What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now? | The Boneyard

What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year in another thread when he was left off a list of UConn NFL prospects, I opined that we'll be seeing him play on Sundays, too. If you recall, there were lots of doubters and naysayers.

Well, after today's UConn ProDay results, we now have some actual evidence rather than mere speculation:

Wes Welker---Texas Tech ProDay
Ht 5ft 9 Wt 186 40-yd dash 4.65s 20Yd-short shuttle 4.01s 3-cone 7.09s Vert 30in Broad 9ft 5in Bench Press 12 reps

Nick Williams---UConn ProDay
Ht 5ft 10 Wt 184 40-yd dash 4.56s 20 Td-short shuttle 4.01s 3-cone 6.8s Vert 37.5in Broad 9ft 6in Bench Press 22 reps

When some say Nicky Can't, I say Nicky Can. When others say Nicky Won't, I say Nicky Will-!!!!!!!

I wouldn't bet against him playing on Sundays in the NFL. Would you?

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-pro-day-0328-20130327,0,716059.story

Reaction Score
More reps than i expected...but slightly slower in the 40.

Nice showing overall though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whats your definition of playing on Sundays?

Reaction Score
Wes Welker was flat out a better football player in college than Nick Williams was.

I'm rooting for him. I hope I'm wrong. But my opinion has not changed.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams impressive at UConn's Pro Day
Chris Elsberry
Updated 9:29 pm, Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...-at-UConn-s-Pro-Day-4390035.php#ixzz2OnKhj3w7

"What Nick brings is, he's got a way on punt returns and kick returns, he's got a way of really making plays," Pasqualoni said. "But I really think that he can play that inside slot receiver spot, he just hasn't had enough experience there yet. We just put him in there last year, but you can't do it all in a year. I think he's going to open some eyes and surprise people with his ability to return punts and kickoffs, and he will develop into being a good inside slot receiver."

Reaction Score
Larry Taylor was in training camp with the Jets 3 years ago as a returner, Nick deserves a chance, if not the CFL could be an option. I will always wonder what Nick might have done if he got a shot at RB. He's bigger, stronger, and faster than McCombs but he never was given an opportunity at RB.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nick Williams could barely get on the field for a dreadful college offense all while being by far the best player on the team when he had the ball in hands.

I mean, I hope he can latch on somewhere as kick returner but to even draw one iota of a parallel between him and welker besides being short white guys is crazy.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams could barely get on the field for a dreadful college offense all while being by far the best player on the team when he had the ball in hands.... to even draw one iota of a parallel between him and welker....is crazy.

I think that says more about the coaches than Nick. Comparisons to Welker are not crazy. They need to be proven on the field of course, but they are not crazy.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think he has a chance especially because of his special teams abilities.
undrafted free agent who gets a chance in someone's camp come late July

Reaction Score
I think that says more about the coaches than Nick. Comparisons to Welker are not crazy. They need to be proven on the field of course, but they are not crazy.

No, I think comparisons to Welker are crazy.

I am hoping Nick can stick somewhere as a returner.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's more on Nick and his inability to catch a football. If Nick Williams was black, you wouldn't be comparing him to wes welker.

I love Nick, he's a fellow Jersey guy and was an absolute stud kick returner, but he has 43 catches in career at UConn. come on now.

Reaction Score
You lost me when you referred to him as Nicky - comparing him to numbers is ridiculous. Numbers don't make a football player. Football skills make a football player, it's why the combine is a joke.

Reaction Score
It won't be easy for Nick. He is a late round draft choice or more likely or undrafted free agent.
Those odds are a bit long.

I do believe he will make it to an NFL camp. His best chance to stick will be on special teams.
So his college stats as a receiver won't play into his chance to make a roster. In college, he only played in
the slot for one year and has never played with an accurate passer. He needs to make a roster on STs
than learn the position in the league.

It's possible. Stranger things have happen. It will be tough but I'll be pulling for this kid all the way.

Reaction Score
7129533.jpg
HULK SMASH!!!!!

Reaction Score
It's more on Nick and his inability to catch a football. If Nick Williams was black, you wouldn't be comparing him to wes welker.

I love Nick, he's a fellow Jersey guy and was an absolute stud kick returner, but he has 43 catches in career at UConn. come on now.

I agree with this. I think it's somewhat offensive that every white guy is compared to another white guy. As far as the comparison to Welker in football terms.....it's like comparing Mike Smith to Jerry Rice. Ridiculous.

pj

Reaction Score
Just remember that Wes Welker wasn't always Wes Welker. The Patriots picked him up as a restricted free agent for a song becausethe Dolphins wouldn't match. Williams is about at the level of Welker as a college soph but he has similar talent - just watch his quick moves and quick decision-making. He's pretty sure-handed. I agree with Pasqualoni, all he needs is experience. It's a shame he doesn't have one more year of college,that would help him tremendously.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just remember that Wes Welker wasn't always Wes Welker. The Patriots picked him up as a restricted free agent for a song becausethe Dolphins wouldn't match. Williams is about at the level of Welker as a college soph but he has similar talent - just watch his quick moves and quick decision-making. He's pretty sure-handed. I agree with Pasqualoni, all he needs is experience. It's a shame he doesn't have one more year of college,that would help him tremendously.

There is nothing physical that makes Welker good, it is all mental. Finding seems in the defense, reading the safeties and linebackers, and most importantly, reading the D the same way Brady does. As a phsyical talent he doesn't register really. Hundreds of bigger, faster, stronger guys don't make it. He does have good hands.

This doesn't mean NW can't make it, but rather that his pro-day stats won't be a real factor either way. He'll get an invite from some team, and maybe he can stick as a returner. He should spend hours every day watching film if he wants to be a WR.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know, Lyle McCombs does remind me of Ahmad Bradshaw.

They're both short, black and play running back.

Case closed.

Reaction Score
Tom Brady throws a pretty accurate ball and gets it out fast. Schemes are designed to get Welker open. Williams had a drop back passer who had issues with accuracy, play calling that did not give receivers advantages and OL that struggled to pass block. Hard to come to conclusion as to how good Williams is as receiver.
He makes people miss tackles, that is dangerous in a WR. Even more dangerous in NFL 4 receiver sets. I'd like his chances to make plays with the 2 Pats tight ends and a wide receiver for deep and Williams in slot with Brady.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think he will get a look and maybe a longer look than WW, because teams want him to be the second coming of Wes Welker (square peg, round hole disease). However, just because his physical peripherals are similar, does not make him comparible as a player. The difference, as always, is intagibles.

Remember Welker was cut from the Chargers, before being picked up by Miami and becoming a star in Foxborough. How will Nick Williams react to being cut? Will the same opportunities present themselves for Nick as they did Wes? For every Wes Welker there is a Jeremy Bloom. For every Calvin Johnson, there is a Charles Rogers.

Personally, I see him getting good use out of his passport and I don't mean the annual NFL game in London.

Reaction Score
What was Williams besides a KR/PR before being a slot receiver? Was he ever tried at RB?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tom Brady throws a pretty accurate ball and gets it out fast. Schemes are designed to get Welker open. Williams had a drop back passer who had issues with accuracy, play calling that did not give receivers advantages and OL that struggled to pass block. Hard to come to conclusion as to how good Williams is as receiver.
He makes people miss tackles, that is dangerous in a WR. Even more dangerous in NFL 4 receiver sets. I'd like his chances to make plays with the 2 Pats tight ends and a wide receiver for deep and Williams in slot with Brady.

There are more QBs in the NFL like Chandler Whitmer, than there are Tom Brady (i.e. accuracy issues).

Reaction Score
NW seems like a great kid and certainly very tough. But, the hands...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom