WARNING BLEACHER REPORT ARTICLE... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WARNING BLEACHER REPORT ARTICLE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Brown's D did not turn the ball over at UCONN.

We get better at that and the defense will do more to help us win even if the stats are a bit worse.

That would be big. I read an article that influenced my thinking about this. It made the case that causing turnovers has a significant luck factor involved. Even so, perhaps we're due for a season with the D turning the ball over more.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Brown's D did not turn the ball over at UCONN.

We get better at that and the defense will do more to help us win even if the stats are a bit worse.

They were also horrendous in the red zone.

I actually liked Don Brown and I don't think him leaving is a good thing, but i'm glad we have someone like Hank Hughes to take over. P is also an experienced defensive coordinator and they have publicly claimed that they will stay aggressive, we'll see..

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To be perfectly clear... I meant to say if we got to 5 or 6 wins with enough games left with a possibility of 7-8 wins, that's when I think a some 'Yarders would start rooting for UConn to lose out. Hypothetically speaking, let's say it goes like -

Towson - W
Maryland - L
Michigan - L
@Buffalo - W
USF - W
@Cincy - L
@UCF - L
UL -L
@SMU - W

That's 4 wins out of 9 games. Probably a reasonable projection given how last season went, maybe switch UCF or Maryland for a fifth win, or one of the other games for a WTF fifth win. At this point we have @Temple, Rutgers and Memphis to close out the season; Memphis should be a win barring a total late season collapse (not impossible if the mood in the locker room is bad at the end of a dismal season). So, if we have 4 or 5 wins at that point, you would project the Temple and RU games would basically be the team playing to keep PP's job. And that's when we'll find out which fans want UConn to tank for rebuilding with a new HC.

Actually, in drawing that up, I kind of realized the two barometer games for the program in the first half of next season could very well be Maryland and USF. Win both and we're likely 4-1 heading into Cincinnatti. Lose both and we're 2-3 with only one I-A level win - against a MAC team. So maybe the #FirePasqualoni bandwagon can get in on the action early by rooting for... Randy Edsall.
This is what I was thinking too in regards to what games we'd have won leading up to being 6-6. You look at that list of wins and if you throw in beating Temple and Memphis then it's an uninspiring win amount. I can see some on the 'Yard not wanting a 6th win. Maybe not saying it outloud but who knows.

I think the style of play will be a big part as well. If Weist is given his freedom and we improve offensively, ie not running up the middle every first down, we should ve better than 6-6. If the offense shows improvement and we go into Memphis game needing a win to get to 6 wins, I'd be more apt to accept PP staying another year.

It comes down to who we beat and how much we improve offensively.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I see your username and think you're a UCF fan...every single time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is what I was thinking too in regards to what games we'd have won leading up to being 6-6. You look at that list of wins and if you throw in beating Temple and Memphis then it's an uninspiring win amount. I can see some on the 'Yard not wanting a 6th win. Maybe not saying it outloud but who knows.

I think the style of play will be a big part as well. If Weist is given his freedom and we improve offensively, ie not running up the middle every first down, we should ve better than 6-6. If the offense shows improvement and we go into Memphis game needing a win to get to 6 wins, I'd be more apt to accept PP staying another year.

It comes down to who we beat and how much we improve offensively.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's 25% style and 75% roster composition. If they win six with P recruits contributing at a bunch of positions you can see the light at end of tunnel.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I think it's 25% style and 75% roster composition. If they win six with P recruits contributing at a bunch of positions you can see the light at end of tunnel.

I'm not sure where P recruits will make big inroads on the offense this year other than Whitmer (which some people won't consider a P recruit). The OL is pretty much all set with last year's starters, none of which is P's, same on WR and RB. I guess Clax at FB? Not exactly the highest impact position and then McQuillan at TE but I can't remember if he's P's guy.

On the defensive side, maybe Norris and Myers on the DL. Donohue (who was arguably a Brown guy) / Stewart at LB and maybe J Williams at CB? Not sure if you really count Ashiru as P's guy either.

Of course, all of this is moot if Cochrane, Lagow or Boyle end up winning the QB competition since that position comes with so much recognition and we do seem to be very deep there with P guys.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where P recruits will make big inroads on the offense this year other than Whitmer (which some people won't consider a P recruit). The OL is pretty much all set with last year's starters, none of which is P's, same on WR and RB. I guess Clax at FB? Not exactly the highest impact position and then McQuillan at TE but I can't remember if he's P's guy.

On the defensive side, maybe Norris and Myers on the DL. Donohue (who was arguably a Brown guy) / Stewart at LB and maybe J Williams at CB? Not sure if you really count Ashiru as P's guy either.

Of course, all of this is moot if Cochrane, Lagow or Boyle end up winning the QB competition since that position comes with so much recognition and we do seem to be very deep there with P guys.

Jefferson Ashiru, Xavier Hemingway and Julian Campenni are all PP recruits. They were not previously committed to RE.

Whitmer transferred to UConn in the early spring of 2012 so he is PP as well.

Reaction Score
Win AAC conference and get automatic bid to BCS Bowl
Win Bowl Game (BCS or otherwise)
Win home games
Show MUCH improvement on offense
Keep defense steady / comparable to last year

These are my pre-printed report card subjects; the cumulative grades I give at end of season will determine my feelings of the season and whether PP should stay or go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I don't pretend I can predict players I've never seen. My point is if they go 6-6 and have freshman who look like they have high potential all over the field that needs to be considered.

Reaction Score
If the offense shows improvement and we go into Memphis game needing a win to get to 6 wins, I'd be more apt to accept PP staying another year.

If the atmosphere at the Rent for the Memphis game is anything close to the crappy one for Cincinnati last year, even before kickoff, keeping P another year . . . .can't see it. Schools fire bowl-bound coaches all the time.

Reaction Score

Shakim Phillips is also a P recruit who could have a big impact this year. I'm personally hoping that Marriner is good enough to make an impact as a true frosh like Todman and of course the great Terry Caulley did. Marriner has the size and speed to contribute right away, he needs to show that he can pass protect.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't pretend I can predict players I've never seen. My point is if they go 6-6 and have freshman who look like they have high potential all over the field that needs to be considered.

I forgot one other name and your statement reminded me. Adams. Last year I was excited seeing him on the field thinking he was a freshman who would be a real player for us for several years to come. Only problem is I can't think of a single other person from his class who made a similar contribution.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'd LOVE 8 wins this year, especially if it meant knocking off a few of the "Power 5" schools coming to the Rent. Although, I would prefer a 8-5 with a good/competitive bowl game loss against a Power 5 than getting to a crappy bowl at 7-5 against a C-USA/Sun Belt type.

Reaction Score
If the atmosphere at the Rent for the Memphis game is anything close to the crappy one for Cincinnati last year, even before kickoff, keeping P another year . . . .can't see it. Schools fire bowl-bound coaches all the time.

I was so pumped on that game coming off the LVille game and was pretty much instantly crushed seeing coming in at 3:20 and seeing a half full student section. The weather did us no favors being about 35 degrees and sleeting/raining/snowing but fans had to show up given we just beat a top 20 team and there was a bowl on the line.

Reaction Score
8-5 sure... but going 0-5 against Michigan, Rutgers, Louisville, Maryland and cincy will not get the fans excited

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was so pumped on that game coming off the LVille game and was pretty much instantly crushed seeing coming in at 3:20 and seeing a half full student section. The weather did us no favors being about 35 degrees and sleeting/raining/snowing but fans had to show up given we just beat a top 20 team and there was a bowl on the line.

Are you trying to blame the fans for that turd of a game?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Saban, Miles, Peterson, Stoops......I may be missing a couple, but not many more. Shaw has done a tremendous job at Stanford and we'll see how the new Oregon coach does, but very few turn out consistent 9 win seasons.

Bo Pelini has won at least 9 games in every season as head coach of Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom