WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the oddest little pieces of CT is that northern sliver of the western section of Greenwich that kind of sticks into NY. I don't think it has a name, but it's around the Tamarack Golf Course and it is odd because if you're a NY resident like me who frequently travels on I-684, you get the Entering Connecticut and Exiting Connecticut signs about a mile apart. Hard to think of other places where state boundaries are like that around interstates, but it has never failed to give me a thrill that I'm back in CT, if only for a minute.

Riverside,Ct home of the great Dorothy Hamill.

Reaction Score
You really nailed Rowaytonites to a T, Alydar. I used to live about a mile or so from the Rowaytonites border and went to Jr. High with the kids from there. We used to laugh than the the kids would never admit they were from So Norwalk. Rowayton has their own post office, even the gov. Refused to recognize So. Norwalk. Belle Island and Wilson Point are even wealthier and you have to drive thru the worst of So No to get there

I actually lived on Belle Island for a year and a half. A really nice place to come home to after a day working in Stamford.

Reaction Score
One of the oddest little pieces of CT is that northern sliver of the western section of Greenwich that kind of sticks into NY. I don't think it has a name, but it's around the Tamarack Golf Course and it is odd because if you're a NY resident like me who frequently travels on I-684, you get the Entering Connecticut and Exiting Connecticut signs about a mile apart. Hard to think of other places where state boundaries are like that around interstates, but it has never failed to give me a thrill that I'm back in CT, if only for a minute.
I don't think that it's Riverside, might be either Glennville or Banksville.

T

TroyHouse66

Moose Meadow, Conn.

I suppose that I should step in here and praise the quiet and comfort of East Willington, Conn. (NOT Willington and, hardly, South Willington... those two over-populated municipalities). East Willington lays at the nadir of two mile-long stretchs that climb east and west out of the Fenton River bed on the Tolland Turnpike (Conn 74).
My second Senior year, we rented half of a farmhouse located between the Fenton River & Moose Meadow Rd. on Conn 74. Next door was Mrs. Amidon's large, rambling house (Maude Amidon.. G-d rest her... She and her husband are up on Willington Hill). The house, in various sections had been a shoemaker's, green house, general store, Amidon home, and the E Willington Post Office. To the west, beyond the Fenton River, was the Amidon Mill... famously home to several enterprises, including the "Willington Slugger" baseball bat factory.
I believe she told me the post office was closed about 1910. I do know it was an official station in 1893 and had closed by 1916. Anyway... when you invited people on campus up to the house, you were first corrected to S Willington... and then to Willington. No, those were crowded settlements compared to E Willington.
If you really wanted to throw folks completely for a loop, you could always say you were from Moose Meadow, Conn a previous incarnation of E Willington just up Moose Meadow Road.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

I believe this is the only place where an interstate highway travels through a state without having an exit in that state.

The Counties in Connecticut historically did little, but apparently they are now doing more.

They're still do nothing. The state government is encouraging regionalization for some things but it's happening via town governments, not through counties.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I spent a winter vacation in the Town of Ridgefield, Connecticut. Absolutely beautiful.

Reaction Score
In beautiful northwestern Connecticut is the historic town of Litchfield, with a population of only about 8,000. Yet, it is divided into 2 boroughs; Bantam and Litchfield, and 3 villages; Milton, Northfield, and East Litchfield. And of course, each thinks their part of town is the best .

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yeah, that is why I put villages in quotes.
When I lived in Central PA, people tended to identify with their counties and would ask me what county in CT I was from. I had to think twice since CT counties don't do anything. They also were surprised that everyone was from a town and would ask "What if you lived on a farm?" In that part of PA those might be in a township but not in the town (different taxes and services). Then I lived in upstate NY where we had a County Legislature! (And County taxes!)

From LINK

Connecticut is divided into 8 counties. Four of them were created in 1666, during the first consolidation of the colony of Connecticut from a number of smaller colonies. Two counties were created during colonial times, and two counties, Middlesex and Tolland, were created after American independence (both in 1785). Six of the counties are named for locations in England, where many early Connecticut settlers originated. Although Connecticut is divided into counties, there is no county government in Connecticut and local government consists of cities and towns. County government was abolished in Connecticut in 1960, although the names remain for geographical purposes. Counties are, however, still used by the state to organize its judicial and state marshal system.

And

Connecticut has counties (?) that no longer exist. They were established by the state, provincial, or territorial government. Most of these counties were created and disbanded in the 19th century; county boundaries have changed little since 1900 in the vast majority of states. These counties need to be looked at when doing genealogy research. Pay close attention where the courthouse records went to if the county was abolished or combined with another county.

• Westmoreland County was a county established by Connecticut in 1776 (the present day area of Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania), until it was ceded to Pennsylvania in 1784. It briefly seceded to become the State of Westmoreland

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I remember seeing somewhere an article about the disappearing municipalities in Connecticut, two of which I know well: Talcottville (Vernon) and Hazardville (Enfield) (the "villes") and as I believe, Rockville, where my family is from soon to follow. There are others in the area where I grew up but my facts are sketchy as I don't know for sure their history, only that they were towns as I knew them when I was little, but now are all part of East Windsor: Warehouse Point, Broad Brook, Scantic, Melrose, and Windsorville (another 'ville')

I continue to hunt for the data however,
From Wikipedia:

Connecticut is one of two New England states to have any type of incorporated general-purpose municipality below the town level, namely incorporated boroughs (Vermont has incorporated villages). There are nine remaining in the state. They were once more numerous.[16] Many of those that remain are very small. Connecticut also has at least one remaining city (Groton) that is within, but not coextensive with, its parent town. A second non-coextensive city, Winsted, still exists on paper, but its government has been consolidated with that of the town of Winchester for many years, making it more of a special-purpose district than a true municipality. Winsted is no longer recognized by the Census Bureau as an incorporated place, although data is tabulated for a Census Designated Place that is coextensive with that of the original city.

• The largest municipality in Connecticut, by population, is the city of Bridgeport (pop. 144,229).
  • The largest that is a town and not a city is West Hartford (pop. 63,268).
  • The smallest that is a city and not a town, only including cities that are coextensive with their towns, is Derby(pop. 12,902), density 2,507/sq mi. The city-within-a-town of Groton, however, is smaller (pop. 10,389), and to the extent that Winsted is recognized as a non-coextensive city, it is even smaller than Groton is (pop. 7,712).
  • The smallest town is Union (pop. 854).
  • The largest municipality by land area is the town of New Milford (61.6 square miles (160 km2)).
  • The smallest town-level municipality is Derby (4.98 square miles (12.9 km2)).

Reaction Score
Whigsville---in days gone by was a section of Bristol, maybe Terryville on the Bristol/Terryville line
Wequetequock---a bend in the road (Rt 1) between Westerly, R.I and Mystic, Ct. (a female comic came from there--used it in her routines)

Many of the sections of towns with separate names were postal districts- in Central Ct, Wallingford- Tracy and Yalesville, Hamden- Mt. Carmel, Middletown- Westfield, Berlin- Kensington, Southington- Plantsville, Middlefield- Rock Fall.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You really nailed Rowaytonites to a T, Alydar. I used to live about a mile or so from the Rowaytonites border and went to Jr. High with the kids from there. We used to laugh than the the kids would never admit they were from So Norwalk. Rowayton has their own post office, even the gov. Refused to recognize So. Norwalk. Belle Island and Wilson Point are even wealthier and you have to drive thru the worst of So No to get there
Oh in that case we'll just annex that piece onto NY, because we need a lot more famous NYers to be proud of. Trouble is we already have at least one place called Riverside, but there's a few other duplicated towns in NY. We'll leave Brooklyn, CT alone, because one Brooklyn is by far enough.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Whigsville---in days gone by was a section of Bristol, maybe Terryville on the Bristol/Terryville line
Wequetequock---a bend in the road (Rt 1) between Westerly, R.I and Mystic, Ct. (a female comic came from there--used it in her routines)

I can add the Buckland section of Manchester, which the Buckland Mall is NOT in, and Mansfield Depot, Mansfield Hollow and Eagleville, the home of one of the things I miss about CT -- Champlion's General Store, on the first of the 2 right-angle turns just above the Eagleville Pond dam as you're heading toward Coventry on 275.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Nayaug hasn't gotten a call yet. Back in the day they used to call themselves the 51st state. These days I think of it mostly as the home of my favorite Chinese restaurant - Char Koon. And the eastern stop of the Glastonbury-Rocky Hill ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom