What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's the consensus expectation this year for the Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
20 years ago. Oh ok.. Those are some old cherries! Apologist.

Your name-calling is super effective. I'm pretty sure you could start a religion with a silver tongue like that.

Reaction Score
You talk as though your opinion is fact. It's not.

Everyone is a better coach when they have better players. McNabb, Harrison, Rhodes, etc. A coach earns his keep when he does more with less. P & GDL, IN MY OPINION, have been epic failures in this regard.

Say what you want about Edsall. The guy far surpasses P in this area. And there's the problem. P needs to recruit much better players because he can't coach them up. Can he recruit effectively enough considering all the realignment crap? I don't personally think so.

Except Edsall has better talent now and is doing worse than Edsall. So would you fire Edsall at Maryland, then, since he's clearly a worse coach than Pasqualoni because he's doing worse with better talent?

Or does Edsall get context? i.e., Edsall had injuries so he gets a break, but Pasqualoni, with a new QB, new O-line, new WR's... nope. He's just a schmuck.

Again, I never said that Pasqualoni is the answer. I simply believe he has not done poor enough of a job to not be given a third year. And given how our last coach ended up after 2 very dismal years to start, as well as success at the BCS level, I think it's worth giving a shot.

You disagree, which is cool. But your simplistic manner of arguing and inability to even mentally grasp the idea that semi-intelligent life forms may look at the same complex amount of information as you and come to a different conclusion makes me think you're either a) not that bright, or b) kind of a jerk.

Reaction Score
what happens to this board if the team goes 7-5 this year.
Does PP get any credit for that? Or do people suggest that this team should have been 9-3 or 10-2.
It seems that PP is going to be the next Edsall. No matter what he does, someone will always bring up some shortcoming or some argument about how the program could have been better.

I've said it before, but even Calhoun with over 800 wins and 3 NC's was severely questioned the year before winning the 3rd NC... numerous posts about him retiring or past his prime. If we can do that to one of the greatest coaches of all time, coaches like PP or Edsall don't stand a chance.

BTW, if Geno can't figure out a way to beat ND and loses to them again, he should be gone. The guy is losing it. Uconn can't afford another crap season like this. :mad:

Reaction Score
Towson-W
Buffalo-W
SMU-W/L
Temple-W/L
Memphis-W
Maryland-Leaning towards L
Michigan-L
USF-W
Cincy-L
UCF-Leaning towards L
Rutgers-Leaning towards L
Ville-L

So, what I put as near assured wins: 4
Near assured losses: 3
Almost assured losses: 3
Toss Ups: 2

It's gonna be tough, but a bowl game is possible. There's five games that I can't count the Huskies out in right off the bat, so you need to get two of those. Ceiling is 9 wins.

Reaction Score
Does PP get any credit for that? Or do people suggest that this team should have been 9-3 or 10-2.
It seems that PP is going to be the next Edsall. No matter what he does, someone will always bring up some shortcoming or some argument about how the program could have been better.

I've said it before, but even Calhoun with over 800 wins and 3 NC's was severely questioned the year before winning the 3rd NC... numerous posts about him retiring or past his prime. If we can do that to one of the greatest coaches of all time, coaches like PP or Edsall don't stand a chance.

BTW, if Geno can't figure out a way to beat ND and loses to them again, he should be gone. The guy is losing it. Uconn can't afford another crap season like this. :mad:

Well, if he actually had a 7-5 season or even a 6-6 under his belt here then your statement would have some validity.

But he hasn't done anything as the head coach at CT to indicate that he is building a winner here. It took him almost two full seasons to string together consecutive wins. In order to bank some good will, you actually have to do some good.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Towson-W
Buffalo-W
SMU-W/L
Temple-W/L
Memphis-W
Maryland-Leaning towards L
Michigan-L
USF-W
Cincy-L
UCF-Leaning towards L
Rutgers-Leaning towards L
Ville-L

So, what I put as near assured wins: 4
Near assured losses: 3
Almost assured losses: 3
Toss Ups: 2

It's gonna be tough, but a bowl game is possible. There's five games that I can't count the Huskies out in right off the bat, so you need to get two of those. Ceiling is 9 wins.

I said 8-4, 5-2 pre-bye, 3-2 post bye

Towson-W
Buffalo-W
SMU-L
Temple-W
Memphis-W
Maryland- W
Michigan-L
USF-W
Cincy-L
UCF- W
Rutgers - W
Ville - L

There is probably both an unexpect win and unexpected loss but that is how I see the season going.

Reaction Score
Well, if he actually had a 7-5 season or even a 6-6 under his belt here then your statement would have some validity.

But he hasn't done anything as the head coach at CT to indicate that he is building a winner here. It took him almost two full seasons to string together consecutive wins. In order to bank some good will, you actually have to do some good.
recruiting is improved...
we have serious talent competing at QB for the first time in several years...
4 players were invited to the NFL combine (I believe it was 4).
we had the #9 rated defense last season...

There have been positives. they have translated into W's yet.

And, it's been 2 seasons!!!!!

Reaction Score

I only care about results on the field. Wanny was a great recruiter at Pitt, they had Top 25 classes. It means nothing.

In 2 seasons he has done an incredible amount of damage.

Reaction Score

In my view part of it is philosophical. Edsall came in assuming he would never get top level recruits and would have to coach up everyone. And he pretty much approached it that way and outside quarterback and wide receiver, he was pretty successful. Pasqualoni has a very different attitude. He expects to be recruiting at a higher level and doesn't have any interest in coaching players up. Hence all the talk about needing more prototype players and lack of talent. It was probably true, but Edsall just accepted that's what he could get and went about trying to make them better. Pasquolaoni assumed he could get better and went about trying to replace them. Whether he will succeed is still an open question. In the "old days" when it was assumed that a new coach would have 5 years to get his recruits and show what he could do, Pasqualoni's approach might be viable. Not so sure in the current environment, where 3 years is considered "too long" that it will be workable.

Husky25

Reaction Score
In my view part of it is philosophical. Edsall came in assuming he would never get top level recruits and would have to coach up everyone. And he pretty much approached it that way and outside quarterback and wide receiver, he was pretty successful. Pasqualoni has a very different attitude. He expects to be recruiting at a higher level and doesn't have any interest in coaching players up. Hence all the talk about needing more prototype players and lack of talent. It was probably true, but Edsall just accepted that's what he could get and went about trying to make them better. Pasquolaoni assumed he could get better and went about trying to replace them. Whether he will succeed is still an open question. In the "old days" when it was assumed that a new coach would have 5 years to get his recruits and show what he could do, Pasqualoni's approach might be viable. Not so sure in the current environment, where 3 years is considered "too long" that it will be workable.

Are you trying to defend Coach Pasqualoni, by saying he has no interest to performing the duties required to succeed in the position for which he was hired? If not, you need to pick your words a tad more carefully. The word is right there in his title (Coach)?

It is absolutely a major part of his job to ensure each and every player in his charge is coached to the appropriate level. If he doesn't do it, his assistant coaches should. If they don't, the whole lot should be relieved from their coaching obligations forthwith.

There is more to coaching than recruiting, there is more to coaching than play calling, and there is more to coaching than teaching. He's been around for decades. He should understand that.

Reaction Score
Are you trying to defend Coach Pasqualoni, by saying he has no interest to performing the duties required to succeed in the position for which he was hired? If not, you need to pick your words a tad more carefully. The word is right there in his title (Coach)?

It is absolutely a major part of his job to ensure each and every player in his charge is coached to the appropriate level. If he doesn't do it, his assistant coaches should. If they don't, the whole lot should be relieved from their coaching obligations forthwith.

There is more to coaching than recruiting, there is more to coaching than play calling, and there is more to coaching than teaching. He's been around for decades. He should understand that.

One could argue that recent evidence says he does... UConn Players Say Pasqualoni Prepared Them For NFL Future. Ryan Griffin has been equally complementary as have others.

Reaction Score
You disagree, which is cool. But your simplistic manner of arguing and inability to even mentally grasp the idea that semi-intelligent life forms may look at the same complex amount of information as you and come to a different conclusion makes me think you're either a) not that bright, or b) kind of a jerk.

You're gonna lecture me about arguing in a simplistic manner and then compare and contrast Edsall and P's first few years at UConn? Give me a break. Yes, Edsall's and Pasqualoni's first 2 years at UConn were under the exact same circumstances?

Are you not bright enough to add a little context to the different circumstances that each started under? Or are you just a jerk?

Husky25

Reaction Score
One could argue that recent evidence says he does... UConn Players Say Pasqualoni Prepared Them For NFL Future. Ryan Griffin has been equally complementary as have others.

I never said that he did or didn't. I just said that coaching his players up to the appropriate talent level is a major part of his job.

Scooter intimated that Coach Pasqualoni's philosophy is to recruit better so he doesn't have to perform duties he has no interest in performing (coaching them up). I asked Scooter if he was defending Coach Pasqualoni by saying he has no interest in doing a major part of his job.

Reaction Score
That's great. Can we incorporate winning some football games into that preparation now as well? Unbelievable the lengths people will go to defend their boy.

... as well as the lengths that people will go to continue to shoot someone no matter how many holes are already in the body.:) Don't disagree on the winning though.

Reaction Score
PP at the best gets a C for his performance at Uconn. Probably a C -.

The win at Louisville helps ( beating a top 25 team, with an elite QB on the road). The Maryland win was a positive and The recruiting boast helps also. he is upgrading the talent relative to what he started with in 2011. (Which should help in the long term).

His main problem is complacency (with his tactics) and his nepotism relating to his former OC. specifically, he made a preferential hire. Who was unwilling or incapable of adapting to the players on the roster and or alternatively, developing the players effectively to implement his schemes.This is all well known from 2011 and 2012.

Now as a HC, when you and your staff go over all of the film breakdown everyone's performance for the year (players and coaches), it is his (PP) responsibility to make sure all the necessary changes are made. He's the captain of the ship. So when the offense comes in 2012 with high hopes, a new qb and supposed momentum from a year in the system, and they are absolutely horrible, even worse than the prior year, it falls right in PP's lap.

No excuses.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And last year, while getting the credit for the lousy offense, he got no credit for the very strong defense. On the whole, the team underperformed. We all know it and PP knows it. Changes were made. If the talent held us back or just the coaching, we'll find out soon enough. Given the close losses with few points scored, it wouldn't take much for the same talent level to perform just better enough for 7 wins. That talent should have won games against NC State, USF and Temple for sure and probably should have lost to Louisville.

Reaction Score

It is really a question of how you go about things. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. Just that there are two different approaches. Edsall's was to take 1 and 2 star players and get them to play like 3 and 4 star players. Pasqualoni' is different. He wants to get 3 and 4 star players to begin with. the problem is that it takes a few years to do that, and in the mean time you have all these lesser players you need to either replace or coach up. Pasqualoni is trying to replace them. It might work. It might not work. So he's willing to take a step back before he goes forward. The question is whether he'll run out of time. Another 5-7 or worse and we will never know if his plan would have worked. By the way, it is not at all part of his job to get each and every player to his highest level. It is to put together a winning football team. If that means some guys never get off the bench, so be it.

Reaction Score
... as well as the lengths that people will go to continue to shoot someone no matter how many holes are already in the body.:) Don't disagree on the winning though.

Well, he shot himself full of holes when hired Dummy DeLeone to run his offense for him and then made a bad situation worse by demoting a successful offensive line coach and having Dummy coach that position too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It is really a question of how you go about things. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. Just that there are two different approaches. Edsall's was to take 1 and 2 star players and get them to play like 3 and 4 star players. Pasqualoni' is different. He wants to get 3 and 4 star players to begin with. the problem is that it takes a few years to do that, and in the mean time you have all these lesser players you need to either replace or coach up. Pasqualoni is trying to replace them. It might work. It might not work. So he's willing to take a step back before he goes forward. The question is whether he'll run out of time. Another 5-7 or worse and we will never know if his plan would have worked. By the way, it is not at all part of his job to get each and every player to his highest level. It is to put together a winning football team. If that means some guys never get off the bench, so be it.

Nice response. Well, thought out, well supported, informative, and (best of all) rational...

However...I didn't said "highest level." I said "appropriate level," which dovetails nicely with putting together a winning football team. Fine line, maybe, but here's the difference: You hypothesize that Coach Pasqualoni is trying to replace current 1 star and 2 star players with 3 and 4 stars guys. I assume you also think that the 3s and 4s "get it." Here's my question...Shouldn't a coach at that point adjust his philosophy to take advantage of the 1s and 2s strengths, especially in the college game where the shelf life is a maximum of 4 years? That's what I mean by appropriate. Realize what you have and teach them what they need to know to succeed...period.

Albeit, mine is an untrained eye, but I just didn't see that at all on the offensive side of the ball. I.e. why a 7-step drop behind a weak pass blocking line? Why run a 160 lb back between the tackles ad naseum for short yardage? Why the "11" package...ever?

Reaction Score
Right now, I'd say 7-5 is my expectation. Assuming our defense and special teams are average, I have a feeling that Weist will run an offense ranked in the top half of FBS teams. He's been around good offenses at WKU and Cincy, so I think that should translate well here.

Of course, if PP and GDL run the same shuffle they did at their last year in Syracuse in 2004, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom