What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content?

What would be a satisfying conclusion for UConn's 2016-17 season?

• It's #5 in a row or bust,baby!

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • A 10th Final Four bid in a row would be just fine by me

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Anywhere in the regional semis or finals is good

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I'm happy as long as Notre Dame doesn't win it all

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Whatever- it's another WCBB season!

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saniya could be the sleeping ace a la Maria Colon in her SR year! If she does we are looking at FF again.

Reaction Score
Maria played well her last 2 years because she had Diana. Dee made all them players better than they were. That is what great players do. IMO Saniya has not shown she could handle Uconns level of BB consistently and Dangerfield is the key to this season.

Reaction Score
I like this team; it's going to be good
But it's not the powerhouse of recent years.
They could easily lose a few games, even not make the final-4
It'll be the staff's biggest challenge since...the last Olympics.

Once Stewie had her breakout NCAA's at the end of her freshman year and that monster game against the Irish.
We could quietly exhale and watch the next three with complete confidence
I must say, I enjoyed that stretch
Especially the South Carolina dismantling when we were #2.

But now its a new season with a group that previously was only called upon to play a supporting role.
That's the crux
They're in the headlights now.

Who will rise to the top? Pheesa for sure...KLS most likely, Kia, certainly, Gabby, without a doubt.
Need one or two more
Who will it be?
Will Saniya overcome her demons to become the star she was in HS?
Will one or more of the frosh step up?
If it's Nat...we're set.
I keep getting this feeling that Molly is going to surprise us all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I keep getting this feeling that Molly is going to surprise us all.

I for one hope that "feeling" you have is intuition, and not just gas. :oops: If Molly can come in and help us right away, that would be a huge boost to the program. It would give Geno more options during the OOC portion of the schedule that is comprised of teams that will present the biggest challenge to UConn during the regular season.

Reaction Score
In case you missed it, the following stats were posted by "DavidinNaples" on August 22, 2016:

1. Which player led UConn in offensive rebounds w/ 83, ahead of Stewie, Tuck, Gabby and KLS? ;)
2. Who was the 2nd leading shot blocker behind Stewie, with more blocks than KLS +Butler + Gabby combined? :cool:
3. What player led UConn in free throw % at 91.7% (44-48)?
4. Who shot 55.9% from inside the 3 point arc on 104 made baskets?
5. While only playing 653 minutes, who scored 258 points, had 197 rebounds, stole 50 balls and blocked 47 shots?
6. Which tough as nails player led the team in personal fouls w/ 63, but never fouled out? :rolleyes:
7. Who is listed at 6'1" and plays under and around the basket w/ all the taller forwards and centers?

Napheesa Collier accomplished all the above as a freshman and apparently with a bum hip. Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby, Natalie and the new freshman deserve all the hype and attention they get this coming season, but Collier is really, really good...and getting better. :)

The above stats is why it's....pheesa for sure. Take a good long look at them, they're impressive. Let's not forget.....she had post season surgery on her hip, which means she played hurt during the season at less than 100%. Collier will continue to put up these types of numbers this coming season because she has already made that high school to college transition, and she has a year of college experience behind her.

She knows what she's doing now. Granted, she needs to cut down on the personal fouls. That's not a stat area you want to lead the team in. We got only glimpses of the tip of the iceberg last season. Collier will impress in 2016-2017. Remember this when the season starts, that we tried to tell you this back in September. :rolleyes:

Napheesa as all Freshmen tried too hard to please coach--and played tough defense--she'll settle down now that she knows the system, how Geno expect someone to back you up on defense. Geno plays a levels of defense---skirmish lines, make through one, another awaits, and Napheesa had to learn that too. Just like Crystal Dangerfield, Napheesa Collier has been a favorite of mine since I saw her play in USA games--I was hooked on both.

Thanks Carnac---laid out her stats and her hip injury properly--the kid has endurance and guts..

Reaction Score
I for one hope that "feeling" you have is intuition, and not just gas. :oops: If Molly can come in and help us right away, that would be a huge boost to the program. It would give Geno more options during the OOC portion of the schedule that is comprised of teams that will present the biggest challenge to UConn during the regular season.

Excuse my negativism--Molly will be a Fan Fav--but looking at where she is coming from and the level played--do not expect Molly to play soon, except at games end for a while. Great Basketball I Q will only get you so far, as will being a Hard nosed player True high level talent and confidence is the key to success at Uconn and the key to playing early in your career. Crystal and I think Kayla bring that with them. If she can, as you say--come in an help (Uconn) right away--that will be a huge boost. If she measure up in clean up time she'll see more good time play.

I don't say US when referring to the UConn WBB team (at least not often) since I don't play for the team--I'm just a lowly/poorly advised fan.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I try not to use "us" either, for the same reason. But sometimes I get carried away, and it slips in. I notice that other posters use the "U" word liberally, with no fear. Especially those from other teams. We'll see see how Molly does between the first game, and the Christmas break.

Reaction Score
The early season will have some losses. The tournament is kind of stacked in UConn's favor. They can play "home" games until they get to the FF. Then, anything is possible. I would be content with another FF. But something tells me that there may be more than that waiting for them at the end of a season that may be rougher at the start then most are predicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom