We're good | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We're good

Reaction Score
Yup. And the 3 teams they lost to are a combined 15-1. Quite possible all 3 teams win their respective conferences.
Dante and Ware are legit. They're going to give a lot of teams that can't shoot as well as we do fits by completely turning off the paint. Richardson needs to play better though. Newton ate his lunch.

Reaction Score
The thing that sticks out the most is quality depth. Yea Newton went off but Karaban and Aleyne had underwhelming performances. However, Joey and Clingan played great and made up for that. Jackson is struggling and turns the ball over too much but still had 4 rbs, 5 asts and 2 stls. Sanogo was basically Sanogo but bottled up a little by the size of Oregon. Could have used Johnson's length tonight. The team has the pieces and the depth to weather an off night. We will see tomorrow if what we saw tonight is legit and consistent.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did any coach in the country have a better offseason than Hurley?

This team is loaded with talent, we have a top 5 class coming in next year and our offseason player development is outstanding.
This is why having an all star staff is so important. Kimani, Luke, and Tom all bring something different to the table. Dan did a great job bringing everyone together.

Reaction Score
How is it that Adama developed a solid stroke from 3 over the summer, but Andre did not?This is 2 summers in a row, it’s a real head scratcher. His technique is not good.
1) Sanogo is an absolute freak worker. He's a machine.
2) Sanogo started from nothing and built a shot correctly. Jackson had an established shot, and it's much harder to tweak to make effective. He probably should have built from ground up, but it's really hard to unlearn. Takes more than a summer and we needed him to shoot asap (and he wants to make pros asap).

caw

Reaction Score
Still ended up shootinf 36% from 3. Think of it as shooting 54% from 2. That's damn good on a night he didn't even shoot very well. I'm happy to let him shoot through slumps any game. 10+ attempts per game, minimum.

Not completely directed at you, or at least only you.

I completely agree, that was me picking nits about this game. Those two, or three shots that rimmed out. That is how good UConn played tonight.

Defense was very good, offense was simply fantastic. This team would probably even be able to play for Coach Norman it moves the ball so well.

Reaction Score
1) Sanogo is an absolute freak worker. He's a machine.
2) Sanogo started from nothing and built a shot correctly. Jackson had an established shot, and it's much harder to tweak to make effective. He probably should have built from ground up, but it's really hard to unlearn. Takes more than a summer and we needed him to shoot asap (and he wants to make pros asap).

I'm not sure Andre is even close to going to the league at this point. Hopefully another summer and he can build his shot a bit more.

caw

Reaction Score
Long term I think MSU is the better team but glad Alabama won, MSU doesn't look nearly as good as they were when healthy and if UConn were to beat them, I don't think UConn would get much credit for it. Alabama will be a very good test.

They are a good team.

Reaction Score
Awesome surprise. Maybe I have a bad memory, but I forgot the last time they really creamed an out-of-conference P5 team (Question: When was the last time UConn really creamed a P5 team?). I will temper my expectations for the time being though because Oregon isn't a very good P5 team. It could be the start of an amazing season or one really hot game. I will use this coming game vs Bama as a barometer for where I should place my expectations moving forward. Bama will serve as the first legit challenge of the season. I wanted to say Bama creamed UConn a few years ago under Ollie and it was time for revenge, but upon checking it was Auburn and Arkansas that did the creaming and Uconn got revenge vs Auburn. (115-109 2OT game). One prior game vas Bama which we all know about :).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The defense is so strong and we have so many three pointers, I think we may make Final Four this season!

Reaction Score
This. We took 37 3s tonight and I can’t really remember any head scratchers. They were almost all good looks.
17-37 I will take every single night, or similar types of percentages like 14/33 or 12/28.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
This. We took 37 3s tonight and I can’t really remember any head scratchers. They were almost all good looks.

Wait, I mean it didn’t bother me considering time and score but Clinton’s was a bit of a head scratcher, no?

Reaction Score
Wait, I mean it didn’t bother me considering time and score but Clinton’s was a bit of a head scratcher, no?
Clingan? No it was within the flow of the offense and we've expected he'd have range out to the 3pt line moreso than Sanogo. I think he needs more reps in practice to get the green light to bring that to games.

Reaction Score
Can't overreact. Oregon was missing two starters and down to 7 scholarship players. BUT, this was the best team basketball a UConn team has played in quite some time. We have balance, depth, guys who can shoot on the perimeter, guys who can create their own shot, ball handling, exceptional ball movement, and of course, insane defense intenisty both individually and as a team. The defense has been exceptional and cant be overlooked, but honestly, Hurley led teams always play tough team defense. The difference has been offensively. Obviously, when you drain 3s, compliments come easy. To me, the ball movement has been incredible, the offense seems so much more fluid than in years past, and the boys seem to all have a relatively high basketball iq. Its rare we see a forced shot, the extra pass is almost always made, and more times than not we hit a wide open man with a great look at the hoop. When you play like this, UConn becomes impossilbe to guard. This is such a well- rounded group that no matter who is on the floor, they all seem to compliment each other so well. Its the most fluid and cohesive team we have had since 2014.

Reaction Score
Can't overreact. Oregon was missing two starters and down to 7 scholarship players. BUT, this was the best team basketball a UConn team has played in quite some time. We have balance, depth, guys who can shoot on the perimeter, guys who can create their own shot, ball handling, exceptional ball movement, and of course, insane defense intenisty both individually and as a team. The defense has been exceptional and cant be overlooked, but honestly, Hurley led teams always play tough team defense. The difference has been offensively. Obviously, when you drain 3s, compliments come easy. To me, the ball movement has been incredible, the offense seems so much more fluid than in years past, and the boys seem to all have a relatively high basketball iq. Its rare we see a forced shot, the extra pass is almost always made, and more times than not we hit a wide open man with a great look at the hoop. When you play like this, UConn becomes impossilbe to guard. This is such a well- rounded group that no matter who is on the floor, they all seem to compliment each other so well. Its the most fluid and cohesive team we have had since 2014.
We also have a number of quick release shooters from the outside. The exception is Sanogo but he may be using his three point setup to sucker in his large defender so he can then drive to the hoop. Love the runs that this team can produce!

Reaction Score
Hurley's system was always just 1-2 shooters away from being great. We've got 'em now plus a talent upgrade and a deeper bench.
And we’re getting better at the details. Now FT shooting… that wins or puts close games away games. Hurley knows what he doing. We have good players - this will be fun…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom