What I'm happiest about next season ... | The Boneyard

What I'm happiest about next season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Butler.

Geno seemed unable to find a big to help fill in the looming gap at center when Kiah graduated. Not for lack of trying, mind you. It just seemed like every decent high school post player seemed to have other plans in mind.

Then his phone rings. Talk about 'stepping in it!'

Tuck.

One of my all-time favorite Huskies, but snakebit by injuries in high school and college. And now I get to see her play another year!

Have we ever had a more masterful player around the basket?

Reaction Score
Yes, would be very happy to see Stewart or Butler to dunk the balls....

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Next year should be quite interesting for Geno and staff. He will have a young team, but a very tall and talented team. Assuming that Butler starts, Jefferson will be the only starter for the huskies under 6 feet. This is going to give the opposing coaches nightmares (not that they don't get them already when UConn is next up on their schedule). It's assumed that the Huskies will pick up where they left off, with all 5 starters averaging double figures in scoring. Some the freshmen are going to have to quickly adapt to this level of play. As of now, the only subs off the bench that Geno can count on are Chong and Williams. He needs at least one of the incoming freshmen to come in and make that transition so that she can play some significant minutes. Courtney Ekmark should be ready to assume a larger role this year. If she doesn't come back in October and impress in practice right away, she may find herself relegated to the end of the bench, right in front of Pulido and Lawlor. Most of UConn's early games next season will no doubt be against unranked "mid-majors", which will allow Geno to give his bench players significant playing time. You can bet that the incoming freshmen will be in the gym and weight room within 48 hours of their arrival on campus this summer. They'll be learning how to work out with the strength and conditioning coach, and play basketball UConn style, as they begin to make that transition from high school to college ball. The entire team should be in shape and ready to hit the ground running the first day of organized practice in October. Despite losing two of their most productive players (KML & Stokes), UConn is still the odds on favorite to win their 11th national championship next year. Who will become the new "designated shooter" now that KML is gone? Several top ten teams have bolstered their rosters with high ranked blue chip All Americans in an effort to close the gap between them and UConn. Notre Dame, Tennessee, South Carolina, Maryland, Duke, Baylor and Louisville have all greatly improved their rosters, and should prove to be extremely formidable next season. Once UConn jells (around the end of December), They should look like and play like the Huskie teams we have come to know and love.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Tennessee, South Carolina, Maryland, Duke, Baylor and Louisville have all greatly improved their rosters, and should prove to be extremely formidable next season.
I don't know that Notre Dame, S. Carolina or Maryland have greatly improved their rosters. They'll be good, but I don't think any of the 3 will be better than last year.

Reaction Score
I think Butler will start and take pressure off of Stewie and Tuck.With Moriah shooting over 50% from 3 and Stewie,Tuck and Nurse improving from there they will be fine.Gabby and the 3 frosh will be the top players off the bench with KLS filling some of the gap for Lewis!I think the team to watch isTenn.If Diamond Deshields can blend her talents with the returning players and they play team ball they could end up in the finals.Maryland did get Gillepsie from Capital Prep who played in the Mcd. All-American game but I wonder why UConn didn't recruit her.I Don't think she played team ball and that is what turned them off about her.

Reaction Score
Next year should be quite interesting for Geno and staff. He will have a young team, but a very tall and talented team. Assuming that Butler starts, Jefferson will be the only starter for the huskies under 6 feet. This is going to give the opposing coaches nightmares (not that they don't get them already when UConn is next up on their schedule). It's assumed that the Huskies will pick up where they left off, with all 5 starters averaging double figures in scoring. Some the freshmen are going to have to quickly adapt to this level of play. As of now, the only subs off the bench that Geno can count on are Chong and Williams. He needs at least one of the incoming freshmen to come in and make that transition so that she can play some significant minutes. Courtney Ekmark should be ready to assume a larger role this year. If she doesn't come back in October and impress in practice right away, she may find herself relegated to the end of the bench, right in front of Pulido and Lawlor. Most of UConn's early games next season will no doubt be against unranked "mid-majors", which will allow Geno to give his bench players significant playing time. You can bet that the incoming freshmen will be in the gym and weight room within 48 hours of their arrival on campus this summer. They'll be learning how to work out with the strength and conditioning coach, and play basketball UConn style, as they begin to make that transition from high school to college ball. The entire team should be in shape and ready to hit the ground running the first day of organized practice in October. Despite losing two of their most productive players (KML & Stokes), UConn is still the odds on favorite to win their 11th national championship next year. Who will become the new "designated shooter" now that KML is gone? Several top ten teams have bolstered their rosters with high ranked blue chip All Americans in an effort to close the gap between them and UConn. Notre Dame, Tennessee, South Carolina, Maryland, Duke, Baylor and Louisville have all greatly improved their rosters, and should prove to be extremely formidable next season. Once UConn jells (around the end of December), They should look like and play like the Huskie teams we have come to know and love.

Except for Courtney and the three new Freshmen there shall be 8 others on the team with talent and experience. No argument here--I was wondering how THIS Uconn team is "young"? I've read this about other experienced teams and wonder who anointed them "young"??
This young term seems more readily applied to Women's BB teams, why? Except for Svet has Uconn ever had a more experienced Frosh than Kia Nurse? Gabby got good to great time, for me Pullido and Lawlor don't apply in the mix. Chong has experience in good to big games. Butler was the B.E. Center of the year, Stewie, Moriah, Morgan are Pro's. I expect Collier to jump right in with KLS and Boykin getting minutes and big time IF they develop fast enough. Remember these are "gut" feelings not a critical analysis done with vast knowledge of WBB. I really hate giving Geno his 11th NC until he earns it.
I know this is your envelop prognostication but for certain it shall be a pleasant year and hopefully a bit tougher.

Reaction Score
I think Butler will start and take pressure off of Stewie and Tuck.With Moriah shooting over 50% from 3 and Stewie,Tuck and Nurse improving from there they will be fine.Gabby and the 3 frosh will be the top players off the bench with KLS filling some of the gap for Lewis!I think the team to watch isTenn.If Diamond Deshields can blend her talents with the returning players and they play team ball they could end up in the finals.Maryland did get Gillepsie from Capital Prep who played in the Mcd. All-American game but I wonder why UConn didn't recruit her.I Don't think she played team ball and that is what turned them off about her.
Diamond DeShields reminds me of Maya Moore. If she wants, when she wants she can be scary good. She, with the right motivation, could easily make Tenn a "contender" KLS has the talent--but not College experience, USA yes, Div 1 No, I expect great things from the 3 new guys but I reserves making any of the 3 starters or even huge contributors--just yet. If Cillepsie is so great and a Ct player why didn't Geno get her??

Reaction Score
I don't know that Notre Dame, S. Carolina or Maryland have greatly improved their rosters. They'll be good, but I don't think any of the 3 will be better than last year.
The thing about those 3 is they have good to great coaching staffs that typically makes the most of what they have--and what they have isn't Southern Fried Steak Gravy. I like Mabrey and her sister, Riemer, Allen, and Weldbled (?) and Cable . Mabrey can shoot (IMO) as well as kML in the open and on the run, Cable too at times. I won't take ND out of contention just yet. (Muffet is my second least favorite coach, the guy from Green Bay is the winner)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields reminds me of Maya Moore. If she wants, when she wants she can be scary good. She, with the right motivation, could easily make Tenn a "contender" KLS has the talent--but not College experience, USA yes, Div 1 No, I expect great things from the 3 new guys but I reserves making any of the 3 starters or even huge contributors--just yet. If Cillepsie is so great and a Ct player why didn't Geno get her??
It will be very interesting to see how DD fits in at Tennessee.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The thing about those 3 is they have good to great coaching staffs that typically makes the most of what they have--and what they have isn't Southern Fried Steak Gravy. I like Mabrey and her sister, Riemer, Allen, and Weldbled (?) and Cable . Mabrey can shoot (IMO) as well as kML in the open and on the run, Cable too at times. I won't take ND out of contention just yet. (Muffet is my second least favorite coach, the guy from Green Bay is the winner)
I agree they will be good. But for instance I'm not sure ND can be better than or greatly improved their roster from last year while losing Loyd. And S. Carolina really hasn't added much while losing a bit. They'll be good, but I don't know if really better.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I would NEVER compare DD to Maya... Not in style, not in will to win, not in tempermant, not even in talent, not in any facet what so ever.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Wonk - there are a ton of things to look forward to next season, but hopefully the play of Butler will remind us of a young Dolson. And an entire season of a fully healthy Tuck - for stretches she was the most consistent and BEST player on the team last year.

OF course looking forward to improvements from everyone - sophomore leap for Gabby and Kia, the terrific trio of freshmen, and the senior season of Stewie and Mo, but of all the returning players, I'm most interested in what Saniya is able to do with improvements over the summer.

Reaction Score
I would NEVER compare DD to Maya... Not in style, not in will to win, not in tempermant, not even in talent, not in any facet what so ever.

It is a little funny at this point to here this kind of DD talk. I mean, she had some of the highest praises on this board up until she committed to UNC. One person who I have heard compare them and consider them on the same level is Angie Hembree. I also have seen Diamond win enough championships in high school and USA basketball to know she can very easily put the team first. Her will to win is off the charts, her talent is extremely rare in women's basketball and her temperament actually reminds me of both Taurasi and Parker. I would've said all this before she was a Lady Vol and just hope my expectations are not far off next season.

Reaction Score
Mabrey and KML? Never in the same sentence. Never.
chrissaran - Totally agree, but some posters really like Mabrey. I never saw it--especially all around game. I was shocked when I saw Mabrey's seasons stats--
7 pts a game - 38% fg-92 assists and 74 rebounds. Chong (in 160 less minutes last year ) 47% fg- 5.6 pts - 74 assists and 73 rebounds. Forgetaboutit when comparing Mabrey to KML or even Nurse. Next year Mabrey is the #4 best on that team with #5 ?? - not very strong IMHO.

Reaction Score
Maya's TEMPERMENT and demeanor have always been classy--that's true. In the few times I've seen Diamond her movements on the floor, her level of confidence and her abilities suggested Maya Moore. You can see Diamond any way you choose--you may even have a RIGHT to do so--allow me my right to see things differently. Opinions are like arm pits so says Geno.

Reaction Score
chrissaran - Totally agree, but some posters really like Mabrey. I never saw it--especially all around game. I was shocked when I saw Mabrey's seasons stats--
7 pts a game - 38% fg-92 assists and 74 rebounds. Chong (in 160 less minutes last year ) 47% fg- 5.6 pts - 74 assists and 73 rebounds. Forgetaboutit when comparing Mabrey to KML or even Nurse. Next year Mabrey is the #4 best on that team with #5 ?? - not very strong IMHO.
Now look up those compartive stats for minutes played. We'll have to wait until next year ---unless you have Carnac's envelops.

Reaction Score
It is a little funny at this point to here this kind of DD talk. I mean, she had some of the highest praises on this board up until she committed to UNC. One person who I have heard compare them and consider them on the same level is Angie Hembree. I also have seen Diamond win enough championships in high school and USA basketball to know she can very easily put the team first. Her will to win is off the charts, her talent is extremely rare in women's basketball and her temperament actually reminds me of both Taurasi and Parker. I would've said all this before she was a Lady Vol and just hope my expectations are not far off next season.
Oh my God someone wrote an OPINON about Diamond---and even compared her to Maya---the sky is falling!!! Next year remember your replay---funny thing about next year, it is always different than predicted. Do you want an envelop??

Reaction Score
It is interesting how choosing another College makes a superb player into an Also Ran!! I will admit Diamond's early demise at NC hurt her with some---but I doubt it had much to do with talent. You may be right about her WILL to WIN in the NCAA's last year I thought she didn't perform up to Uconn standards.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Well, look, you and your family are really screwed up when between the 3 of you you manage to commit to a program you do not want to be with. So, after a year of whatever, you move on. You are down one count in the brains department. You have an asterisk about the brain pan thing, pretty much forever, until you aren't with a couple of years of WCBB AA... until then you are a head case. DD this means you.

Is this a serious post? Heaven forbid that a 19 year old kid have a change of heart/mind. Remember...UCONN has a transfer kid too :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I cringe at comparisons between Maya and Deshields. They're both great athletes but their style of play and approach to the game are very different.

Reaction Score
Is this a serious post? Heaven forbid that a 19 year old kid have a change of heart/mind. Remember...UCONN has a transfer kid too :)

Amen to this.....We ALL had non-decisive moments when we were in our salad days..... oh how many mistakes in judgment we all made at 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom