What side of the rivalry are you on- Boston/New York | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What side of the rivalry are you on- Boston/New York

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It provides an important buffer between New England and New York (the NYC area of it). You should be thankful.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've spent the bulk of my 62 years saying NYC is my frontyard and New England is my backyard. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would live anywhere but lower Fairfield county.

Reaction Score
live in Fairfield County
like:
Yankees
Nets
Jets

Hate:
Giants
Mets
Celtics
Patriots
Knicks
Rangers
Syracuse
Providence
Just curious. Why do you hate the Giants and Mets? I’m a Jets/Mets fan and I couldn’t care less about the Yankees and Giants. Even with the Subway Series every year, I don’t care a lick about them.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My Father was a NY Yankee, Knick Ranger fan my Mother was RedSox, Celtics Bruins fan. So I grew up a Twins/Mets fan for baseball and a so so Knicks fan. I wasn't much of a hockey fan at all until I moved to the Tampa area and now I am a big Bolts fan. My Father got 4 Yankee/Sox tickets and 4 Knicks Celtics tickets and hung them on the Christmas tree - fun

Reaction Score
Meriden almost dead center.

UConn#1
Yanks - Tresh, Gibbs, Whitaker, Stottlemyre, Bahnsen to start - didn't win much.
Giants - Fran T, Ron Johnson, Tucker Fredrickson, Bob Tucker, Jack Gregory, Brad Van Pelt, Fred Dryer
Rangers - Brad Park, Ron Dugay, Ron Greshner
Celtics - Hondo, Sam, Jo Jo, Big Red

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Back to the topic.

My father (passed away a couple decades ago, would be in his early 90's if he was still around) was a huge Yankee fan (primarily due to DiMaggio) and was a teen during the mid-late 1940's pennant races. The way things were then. You were a fan of your team, then a fan of the league your team was in. In the World Series he would want the AL team to win even if the Yankees weren't playing.

One unique thing I remember from my youth (I believe it was this way until the late 1970's) was the Sox had a minor league team in Waterbury and the Yankees had one in New Haven (I think briefly East Haven instead). The line that separated fans was kind of between the two until you got a good amount north or east of New Haven, then it was almost entirely Sox fans.

I was always a Yankees/Giants/Rangers/Knicks fan but I seldom held any I'll will towards another team (disclaimer, this does not apply to college sports). Normally the only time I want to see any specific team lose that my team isn't playing is if one outcome would be more advantageous for my team than the other. The one exception was the Cowboys when I was young but there was a valid reason.

In the 1960's two members of the Giants coaching staff lived in my neighborhood. Every kid at first was a Giant fan but by the late 1960's quite a few jumped ship and became Cowboy fans. I viewed them as traitors but it got worse as they also were quite obnoxious towards anyone who hadn't joined them.

Reaction Score
Meriden almost dead center.

UConn#1
Yanks - Tresh, Gibbs, Whitaker, Stottlemyre, Bahnsen to start - didn't win much.
Giants - Fran T, Ron Johnson, Tucker Fredrickson, Bob Tucker, Jack Gregory, Brad Van Pelt, Fred Dryer
Rangers - Brad Park, Ron Dugay, Ron Greshner
Celtics - Hondo, Sam, Jo Jo, Big Red

Additional info on the other end of the rivalry:

Bruins - kinda root for them when Rangers are out.
Knicks - was rooting for them this post season, no biggie
Sox and Pats - same boat. When a kid nothing against them, friends in Meriden who were Sox fans we all got along fine. Moved to WesMass in '90 can't stand either of them. Root for anyone but, including the Cowboys and Eagles in NFL.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic.

My father (passed away a couple decades ago, would be in his early 90's if he was still around) was a huge Yankee fan (primarily due to DiMaggio) and was a teen during the mid-late 1940's pennant races. The way things were then. You were a fan of your team, then a fan of the league your team was in. In the World Series he would want the AL team to win even if the Yankees weren't playing.

One unique thing I remember from my youth (I believe it was this way until the late 1970's) was the Sox had a minor league team in Waterbury and the Yankees had one in New Haven (I think briefly East Haven instead). The line that separated fans was kind of between the two until you got a good amount north or east of New Haven, then it was almost entirely Sox fans.

I was always a Yankees/Giants/Rangers/Knicks fan but I seldom held any I'll will towards another team (disclaimer, this does not apply to college sports). Normally the only time I want to see any specific team lose that my team isn't playing is if one outcome would be more advantageous for my team than the other. The one exception was the Cowboys when I was young but there was a valid reason.

In the 1960's two members of the Giants coaching staff lived in my neighborhood. Every kid at first was a Giant fan but by the late 1960's quite a few jumped ship and became Cowboy fans. I viewed them as traitors but it got worse as they also were quite obnoxious towards anyone who hadn't joined them.
Interesting you say this. My dad would've turned 80 a couple days ago. So he grew up a bit later than your dad and Mantle was his guy but he used to pull for the Red Sox if the Yankees were out of it and the Red Sox moved on. I never understood it and used to bust his chops about it because this is when the rivalry was huge during the Jeter, Nomar, Ortiz years but he always said I don't care, I'm a division guy.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I always looked at Connecticut being split between the “ Tri-State” and “New England”.
From the Stamford area to New Haven County = “ Tri- state area” and the other half of Connecticut being part of New England. Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets= Tri-State. Patriots, Red Sox= New England.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Hartford County, then moved to New Haven County for a little bit, then moved to Fairfield County for a little bit, then moved to NYC for a few years

So I guess I'm on NY's side :)

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Just curious. Why do you hate the Giants and Mets? I’m a Jets/Mets fan and I couldn’t care less about the Yankees and Giants. Even with the Subway Series every year, I don’t care a lick about them.
grew up in a household of Giants and Mets fans
my contrarian side drove me to the Cowboys and Yankees
we've had some exciting/angry Cowboys v Giants football Sundays

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you find Mets/Jets fans.
I was 100% a Mets/Jets fan. There were lots of us in lower Fairfield Cty. Was originally a Knicks fan until Dr. J came to Nets. Was also a mild Rangers fan until the Islanders signed Potvin. That said, the Sox were my 2nd favorite MLB team, along with pretty much any other AL team that was playing the Yankees.

Reaction Score
born/raised in Queens:
Giants
Mets
Knicks
Bruins - liked Bobby Orr

Reaction Score
I was born in MA; my mom is from MA; and she met my dad when he was playing ball in a summer league between semesters in MA -- so I, and my family, root for primarily Boston teams.

My grandparents (my mom's parents) were such devoted Sox fans that my grandmother used to listen to each game on the radio and compile a detailed box score for my grandfather to peruse when he got home from work. And watching the final outs of the 2004 World Series, while on the phone with my dad, will always be one of my most cherished memories.

Hockey -- Bruins (with Tampa Bay a second choice); football -- Patriots, although when I was growing up we also liked the Giants, and I also liked the Raiders; and basketball -- UConn, and whatever NBA team has UConn players (although my dad still follows the Celtics).

Reaction Score
Fairfield County - as a kid I was a huge Knicks and Giants fan. At some point I Started rooting for the Jets as I liked some of the players so everyone considers me a Jets fan, but in all honesty I’ve always been more fond of the Giants.

First MLB game was a Mets game so naturally I became a fan. However as I got older I found myself much more a fan of Boston than NYC so I’ve started to have more interest in the Sox.

Overall I was a huge professional sports fan as a kid but since HS/college it’s been all UConn. Not to say I don’t watch/follow professional sports because I definitely do, I just can’t find myself having a rooting interest in one team.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. My brother and dad were Red Sox fans. We all hated the Yankees.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Giants / Yankees / Devils / Knicks

But to be honest, of the 4 I really don't care or follow them anymore outside of the Giants. Was a Yankee die hard as a kid during the Bernie/Jeter era but I've been really turned off by MLB in recent years particularly with the expanded playoffs. I'll watch Yankees/Devils playoffs and Knicks I'll watch playoffs if it's convenient.

Basically UConn hoop and UConn football > all

Reaction Score
Patriots (since 1974 so save your bandwagon crap, I suffered more 1-15 seasons than any team in NFL history)
Sox
Celts (kinda)
Don’t give a crap about hockey

UConn men’s hoops more than all of those combined x 100

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Boston

But I don't hate NY teams, no reason too

Reaction Score
Patriots (since 1974 so save your bandwagon crap, I suffered more 1-15 seasons than any team in NFL history)
Sox
Celts (kinda)
Don’t give a crap about hockey

UConn men’s hoops more than all of those combined x 100
Fits me to a tee, do you live in Windham County?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Grew up in Vernon with a split family mostly favoring Yankees. I was a die hard Sox fan.

Sixers in hoops
Whalers for hockey
Rams and Jets for NFL

UConn for college sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member