What Will It Take For You to Want PP Back? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Will It Take For You to Want PP Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had a program builder but let him go, why go backwards?

Not my point. Of course I would like Nick Saban. But let's be realistic. I'd like someone young and aggressive and energetic that doesn't have one foot out the door the minute he shows up.

pj

Reaction Score
Based on http://connecticut.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits rankings, here's who may get pushed back to 2014:

Chris Britton, LB, 88
Jordan Fuchs, TE, 83
Jalan Branford, DB, 78 but talented http://247sports.com/Player/Jalan-Branford-28959
Jamar Summers, WR/DB, 78

Of those, I consider Britton, Fuchs, and Branford well above the average quality of UConn recruits. Summers probably below average.

Then we have 2012 recruits who got pushed back to JUCO and 2014: Jason Sylva who has emerged as one of the top JUCO linebackers in the country (has reaffirmed his commitment to UConn for 2014), Rennick Bryan, and Neally Cunningham.

Reaction Score
Umm, not quite. Awful rankings wise. Bottom and avg ranking very low. It's by no means an upgrade over Randy and we've seen his product on the field.

I can't fathom anyone likes this hire or guy. He's so awful, I don't know where to start.

You are full of crap. The 2013 recruiting class on paper is the best class we have had and P pulled that off with the conference falling apart.

Reaction Score
Has anyone bee paying attention to what Warde's been doing with UConn hockey to make his first "real" hire rather than just whining blindly?

Fire PP.

Reaction Score
Based on http://connecticut.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits rankings, here's who may get pushed back to 2014:

Chris Britton, LB, 88
Jordan Fuchs, TE, 83
Jalan Branford, DB, 78 but talented http://247sports.com/Player/Jalan-Branford-28959
Jamar Summers, WR/DB, 78

Of those, I consider Britton, Fuchs, and Branford well above the average quality of UConn recruits. Summers probably below average.

Then we have 2012 recruits who got pushed back to JUCO and 2014: Jason Sylva who has emerged as one of the top JUCO linebackers in the country (has reaffirmed his commitment to UConn for 2014), Rennick Bryan, and Neally Cunningham.

I honestly don't want to squabble about the quality, or lack thereof, of P's recruits. At this point I'm interested in on field results. Period. Otherwise we'll be sipping the bitter irony of trying to upgrade one (very important) program and ending up destroying the entire athletic department. As of right this moment, we're in that eddy that forms in the toilet when the handle is pressed.

5-7 and 5-7. That was our performance on the field when re-alignment was reaching plasma temperatures. If there was any doubt as to whether or not we should be passed over before Hathaway's final brain fart arrived, Pasqualoni's pathetic performance in a pathetic (but looking mighty good right about now) conference removed it.

The re-alignment model has shifted. It is no longer a sellers' market (us being among the sellers). They are no longer (if they indeed ever were) looking for the "best available" additions. It's a buyers' market now and we can't sell what we don't got.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
A bid to the B1G on the basis that Coach P has to return as the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Your point is garbage because P's first two recruiting classes haven't seen the field yet. Were you expecting Lagow to contribute last year?
We've had true frosh, RS frosh and true sophs get considerble PT during the days of the inferior talent the RE brought in. Why haven't any of P's superior recruits seen the field?

Reaction Score

Chris Britton, LB, 88
Jordan Fuchs, TE, 83
Jamar Summers, WR/DB, 78

I really think Britton is a 2013 PJ.

Reaction Score
The case against PP is self evident. Took a program on the rise coming off a BCS game and turned in consecutive 5-7 seasons while discarding the indentity of a tough smashmouth football team in favor of a system that promises a more NFL style techniques in an effort to entice recruits to come to a cold-weather school snubbed by the CFB establishment.

Everyone gave him a pass for having to play a walk-on QB and to some extent a JUCO transfer the second, but the boneheaded game management, playcalling, and inability of the team to run the most basic plays has him where he is.

To return he simply has to prove everyone wrong, this year. The offense must show, using the same players as last year, that they can sustain drives and score points. The defense must show, losing 4 starters to the NFL, that it can maintain through the promised upgrade in recruiting PP was supposed to deliver. And of course, win a few games.

If he wins 8, whether its 8 regular season games or 7 games plus a bowl win over a name opponent, he'll likely be back. 7 wins will be tough call for WM, but the fans won't want him back at all if the team doesn't pass the above eyeball test.

If we can't run the ball against Towson, WM should fire him on the spot. Maybe at halftime. (I'm kidding about that, but not as much as you might think.)
took a program on the rise? More like peaked.
He had no ability to recruit his first year and was left with Johnny Mac for his QB. Nothing against the kid, but he wasn't a legit starter for s BCS caliber program.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
took a program on the rise? More like peaked.
He had no ability to recruit his first year and was left with Johnny Mac for his QB. Nothing against the kid, but he wasn't a legit starter for s BCS caliber program.
Look at the rosters he had in 2011 & 2012 (we can list a good number of NFL draft picks for a program that had already peaked), the competition we faced each of those seasons and tell me how many wins in each would be sufficient to view the coaching leadership as merely competent.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Back to the OP, I think its more than just a W-L record. As an example of that, let me submit the following hypothetical:

- What if we did make one of those field goals against Temple and won that game?

Assuming no other knock-on affects, that would imply that we would have gone 6-6, probably gone to a bowl game, and would have exhibited a slight improvement over the prior year's performance. Despite that, I strongly believe that most of the people here calling for PP's firing would still have done so. And that's because the manner in which UConn football competed last year was so unsatisfactory. As both GDL and PP were quoted saying at various points in the year, we played games to keep things close, not to dominate. That just isn't the way to approach football in my mind.

If our team managed to eke out a few more wins this year (i.e. 7-5 regular season) but it looks a lot like this past year's team (i.e. maybe we pick up one or two more friendly bounces but still play uninspired offensive football), I'd still want PP gone. If we go 7-5 but we look like a more finished product on the field, dominate the lesser competition and play the stronger teams tough? I'd probably buy in for one more year even though it would mean listening to more ad nauseum debate from the people who will never be happy with PP.

Reaction Score
We've had true frosh, RS frosh and true sophs get considerble PT during the days of the inferior talent the RE brought in. Why haven't any of P's superior recruits seen the field?

Don't be silly, the bulk of P's first recruiting class were true Freshmen last year and you can count on one hand the number of true freshman that have made a significant contribution on the field at UCONN. Whitmer, Shakim Phillips, Campenni, EJ Norris are P recruits who contributed last year. There are plenty of things for which we can criticize P, recruiting is not one of them, not yet, and I call BS on anyone who is doing so.

I expect a number of P recruits to see the field in 2013:

On offense: Whitmer, Shakim Phillips, Joe Williams, Ricky Gutierezz , Claxx, Hemingway, maybe Lamelle, possibly Schafenacker, maybe Rugg, Levy or Samra if a lineman goes down and possibly Marriner if the staff thinks he can contribute.

On Defense: Graham Stewart, Ryan Donohue, EJ Norris, Campenni, Mykal Myers, Knappe, Jhavon Williams, Omaine Stevens.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing his recruiting. I also however am not praising it (and will not until I see something that warrants praise).

Call me silly if you want but I won't judge a class until after the recruits have become upperclassmen. I know of a number of recruits (including a few transfers) who were praised on boards such as this one before they ever saw the field only to either become afterthoughts or in a stray case, get criticized constantly. Frazer was praised beyond description when he chose us yet most here (many of whom were among those showering praise) wanted him tarred and feathered by Halloween 2009.

You do have the right to call BS on anyone criticizing P's recruiting this early in the game. I have the right to do the same for anyone praising his recruiting this early in the game. We have zero evidence to suggest that the quality of recruit has improved from earlier classes.

Reaction Score
We have zero evidence to suggest that the quality of recruit has improved from earlier classes.

We don't have a lot of evidence, but I do think there is evidence that we are winning more battles for sought after recruits and to see an uptick in that area after the conference fell apart is impressive. There is also evidence that we have more recruits coming in, so much so that we are now over the scholarship limit, that never happened before. My gut tells me that P puts more time into recruiting and building relationships then our former coach did.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As subjective as it is at this point in time, personally, I think P is recruiting better. I do not have confidence that he will make it work on the field, though. In the end, it is on the field results. You are what your record says you are.

Reaction Score
Look at the rosters he had in 2011 & 2012 (we can list a good number of NFL draft picks for a program that had already peaked), the competition we faced each of those seasons and tell me how many wins in each would be sufficient to view the coaching leadership as merely competent.
5 of the 6 draft picks were defensive. nobody will suggest that defense has been our issue the past two seasons.

I think 5-7 in the first year was on par with expectations. Last year, I think 7 wins was a fair expectation.
a first year QB, notable weakness on the OL, but a very legit defense.

So over two years, my opinion is that PP is about 2 games under where he should be. The offense was the big issue, and unless I'm mistaken, we have a new OC.

PP needs 7-8 wins this year against this schedule to continue. But I also think at least two wins need to come against Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy or Michigan.

Reaction Score
5 of the 6 draft picks were defensive. nobody will suggest that defense has been our issue the past two seasons.

I think 5-7 in the first year was on par with expectations. Last year, I think 7 wins was a fair expectation.

So over two years, my opinion is that PP is about 2 games under where he should be. The offense was the big issue, and unless I'm mistaken, we have a new OC.

PP needs 7-8 wins this year against this schedule to continue. But I also think at least two wins need to come against Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy or Michigan.

PP needed a minimum 7 wins LAST year to show some modest improvement over a disappointing first year. I'm in no mood to entertain suggestions that, because he underperformed the last two years, we should lower expectations to keep pace with his incompetence.

Reaction Score
PP needed a minimum 7 wins LAST year to show some modest improvement over a disappointing first year. I'm in no mood to entertain suggestions that, because he underperformed the last two years, we should lower expectations to keep pace with his incompetence.
you need to seperate your bias as a fan vs what impact PP could have made in his first year. hired late, minimal impact on recruits, installs a new system and has minimal talent at QB. And you really thought he could do better than 5-7?
Just don't see it.

If you don't like the guy, or don't think he can improve our program I get it. Nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

But, if he gets 7-8 wins this year, don't be surprised if he comes back for another year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Marty: do you think HCPP would have done any better if he was an earlier hire in year 1?
He is a terrible game coach and that is a fact. Not canning GDL proves cronyism and that he cannot be trusted. I pray for 6-6 but we're looking at 4-8 most likely.

Reaction Score
Marty: do you think HCPP would have done any better if he was an earlier hire in year 1?
He is a terrible game coach and that is a fact. Not canning GDL proves cronyism and that he cannot be trusted. I pray for 6-6 but we're looking at 4-8 most likely.
I think it's hard for a lot of coaches in their first year. Getting players that were recruited for a different system to buy into a new system is difficult. Would more time have gotten a different result. Probably not.
Being hired late probably will have the biggest impact this year. Those players he may have been able to recruit would be going into their 3rd season (2nd if redshirt). They would have a big impact this year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I will cede the recruiting aspect (for now) but he best learn how to call timeouts, take a knee, stop the chinese fire drill wildcat, and use his backup RBs more.

Reaction Score
One of the most important parts of the offense the quarterback the leader on te field was missi g in his first year. First we rode a walk on for a season the. He went out and got himself a damn good one in cw. Who probably will rival orlovski by the time e graduates. Last year was his first year. He is only going to get better.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

You're kidding right? Two games under where he should be? We really (again, considering the schedule we faced) only have had .500 talent during P's tenure here?

I can begin by pointing out two games against WMU where we were completely unprepared each time. I'll follow that up with the season ending games against Cincy (each of his two years here) where (with a bowl bid on the line no less) the team also looked unprepared for the game and did not start playing (did make each game competitive however, which is both a comment on the team's heart and an indictment on their preparation for these critical games) until after spotting the Bearcats large leads in each game. There is no way that you can convince me that the Iowa St team that visited the Rent early in the 2011 season was a better team than we were nor can you convince me that we did not give away the game against Vandy the week before.

Being conservative I see five or six games we lost over the past two seasons that an adequate coach would have won. Being a fan of the program I would have difficulty accepting a coach who was merely adequate. There is no way in hell that I will not complain about the joke who is currently running the football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom