We need to be #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need to be #1

Reaction Score
Lol. We beat Alabama by 15. Are you drunk?
I did say "Uconn is the best team in the country right now". And no, I wouldn't be surprised if we are not picked no. 1...though I think we have as good a case to be at the top over Alabama. Just because we want our team to be no. 1 this week...doesn't mean that the pollsters will pick us to be no. 1 this week. However, we WILL be number 1 by the time the season ends and be the favorite to win it all.

If we don't get picked no. 1 this week, who cares? Its just for one week anyway, I expect our team to be no worse than no. 2.

Reaction Score
This team is so good that they essentially make the rankings irrelevant. The majority of the sportswriters in the country- at least those who have a vote in the poll- almost certainly agree that UConn is the best team. They just feel restrained from voting for them because of pre-season rankings, and because the quality of the opponents on their resume thus far is not considered the best among the undefeated teams. So what’s the big deal?

Reaction Score
I did say "Uconn is the best team in the country right now". And no, I wouldn't be surprised if we are not picked no. 1...though I think we have as good a case to be at the top over Alabama. Just because we want our team to be no. 1 this week...doesn't mean that the pollsters will pick us to be no. 1 this week. However, we WILL be number 1 by the time the season ends and be the favorite to win it all.

If we don't get picked no. 1 this week, who cares? Its just for one week anyway, I expect our team to be no worse than no. 2.
UConn will not be #1 next week, but it will have nothing to do with Alabama. It will be because Virginia and Purdue haven't lost.

The idea that voters would have Alabama jump over an undefeated team who beat them by double digits on a neutral floor is so insane that it suggests you've never really followed a college basketball season.

Reaction Score
Thinking Virginia will get #1, UConn #2, Purdue stays at #3, then it's tougher to call. Bama #4, Kansas #5, Houston #6, Tennessee stays #7, Texas #8? Top 3 will be closer though.
Jumping over Purdue—which won a tough road game that is borderline Quad 1—but not UVA, who won a close buy game against JMU doesn't make a ton of sense. I think they either jump both or neither. My guess is neither.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hope Uconn is but won't be surprise if we end no.2 and Alabama is no. 1. We handily beat an LIU team by 53 points at home, but Alabama did beat no. 1 ranked Houston on the road and also rallied from 15 points down in a very hostile environment. Eventually however, we will be no. 1 because 1.) We'll be tops in the Big East (at least and 18-2 record or better) 2.) We are undefeated with a decent out of conference schedule. Personally, I think we are the best team in the country right now.

I agree, Alabama has a better resume. They have a loss, but we haven't had to play as tough a schedule as them. If we had to play UConn we would have a loss too.

Reaction Score
Jumping over Purdue—which won a tough road game that is borderline Quad 1—but not UVA, who won a close buy game against JMU doesn't make a ton of sense. I think they either jump both or neither. My guess is neither.
Very true. It'll be close for sure. Just thinking AP voters will go the easy root and bump Virginia up from that 3 spot even with the close victories. UConn jumping Purdue is probably a toss up for most voters. Agreed, we could very well see no jumps so UVA 1, Purdue 2, UConn 3. I do think UConn deserves #1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very true. It'll be close for sure. Just thinking AP voters will go the easy root and bump Virginia up from that 3 spot even with the close victories. UConn jumping Purdue is probably a toss up for most voters. Agreed, would could very well see no jumps so UVA 1, Purdue 2, UConn 3. I do think UConn deserves #1.
If the voters didn't punish UVA last weak for a 5 point home win against a 1-9 (at the time) FSU team, I don't think it punishes either UVA or Purdue this week for what amount to better wins in each case.

Reaction Score
We should start seeing #1 votes but probably end up 2 or 3 in the polls. ‘Bama in the Top 5
Seeing a lot of votes for #1, even if not picked as the top team (but we deserve it), will be some validation anyway. In the past, when having a decent record, I might still worry what if we faced some other top team. Not this year. I don’t care who the opponent is, I’m not worried that UConn might lose.

Reaction Score
Nice to see a high ranking now but it's who is standing and the final game of the season.

Reaction Score
UConn will not be #1 next week, but it will have nothing to do with Alabama. It will be because Virginia and Purdue haven't lost.

The idea that voters would have Alabama jump over an undefeated team who beat them by double digits on a neutral floor is so insane that it suggests you've never really followed a college basketball season.
I get that Uconn beat Alabama by 15 points but does that necessarily preclude Alabama from jumping over Uconn to become no. 1....even though they got a win over a dangerous top ranked Houston team on the road? Is that even possible? We'll see...

By the way even if I'm wrong, thats not indicative I haven't followed a college basketball season. Just to be clear, I've been following college hoops for years, so not sure why you would want to suggest that in the first place.

Anyways, we'll be fine. I expect Uconn to have their 5th National Championship this year and polls won't even matter anyway during March Madness.

Reaction Score
I get that Uconn beat Alabama by 15 points but does that necessarily preclude Alabama from jumping over Uconn to become no. 1....even though they got a win over a dangerous top ranked Houston team on the road? Is that even possible? We'll see...
It absolutely does preclude it when UConn hasn't lost. It would not only be indefensible, but I'd wager that such a thing has literally never happened in the AP poll (an undefeated Top 5 team jumped by a team they beat by double digits).
By the way even if I'm wrong, thats not indicative I haven't followed a college basketball season. Just to be clear, I've been following college hoops for years, so not sure why you would want to suggest that in the first place.
I suggested it because your "Alabama may jump UConn despite UConn beating them by double figures" take is so absurd it's one of the only logical solutions to explain it.

Reaction Score
Thats what I think it should be too. Uconn no.1, Alabama at no. 2....both jump over Virginia and Purdue even though neither of those two teams lost.

Reaction Score
It absolutely does preclude it when UConn hasn't lost. It would not only be indefensible, but I'd wager that such a thing has literally never happened in the AP poll (an undefeated Top 5 team jumped by a team they beat by double digits).

I suggested it because your "Alabama may jump UConn despite UConn beating them by double figures" take is so absurd it's one of the only logical solutions to explain it.
You can suggest it, but I'm not going to agree with that. Whatever. We can agree to disagree. One thing we can agree on I think...is Uconn is the best team so far this year...who cares if they're ranked no. 1 or not.

Reaction Score
Alabama beat the number 1 team, they have 1 loss. We’re their 1 loss. Alabama will be ranked in the top 5 on Monday, how does any objective person argue with that, and that every single objective metric will have us number 1. It’d be disgusting if the basketball writers of America don’t give us our rightful due.
They will not allow us to jump Perdueeeee. We will probably show up as #2 or #3 to be honest.

UVA and Purdue will be #1 and #2 in some order. We will be #3.

Reaction Score
They will not allow us to jump Perdueeeee. We will probably show up as #2 or #3 to be honest.

UVA and Purdue will be #1 and #2 in some order. We will be #3.
Uconn frontline

Reaction Score
My guess is #3 based on the way the polls work.

That's tied with Xavier for the highest ranking for a non-Nova team in the new Big East. Can they one up Xavier?

Would be big step for the conference.

Reaction Score

1670719471138.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01