY.

I don't see more than 5 wins on this year's schedule. If we go bowling I will be surprised.

I know this upsets the fantasy guys who sneer at folks for talking about reality, but I just don't see more than 5 wins. Hope I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

Reaction Score
Weist is the wildcard here. I still worry about the OL (GDL) but we can't be as bad as last year on offense so we go .500 or better. Better situation at QB and hopefully another back steps up. D will be fun to watch again.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It depends. I think our defense is probably still pretty good. If they really let Weist run the show.. then we're probably 7+ wins. If PP and GDL revert to form? 5 wins.

Reaction Score
4-8 to 5-7 again.

GDL is still the OL coach. The defense is not going to be as good. Recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
The consensus from the experts is probably something like 5-7, which would almost certainly get Pasqualoni fired. I think 7-5 is doable. Not sure how realistic it is. Sometimes it's just a few small things. A few made Christen kicks. A few Sio Moore non-dropped interceptions. A few non-fumbles.

It's a fine line.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hard to find seven wins unless all four phases outperform expectations. But when has this program ever coincided with preseason expectations, good or bad?

Beating MD, Michigan would mean more than anything else short of a BCS bid.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My head believes that we aren't going bowling, but my heart, always the fool, believes that our new OC, familiarity with zone blocking, an improvement at QB (because of Whitmer's experience or a new QB emerging and better protection) and better receivers, will give us a surprisingly successful offense, enough to offset a slight down turn in defense.

Head 5-7, heart 8-4.

Reaction Score
People seem to be certain that UConn will lose to Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers and Louisville. Well, last year we beat Maryland and UL on the road, so I don't see why we could not do it again at home this year. And Maryland is nothing special, even though they have a stud in Diggs, as does UL with Bridgewater. But one player is usually not going to beat you in football.

As for Michigan, teams like UConn beat teams like Michigan at home every year. That is going to be our Super Bowl, while it will be just another game for them. Plus they will probably be overconfident and thinking it will be an automatic win. Well, it won't.

And lastly, we got Rutgers. When have they ever beaten us convingcingly at home? Plus they are losing a bunch of good players, probably more than us.

All that said, I know going 4-0 in these games will be hard, but I see no reason why we could not win 3 or 2 at worst.

Reaction Score
My head believes that we aren't going bowling, but my heart, always the fool, believes that our new OC, familiarity with zone blocking, an improvement at QB (because of Whitmer's experience or a new QB emerging and better protection) and better receivers, will give us a surprisingly successful offense, enough to offset a slight down turn in defense.

Head 5-7, heart 8-4.
I was thinking exactly the same thing in almost exactly the same words. Well, except for the whole "my heart always the fool" thing. That is pretty poetic for a football fan!

Reaction Score
13-0. It's the only record worth having.
that's a pretty high bar to measure against... we go 12-1 and only lose to UofL are you really going to be disappointed?
I get the 13-0, but let's be honest. we're fans, not players. I think we can be realistic in the outcome of games and not diminish the effort or optimism.
I certainly wouldn't think PP is asking his players what they think their record will be. I would hope he's got them all believing in 13-0.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
4-8 to 5-7 again.

GDL is still the OL coach. The defense is not going to be as good. Recipe for disaster.

Honestly... if he's JUST the OL coach then I'm hopeful... but I'm not hopful that his role will be just the OL coach.

Reaction Score

Head 5-7, heart 8-4.

Am I wrong or will GDL employ the blocking scheme that weist wants installed? I was hoping to find out at the spring game.

Reaction Score
Expectations for this Year:

Just want the team to improve. Play tough, physical football. Don't beat themselves with mistakes, i.e. turnovers, missed assignments, penalties, bad sideline management, and questionable game-day tactics from the coaching staff.

The offense was a point of misery last year due to a lack of production, and bone-headed play calling that insists on not rotating the rbs, (but instead rotate OL)and also insisting on running McCombs up the middle time and time again on first and second down. Then on 3rd and long, the defense is ready to blitz. and the OC insists on calling a passing play with a 5 or 7 step dropback for the quarterback (with all receivers running deep patterns so there is no outlet against the blitz) and Whitmer promptly gets crunched by a DE and or LB, or he throws it up into double or triple coverage; three and out or its a pick. Either way we lose field position battle and we give the other team a chance to put points on the board.

Weist should help change that cycle . He's gonna adapt the offense to fit the skills of the players and he is gonna get the ball in the hands of play-makers in space. He's a better chess player than GDL! So hopefully he can adapt to what the defense is doing effectively throughout the game. Hopefully, Lyle McCombs gets a chance to get the ball more on screens, swing passes, pitches, counters and the sort. And also we gotta utilize all of our running backs, speedy wr in the running game. Our receivers should benefit from the tutelage of a coach who has put a ton of WR in the NFL. And GDL I expect that he will do a good job developing the OL, I mean he's practically getting the entire line back, and a bunch of his OL recruits get a chance to go through the Off-season conditioning (Rugg, Samra, Levy, Bockeloh) So things should be better. Hopefully.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm on record as saying 8-4. 5-2 before the bye and 3-2 after.

Reaction Score
Am I wrong or will GDL employ the blocking scheme that weist wants installed? I was hoping to find out at the spring game.

In theory Weist should have every say in the manor he sees fit to employ his offensive packages. HOWEVER, GDL has centuries of history with his bff, PP so this could prove difficult for the new coach. IMO this has internal dissension and disaster written all over it. I know nothing about Coach Weist, but unless he has a type a "this is why you hired me, this is how your gonna do it" mentality.... I just think things could get difficult at times. I pray to God P gives him the latitude to do what he needs to do in order to get the job done!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Using my positive energy I'll take 7-5 very excited to see what Weist can do.

Reaction Score
Pros:
I believe in 3 year cycles so this is an up year.

P recruited well so we will see what that brings. I am encouraged by all of these RS Sophs

QB Play - Despite all the groaning about GDL, PP could not have been handed any worse situation. Any team could have overplayed the run. Encouraged by Whitmer's last 4 games. Beating Louisville tells me that we are capable.

OL - Another year of seasoning and again three stud recruits pushing for playing time. Bennett, well maybe it's time he is healthy and shows us something. We know that McCombs is very serviceable.

Defense - while we lost 4 guys, I think that we have more than acceptable replacements, especially if Joseph is up to par. We add Myer to the young DL's who played well last year. LB will flourish, despite loss of Sio - Aishru Vann Donohue Smallwood, Stewart all return . CB could be a problem, but these guys got quality playing time especially with Wilson missing games. S, Floyd Lee and Melifonwu were all stud recruits adding to Adams and Ty Meer Brown. And Ill' take Hank as DC any day.

Weist - enough said.

We won a tough away game - counts for a lot in my book, even if Bridgewater was hurt.

Cons: KR, PR all new guys, TE Not even a sniff of the field for any of the young TE's last year. Have not proven much on the field under current regime. CB play.

So I am more encouraged than I have been. Overall Weist is a plus, the recruiting is a plus and we are in the 3rd year of the cycle since Fiesta. I like 8-4 with a good bowl bid. There is at least stability and competition at QB. If Whitmer and the OL play well then it could be lights out good, say 10-2

Reaction Score
As long as they make it to a bowl...any bowl, I'll be happy. If their record is not 7-5 or better I think it'll be time to look for a new head coach. 6-6 just won't cut it.
I have heard that some think this will be the first year for Coach P's recruits to start making an impact. I have to feel good about the fact that you lose a pro like Sio Moore but Maryland & Florida transfers Donohue & Stewart will be ready to step in. I think the hardest shoes to replace will be Blidi Wreyh-Wilson & Ryan Wirth. It should be interesting to see if Andreas Knappe can be an immediate impact player and how Byron Jones works out. Having Jesse Joseph and Teddy Jennings back is a bonus. The offensive line should be improved and I'll leave it at that. I'm not one to bash the coaching staff and no, I'm not related to anyone on the team. I just don't believe in trashing people especially if you've never coached at the division 1 level yourself.
So.... I'll be happy with 7-5. Anything above that is gravy.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
5-7. Warde monitors, keeps Coach Blue, BY meltdown.

pj

Reaction Score
Head 4-8, heart 6-6. I just want to go to a bowl, I've forgotten what they're like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom