What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content? | The Boneyard

What conclusion to the 2016-17 season would leave you content?

What would be a satisfying conclusion for UConn's 2016-17 season?

• It's #5 in a row or bust,baby!

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • A 10th Final Four bid in a row would be just fine by me

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Anywhere in the regional semis or finals is good

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I'm happy as long as Notre Dame doesn't win it all

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Whatever- it's another WCBB season!

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, we got to experience four in a row, which had never happened before. We enjoyed the fifth-longest winning streak in NCAAW historyn(47 games) and currently are at #2 with 75 and counting. Geno is one Final Four appearance shy of the record (held by the late, great Pat Summitt), and is at 955 total wins and counting, or 143 short of Pat's record of 1,098. Finally, the NCAA Tournament winning streak sits at a record 24 games.

On the flip side, there seems to be some fairly significant departures from the 2015-16 incarnation of the UConn Huskies. If you've forgotten their names, I recommend you check out the Huskies of Honor Wall in Gampel Pavilion or the 2016 WNBA draft.

After all that Geno has delivered, then, what would be a satisfying conclusion to this season? We got to see it all for four seasons; what do you hope awaits us now?

Voting and conversation is encouraged as always.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think a Final Four is attainable and a reasonable goal. More than that? If the stars are properly aligned, all the ducks are in a row, and other random objects are also in a line, then, maybe, maaaaaybe, a title is possible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A NC is attainable because we have Geno & staff and some experienced players. The one season outcome I don't want to see is a loss in the NC game because that would spoil Geno's perfect record.

Reaction Score
The definition of content is "in a state of peaceful happiness" and at the moment that Uconn loses, anywhere,anytime,to any opponent,i am more into the despair sphere of feelings.I know,i know,give it 5-10 years and the wretchedness goes away, but still.So,there is only one outcome that can possibly make me content and Uconn has to not only win but win big in the final wcbb game played next April.That damn Stanford game a couple of years ago.mmmmmmm!

Reaction Score
I think a Final Four is attainable and a reasonable goal. More than that? If the stars are properly aligned, all the ducks are in a row, and other random objects are also in a line, then, maybe, maaaaaybe, a title is possible.
My thoughts exactly. Gel at the right time, get to the FF. After that anything is possible.
However, I would prefer to lose in the semis than in the final to keep that unblemished record alive.

Reaction Score
The definition of content is "in a state of peaceful happiness" and at the moment that Uconn loses, anywhere,anytime,to any opponent,i am more into the despair sphere of feelings.I know,i know,give it 5-10 years and the wretchedness goes away, but still.So,there is only one outcome that can possibly make me content and Uconn has to not only win but win big in the final wcbb game played next April.That damn Stanford game a couple of years ago.mmmmmmm!
THE QUESTION ASKED: CONTENTMENT????
I'D be thrilled with a final four----I'd be out of my mind with an NC. Are the attainable--most probably!!

What would I be content with---getting into the NCAA's and up to the Elite 8--
Actually I'd be pleased with a 25 game winning season.---
Frankly all I want for THIS SEASON is to watch them play--then the next 2 or 3 years I expect NC!!!!

Reaction Score
Honestly if they make it through the year healthy and play to their potential it will be a successful season. Where they end up in the NCAA tournament will take care of itself.

Alex makes a good caes for GENO and I'd personally like to see him go beyond Pat.
If they don't make it to the Final 4 or an NC--I'm good with that.
I agree there is nothing I can do to get them to the final 4--so I accept any status they end with--I love these WBB Huskies....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, we got to experience four in a row, which had never happened before. We enjoyed the fifth-longest winning streak in NCAAW historyn(47 games) and currently are at #2 with 75 and counting. Geno is one Final Four appearance shy of the record (held by the late, great Pat Summitt), and is at 955 total wins and counting, or 143 short of Pat's record of 1,098. Finally, the NCAA Tournament winning streak sits at a record 24 games.

On the flip side, there seems to be some fairly significant departures from the 2015-16 incarnation of the UConn Huskies. If you've forgotten their names, I recommend you check out the Huskies of Honor Wall in Gampel Pavilion or the 2016 WNBA draft.

After all that Geno has delivered, then, what would be a satisfying conclusion to this season? We got to see it all for four seasons; what do you hope awaits us now?

Voting and conversation is encouraged as always.

Alex, you write like I do. Like a would be sports columnist.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The huskies will do well this season for several reasons, the least of which is because "defense ALWAYS travels well".

This team will play tight, stingy, in-your-face, turn you over defense. You can bank on that!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alex, you write like I do. Like a would be sports columnist.

Thanks- you've made my day. Maybe I should look into a career change...

On another note, I completely agree with anyone who does not want to see UConn make it to the NC game and lose. For that reason, I left that possibility out of my poll entirely.

Reaction Score
This team should be able to get to the Final Four. Anything beyond is gravy. Anything less will leave significant doubts about the post-Stewie era.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A FF berth would be excellent and if you get to the FF anything can happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this team will be a top-5 team or better. The Regionals are in Bridgeport. I'd be disappointed if we can't win there. Thus, I picked the Final Four.

If some other team looks stronger or we show a vulnerability that looks correctible the following year, I'm ok with losing in the Final Four. If we actually look as good as anyone and get to the Final Four, I'd be disappointed if we don't win.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Early on, in our games against better non-conference foes, I think the Final Four will look like a stretch. Possibly by the time we are closing out our conference schedule, things will have tightened up enough that the FF seems more attainable.

At the margin, I think a fair amount of this will depend on how much Butler develops. Danger is the other wild card.

Reaction Score
The huskies will do well this season for several reasons, the least of which is because "defense ALWAYS travels well".

This team will play tight, stingy, in-your-face, turn you over defense. You can bank on that!!

Stingy defense, is a trademark of Geno--but it works well , good, when they have an active big swatting away the rebounds or layups.
Who will do that this year--next year we know who shall do that. Maybe Katie Lou will have advanced to doing that, maybe Butler is really that good. My problem is there are big MAYBE's. Baylor and ND will dictate if my Maybes are stuffed in a hat or not.
Some will make a case for Collier and Gabby taking over the Tuck role--I can accept that. The point guard is --iffy--until Crystal is up to speed (I think that will be before the end of DEC). Charlie has lamented the short bench--I know Geno has played with 8 most years--but I will never disagree with Charlie OR Carnac!!

Reaction Score
Just asking...Won't Tara V. pass Pat before Geno???

Reaction Score
I see Dangerfield starting right away just like Bird, Hartley and Montegomery. Uconn does not have the luxury of not throwing her right into the fire with the schedule they have in Nov and Dec. She has played up in age for a while now and wont be intimitated by who she is playing against. I think with the core 4 ( Lou, Gabby, Kia and Pheese ) Crystal will be incredible. Freshmen mistakes absolutely but by January she wont be considered a frosh anymore. I know there is no height but between 02-04 the tallest player was Jessica Moore at 6ft 3in with any meaningful minutes and the last 2 yrs the starters and bench are just like this yrs team as far as height. Battle came off the bench for defense. I like Saniya off the bench for instant offense. I think the player who will have the greatest improvement is Collier. I Love watching her play and a year in the weight room look out.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All the top teams have question marks. Last season Baylor and ND did not make the FF as good as they were on paper. Teams not expected to make the FF barring UConn did. Parity yeah. So dont be surprised this season if teams not expected to make the FF do. Teams with a big, good defense and a good point guard.

As for UConn this season they have question marks because they are so young. They lack the nucleus theyve had for the past few years. Uconn will be dependent on underclassman and some very good underclassman. I expect scores to be much lower then last season. UConn does have height. Butler can score and rebound from 15 ft in. That will help opening up the middle. We have some great rebounders and we are quick. We must be very careful not to compare this team with last years team. The past couple of years we had a special team that only comes around once in a while. We are very good this season as good as anybody. We have alot of rebounders and we have good height and we are quick. This is going to be a very interesting season as we watch this team develop and grow. Its gonna be alot of fun. This is a FF team and much like Cuse Oregon last season expect some surprises in the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom