What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Do You Think About Nicky-Will's NFL Chances Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is a good topic of discussion, and would love to hear other's views on this.

What talent was misused? Aside from Griffin, I just didn't see the talent. Alot of people have been saying that Joe Williams should have been utilized more, but I think the fact he saw zero playing time despite the struggles of the running game was pretty telling.

You are giving the benefit of the doubt to the same cast that couldn't figure out when to call a TO at the end of the first half against Rutgers. Coaches miss on evaluations all the time. Easley comes to mind.

Reaction Score
You are giving the benefit of the doubt to the same cast that couldn't figure out when to call a TO at the end of the first half against Rutgers. Coaches miss on evaluations all the time. Easley comes to mind.

Absolutely. Willie Parker at UNC comes to mind as well. I just want to hear from other yarders regarding the misused talent. Who? Who was underutilized?

Reaction Score
We had no QB for 2 years. We have something that resembles a D1 QB, especially the last 4 games IMHO. Overall the talent level was probably normal. Edsall left us with almost nothing at QB. Any team could plan a defense around that. It's like having no pitching and a decent batting order.

So could we have won 3 or 4 more games sure, but this is the year PP has to show us something.

Reaction Score
Honestly, what do you think Kelly does with this offensive talent? (I am a huge Kelly fan, by the way). Are you saying this offensive talent is anywhere near the talent he had at Cincy?
I'm saying coaching matters. How would fhcRE's team done if he hadn't "discovered" a red shirt 5th year player in his 5th game of his senior year named Easley. One player. Anyone that doesn't think coaching really, really matters in college football are just plain wrong.

Answwer me this, rate GDL as offensive coach. Was performance of team 118th in scoring but he is really a top 10 offensive coach? Same question, does Kelly as head coach allow this type of offensive performance with a returning freshman all american RB, very good tight ends, slot receiver who will get NFL looks. Does he have team run 160 lb inside RB on 1st & 2nd downs against 8 in the box, throw 3rd and 7 passes 3 yards or 30, run the wildcat with a backup QB as often as GDL.

Against Div 1 teams Uconn averaged 17 pts per game (and if take out special teams less than 16 per game). This was coaching. The opposing defense knew Uconn's plays ahead of time based on personnel, formations and down/distance.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Punt return is not about speed as much as it is about quickness.

He has a chance but I think he ends up at best in Canadian football league or indoor league

Reaction Score
I'm saying coaching matters. How would fhcRE's team done if he hadn't "discovered" a red shirt 5th year player in his 5th game of his senior year named Easley. One player. Anyone that doesn't think coaching really, really matters in college football are just plain wrong.

Answwer me this, rate GDL as offensive coach. Was performance of team 118th in scoring but he is really a top 10 offensive coach? Same question, does Kelly as head coach allow this type of offensive performance with a returning freshman all american RB, very good tight ends, slot receiver who will get NFL looks. Does he have team run 160 lb inside RB on 1st & 2nd downs against 8 in the box, throw 3rd and 7 passes 3 yards or 30, run the wildcat with a backup QB as often as GDL.

Against Div 1 teams Uconn averaged 17 pts per game (and if take out special teams less than 16 per game). This was coaching. The opposing defense knew Uconn's plays ahead of time based on personnel, formations and down/distance.

I will respond more fully when I get back from work. But I don't think you answered a question. Do you think last years offensive talent was close to anything Cincy had?

And we are in complete agreement that coaching is a huge aspect of any sport. Not just during the games either. And we are in agreement that coaching at UCONN was an issue last season.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think this is a good topic of discussion, and would love to hear other's views on this.

What talent was misused? Aside from Griffin, I just didn't see the talent. Alot of people have been saying that Joe Williams should have been utilized more, but I think the fact he saw zero playing time despite the struggles of the running game was pretty telling.

The only telling thing about Joe Williams is the coaches didn't give him a chance. Ever hear of Marcus Easily?

Virtually the first time that Hyppolite touched the ball he went 50 yards for a TD. Why did it take four games to get that touch?

Both Davis and Phillips seem to be very good WRs , the best we have had in a while. And WTF didn't we get Nick Williams more touches.

I noticed Cinny had ten players get carries. They had five QBs get snaps. They had fourteen players catch passes. I think that approach is superior to PP's.

Reaction Score
Whomever thinks they see, on game day, what the coaches see every day, is close to clueless. Nicky couldn't run routes so he didn't see the field. If you don't think our coaches have the ability to coach kids up, you're also clueless. Not every kid has the ability we as fans want them to have. Some coaches are better than others but I'll take our coaches' pedigree and live with it until they prove they don't belong. It's so much about having a polished quarterback and recruiting. At least recruiting is improving and the QB future seems shiny (through my blue tinted glasses.)

Reaction Score
Pal, in that sense P is a carbon copy to his predecessor. I've never understood, why college coaches, are sometimes so reluctant to give other players on the roster a shot, when the results haven't been what they need to be. I get that they see them in practice, yada, yada, yada, but just like Easly, players sometimes just need a shot in game time. Easly made a definitive statement with his TD bomb catch and it is unreasonable to expect such a result off the bat. You recruited all of the players, give em a chance to shine unless the player in front of them is a lights out stud like, Brown, Todman, Orlovsky, etc.

Last year I was left wondering why we didn't see Deshon Foxx get a chance with rock in his hands. I thought he showed some shiftiness in limited carries as a true frosh and we know he has outstanding speed. His sophomore year, relegated to gunner on the punt team I believe. I also agree with Dez, Tebucky Jones should have gotten a shot.

Reaction Score
Nicky couldn't run routes so he didn't see the field.

Pleeeze. Nick is a great route runner. The offense didn't entertain the slant routes that would have highlighted his skills. Similar coaching mistakes with Lyle. He's a terrific runner in space. They ran him into an overmatched line. Our offense was more a product of GDL's stubborn hubris. "This play will work. We'll do it over and over till I prove I'm right"

Reaction Score
Whomever thinks they see, on game day, what the coaches see every day, is close to clueless. Nicky couldn't run routes so he didn't see the field. If you don't think our coaches have the ability to coach kids up, you're also clueless. Not every kid has the ability we as fans want them to have. Some coaches are better than others but I'll take our coaches' pedigree and live with it until they prove they don't belong. It's so much about having a polished quarterback and recruiting. At least recruiting is improving and the QB future seems shiny (through my blue tinted glasses.)

The old coach is infallible because he sees them in practice argument. An argument from authority.

Please explain to me how HOF coach Bill Parcells started Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms even though he saw them both in practice every day?

Reaction Score
Pleeeze. Nick is a great route runner. The offense didn't entertain the slant routes that would have highlighted his skills. Similar coaching mistakes with Lyle. He's a terrific runner in space. They ran him into an overmatched line. Our offense was more a product of GDL's stubborn hubris. "This play will work. We'll do it over and over till I prove I'm right"

So true. Slant routes would have been great for us. With Whitmer running for his life and still calling for those seven step drops, we hardly ever had a chance to compete at an elite level because of Dummy DeLeone's awful play calling.

Reaction Score

Please direct me to the game where he showed he was a great route runner. I am being serious. Maybe I missed something?

Reaction Score
The old coach is infallible because he sees them in practice argument. An argument from authority.

Please explain to me how HOF coach Bill Parcells started Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms even though he saw them both in practice every day?

Not infallible. Who is? Parcells is finally a HOFer despite not being perfect. And, Nick is not a great route runner. He is a great runner in space. Routes have to be precise. Very different. To blame GDL for everything, well it's an easy argument but not perfect.

Reaction Score

They proved they don't belong or the Rock Star should be fired as AD. How does the Rock Star have the balls to require a head coach with 40 years of coaching experience to demote his star OC; either the head coach is clueless or the Rock Star over stepped his authority and should be fired immediately; if you see a middle ground let me know.

Reaction Score
I will respond more fully when I get back from work. But I don't think you answered a question. Do you think last years offensive talent was close to anything Cincy had?

And we are in complete agreement that coaching is a huge aspect of any sport. Not just during the games either. And we are in agreement that coaching at UCONN was an issue last season.

No. I didn't expect this years team to go 12-0. Let me ask you this, think Easley might have been ready for prime time before the 5th game of his red shirt senior year? If so, maybe coach who saw him every day missed it, not like Easley was a skinny, slow kid who all of a sudden got glue hands and route running skills - he was the easiest kid to find "a feaky fast athelete with mega size for his position". That's what I mean about talent; you can't convince me that LM was that good in practice and other backs that bad so as to have "no" RB rotation and that the wild cat was that effective in practice that it should be run as often and in strange game situations as it was; and WR had talent but play calling scheme allowed defenses to play tight on short routes and CW had little time to set up for longer throws. There is a reason coaches get fired, think Weiss would have taken ND to 12-0 or PP taken Cin or ND to 12-0 - with GDL as OC?

Reaction Score
Not infallible. Who is? Parcells is finally a HOFer despite not being perfect. And, Nick is not a great route runner. He is a great runner in space. Routes have to be precise. Very different. To blame GDL for everything, well it's an easy argument but not perfect.

My point wasn't about Nick running routes, it was about the other RBs who didn't get a chance. And I'm completely willing to give P another year, he gets one anyway so why try to beat the tide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom