What I'm happiest about next season ... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What I'm happiest about next season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At 50 days shy of my 83rd birthday, I claim some insight that comes with longevity and experience.

My carefully considered view:rolleyes: is that we all have three stages in our lives:
1. When we're young;
2. When we're mature; and,
*3. When our friends tell us how good we look.

* (I'm here:D)

How about you?
I haven't done the calculations but it's near 50 days to my 83'rd. I look in the obits and mirror every morning to see if I'm still here. My father is looking back at me from the mirror. Most of my relatives and friends (if I ever had any) are no longer critiquing me.
I'd phrase your comment a bit differently:
1. When I knew EVERYTHING about everything (but then we were not allowed opinions of our own)
2. When I began to know what I didn't know
3. When I know I'll never know, what I and other really don't know, but it's ok with me
. (I like the word Ignorant--it means I don't know what I don't know, it's not an insult)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I haven't done the calculations but it's near 50 days to my 83'rd. I look in the obits and mirror every morning to see if I'm still here. My father is looking back at me from the mirror. Most of my relatives and friends (if I ever had any) are no longer critiquing me.
1. When I knew EVERYTHING about everything (but then we were not allowed opinions of our own)
3. When I know I'll never know, what I and other really don't know, but it's ok with me
. (I like the word Ignorant--it means I don't know what I don't know, it's not an insult)

Mark Twain once said how ashamed/disappointed he was at age 16 at how dumb his father was.

Then when he turned 21 he was amazed at how much his dad had learned in just five years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At 50 days shy of my 83rd birthday, I claim some insight that comes with longevity and experience.

My carefully considered view:rolleyes: is that we all have three stages in our lives:
1. When we're young;
2. When we're mature; and,
*3. When our friends tell us how good we look.

* (I'm here:D)

How about you?
Must be a fourth stage. Cause I sure ain't young, and as many of you can attest, I'm not mature, and there is definitely nobody telling me I look good. :cool:

Reaction Score
what are the signs that you see that shows a lack of confidence in ANY player... has KML or Stewie shown anything similar to Chong, how bout Nurse or Tuck? I want to be on the same page since Ive watched the same 2 years and I cant "see" lack of confidence in ANY player.
Hi DaddyChoc - beautiful day today. Don't want to get caught in the crossfire, but I thought I saw a few things about confidence. First, KML and Stewie are special (Taursi,Moore) their pictures are in the dictionary next to the word "confident." You shoot your way out of a slump because the NEXT one is always going in. Tuck was wonderful this year beyond anyone's dreams--but she lost a little confidence in the NC game. She was tense and less secure about her scoring and it could be seen by everyone--she missed gimmies that she NEVER missed during the season. For the whole season, that was it for Tuck. Nurse was very similar and a hard core competitor. Only saw a few things early in the season with a shot not taken or a lane not driven through. Tough and confident.
Chong and Stokes showed lack of confidence when they had the ball in shooting range and did not take a wide open shot. This was a regular item. Chong would have the ball and the lane was wide open, but she was not confident enough (to make that decision) and she passed it. KML, Stewie, Tuck, and Nurse did not have a certain trait that was obvious in Chong---fear of failure. Whether it was a quick hook or not living up to expectations, she hesitated and was THINKING TOO MUCH. Far more than the others, she had paralysis through (too much) analysis. Chong thinks--Should I force a pass inside, should I take another 3 pointer, should I drive and dish--She lost her aggressiveness. Think back to numerous players on numerous teams when they state--I wasn't aggressive enough. One more thing. I heard and read many times that Chong was an outstanding practice player. That's a main reason why she started the season because she had 6 weeks of pre-season quality practice and Geno liked her enough to start her. Great practice players--no pressure or fear of failure. As we all know games magnify everything--the greatness (Stewie & KML) or the NERVES.
Hope my humble opinion sheds some light on the discussion.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Donald Rumsfeld. Where I come from it's an insult, considered synonymous with stupid, but technically you may be right. I think it connotes willfully ill-informed, ie, I choose to be ill-informed, because I'm too stupid to value knowing things and therefore don't wish to make the effort.

Reaction Score
Hi DaddyChoc - beautiful day today. Don't want to get caught in the crossfire, but I thought I saw a few things about confidence. First, KML and Stewie are special (Taursi,Moore) their pictures are in the dictionary next to the word "confident." You shoot your way out of a slump because the NEXT one is always going in. Tuck was wonderful this year beyond anyone's dreams--but she lost a little confidence in the NC game. She was tense and less secure about her scoring and it could be seen by everyone--she missed gimmies that she NEVER missed during the season. For the whole season, that was it for Tuck. Nurse was very similar and a hard core competitor. Only saw a few things early in the season with a shot not taken or a lane not driven through. Tough and confident.
Chong and Stokes showed lack of confidence when they had the ball in shooting range and did not take a wide open shot. This was a regular item. Chong would have the ball and the lane was wide open, but she was not confident enough (to make that decision) and she passed it. KML, Stewie, Tuck, and Nurse did not have a certain trait that was obvious in Chong---fear of failure. Whether it was a quick hook or not living up to expectations, she hesitated and was THINKING TOO MUCH. Far more than the others, she had paralysis through (too much) analysis. Chong thinks--Should I force a pass inside, should I take another 3 pointer, should I drive and dish--She lost her aggressiveness. Think back to numerous players on numerous teams when they state--I wasn't aggressive enough. One more thing. I heard and read many times that Chong was an outstanding practice player. That's a main reason why she started the season because she had 6 weeks of pre-season quality practice and Geno liked her enough to start her. Great practice players--no pressure or fear of failure. As we all know games magnify everything--the greatness (Stewie & KML) or the NERVES.
I do see lots of times Chong was fully open and she selected to pass instead of making a shot.
May be she was thinking that other players can shot better than her, or may be she was scared that if she did not make a good shot and the coach will blame her.

Sometimes I ask if we give Chong the chance like ND gave to Jewell Loyd (4-18 in the NC game) . Will we be much happier?

Reaction Score
I wasn't going to respond to this because I didn't feel I had to.I thought your thread is right on point!Thank You PhillyCoach!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reminds me of Donald Rumsfeld. Where I come from it's an insult, considered synonymous with stupid, but technically you may be right. I think it connotes willfully ill-informed, ie, I choose to be ill-informed, because I'm too stupid to value knowing things and therefore don't wish to make the effort.
Yea, I've found a lot of people are ignorant of what ignorant really means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom