What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content?

What would be a satisfying conclusion for UConn's 2016-17 season?

• It's #5 in a row or bust,baby!

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • A 10th Final Four bid in a row would be just fine by me

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Anywhere in the regional semis or finals is good

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I'm happy as long as Notre Dame doesn't win it all

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Whatever- it's another WCBB season!

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All the top teams have question marks. Last season Baylor and ND did not make the FF as good as they were on paper. Teams not expected to make the FF barring UConn did. Parity yeah. So dont be surprised this season if teams not expected to make the FF do. Teams with a big, good defense and a good point guard.

As for UConn this season they have question marks because they are so young. They lack the nucleus theyve had for the past few years. Uconn will be dependent on underclassman and some very good underclassman. I expect scores to be much lower then last season. UConn does have height. Butler can score and rebound from 15 ft in. That will help opening up the middle. We have some great rebounders and we are quick. We must be very careful not to compare this team with last years team. The past couple of years we had a special team that only comes around once in a while. We are very good this season as good as anybody. We have alot of rebounders and we have good height and we are quick. This is going to be a very interesting season as we watch this team develop and grow. Its gonna be alot of fun. This is a FF team and much like Cuse Oregon last season expect some surprises in the FF.

Tony, I feel a lot better after reading this comment, thank you. I believe there is a lot of truth in your observations. Humans fear the unknown.

That's why people don't like, or are uncomfortable entering a dark room. Or fear the worse when a family member is unusually late coming home, and has not been heard from. There are a Lot of ifs and unknowns at this time about UCoon.

Geno and staff are fully aware of the questions and concerns being outlined here in the yard. In Geno we trust. He will come up with something by November that we can't see in here September.

When we find out how much last year's freshmen have progressed, and how (if) quickly the incoming freshmen are ready to make significant controbutions before the game has been decided.

Unfortunately, because of the level of competition, play in the exhibition games won't reveal much other than do they know the plays. Florida State will bring out the strengths and weaknesses of this team.

The Florida State game will be the reveal game we've all been waiting for. The game can only end four ways. We win by a lot or by a little. Lose by a lot or by a little.

Nothing is guaranteed. This concept was proven last year (ask Baylor, Notre Dame or South Carolina).
If Syracuse made it to the championship game with the team they had last year, why can't UConn do it this year?

Would you agree that this year's UConn team is as talented as last year's Syracuses' team? I think they are. In addition, we've got a master puppeteer, who knows what strings to pull and when. We've got Geno.

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Not possible ...JMHO

Pat won 1,098 games. Tara is currently at 985 wins. Geno is at 955.

It's reasonable to say that Tara will catch Pat in just over four seasons. Averaging a pretty reasonable 27 wins per season, it would happen in 4.18 seasons.

For Geno to catch Pat first, UConn would to average 35.75 wins per season over the next four seasons.

Reaction Score
I see Dangerfield starting right away just like Bird, Hartley and Montegomery. Uconn does not have the luxury of not throwing her right into the fire with the schedule they have in Nov and Dec. She has played up in age for a while now and wont be intimitated by who she is playing against. I think with the core 4 ( Lou, Gabby, Kia and Pheese ) Crystal will be incredible. Freshmen mistakes absolutely but by January she wont be considered a frosh anymore. I know there is no height but between 02-04 the tallest player was Jessica Moore at 6ft 3in with any meaningful minutes and the last 2 yrs the starters and bench are just like this yrs team as far as height. Battle came off the bench for defense. I like Saniya off the bench for instant offense. I think the player who will have the greatest improvement is Collier. I Love watching her play and a year in the weight room look out.

I love our Crystal--I have written often about how great I think she is. You are correct she has played beyond her years. She is a very talented pg. Absolutely she'll make mistakes! She is the missing part of this years puzzle. If Chong is close to 100 percent, I would expect Geno to start Chong and bring Crystal from the bench. .Collier will surprise some this year.

Reaction Score
Pat won 1,098 games. Tara is currently at 985 wins. Geno is at 955.

It's reasonable to say that Tara will catch Pat in just over four seasons. Averaging a pretty reasonable 27 wins per season, it would happen in 4.18 seasons.

For Geno to catch Pat first, UConn would to average 35.75 wins per season over the next four seasons.

Obviously Geno can't never pass Pat---how can he win .75 of a game every year for 4 years????!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I like this team; it's going to be good
But it's not the powerhouse of recent years.
They could easily lose a few games, even not make the final-4
It'll be the staff's biggest challenge since...the last Olympics.

Once Stewie had her breakout NCAA's at the end of her freshman year and that monster game against the Irish.
We could quietly exhale and watch the next three with complete confidence
I must say, I enjoyed that stretch
Especially the South Carolina dismantling when we were #2.

But now its a new season with a group that previously was only called upon to play a supporting role.
That's the crux
They're in the headlights now.

Who will rise to the top? Pheesa for sure...KLS most likely, Kia, certainly, Gabby, without a doubt.
Need one or two more
Who will it be?
Will Saniya overcome her demons to become the star she was in HS?
Will one or more of the frosh step up?
If it's Nat...we're set.

Reaction Score
Tony, I feel a lot better after reading this comment, thank you. I believe there is a lot of truth in your observations. Humans fear the unknown.

That's why people don't like, or are uncomfortable entering a dark room. Or fear the worse when a family member is unusually late coming home, and has not been heard from. There are a Lot of ifs and unknowns at this time about UCoon.

Geno and staff are fully aware of the questions and concerns being outlined here in the yard. In Geno we trust. He will come up with something by November that we can't see in here September.

When we find out how much last year's freshmen have progressed, and how (if) quickly the incoming freshmen are ready to make significant controbutions before the game has been decided.

Unfortunately, because of the level of competition, play in the exhibition games won't reveal much other than do they know the plays. Florida State will bring out the strengths and weaknesses of this team.

The Florida State game will be the reveal game we've all been waiting for. The game can only end four ways. We win by a lot or by a little. Lose by a lot or by a little.

Nothing is guaranteed. This concept was proven last year (ask Baylor, Notre Dame or South Carolina).
If Syracuse made it to the championship game with the team they had last year, why can't UConn do it this year?

Would you agree that this year's UConn team is as talented as last year's Syracuses' team? I think they are. In addition, we've got a master puppeteer, who knows what strings to pull and when. We've got Geno.

You have to agree last year was a fluke!! The wonderful thing about humans is we all make mistakes---to many in todays society that is unforgivable for you, not them!. In College sports the combination of abilities , personalities, and desires of 10 players and 3 coaching staff can give you anything on any given day or night.
FSU will be a test--and corrections will be made--Baylor will be Uconn's first SAT. ND and USC will be the Final exams before the Final 4.
I truly believe Uconn's Katie Lou, Collier, Butler, Gabby, Chong, Crystal, Kayla and Bent would beat the heck out of last years Cuse.
Bent comes to us without much hype only that she is a hard playing, fundamental BB IQ kid--I wonder how many of those kind of
kids are on the Cuse??

Reaction Score
I love our Crystal--I have written often about how great I think she is. You are correct she has played beyond her years. She is a very talented pg. Absolutely she'll make mistakes! She is the missing part of this years puzzle. If Chong is close to 100 percent, I would expect Geno to start Chong and bring Crystal from the bench. .Collier will surprise some this year.
Saniya was healthy at the end of last year and her confidence from the coaches didnt seem like it was there. That is why we saw her mainly in blowouts. I think Butler would start with Nurse at point and Samuelson at sg with Williams and Collier if Dangerfield doesnt start right away. Saniya is a Sr. but I dont think Geno starts her because of that. He stopped starting Sauer and Hansmeyer there Sr. year and played them less minutes for Jones, Williams and Shuey.

Reaction Score

Once Stewie had her breakout NCAA's at the end of her freshman year and that monster game against the Irish.

But now its a new season with a group that previously was only called upon to play a supporting role.
That's the crux

Who will rise to the top? Pheesa for sure...KLS most likely, Kia, certainly, Gabby, without a doubt.
Need one or two more
Who will it be?
If it's Nat...we're set.

Who shall rise to the top for UConn? Butler, Crystal, Chong, Kayla, Bent---Katie Lou , Collier, Gabby are already the TOP.
The game of Div One WBB is worlds away from Ossing HS basketball--that does not always translate.

No matter how the world turns or the Basket ball Gods open the dark caverns --watching this group of UConn players will be FUN..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
KLS seems poised to have a soph. breakout year based upon her play at the end of the last season. I expect Collier and Gabby to improve as well, just less dramatically. I think Kia can play far better than she has (and she'd been fine) but I'm not sure if she will. I think she needs to stop second guessing herself and just play, but we don't need her improve for us to succeed. Butler, then, is the key. If she has been working on conditioning, strenth and footwork, we'll be in good shape.

I'm rooting for Chong, but I'm not sure why she hasn't produced more already. I believe she is capable. We'll see. Hopefully she's been working to groove her 3 point shot.

The frosh? I'm not counting on a thing from them. I do think Crystal, especially is the real deal and her athleticism and speed will earn her decent minutes. Think Moriah's freshman year.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Great insights from everybody. I will consider the season a success if this team stays relatively healthy and plays to its potential (but yes please, no loss in the title game!). I don't have a feel yet for what that ceiling is, and I don't expect to until sometime late in the season. I think we're better now than 75% of this year's Final Four was when last season began, so if they all got that far, anything is possible. I also don't see a dominant team out there this season the likes of a '12 Baylor or a '14-'16 UConn, and most of our top competitors have questions of their own after earlyish tournament exits this March. This could be the most wide-open WBB season we've seen in a while.

Reaction Score
Saniya was healthy at the end of last year and her confidence from the coaches didnt seem like it was there. That is why we saw her mainly in blowouts. I think Butler would start with Nurse at point and Samuelson at sg with Williams and Collier if Dangerfield doesnt start right away. Saniya is a Sr. but I dont think Geno starts her because of that. He stopped starting Sauer and Hansmeyer there Sr. year and played them less minutes for Jones, Williams and Shuey.

For some stupid reason I keep forgetting Kia in all my posts listing my starting 5--she must start!

Geno had a hurting, walking wounded Chong for most of last year--when he gets to the NCAA no matter how recovered or how good a player they are--they will sit because he has a WORKING rotation and does not want to effect the chemistry.
As with Sauer and Bam Bam--in the past he told all with in listening distance--Freshman get most of his attention, then Sophs, Juniors either know the system or sit, Senior that don't play at a high level and don't know the system get nada and sit. Chong will be healthy and know the system and play top defense OR SIT. If she does all that is expected --she will PLAY

Carnac

Reaction Score
Need one or two more. Who will it be? Will Saniya overcome her demons to become the star she was in HS?

msf22b, Those are the $64,000 questions. Those are the questions we've been waiting all summer for the answers to. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

For Geno to catch Pat first, UConn would to average 35.75 wins per season over the next four seasons.[/QUOTE]

I think those are numbers both coaches can reach. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I think those are numbers both coaches can reach. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's entirely possible that, given Auriemma's torrid 34+ wins per season pace he has set over the last 20 years, both he and Vanderveer will converge on Summitt's number in the same season (2020-21). Whether or not Auriemma catches Vanderveer first, it will make for a momentous year for both.

Reaction Score

That's the crux

Need one or two more
Who will it be?
If it's Nat...we're set.
I'm really shocked at your remark "Pheesa for sure....KLS most likely" because I thought Pheesa fell short of expectations last year for a lot of people while KLS overcame shooting issues early and played exceptionally in the latter part of the year. That you would take for granted Pheesa will be playing top level basketball and be less sure of KLS is hard for me to understand. KLS has already shown herself and why would you expect her to not continue to do so. It's Pheesa who needs to really assert herself though she has shown SOME glimpses. Prior to last year there were many who thought Pheesa might be the surprise and rise over KLS but that didn't happen so maybe you're still living in that reality. Don't get me wrong, I hope she plays brilliantly but as of now, she hasn't done so with any consistency.

Reaction Score

It's entirely possible that, given Auriemma's torrid 34+ wins per season pace he has set over the last 20 years, both he and Vanderveer will converge on Summitt's number in the same season (2020-21). Whether or not Auriemma catches Vanderveer first, it will make for a momentous year for both.[/QUOTE]
I think Vanderveer will not be winning at QUITE the pace she has in the past because the PAC 10 (12) is finally getting some more talented and competitive teams so it'll be more difficult for the Stanford Cardinals. That may give Geno the opportunity to pass her before either reaches Pat Summit's record.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm really shocked at your remark "Pheesa for sure....KLS most likely" because I thought Pheesa fell short of expectations last year for a lot of people while KLS overcame shooting issues early and played exceptionally in the latter part of the year. That you would take for granted Pheesa will be playing top level basketball and be less sure of KLS is hard for me to understand. KLS has already shown herself and why would you expect her to not continue to do so. It's Pheesa who needs to really assert herself though she has shown SOME glimpses. Prior to last year there were many who thought Pheesa might be the surprise and rise over KLS but that didn't happen so maybe you're still living in that reality. Don't get me wrong, I hope she plays brilliantly but as of now, she hasn't done so with any consistency.

I'm trying to think of the game...yeah, it was the Texas game in the regionals
The starters were having problems putting Texas away
Pheesa came and smiling/sweet faced assassin that she is scored a bunch of hoops...maybe 7 points in a coupla minutes
And Texas never looked the same again.
That'll happen a lot this season (I predict)
I remembered thinking (and writing) at the time
She saved the senior's season.
Perhaps, a bit of an exaggeration, but not so far off.

Carnac

Reaction Score

In case you missed it, the following stats were posted by "DavidinNaples" on August 22, 2016:

1. Which player led UConn in offensive rebounds w/ 83, ahead of Stewie, Tuck, Gabby and KLS? ;)
2. Who was the 2nd leading shot blocker behind Stewie, with more blocks than KLS +Butler + Gabby combined? :cool:
3. What player led UConn in free throw % at 91.7% (44-48)?
4. Who shot 55.9% from inside the 3 point arc on 104 made baskets?
5. While only playing 653 minutes, who scored 258 points, had 197 rebounds, stole 50 balls and blocked 47 shots?
6. Which tough as nails player led the team in personal fouls w/ 63, but never fouled out? :rolleyes:
7. Who is listed at 6'1" and plays under and around the basket w/ all the taller forwards and centers?

Napheesa Collier accomplished all the above as a freshman and apparently with a bum hip. Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby, Natalie and the new freshman deserve all the hype and attention they get this coming season, but Collier is really, really good...and getting better. :)

The above stats is why it's.........pheesa for sure. Take a good long look at them, they're impressive. Let's not forget.....she had post season surgery on her hip, which means she played hurt during the season at less than 100%. Collier will continue to put up these types of numbers this coming season because she has already made that high school to college transition, and she has a year of college experience behind her.

She knows what she's doing now. Granted, she needs to cut down on the personal fouls. That's not a stat area you want to lead the team in. We got only glimpses of the tip of the iceberg last season. Collier will impress in 2016-2017. Remember this when the season starts, that we tried to tell you this back in September. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If the core 4 (thats right Im a Yankee Fan) can ave 13 -18 pts each and stay out of foul trouble. They should be okay. Imo Nurse and KLS both can be AAs this year and will shock the rest of WCBB this year. I also think Gabby and Pheese can do the same. These 4 knew how important it was for the Srs. last year and wanted to help them accomplish thier goal. It is tthe Core 4 turn to be the next man up and keep the tradition going!

Reaction Score
Let Tara have more wins. Geno will still have the highest winning % of any coach in history. Also 11-2 in NCs and actually more NCs than all active Div.1 coaches combined!

Reaction Score
[
Which QUOTE="cbraarj, post: 1806806, member: 6182"]Let Tara have more wins. Geno will still have the highest winning % of any coach in history. Also 11-2 in NCs and actually more NCs than all active Div.1 coaches combined![/QUOTE]

Which is most important?? Number of wins , Number of NC's, Percentage of wins???

To me : Percentage of win--The Number of wins only says you have been at it longer and not as successful!!
The Number of NC's , with out ever losing an NC, says you are the KING of the HILL

Reaction Score

I think those are numbers both coaches can reach. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

While it is a NICE number to put in the WCBB books--HOWEVER his 11 National Championship and an outrageous Winning percentage .Speak louder than trying to equal or exceed PAT --OR --TARA--all there larger number of wins--less wins per year--says ---THEY BOTH WERE COACHING WBB LONGER-- IT'S like my sister telling me she was better cuz she was older--that only works at age 10.

Reaction Score

While it is a NICE number to put in the WCBB books--HOWEVER his 11 National Championship and an outrageous Winning percentage .Speak louder than trying to equal or exceed PAT --OR --TARA--all there larger number of wins--less wins per year--says ---THEY BOTH WERE COACHING WBB LONGER-- IT'S like my sister telling me she was better cuz she was older--that only works at age 10.[/QUOTE]
My sister was like that to LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro