We need to be #1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We need to be #1

Reaction Score
Uconn should move ahead of Purdue because we blew out Florida on the road as well as devouring LIU today by 53.
Should and a biased will are two different things

Reaction Score
Thread title needs a little work. Should it not be “we should be #1”? We don’t need to be #1 like mama boy. We are UConn and we take #1 !

Reaction Score
The higher they rank us now the better. Our problem will be if one or two conference losses come from outside the top 5 in the BE. The goal would be a conference championship and a 3 seed at worst in the Tourney. And to stay healthy. This is some collection of talent though.

Reaction Score
The writers that vote don’t like to be wrong. They rarely have any team jump a team if they haven’t lost. As much as UConn probably deserves the #1 ranking I highly doubt they’ll penalize Purdue or VA for winning by not as much or not as convincing. Anyone that thinks Bama will be ahead of UConn needs to put the pipe down. Be patient… It’s just a matter of time and this team will be #1.

Reaction Score
To be even having a conversation if we should be #1 is amazing in itself.

Honestly, we haven’t been in serious discussion for #1 since the 2008-2009 season…..14 years ago.

Final seasons standings of 2011 and 2014 don’t count.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Who cares????? Do you all want t shirts???

Let’s be #1 when it counts, at the end. Polls are meaningless, been that way pretty much forever. You all think it’s gonna change now???

Results are all that matters. We shouldn’t need validation from the sports writer at the Des Moines Chronicle and you all shouldn’t be so butt hurt when he puts us at #8 cuz his nephew got bit by a Husky dog.
Yup. Worrying about #1 this week is so Syracuse. No thanks. It’s almost better that all the talking heads scream about us being 1 than being #1, if everyone’s problem is publicity on that front.

Cream rises to the top. And let’s decimate the league.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The higher they rank us now the better. Our problem will be if one or two conference losses come from outside the top 5 in the BE. The goal would be a conference championship and a 3 seed at worst in the Tourney. And to stay healthy. This is some collection of talent though.
At this point, a 3 seed? That's not the goal, that's the floor.

Reaction Score
So I’m in an elevator at a hotel this morning in South Bend (I know enemy territory - my 12 yr old here for Peewee AAA hockey tournament) with my son when Fran Fraschilla walks in. Awesome guy. Headed over to the stadium to call the ND game.

So I say - how ‘bout them Huskies?! He smiles and he says they are the real deal! He said he’s good friends with Coach Hurley and texted him yesterday to say how impressed he is.

He says they will be Number 1 Monday!

He knows more than me!

I told him to say something on UConn on air. He may he says. I’ll though I’ll miss it due to my kid’s game.

Anyways, really cool down-to-earth guy!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Thinking Virginia will get #1, UConn #2, Purdue stays at #3, then it's tougher to call. Bama #4, Kansas #5, Houston #6, Tennessee stays #7, Texas #8? Top 3 will be closer though.
I think this is right, even though we haven’t had any scares at all, and Virginia almost dropped one to Michigan, plus close wins against a bad FSU and James Madison.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
people that worry about December polls are the same folks likely to cry in March that the "best' team didn't win. Votes, and deserves, and subjective "best teams" are all made up metrics compared to the real measure of win or lose. We're on track for a decent seed, other than that, I'd like to go in underrated and prove the voters wrong.

Reaction Score
I think Virginia will remain number 1 , but
we will jump Purdue for the 2 spot just because of how we’re getting so much press lately and everyone is saying we’re the best team and we’re destroying teams and yes , usually if you win you maintain your hold or at least don’t drop in the polls , but I think in this particular case sometimes there are special circumstances and Uconn will jump Purdue for that second spot- so: 1-UVA, 2-UConn, 3- Purdue, 4- Bama. This seems likely unless, like other posters have suggested - the writers are dumb

Reaction Score
We’ll be anywhere from #1 to #3, and we’ll absolutely receive votes for #1. I could easily see it going Purdue, Good Guys, Virginia. As far as elite wins, Purdue beat Duke and Gonzaga, we beat Alabama, and Virginia beat Baylor. Of course, we crush everyone. Some might say it’s rare to jump a team who didn’t lose, except we jumped from #20 to #8 just a few weeks ago. The nation is paying attention to us.

I know that our end-of-season rankings matter the most, but it would be fun as heck to be #1 again. I advise all of you who don’t think so to be a little less cynical and enjoy the ride. We’re back.

Reaction Score
Purdue beat the 73rd ranked kenpom at home by 3 in ot, we beat the 53rd ranked kenpom team by 21 at home, we're also now 1`there too so we deserve it
I don't disagree at all; but I will play the contrarian for this point.

Keep the chip on the shoulders a bit more. This bunch was un ranked to start the season and chipped away every team they have played. More like blasted away. I have been watching UConn ball for a long time.
The floor diving for loose balls against LIU when up 50 with 4 minutes left was outrageous and heart skipped a beat. Hawk lost the ball off the dribble with maybe 4.5 or five left. His grimace was classic. He was beyond annoyed. A+ effort against a bad team when up by 50. 2nd team held the lead. Springs and DH jr scored!

What I learned?

They compete like hell.

This team looks prepared and ready to step on a lot of mother frugin' throats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think blowing out LIU by any amount is going to move the needle with voters. Nor should it probably.
True, if its just LIU. However, when you add the 21 point blowout against Florida (and on the road) wouldn't that be enough to overtake Purdue?

Reaction Score
The writers that vote don’t like to be wrong. They rarely have any team jump a team if they haven’t lost. As much as UConn probably deserves the #1 ranking I highly doubt they’ll penalize Purdue or VA for winning by not as much or not as convincing. Anyone that thinks Bama will be ahead of UConn needs to put the pipe down. Be patient… It’s just a matter of time and this team will be #1.
I only said Alabama could overtake Uconn at no. 1 because the pollsters (they have been biased before too) may not see it our way and they might consider Alabama deserving of no. 1 over Uconn because they beat Houston on the road and rallied from 15 points down.

However, I agree 100% Uconn should be no. 1 and ahead of Alabama....especially since the Huskies already beat that same Alabama team by 15 points. If the pollsters don't do it our way, they would be the ridiculous ones.

Anywas, we'll know soon enough tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I think uconn has shown theyre the #1 so far. But my heart isn’t going to be broken if they don’t jump two undefeated teams. I’m sure they’ll get a decent share of the first place votes. Keep winning and it’ll take care of itself

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
During the Ok State vs VTech game, Seth Greenberg and Laphonso Ellis put UConn #1 in their rankings.

tempImageIhouH2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom