WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any?? | The Boneyard

WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whigsville---in days gone by was a section of Bristol, maybe Terryville on the Bristol/Terryville line
Wequetequock---a bend in the road (Rt 1) between Westerly, R.I and Mystic, Ct. (a female comic came from there--used it in her routines)

Reaction Score
Whigsville I thought was between Bristol and Burlington.Pequabuck between Bristol and Terryville.I haven't heard Whigsville in a while.

Reaction Score
Whigsville---in days gone by was a section of Bristol, maybe Terryville on the Bristol/Terryville line
Wequetequock---a bend in the road (Rt 1) between Westerly, R.I and Mystic, Ct. (a female comic came from there--used it in her routines)

Ruth Buzzi. She went to Stonington HS, and starred on Rowin and Martin's Laughin

Reaction Score
Rowayton. On the western tip of Norwalk harbor. South of South Norwalk and part of that town to which the residents would rather not admit. They can tell you about a wonderful boutique cafe at Central Park East but have trouble giving directions to Hartford.

Reaction Score
Chickahominy, the western part of Greenwich. Home of the former Arnold's bread bakery and the 300 foot brick oven which runs 24 / 7. Now Bimbo bakery. You can smell the bread on I-95.

Reaction Score
Rowayton. On the western tip of Norwalk harbor. South of South Norwalk and part of that town to which the residents would rather not admit. They can tell you about a wonderful boutique cafe at Central Park East but have trouble giving directions to Hartford.
Rowayton definitely does not qualify as obscure. There's a couple of big highway signs on I-95 for it, and it covers a decent sized section of the city of Norwalk and is full of yacht clubs, marinas, beach associations, and parks and a little "downtown" strip with stores, restaurants, a post office, and a fire department. It's quite a nice neighborhood that feels like it should be on the Darien side instead of part of Norwalk.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
Storrs? That's the college basketball capital of the world. Everyone knows that place!

image-711929964.jpg

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Rowayton definitely does not qualify as obscure. There's a couple of big highway signs on I-95 for it, and it covers a decent sized section of the city of Norwalk and is full of yacht clubs, marinas, beach associations, and parks and a little "downtown" strip with stores, restaurants, a post office, and a fire department. It's quite a nice neighborhood that feels like it should be on the Darien side instead of part of Norwalk.
Why should it be on the Darien side? What's wrong with Norwalk – it can't have nice sections?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Storrs? That's the college basketball capital of the world. Everyone knows that place!

Excuse me for resurrecting a gag line from vaudeville, but Storrs used to be called Store until they opened a second one.:confused:

Also add Noroton (part of Darien) to the list of communities within Connecticut municipalities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Excuse me for resurrecting a gag line from vaudeville, but Storrs used to be called Store until they opened a second one.:confused:

Also add Noroton (part of Darien) to the list of communities within Connecticut municipalities.
I believe that that is Lou Holtz's line, although he may have used it in a vaudeville act.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why should it be on the Darien side? What's wrong with Norwalk – it can't have nice sections?
Get off exit 12 and drive route 136 through Darien and into Rowayton... it feels like they are one and the same. Contrast that to the other side of Rowayton when you reach that traffic light that is basically the end of Rowayton and the beginning of MLK Drive and Norwalk's industrial section. It's like driving from a typical nice Connecticut suburb into Downtown Baghdad.

Reaction Score

I lived in Rowayton many years ago. If you spent any time living in Fairfield county you learn that there is a great deal of snobbishness attached to where one lives. Residents of Rowayton never never never said they lived in the town of Norwalk. While I agree that Norwalk is a very nice town, it ranked between Bridgeport and Stanford on the snob appeal ranking system of the towns between Bridgeport and Greenwich. And within many of these towns there an additional pecking order among various internal boroughs.

Rowayton is adjacent t0 Darien and like many of the bedroom towns in Fairfield County, culturally connected to NY. And while there may be highway signs listing it no one passes through Rowayton to anywhere else. A state road goes south through it and then does a 180 to go north to South Norwalk. A revealing fact (at least when I lived there) was that the I95 exit for Rowayton (12) only had an entrance going west (to NY) and an exit going east (from NY).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Get off exit 12 and drive route 136 through Darien and into Rowayton... it feels like they are one and the same. Contrast that to the other side of Rowayton when you reach that traffic light that is basically the end of Rowayton and the beginning of MLK Drive and Norwalk's industrial section. It's like driving from a typical nice Connecticut suburb into Downtown Baghdad.

That is a cruel description of South Norwalk, home to a large number of low income people and a significant segment of African-Americans and Hispanics. Fellow Norwalkers and fellow Americans to me.

I have not been to Baghdad recently so I can't make a comparison.

Reaction Score
Whigville part of Burlington, Ct. which borders Bristol.

Reaction Score
Translation:

Wequetequock or Wicketaquock: "Land at the end of tide waters." A cove between Stonington Borough and Pawcatuck; site of Chesebrough homestead and oldest graves.

Calendar of Events Online Store Sponsors
Excellent!! I wanted to learn more about these section and you did it. I remember driving along Rt 1 from Westerly, R.I passing a neat pond or inlet with Swans in it, Wequetequock--I blame the map I used for the spelling. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Whigville part of Burlington, Ct. which borders Bristol.
Thanks. I entered Whigsville from Terryville--nothing then to define the separation of Bristol, Terryville, Burlington--west of Rt 72.
Thank you.
I lived in Rowayton many years ago. If you spent any time living in Fairfield county you learn that there is a great deal of snobbishness attached to where one lives. Residents of Rowayton never never never said they lived in the town of Norwalk. While I agree that Norwalk is a very nice town, it ranked between Bridgeport and Stanford on the snob appeal ranking system of the towns between Bridgeport and Greenwich. And within many of these towns there an additional pecking order among various internal boroughs.

Rowayton is adjacent t0 Darien and like many of the bedroom towns in Fairfield County, culturally connected to NY. And while there may be highway signs listing it no one passes through Rowayton to anywhere else. A state road goes south through it and then does a 180 to go north to South Norwalk. A revealing fact (at least when I lived there) was that the I95 exit for Rowayton (12) only had an entrance going west (to NY) and an exit going east (from NY).

Thank you---

Reaction Score
That is a cruel description of South Norwalk, home to a large number of low income people and a significant segment of African-Americans and Hispanics. Fellow Norwalkers and fellow Americans to me.

Thank you!.

I have not been to Baghdad recently so I can't make a comparison.
I'm sure there a hundred or two Iraqi Veterans Boneyarders who can describe it to you should you really want that analysis!

In my formative years in Connecticut--Except for West Hartford, Simsbury, a section of a town or two and a couple of towns along the coast---EVERYONE else was low income or lower but we never knew it. Thank you FDR etc for the G.I. Bill.

I like that everyone else are fellow AMERICAN"S to you!! I prefer the description of heritage to always begin with AMERICAN.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that our neighborhood deserves mention. We live in the (NW) Norwalk portion of Silvermine, which also includes SW Wilton and SE New Canaan. We have a sketch map - "Historic Silvermine" - that we obtained at the Silvermine Tavern before Frank and Marsha Whitman closed it.

Reaction Score
Eat Lyme has a number of "villages". Most know Niantic. North of that is Flanders. Then there are those that aren't widely used any more like Whistletown and Golden Spur (where they used to have diving horses!)
When I first moved to eastern CT, I needed to find the town hall for Sprague. Turns out, there is no section known as Sprague - the town is made of the villages of Hanover, Baltic and Versailles (Town Hall in Baltic!)

Reaction Score
Eat Lyme has a number of "villages". Most know Niantic. North of that is Flanders. Then there are those that aren't widely used any more like Whistletown and Golden Spur (where they used to have diving horses!)
When I first moved to eastern CT, I needed to find the town hall for Sprague. Turns out, there is no section known as Sprague - the town is made of the villages of Hanover, Baltic and Versailles (Town Hall in Baltic!)
We don't really have true villages in CT. What we call villages are really just neighborhoods or a.k.a. "sections of town." I point this out because in other states (like NY) villages are real independent administrative divisions and will have their own village hall, police department, fire department, and laws/ordinances. In CT there are no counties (like RI and soon to be MA), and the only subdivision of the state that matters is the tax town of which there are 169. Sprague is #133 since it goes alphabetically. I am wondering how many towns don't have a town proper/green/center that isn't named after the town - that does seem relatively rare in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom