What Will It Take For You to Want PP Back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Will It Take For You to Want PP Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The case against PP is self evident. Took a program on the rise coming off a BCS game and turned in consecutive 5-7 seasons while discarding the indentity of a tough smashmouth football team in favor of a system that promises a more NFL style techniques in an effort to entice recruits to come to a cold-weather school snubbed by the CFB establishment.

Everyone gave him a pass for having to play a walk-on QB and to some extent a JUCO transfer the second, but the boneheaded game management, playcalling, and inability of the team to run the most basic plays has him where he is.

To return he simply has to prove everyone wrong, this year. The offense must show, using the same players as last year, that they can sustain drives and score points. The defense must show, losing 4 starters to the NFL, that it can maintain through the promised upgrade in recruiting PP was supposed to deliver. And of course, win a few games.

If he wins 8, whether its 8 regular season games or 7 games plus a bowl win over a name opponent, he'll likely be back. 7 wins will be tough call for WM, but the fans won't want him back at all if the team doesn't pass the above eyeball test.

If we can't run the ball against Towson, WM should fire him on the spot. Maybe at halftime. (I'm kidding about that, but not as much as you might think.)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we can't run the ball against Towson, WM should fire him on the spot. Maybe at halftime. (I'm kidding about that, but not as much as you might think.)

Spot on. Also, if we put our one and only trick play on video for our opponents to study when up by 30 points on Towson and then run the same exact play later in the season that gets our QB a concussion and results in halting a drive and losing an important game, WM should fire him on the spot. And I'm not kidding at all about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It really has to be 6-6 or better for this year's record. It's not just the bowl game aspect of this, but also a function of the schedule. Games against Towson, Buffalo, Temple, SMU, and Memphis really should be considered wins due to the talent disparity, and then if you can't find a way to win at least one game....ONE!....out of UCF, Rutgers, Maryland, USF, Michigan, Cincy, or Louisville (when 5 of those games are at home), then it's probably "happy trails" for PP...
This from the king of undefeated season predictions? I think CTMike has this right 6-6 gone, 7-6 in jeopardy, 8-6 safe for at least one more season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Spot on. Also, if we put our one and only trick play on video for our opponents to study when up by 30 points on Towson and then run the same exact play later in the season that gets our QB a concussion and results in halting a drive and losing an important game, WM should fire him on the spot. And I'm not kidding at all about that.
That was horrific, especially with a QB who likely was concussed the prior game. Agree, big time.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This from the king of undefeated season predictions? I think CTMike has this right 6-6 gone, 7-6 in jeopardy, 8-6 safe for at least one more season.

Oh, he's definitely going 13-0! I'm just speaking in mathematical terms. In other words I'm saying, "Assuming that I DIDN'T know that he was going 13-0, the math says he's back with a record of 6-6 or better"... ;)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In all seriousness though, I disagree with the people who believe that he is still in jeopardy with a 7-5 record. A 7-5 record likely means that he has a 4-4 record or better in conference AND he beat at least one of Maryland or Michigan. Added to that would be the fact that it would come with a bowl game, more excitement in the program, continued positive recruiting, and perhaps....PERHAPS....he may have even won three in a row during the season for once... :eek:

Reaction Score
7 wins in 2013 buys him another year. Needs at least 9 in 2014 or I think he should be gone.

Reaction Score
I believe the retention or dismissal of PP will have less to do with his record this year and everything to do with how serious SH and WM are about moving us to the next level (B1G). If they are serious, limping into a Bowl game still provides a rationale for letting him go. If they're happy with the AAC, improving his record but missing a bowl game can keep him employed.

Exactly! If I'm correct, this is his last year. How many years would he be signed for? WM didn't hire him. SH was involved only as a peripheral player. Given that major college football coaches are now considered the "most important people on campus" (SI) and given the importance of a perceptual over-haul for UCONN football, I don't think a National Championship buys PP much more than an "emeritus."

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
His best days were with WesConn in the early '80s. He has been a disaster. He goes after this year.

Reaction Score
His best days were with WesConn in the early '80s. He has been a disaster. He goes after this year.
The guy can recruit. He's got connections in the NFL and knows what it takes to make it in the NFL and for guys like Sio & Trevardo & Blidhi that's gold. His forte` is defense and smooth talking high school coaches and parents so if he can bring in a offensive guru to run that side of things maybe this isn't as much a disaster as a changing of the guard. Keep in mind Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma didn't just show up on the scene and immediately start pumping out national championships. It took JC almost 15 years for his first and Geno almost a decade. And to those that claim Edsall handed him some BCS bowl caliber team your just plain wrong. Edsall blew out of here after winning a 3 way tie with an 8-4 regular season record, left no experienced quarterback or half back and no warning that he was even thinking of leaving so the next guy in had about 2 1/2 weeks to secure a recruiting class before signing day not to mention put a staff together.

Reaction Score
The guy can recruit.

In what universe?

ESPN has our incoming class ranked #72. We don't need a caretaker coach or one whose incremental progress is measured in millimeters at best. To get out of the AAC we need a game changer. Based on 2013, 7 L's is looking like a high water mark for this guy.

Reaction Score
I agree, guy is awful in all aspects. We heard about his recruiting prowess and his 1st two classes are basically the worst ranked in BE and bottom 3-5 of all BCS programs.

7-5 will get him his last year on contract, anything short and he'll be gone. He also benefits from having an incapable AD watching over him.

In what universe?

ESPN has our incoming class ranked #72. We don't need a caretaker coach or one whose incremental progress is measured in millimeters at best. To get out of the AAC we need a game changer. Based on 2013, 7 L's is looking like a high water mark for this guy.

Reaction Score
I agree, guy is awful in all aspects. We heard about his recruiting prowess and his 1st two classes are basically the worst ranked in BE and bottom 3-5 of all BCS programs.

7-5 will get him his last year on contract, anything short and he'll be gone. He also benefits from having an incapable AD watching over him.

Mostly I want him gone because even if be has a great year he is a caretaker. I want a program builder.

Reaction Score
Mostly I want him gone because even if be has a great year he is a caretaker. I want a program builder.
We had a program builder but let him go, why go backwards?

Reaction Score
We had a program builder but let him go, why go backwards?

We didn't let Randy go, he escaped like a thief in the night and it was pretty clear for a number of years that he was itching to leave, he has since trashed CT football when he stated there are more D1 prospects in one high school in Maryland then there are in the entire state of CT (Stop). Personally I'm still glad he's gone, if nothing else our QB recruiting has significantly improved and that will hopefully pay off very soon. BTW Randy the Great is 0 -2 lifetime vs P.

Reaction Score

You are full of crap. The 2013 recruiting class on paper is the best class we have had and P pulled that off with the conference falling apart.

pj

Reaction Score
You are full of crap. The 2013 recruiting class on paper is the best class we have had and P pulled that off with the conference falling apart.

Several of the best athletes in the class of 2013 are going to prep / greyshirt for lack of scholarship space. If they all arrive then it will indeed be a great class. Until then, "on paper" are the key words -- "on verbal commitment" might be even more accurate.

Reaction Score
The 2013 recruiting class on paper is the best class we have had ...

Out of curiosity, where do you place the best "on paper" recruiting class bullet point in your pitch on the state of UConn football? A problem is better recruits combined with declining on-field performance make the program look even sorrier.

Reaction Score
A problem is better recruits combined with declining on-field performance make the program look even sorrier.

Your point is garbage because P's first two recruiting classes haven't seen the field yet. Were you expecting Lagow to contribute last year?

Reaction Score
Several of the best athletes in the class of 2013 are going to prep / greyshirt for lack of scholarship space. If they all arrive then it will indeed be a great class. Until then, "on paper" are the key words -- "on verbal commitment" might be even more accurate.

If they are that "great" why didn't they enroll elsewhere? If we were the best offer they had and they were willing to postpone their admittance that doesn't equate with "greatness" in my mind. "Great-for-us" and "great-without-qualification" are two different things.

Reaction Score
Your point is garbage because P's first two recruiting classes haven't seen the field yet. Were you expecting Lagow to contribute last year?

The level of your expectations has dream conference invitation written all over it.

Reaction Score
If they are that "great" why didn't they enroll elsewhere? If we were the best offer they had and they were willing to postpone their admittance that doesn't equate with "greatness" in my mind. "Great-for-us" and "great-without-qualification" are two different things.

Fuch's had an offer from Rutgers and Florida. Maybe you should get some facts before you post.

Reaction Score

When Warde goes out talking up UConn football, when does he get to "on paper" recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom