What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is nothing physical that makes Welker good, it is all mental. Finding seems in the defense, reading the safeties and linebackers, and most importantly, reading the D the same way Brady does. As a phsyical talent he doesn't register really. Hundreds of bigger, faster, stronger guys don't make it. He does have good hands.

This doesn't mean NW can't make it, but rather that his pro-day stats won't be a real factor either way. He'll get an invite from some team, and maybe he can stick as a returner. He should spend hours every day watching film if he wants to be a WR.

That isn't completely accurate. Welker has what Victor Cruz has (and to some degree what Nick has) the ability to change direction without slowing down. This quickness is why they get separation. It is why they get open very quickly. It is a very rare ability. It is invaluable on third down. It is a quality that makes Nick a good kick and punt returner. It gives Nick a chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tom Brady throws a pretty accurate ball and gets it out fast. Schemes are designed to get Welker open. Williams had a drop back passer who had issues with accuracy, play calling that did not give receivers advantages and OL that struggled to pass block. Hard to come to conclusion as to how good Williams is as receiver.
He makes people miss tackles, that is dangerous in a WR. Even more dangerous in NFL 4 receiver sets. I'd like his chances to make plays with the 2 Pats tight ends and a wide receiver for deep and Williams in slot with Brady.

Maybe they will sign him. They took a shot with Edelman, who was a QB. They signed the RB from Navy. They used Woodhead (similar physical stats/abilities) who was a DII player/star. Not singling those guys out as white guys by the way, just as guys who were not seen as NFL prospects out of college and who have some similar physical gifts.

Reaction Score
The return game should get him the shot and the receiving part will develop in time.

Reaction Score
he'll make a team only on special teams, he can't catch a ball, too inexperienced at wr.

Reaction Score
You lost me when you referred to him as Nicky

Really? That's his name.
IMG_0493.JPG

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Always remember were ever NW ends up he will always be apart of the Uconn family,I believe he will end up somewhere and be another Anthony Sherman a team leader.

Reaction Score
Larry Taylor was in training camp with the Jets 3 years ago as a returner, Nick deserves a chance, if not the CFL could be an option. I will always wonder what Nick might have done if he got a shot at RB. He's bigger, stronger, and faster than McCombs but he never was given an opportunity at RB.
Obviously, you could certainly be correct about Williams perhaps having been a missed weapon at RB since ultimately we'll never know. Having said that, I think WR's with quicks and running QB's look like they could be promising RB's, but it is just too tough to compare how a QB runs with wide-open lanes and WR's with the wide-open spaces downfield to what a RB does. I'm not saying there is NO correlation, but I think it's tempting to think there is MORE of a correlation between QB/WR running skills and ability as a RB than there really is.

Reaction Score
Seeing all this talent that we had and all these seniors doing well just pisses me off even more that we were 5-7 and didn't go bowling...who ever gives me that lack of talent excuse can stick it up their ace...the coaching sucked, what a waste of great defensive and decent offensive talent...good luck to the seniors.

Reaction Score
Seeing all this talent that we had and all these seniors doing well just pisses me off even more that we were 5-7 and didn't go bowling...who ever gives me that lack of talent excuse can stick it up their ace...the coaching sucked, what a waste of great defensive and decent offensive talent...good luck to the seniors.

The talent on offense last year was not decent. It was a step above abysmal. Hopefully with a year experience, the offense plays better.

Reaction Score
The talent on offense last year was not decent. It was a step above abysmal. Hopefully with a year experience, the offense plays better.
Whitmer, Griffin, Delahunt, Williams, McCombs...a decent head coach would have adjusted and simplified one thing (the O-line) and would have had been bowling easily.

Reaction Score
I mean, if we're talking strictly as a WR, doesn't Michael Smith have a better chance than Nick Williams?

Are Williams KR skills really NFL KR skills? I think he could man the position no doubt, but he's not Trinidon Holliday or Devin Hester that will make a team solely off that. He needs to make a team as a WR, and then they'll let the special teams skills break a tie or close deficit.

Also - if we're going to compare Nick's combine # to Welker and call them even, what do we make of Marquise Goodwin? Sure fire hall of famer?

Reaction Score
Whitmer, Griffin, Delahunt, Williams, McCombs...a decent head coach would have adjusted and simplified one thing (the O-line) and would have had been bowling easily.

Whitmer was not good last year (I am hopeful it is just because he was adjusting to D 1 football), his decision making was poor, his accuracy was inconsistent on any pass over 8 yards, and the amount of turnovers were unacceptable. McCombs was anything but good last year (and I was a huge supporter going into the year). Nick Williams is a fantastic kick returner, I love his vision and decisiveness in the open field, but he was not a good receiver last year. He had trouble locating the ball in the air, and dropped many catchable balls.

We should have been bowling, no question, and I primarily blame the coaching staff for that (and a crazy off kicking day from our PK). But none of UCONN's draft eligible offensive players will be drafted, and only one, Griffin, played well enough to get a shot on offense Sundays. (This is not to say that the young talent currently on the team will not develop into fine prospects.)

Reaction Score
I mean, if we're talking strictly as a WR, doesn't Michael Smith have a better chance than Nick Williams?

Are Williams KR skills really NFL KR skills? I think he could man the position no doubt, but he's not Trinidon Holliday or Devin Hester that will make a team solely off that. He needs to make a team as a WR, and then they'll let the special teams skills break a tie or close deficit.

Also - if we're going to compare Nick's combine # to Welker and call them even, what do we make of Marquise Goodwin? Sure fire hall of famer?

I think Williams returner skills are nfl quality. However, like you said, it is a true luxury for an nfl team to carry a returner who just can return kicks (like the aforementioned Holliday). Kick returners often have to be gunners on special teams, and have to at least show a little promise at WR. That is going to hurt Nick's chances to stick on an NFL roster.

Reaction Score
The talent on offense was decent. Look it up, our QB was middle of the pack in the BE. We had many good players as the post-season proves.

The problem was on the sideline.

Reaction Score
The talent on offense was decent. Look it up, our QB was middle of the pack in the BE. We had many good players as the post-season proves.

The problem was on the sideline.

The talent was not decent. The post season? Are you talking about workouts?

The defense was lights out, and there still is an abundance of talent. The offensive talent last year was poor (and I am being generous). Again, the young talent on the O can certainly improve (as often happens in a college program) as they gain experience.

Reaction Score
The talent was not decent. The post season? Are you talking about workouts?

The defense was lights out, and there still is an abundance of talent. The offensive talent last year was poor (and I am being generous). Again, the young talent on the O can certainly improve (as often happens in a college program) as they gain experience.

You're right, the "talent" was better than decent.

The post season was All BE recognition, pro day. and let see who gets invited to NFL camps.

Reaction Score
The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

We didn't have elite offensive talent last year. But we also didn't have talent ranked in the 100's either.

An adequate offense wins us 9 games last year.

Reaction Score
You're right, the "talent" was better than decent.

The post season was All BE recognition, pro day. and let see who gets invited to NFL camps.

The offensive talent was not better than decent. You disagree regarding offensive personnel?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

What does a Kelly from ND do with this talent. He seemed to get Cin. going each year by evaluating who could do what best and have them do it. Just throw some 1st down slants and can the wildcat and get some beef on some running plays - Uconn averaged less than 18 points per game and was 118th out of 120 schools in scoring.
So Uconn had less talent than Tulane on offense as they scored 4 times as many points against Rutgers, USF gave up 6 to Uconn and the rest of the conference gave up 23,37,27,37,27,27 - and that was all talent difference?
If the PP was coach of the ol' UCLA boys basketball team he would have played Goodrich and Hazzard in the post and played a slow down game and later when he got Lew Alcindor he'd have played him at point guard and pressed the whole game.

Reaction Score
What does a Kelly from ND do with this talent. He seemed to get Cin. going each year by evaluating who could do what best and have them do it. Just throw some 1st down slants and can the wildcat and get some beef on some running plays - Uconn averaged less than 18 points per game and was 118th out of 120 schools in scoring.
So Uconn had less talent than Tulane on offense as they scored 4 times as many points against Rutgers, USF gave up 6 to Uconn and the rest of the conference gave up 23,37,27,37,27,27 - and that was all talent difference?
If the PP was coach of the ol' UCLA boys basketball team he would have played Goodrich and Hazzard in the post and played a slow down game and later when he got Lew Alcindor he'd have played him at point guard and pressed the whole game.

Who is arguing that coaching wasn't a very big problem? Bad coaching + poor talent = disaster. And that is exactly what happened on O.

Love the Tulane "scored 4 times as many points" point. Um, they scored 12, which is 4 times more than the 3 we scored, but is that really your best argument? And Tulane's QB was better than our QB no question.

Here was the issue with Offense, and it is so simple:

1. There was not much talent. If you ask me what the strength of our team was, I would stare blankly into space. If you asked me if we were a better run blocking or pass blocking team, I would let out a big sigh, and then continue to look blankly into space.
2. The offensive play calling lacked any type of rhythm. If there was a strength it was our 6'6 tight end, who was an excellent receiver. I would focus on play action and making him the focal point of the offense.

Again, I fully expect the talent that is currently on the roster to improve. It is only natural after another year of experience, weight lifting, and watching film. Specifically, I have heard some great things about some of the young offensive linemen, and I really believe Geremy Davis is going to be an excellent receiver (and Shakim Phillips showed flashes to make me think the same of him).

Reaction Score

Honestly, what do you think Kelly does with this offensive talent? (I am a huge Kelly fan, by the way). Are you saying this offensive talent is anywhere near the talent he had at Cincy?

Reaction Score
Absolutely we had sufficient talent to go Bowling. Schemes and play calling were sub-par. We misused our talent.

Reaction Score
Absolutely we had sufficient talent to go Bowling. Schemes and play calling were sub-par. We misused our talent.

I think this is a good topic of discussion, and would love to hear other's views on this.

What talent was misused? Aside from Griffin, I just didn't see the talent. Alot of people have been saying that Joe Williams should have been utilized more, but I think the fact he saw zero playing time despite the struggles of the running game was pretty telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom