WARNING BLEACHER REPORT ARTICLE... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WARNING BLEACHER REPORT ARTICLE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn is invited to a bowl there is a 1% chance they fire the coach. It would have to be because of a scandal - 6 wins and a bowl trip he's not getting canned for the on the field results.

Reaction Score
An 8-5 season is easier said than done. While maybe we might have the talent to do it, the trend from the past two seasons says that something is off with how the team is being prepared and how they execute on the field. The talent is not maximized and the scheme and game planning are change resistant dogma.

This is not just a talent thing, .i.e. two years ago uconn had one of the most experienced OL in the big east and they performed horrible executing the staff's complex blocking schemes. Last year they were even worse, and were horrible at generating a push in the running game , picking up the blitz or adjusting to defensive line movement. The staffs strategy was to consistently to go 3 and out and lose the field positioning battle til turnovers would ultimately doom them.

What was maddening was GDL/PP, insistence to run lyle up the middle of the defense the first two downs, the unwillingness to make rb substitutions, and the fact that the scheme didn't starting targeting Ryan Griffin ( their best receiver and the only one to catch multiple touch downs) consistently til mid-season. Throw in the lack of adjustments in the second half, or better yet the staff's inability to counter act other teams adjustments it seems that the team is climbing an uphill battle.

So if you expect them to win 8 or more games it would take a few things that have not been happening the past few years.

(1) the first thing that PP and his staff would have to do is stop shooting themselves in the foot. Meaning, better coaching from the staff, specifically, game planning and preparation (.i.e. the staff was working on stopping the run against Western Michigan, and shutting down the offense for the second half of the temple game), Game day coaching and things like clock management must improve, use of timeouts and overall strategy most improve. McCombs is a good back that is misused in the middle of the field where he can't break tackles instead of on the edge where he does damage. Also he averages almost 10 yards a catch and is very elusive in space but wasn't targeted enough in the short to medium range passing game in early downs. And lets not forget that McCummings has been the back up running back who works out of the wildcat. usually he comes in after a big completion in order to create a 3rd and long situation.

(2) Eliminate turnovers ( Whitmer needs to stop the turnovers, rbs, returners and receivers have to hold on to the ball, .)

(3) Generate more turnovers (defense must be serviceable and adapt after losing so much talent and experience. )

(3) run the football enough to get first downs and keep the defense honest. ( the lack of physicality with the OL, since GDL and PP have came here is ridiculous.

(4) have improved special teams play ( win the field positioning battle and make the majority of field goal attempts and PATs .)

8-5 doesn't seem as easy when you think about it. PP is not known for adjustments and this talk about sticking to offensive philosophy and play book is scary.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm already on record as saying 7-5 means PP is safe. But I think that Junglehusky is right in the fact that there will be a select group of BYers that might be cheering for a final season loss if we are 5-6. It's sad, but he's not wrong...
To be perfectly clear... I meant to say if we got to 5 or 6 wins with enough games left with a possibility of 7-8 wins, that's when I think a some 'Yarders would start rooting for UConn to lose out. Hypothetically speaking, let's say it goes like -

Towson - W
Maryland - L
Michigan - L
@Buffalo - W
USF - W
@Cincy - L
@UCF - L
UL -L
@SMU - W

That's 4 wins out of 9 games. Probably a reasonable projection given how last season went, maybe switch UCF or Maryland for a fifth win, or one of the other games for a WTF fifth win. At this point we have @Temple, Rutgers and Memphis to close out the season; Memphis should be a win barring a total late season collapse (not impossible if the mood in the locker room is bad at the end of a dismal season). So, if we have 4 or 5 wins at that point, you would project the Temple and RU games would basically be the team playing to keep PP's job. And that's when we'll find out which fans want UConn to tank for rebuilding with a new HC.

Actually, in drawing that up, I kind of realized the two barometer games for the program in the first half of next season could very well be Maryland and USF. Win both and we're likely 4-1 heading into Cincinnatti. Lose both and we're 2-3 with only one I-A level win - against a MAC team. So maybe the #FirePasqualoni bandwagon can get in on the action early by rooting for... Randy Edsall.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If UConn is invited to a bowl there is a 1% chance they fire the coach. It would have to be because of a scandal - 6 wins and a bowl trip he's not getting canned for the on the field results.

I would agree if Warde hired PP....he didn't. And he has already shown his unhappiness by pushing GDL to the side. I didn't think that was possible considering the history of loyalty PP has shown GDL. I think Warde has been very direct about what kind of success has to happen this year. Warde has no obligation to PP and I don't think with 6 wins he keeps his job. 7 would only be 50-50 in my opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would agree if Warde hired PP....he didn't. And he has already shown his unhappiness by pushing GDL to the side. I didn't think that was possible considering the history of loyalty PP has shown GDL. I think Warde has been very direct about what kind of success has to happen this year. Warde has no obligation to PP and I don't think with 6 wins he keeps his job. 7 would only be 50-50 in my opinion.

I'll believe the University of Connecticut fires a head football coach off a bowl bid when I see it happen.

I could be wrong but if they didn't make a change last year against that schedule - why would they make a change when 6-6 means a pretty good improvement?

Reaction Score
Saban, Miles, Peterson, Stoops......I may be missing a couple, but not many more. Shaw has done a tremendous job at Stanford and we'll see how the new Oregon coach does, but very few turn out consistent 9 win seasons.
Exactly. Going from 7-8 win to nine wins. Every year is huge. It's like having a Harley vs having an American chopper.

Reaction Score
If he has more Ws than Ls, PP stays.
If PP beats Michigan, he stays even if sub 500.
In other other circumstances, I can't see how he can or should stay.

He is the wrong guy for the program, but he is our guy. All things being equal, I'd rather have a great season and suffer with him than suffer another abysmal season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'll believe the University of Connecticut fires a head football coach off a bowl bid when I see it happen.

I could be wrong but if they didn't make a change last year against that schedule - why would they make a change when 6-6 means a pretty good improvement?

I think it was tough to make a change after only 2 years. Financially it is tough...and logically it is tough. PP has a strong enough reputation that he deserved the chance to play with a few of the players he recruited. Although, he does have a lot of excuses for his performance this year considering he has 2 new coordinators.

I also think this year is very different than last year. UConn is slowly getting more desperate for football success. 5 years ago, I would agree with you that 6 or 7 wins would be good enough. Things are much more urgent now and I don't think WM will hang on to a mediocre coach that he didn't hire when the future of UConn athletics is at risk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fanbase would be gnashing their teeth though, since we'd have another year of PP and WM.

I hate ignorant and "I'm above it all" posts like this one. With this schedule, the "fan base" would be ecstatic with an 8-5 season, which I'm assuming would include a bowl win. Again, the "fan base" isn't down on PP because of anything personal, they are down on him because he's been a pathetic head coach. 8-5 would be a pretty good job, it would give us hope and a bit of momentum. Momentum being something P has totally squashed with this program. The "fan base" wants to see this team win no matter who is in charge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I support PP because I believe he can get us to 9+ win seasons - it just might take until season 3.

What have you seen to date that leads you to such a belief? I'm serious, I want to know. I am a glass half-full guy (i.e. this year's Sox, last season's MBB) and I can't begin to even hope that P can get us anywhere near that. Help me out.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I hate ignorant and "I'm above it all" posts like this one. With this schedule, the "fan base" would be ecstatic with an 8-5 season, which I'm assuming would include a bowl win. Again, the "fan base" isn't down on PP because of anything personal, they are down on him because he's been a pathetic head coach. 8-5 would be a pretty good job, it would give us hope and a bit of momentum. Momentum being something P has totally squashed with this program. The "fan base" wants to see this team win no matter who is in charge.
Well then, I'll look forward to you and the rest of the yard celebrating an 8 win season.

Reaction Score
Well then, I'll look forward to you and the rest of the yard celebrating an 8 win season.

Did HFD take a sabbatical from the BY or get banned again? Odd he hasn't chimed in on this or any other thread recently.

But honestly, I thought HFD would be the only one not satisfied with 8 wins this year. But there are a few other posters in this thread who would not be satisfied. I wanted P fired after this year as much as anyone. But if he wins 8 games I really don't know how anyone can make a case that he should be fired. Waquoit said it well......people do not dislike P because they hate him.....they dislike him because he's been a terrible football coach the last 2 years. If he wins 8+ a year consistenly they will love him. And all of us who've knocked the guy will happily eat a big plate of crow.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
What have you seen to date that leads you to such a belief? I'm serious, I want to know. I am a glass half-full guy (i.e. this year's Sox, last season's MBB) and I can't begin to even hope that P can get us anywhere near that. Help me out.

The list of coaches who broke through in their 3rd year is pretty long. Things can change quite a bit in one year

However, let's just look at UCONN. In 2006, we went 4-8 and only won 1 game in the BE. The next year, we tied for first in the BE.

I think the offense is going to get much better and our D will be pretty good.

P's got 9+ wins 6/14 years with 3 of them with 10 wins.

With the new conference, I like to see that more like 50/50.

Reaction Score

Many have tried to help you out, you refuse to listen.

Our struggles have been almost entirely on offense and we have a new man in charge of the offense. That is where the hope comes from, and since you are so fond of Randy you should be excited about the return of Hank Hughes to defensive coordinator. P seems to be a coach who gives his coordinators a lot of freedom to do their own thing so two new coordinators could make a huge difference. If you are truly a half full guy as you claim to be the new coordinators should be giving you hope.

Reaction Score

Our struggles have been entirely on offense and we have a new man in charge of the offense. That is where the hope comes from, and since you are so fond of Randy you should be excited about the return of Hank Hughes to defensive coordinator. P seems to be a coach who gives his coordinators a lot of freedom to do their own thing so two new coordinators could make a huge difference. If you are truly a half full guy as you claim to be the new coordinators should be giving you hope.

As usual from you.........lots of condescending nonsense in your post. Maybe it's possible that people just simply disagree with your opinions. Maybe Waquoit was not an Edsall guy. Maybe some guys think Don Brown is a better DC than Hank (who I like). Maybe some people just see that the college game has passed P by.

You are entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean you're right. And it doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you.

pj

Reaction Score
If you're in a bad conference, a la Boise State, you can churn out 9 win seasons. The AAC gives us a reasonable opportunity to be a perennial 9 to 10 win team. It shouldn't be hard to out-invest the other AAC schools.

Reaction Score
If you're in a bad conference, a la Boise State, you can churn out 9 win seasons. The AAC gives us a reasonable opportunity to be a perennial 9 to 10 win team. It shouldn't be hard to out-invest the other AAC schools.

They way people tell it here we are simultaneously too good for the ACC but not good enough to compete in it.

Reaction Score
As usual from you.........lots of condescending nonsense in your post. Maybe it's possible that people just simply disagree with your opinions. Maybe Waquoit was not an Edsall guy. Maybe some guys think Don Brown is a better DC than Hank (who I like). Maybe some people just see that the college game has passed P by.

You are entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean you're right. And it doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you.

There isn't one bit of nonsense in my post. I said the new coordinators give us reason to hope and hope itself is not always right. Hope can be wrong. Maybe the new coordinators don't make a difference and P gets fired, but I hope that doesn't happen.

BTW the person I responded to was asking for Help, I wasn't writing that for you, Jerk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Our struggles have been almost entirely on offense and we have a new man in charge of the offense. That is where the hope comes from, and since you are so fond of Randy you should be excited about the return of Hank Hughes to defensive coordinator. P seems to be a coach who gives his coordinators a lot of freedom to do their own thing so two new coordinators could make a huge difference. If you are truly a half full guy as you claim to be the new coordinators should be giving you hope.

I'm listening alright. Half your point makes no sense. You see a new D coordinator as a positive? Wasn't the guy who left considered the best DC in the history of the program? The best we can expect there is a push. I guess the hope is the new OC is a miracle worker. My issue is that the HC is still the same, he's shown the uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on gameday. I like sd's "3rd year is a charm" theory. There a bit of hope there. But I see no spark from the team under P's leadership, I don't see that changing just because of a new OC. The OC may have lattitude be he isn't in charge. Like I said I hope you guys are right, the ride home is lot better after a win. I'm saving up for the bowl game, just in case.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm listening alright. Half your point makes no sense. You see a new D coordinator as a positive? Wasn't the guy who left considered the best DC in the history of the program? The best we can expect there is a push.

For whatever reason, Brown's D did not turn the ball over at UCONN.

We get better at that and the defense will do more to help us win even if the stats are a bit worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom