WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WAY OT--Obscure sections of Connecticut Towns -- do you have any??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eat Lyme has a number of "villages". Most know Niantic. North of that is Flanders. Then there are those that aren't widely used any more like Whistletown and Golden Spur (where they used to have diving horses!)
When I first moved to eastern CT, I needed to find the town hall for Sprague. Turns out, there is no section known as Sprague - the town is made of the villages of Hanover, Baltic and Versailles (Town Hall in Baltic!)
I think there are actually two towns that have sections called Flanders. I forget where the other one is. That seems illogical, but when you look at other states that have multiple towns with the same names (PA has several towns named "Pine" in various counties for example), I guess it's not so bad!

Reaction Score
Walking distance from the house where I lived, just past the old 1-room Avon Schoolhouse, is an unadvertised, non-obvious apple orchard. Up the long driveway was a little refrigerated apple shack. Pick out your bag of freshly-harvested apples and leave your $3.00 in the cigar box - honor system. One of my greatest Connecticut pleasures was biting into an ice-cold McCoun apple - just like candy - Mmmmmmm! Have never seen McCouns anywhere else. Right up there (almost) with watching Diana Taurasi make the play to win the game (back when UCONN had actual competition)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Walking distance from the house where I lived, just past the old 1-room Avon Schoolhouse, is an unadvertised, non-obvious apple orchard. Up the long driveway was a little refrigerated apple shack. Pick out your bag of freshly-harvested apples and leave your $3.00 in the cigar box - honor system. One of my greatest Connecticut pleasures was biting into an ice-cold McCoun apple - just like candy - Mmmmmmm! Have never seen McCouns anywhere else. Right up there (almost) with watching Diana Taurasi make the play to win the game (back when UCONN had actual competition)
It's still there, the only place in the area I can find Rhode Island Greenings for pie.

Old CT road maps had a section of Canaan, I think, labeled Sodom.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that our neighborhood deserves mention. We live in the (NW) Norwalk portion of Silvermine, which also includes SW Wilton and SE New Canaan. We have a sketch map - "Historic Silvermine" - that we obtained at the Silvermine Tavern before Frank and Marsha Whitman closed it.
I grew up in Norwalk, technically East Norwalk, and I still have family there. The Silvermine Tavern Sunday brunch on the deck was the great first date (maybe an even better morning-after-first time). Beautiful country. There are several beautiful parts of town, but outsiders just see what borders the highways and the train tracks. It is a city, with problems and challenges faced by most urban areas. Even when Norwalk had far fewer rundown areas, the people in Rowayton were Norwalk deniers. And that's before Darien became so very exclusive.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One of the oddest little pieces of CT is that northern sliver of the western section of Greenwich that kind of sticks into NY. I don't think it has a name, but it's around the Tamarack Golf Course and it is odd because if you're a NY resident like me who frequently travels on I-684, you get the Entering Connecticut and Exiting Connecticut signs about a mile apart. Hard to think of other places where state boundaries are like that around interstates, but it has never failed to give me a thrill that I'm back in CT, if only for a minute.

Reaction Score
We don't really have true villages in CT. What we call villages are really just neighborhoods or a.k.a. "sections of town." I point this out because in other states (like NY) villages are real independent administrative divisions and will have their own village hall, police department, fire department, and laws/ordinances. In CT there are no counties (like RI and soon to be MA), and the only subdivision of the state that matters is the tax town of which there are 169. Sprague is #133 since it goes alphabetically. I am wondering how many towns don't have a town proper/green/center that isn't named after the town - that does seem relatively rare in the state.

Yeah, that is why I put villages in quotes.
When I lived in Central PA, people tended to identify with their counties and would ask me what county in CT I was from. I had to think twice since CT counties don't do anything. They also were surprised that everyone was from a town and would ask "What if you lived on a farm?" In that part of PA those might be in a township but not in the town (different taxes and services). Then I lived in upstate NY where we had a County Legislature! (And County taxes!)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I believe we overlooked Georgetown, and no wonder - only about 1,805 residents (2010 census) divvied up among converging corners of Redding, Wilton, Weston, and Ridgefield converge. Georgetown is variously described as a village or a "census-designated place.":rolleyes: Residents claim their own zip code (06829) that transcends four town boundaries and are fiercely insistent that they are Georgetownians :mad:(or is it -ites?).

Anyhow, count Georgetown in this thread - 1,805 citizens residing there insist!:)

Last edited:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Norwalk also has a section called Cranbury. One of the interesting facts about that section is the name of the road that the elementary school is on. Cranbury School was built on an undeveloped parcel on a brand new road. The city had a contest among school children to name the new road. I am sure there must have been hundreds or thousands of entries. I bet there were lots of safe, straightforward names they could have gone with, but they didn't. The administrators went with a cute and creative name: Knowalot Lane. I think that's cool.

Windsor has the Wilson and Poquonock sections.
There's Dodgingtown around Newtown, I believe.

Reaction Score
Hey, not obscure, but there is Mystic! It is not really a town. Parts of it are in Stonington, Groton, and Ledyard. How strange that one of Connecticut's most famous destinations is not a legal town.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that is why I put villages in quotes.
When I lived in Central PA, people tended to identify with their counties and would ask me what county in CT I was from. I had to think twice since CT counties don't do anything. They also were surprised that everyone was from a town and would ask "What if you lived on a farm?" In that part of PA those might be in a township but not in the town (different taxes and services). Then I lived in upstate NY where we had a County Legislature! (And County taxes!)
I grew up in Ct. But I've lived in about 12 states and Puerto Rico. One was Pa (Downingtown)---Most of the states administration is centered around the County. Cities self governed. I too noticed that Pa had a number of towns with the same name. Virginia, locals, identify themselves with counties. The Counties in Connecticut historically did little, but apparently they are now doing more. ''Thanks.

Reaction Score
Hey, not obscure, but there is Mystic! It is not really a town. Parts of it are in Stonington, Groton, and Ledyard. How strange that one of Connecticut's most famous destinations is not a legal town.
Not obscure--both sides of the river. Do you know where Pequotsepos Rd or River is?? Or the Denison house (Denison Tx is named for that family)

Reaction Score
Norwalk also has a section called Cranbury. One of the interesting facts about that section is the name of the road that the elementary school is on. Cranbury School was built on an undeveloped parcel on a brand new road. The city had a contest among school children to name the new road. I am sure there must have been hundreds or thousands of entries. I bet there were lots of safe, straightforward names they could have gone with, but they didn't. The administrators went with a cute and creative name: Knowalot Lane. I think that's cool.

Windsor has the Wilson and Poquonock sections.
There's Dodgingtown around Newtown, I believe.
I'm going to meet with the South Britain/Southbury Historian next week I'll ask about Dodgingtown --sounds interesting.

Reaction Score
There's this quaint, 4-acre section of Burlington that I call heaven whenever my wife is home.
Burlington--isn't that or wasn't that the home of Teddy who wore the tall Blue and White hat and led the U C O N N cheers at the home games??? Haven't seen Teddy in a while.

Reaction Score
We don't really have true villages in CT. What we call villages are really just neighborhoods or a.k.a. "sections of town." I point this out because in other states (like NY) villages are real independent administrative divisions and will have their own village hall, police department, fire department, and laws/ordinances. In CT there are no counties (like RI and soon to be MA), and the only subdivision of the state that matters is the tax town of which there are 169. Sprague is #133 since it goes alphabetically. I am wondering how many towns don't have a town proper/green/center that isn't named after the town - that does seem relatively rare in the state.
Village definition (not legal definition)-a group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area. Wikeliki ?? Specifies a number of Connecticut "sections" as a Village.
I don't know what the TRUE legal definition is or is it that of which you are familiar ? (The last part is for Kibitzer)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Norwalk also has a section called Cranbury. The city had a contest among school children to name the new road. I am sure there must have been hundreds or thousands of entries. I bet there were lots of safe, straightforward names they could have gone with, but they didn't. The administrators went with a cute and creative name: Knowalot Lane. I think that's cool.

As noted elsewhere, our TonyC lives in Cranbury (n.b., it is tuff to remember that it's NOT Cranberry!:rolleyes:), and there are other streets in the community named by school kids - my fave is Toilsome Road. A big attraction is Cranbury Park, a lovely open space and site of the elegant Gallagher Mansion (named for the park's benefactor).

Reaction Score
Not obscure--both sides of the river. Do you know where Pequotsepos Rd or River is?? Or the Denison house (Denison Tx is named for that family)
I know where the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center is!

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Eat Lyme has a number of "villages". Most know Niantic. North of that is Flanders. Then there are those that aren't widely used any more like Whistletown and Golden Spur (where they used to have diving horses!)
When I first moved to eastern CT, I needed to find the town hall for Sprague. Turns out, there is no section known as Sprague - the town is made of the villages of Hanover, Baltic and Versailles (Town Hall in Baltic!)

Somewhere in the woods around Whistletown there used to be an obscure walking trail, which they kept blazed, and was the original Boston/New York Turnpike. Don't know if the trail is still maintained.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Know them quite well. Use them all them all the time to avoid the tourist crowds, especially around the Seaport, to reach a friend's house on School St. Also had an old friend who lived on River Rd.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Know them quite well. Use them all them all the time to avoid the tourist crowds, especially around the Seaport, to reach a friend's house on School St. Also had an old friend who lived on River Rd.
As do I - I was a member of the Nature Center for years, and lived in Mystic, just down from where River Rd ends, for 22 years.

Reaction Score
Barkhamsted, a town of about 40 square miles, population 3,500, in Litchfield County, is comprised mainly of two villages: Pleasant Valley and Riverton. The majority live in Pleasant Valley with only about 700 living in Riverton.

Riverton is a beautiful, out of the way valley comprised of State Forests, pristine water, and no traffic lights in its 20 or so square miles. There is a post office, fire station, a General Store, an Inn, a nice restaurant, a glass blower, and plenty of water power from the Farmington and Still Rivers.

This source of power made Riverton a major draw during the industrial revolution, most notably, the Hitchcock Chair factory. Today, the Farmington river in Riverton is federally designated as Wild & Scenic. Today, the village is popular with Trout Fishermen, kayakers who enjoy the rapids, and motorcyclists, who, on a nice weekend, enjoy the beautiful country roads that follow the rivers. Hitchcock chairs are still made there too.

Reaction Score
Glasgo.... When I first went there it was a church and a post office, (the front of someones living room). They retired , so the post office is gone, and the church hasn't been used for about 10 years, there's a newer one about a mile away, in another town....but there are 3 sunflower fields that just generated over $900,000 for charity...even made the news...:)

Reaction Score
Rowayton. On the western tip of Norwalk harbor. South of South Norwalk and part of that town to which the residents would rather not admit. They can tell you about a wonderful boutique cafe at Central Park East but have trouble giving directions to Hartford.

You really nailed Rowaytonites to a T, Alydar. I used to live about a mile or so from the Rowaytonites border and went to Jr. High with the kids from there. We used to laugh than the the kids would never admit they were from So Norwalk. Rowayton has their own post office, even the gov. Refused to recognize So. Norwalk. Belle Island and Wilson Point are even wealthier and you have to drive thru the worst of So No to get there

Reaction Score
Wilton has Georgetown which residents do use this address and Cannondale, former home of Cannondale bikes. There is a cannon on Rt7 that serves as the entrance to Cannondale (duh).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom