Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Is there any truth to the rumors that WM is being held back by Herbst?

Reaction Score
Not that I am aware of. I was mainly pointing out another side of the WM is not doing anything he must be a moron argument.

Reaction Score
Jerry, I'll settle for some announced football opponents. Hearing about Cincinnati becoming some great rival while they're basically saying they want out of the big east is naive. There is no,need to try and spin the big east positively to UCONN fans. No one is buying it and patronizing fans is a sure way to turn them off.

Those that,continue to come will,do so because they're great fans. map because they are looking forward to new rivalries developing with new teams.

I would take that announcement as well. I said before I think it's the most important item that he has real control of.

He isn't selling us, we will be there, he's selling the tweeners. That's not patronizing us, that's trying to find a spec of light in the sewer in which we will reside for the foreseeable future

Reaction Score
Is there any truth to the rumors that WM is being held back by Herbst?
I have heard it. I have no idea if it is true or not. I am inclined to think it is at least a strong possibility. My impression, and it is based on some information but quite honestly not a lot, is that Susan Herbst doesn't rank athletics as a high priority overall. And to the extent that she does consider it, her top priorities for athletics are academic performance and conformance with NCAA rules. Winning titles and Conference affiliation is there somewhere but closer to #10 than #1(well maybe I'm exaggerating there but only to make a point. I doubt she actually has 10 priorities). Her ideal conference for UConn is and continues to be the ACC, though she'd prefer that they get rid of the riff-raff first. I also freely admit that this is my interpretation on some comments I've had with a variety of people, some of whom are knowledgeable about goings on at UConn and some of whom claim to be knowledgeable. Bu tis is the sense I consistently get.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Clearly Delany has told WM not to release the 2014 schedule until the exit fee issue is ironed out in the next few months.
Doubtful. The lawsuit could potentially be dragged out until then. It's not like the WVU lawsuit that was time sensitive regarding not sticking around the requisite 27 months. MD is leaving no matter what it pays or when it pays it. I'm sure the ACC is willing to prolong the suit as well.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Clearly Delany has told WM not to release the 2014 schedule until the exit fee issue is ironed out in the next few months.
But god I hope you are right that Delany told him to hold back till our invite is finalized.

Reaction Score
I have heard it. I have no idea if it is true or not. I am inclined to think it is at least a strong possibility. My impression, and it is based on some information but quite honestly not a lot, is that Susan Herbst doesn't rank athletics as a high priority overall. And to the extent that she does consider it, her top priorities for athletics are academic performance and conformance with NCAA rules. Winning titles and Conference affiliation is there somewhere but closer to #10 than #1(well maybe I'm exaggerating there but only to make a point. I doubt she actually has 10 priorities). Her ideal conference for UConn is and continues to be the ACC, though she'd prefer that they get rid of the riff-raff first. I also freely admit that this is my interpretation on some comments I've had with a variety of people, some of whom are knowledgeable about goings on at UConn and some of whom claim to be knowledgeable. Bu tis is the sense I consistently get.
I have heard the opposite from an academic director at uconn. I was told that SH knows the value of big time athletics and is confident in WM's abilities to get UConn back to a conference that would provide the financial backing necessary.

Reaction Score
I have heard the opposite from an academic director at uconn. I was told that SH knows the value of big time athletics and is confident in WM's abilities to get UConn back to a conference that would provide the financial backing necessary.

Other than him lobbying and selling the merits of UConn athletics, conference affiliation is out of his control so how he will "get UConn back to a conference..." is beyond me. That job falls squarely on SH and the BOT shoulders. That just seems like an odd thing for someone in the know to say, unless they really...don't know!?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If SH wants UConn to grow research/endowment/overall/etc... Then it doesn't take a PhD to realize that being in an ACC or B1G puts us in a whole other financial stratosphere. Athletics are important for her to achieve her broader goals.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If SH wants UConn to grow research/endowment/overall/etc... Then it doesn't take a PhD to realize that being in an ACC or B1G puts us in a whole other financial stratosphere. Athletics are important for her to achieve her broader goals.
Catch 22. An invite helps grow academics/endowments/overall/etc., but organic growth would put UConn on par with current Big Ten memebers and make UConn that much more attractive for an invite.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I guess I think all those approaches are important. But letting the chips fall where they may regarding Athletics (and our effective demotion from a "have" to a "have not") will cost the school much more than just the numbers tossed around in the TV deals. It will directly impact donations and endowment efforts. I have to believe SH is aware of this enough to make Athletics, and positioning for ACC or B1G, a top priority.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I guess I think all those approaches are important. But letting the chips fall where they may regarding Athletics (and our effective demotion from a "have" to a "have not") will cost the school much more than just the numbers tossed around in the TV deals. It will directly impact donations and endowment efforts. I have to believe SH is aware of this enough to make Athletics, and positioning for ACC or B1G, a top priority.
Hopefully that is the case. She is an SEC girl. She know how the Athletics game is played.

Reaction Score
Other than him lobbying and selling the merits of UConn athletics, conference affiliation is out of his control so how he will "get UConn back to a conference..." is beyond me. That job falls squarely on SH and the BOT shoulders. That just seems like an odd thing for someone in the know to say, unless they really...don't know!?

He needs to lobby and sell the merits of UConn athletics like Oliver Luck does for WVU and Jurich does for Louisville. Is he capable of doing that? Not seeing it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom