Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes | The Boneyard

Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So after these gems 2 weeks ago:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ot-ending-uconn-cuse-head-for-different-paths

"This feels right, doesn't it?" Manuel said to me as we slowly strolled across the court of the XL Center, the arena mostly empty just 30 minutes after the game ended. He thinks UConn in the Big East is probably going to be what the school's situation is and knows it's going to take a while for that reality to settle. But UConn could become an East Coast Gonzaga, in a best-case scenario. The fans still are uneased by this, evidenced in a dip in attendance this season that those around UConn feel might not be strictly tied to the 2013 postseason ban.
"I don't know if they're fully on board yet," Manuel said of the fans. "As we go through the cycles of it happening and we evolve ... I think they'll continue to support us, wherever we are."

Now granted, most of that is the author putting words in his mouth, but he does seem rather resigned that the NNNNNBE will be our home, and he seems pretty comfortable with that idea.

Then today I read the new Andy Katz article on ESPN, and find out that apparently UConn-Cincinnati is the big rivalry we can look forward to for years to come.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...future-big-east-conference-college-basketball

"I think it already is (a rivalry)'' said UConn athletic director Warde Manuel.

"I'm looking forward to the years competing against them,'' said Manuel. "We haven't played any of those other schools on a regular basis like Cincinnati. I like the feel of what we saw (Thursday night). We are in a similar position moving forward. And for the strength of the league, until the others can come up and develop a rivalry, this is the one. There is a lot of respect for both sides, and games like this solidify the rivalry.''

Warde, stop telling me why I should be excited for this awful monstrosity of a conference. Either get us the hell out or just be quiet about the whole thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is this the start of less adverse press from ESPN since we are now their (incredibly inexpensive) property?

pj

Reaction Score
Is this the start of less adverse press from ESPN since we are now their (incredibly inexpensive) property?

Yes, but if they're playing up the NBE rather than UConn, it won't help us. If their publicity is how other NBE schools are on our level and the rivalries are appropriate, it hurts us.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Cincinnati sends the ACC Christmas cards and DVDs. I wonder if Warde knows that or if soon he will be touting our rivalry against UMass our Tulsa?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I am looking forward to the UConn-Cincy game this weekend. And the UConn-Memphis games next year. Manuel so much as said there is no juice for games against the others. So what again was so wrong in saying that UConn-Cincy is going to be a headline for the conference?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I am looking forward to the UConn-Cincy game this weekend. And the UConn-Memphis games next year. Manuel so much as said there is no juice for games against the others. So what again was so wrong in saying that UConn-Cincy is going to be a headline for the conference?
The problem is it is the truth. And nobody likes that. Everyone just pray there is movement. Mass chaos is our only ally at this point.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Acquiescing to being in the conference is the problem (mho).

Reaction Score
I liked Cronin's comments better. He all but said he hopes we aren't linked for to long. Just say nothing. If a rivalry is going to develop it doesn't need Warde's comments from the peanut gallery.

Reaction Score
OK, so it's the headline matchup as of right now. Fine. Everyone can see that. But there's no reason to buddy up to Cincy, or talk about them as if they're on our level, or talk about how much respect there is between the programs.

UConn and Cincy are basically playing a game of musical chairs waiting for a spot in another conference to pop up, the difference is it seems like Cincy is holding a knife to help them get that seat, and Warde's holding a Krispy Kreme.

For comparison's sake here's a quote from Cincy coach Mick Cronin, in the same article: "There's no doubt we're linked, but where it's going to be at going forward I don't know."

Reaction Score

What's wrong is that he said this will be a rivalry for years to come. The OP doesn't want to hear it and I don't blame him. Cincy is begging for ACC admittance and Warde is touting the years of a great rivalry ahead between UConn and Cincy in the NBE. It just feels like he's out of touch with what is going on. Further, the fanbase wants to be happy, we don't want him killing our hopes of moving to another conference every time he speaks. Hope is what will keep this program alive through tough times.

I hope that the NBE is wildly successful and that a perfect storm is created in which the league does very well OOC in both football and basketball and winds up being a great league that we can lead into the future. However, until that perfect storm happens, I am going to assume we need to get the hell out of this conference. I want to feel like Warde feels my urgency. Time and again I feel like he doesn't feel it at all. Something tells me that a bi-weekly pay check in the neighborhood of $19,000 and no personal ties to the university make him feel quite content where UConn stands at the moment. Give me someone who has National Flag Blue running through his veins as AD at a time like this.

Reaction Score
What's wrong is that he said this will be a rivalry for years to come. The OP doesn't want to hear it and I don't blame him. Cincy is begging for ACC admittance and Warde is touting the years of a great rivalry ahead between UConn and Cincy in the NBE. It just feels like he's out of touch with what is going on. Further, the fanbase wants to be happy, we don't want him killing our hopes of moving to another conference every time he speaks. Hope is what will keep this program alive through tough times.

I hope that the NBE is wildly successful and that a perfect storm is created in which the league does very well OOC in both football and basketball and winds up being a great league that we can lead into the future. However, until that perfect storm happens, I am going to assume we need to get the hell out of this conference. I want to feel like Warde feels my urgency. Time and again I feel like he doesn't feel it at all. Something tells me that a bi-weekly pay check in the neighborhood of $19,000 and no personal ties to the university make him feel quite content where UConn stands at the moment. Give me someone who has National Flag Blue running through his veins as AD at a time like this.

UConn will be a Cincy rival for years to come.

That doesn't mean UConn isn't going to the ACC.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
UConn will be a Cincy rival for years to come.

That doesn't mean UConn isn't going to the ACC.

Up, not to pick a fight because I respect you as a contributor, but if we go to the ACC they wont' be our rival there either, it will be BC, Cuse, Pitt... Under either reading the quote is brain-dead, Cinci is not now, nor has ever been, our rival.

Reaction Score
bunch of babies.

I get it ... we are in a crappy conference situation. Manual (who really hasn't been impressive thus far) says what is the reality. And ... you all want him to pronounce that we are working hard to get out AND have a good shot at the ACC/B1G. Part of the reason we have such a crappy TV deal is UConn (and Cincy) etc are publicly pushing to get beyond this conference ... and any bidder has no clue who they are going to get as content.

Time to the next conference earthquake? I dunno. I am just not going to wait around because it might not be next week. However, we are seriously endangering our ability to build a fanbase further with all the negative stuff. (Conference Realignment as one component). Manual has to start focusing on getting some of this with traction.

Reaction Score

From a conversation with a UConn BoT member recently, it is my distinct impression that Manuel is pretty much following the line being dictated from above and that he is just as frustrated as we are. The difference is that he can leave at some point. And likely he will. This isn't what he signed up for either. If he wanted to oversee a mid-major program, he could have stayed at Buffalo. There is a fair amount of frustration on the Board of Trustees, too, over the situation we find ourselves in. But on the other hand, there is a lot of support for the work being done on the academic side, and on building the endowment, all that stuff. Athletics, not so much.

Reaction Score
Up, not to pick a fight because I respect you as a contributor, but if we go to the ACC they wont' be our rival there either, it will be BC, Cuse, Pitt... Under either reading the quote is brain-dead, Cinci is not now, nor has ever been, our rival.

The perspective on UConn in this weak league is going to depend on teams like Memphis and Temple and even Cincy ramping up into teams that are better than what those in the ACC and CYO7. So, UConn has to be better than Louisville, Memphis has to be better than Pitt, Temple has to be better than Villanova. Otherwise, UConn's reputation will dwindle as realignment shakes out in the next 3 or 4 years.

Reaction Score
From a conversation with a UConn BoT member recently, it is my distinct impression that Manuel is pretty much following the line being dictated from above and that he is just as frustrated as we are. The difference is that he can leave at some point. And likely he will. This isn't what he signed up for either. If he wanted to oversee a mid-major program, he could have stayed at Buffalo. There is a fair amount of frustration on the Board of Trustees, too, over the situation we find ourselves in. But on the other hand, there is a lot of support for the work being done on the academic side, and on building the endowment, all that stuff. Athletics, not so much.

He can't leave until the situation stabilizes. And really, if it was BOT members feeding you lines about Ollie's prowess and the need to ice Calhoun, then they were wrong too. Which doesn't surprise me since BOTs specialize in making wrong decisions time and again.

Reaction Score
Actually, though, Manuels comments were really just a follow on to the ones made by the broadcast crew at the Cincy game. Upstater, we should put the faculty in charge of the university. I'm sure that would work well...

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
The perspective on UConn in this weak league is going to depend on teams like Memphis and Temple and even Cincy ramping up into teams that are better than what those in the ACC and CYO7. So, UConn has to be better than Louisville, Memphis has to be better than Pitt, Temple has to be better than Villanova. Otherwise, UConn's reputation will dwindle as realignment shakes out in the next 3 or 4 years.

Again, I can't disagree anymore. UConn was better than L'Ville - since they joined the Big East we won 2 National Titles, beat them in the Big East final, had a head-to-head winning record in football - so that apparently doesnt matter.

Regarding the other teams in our league, they are not partners, they are competitors. You will never hear Texas speak up Iowa State, FSU talk up Wake, or, for a better example, Boise talk up its league. It simply doesn't matter, at this point, what the 'strength' is. Quite frankly I'd rather have it be a storm that we go through undefeated then to help build competitors in Houston, Dallas and Memphis. For Warde not to recognize that we are in a battle with Cinci in expansion is thick-headed.

And to address Pudge's comment: if Warde was concerned with the contract then the solidarity statements should have come before the negotiation, not after it. We got a -sandwich from Aresco and no amount of back-peddling at this point will get us one extra dollar so , if we are essentially paying for our free-agent status then let's at least act like free agents.

Reaction Score
Again, I can't disagree anymore. UConn was better than L'Ville - since they joined the Big East we won 2 National Titles, beat them in the Big East final, had a head-to-head winning record in football - so that apparently doesnt matter.

Regarding the other teams in our league, they are not partners, they are competitors. You will never hear Texas speak up Iowa State, FSU talk up Wake, or, for a better example, Boise talk up its league. It simply doesn't matter, at this point, what the 'strength' is. Quite frankly I'd rather have it be a storm that we go through undefeated then to help build competitors in Houston, Dallas and Memphis. For Warde not to recognize that we are in a battle with Cinci in expansion is thick-headed.

And to address Pudge's comment: if Warde was concerned with the contract then the solidarity statements should have come before the negotiation, not after it. We got a -sandwich from Aresco and no amount of back-peddling at this point will get us one extra dollar so , if we are essentially paying for our free-agent status then let's at least act like free agents.

Nailed it!

Reaction Score

Warde has to sell tickets for as long as we're in the NNNNBE or our program won't be where we need it to be when more CR occurs. How the duck* do you sell tickets for games if you're bashing the level of opposition publicly?

It's great that you'd all feel better if he was trashing the NNBE, but forgive me for worrying more about preserving the program until something happens then wanting to feel good that someone recognizes your anger.

Reaction Score
Warde has to sell tickets for as long as we're in the NNNNBE or our program won't be where we need it to be when more CR occurs. How the duck* do you sell tickets for games if you're bashing the level of opposition publicly?

It's great that you'd all feel better if he was trashing the NNBE, but forgive me for worrying more about preserving the program until something happens then wanting to feel good that someone recognizes your anger.

Did I say any of that? I want him to act like he has an clue. Touting years of matchups with Cincy ahead just as it is breaking that Cincy is baking oatmeal cookies for ACC presidents, touting their billion $ endowment and another billion raised makes him look like a fool. Mick Cronin wouldn't even go along with Warde's sentiments after the game. I don't want him trashing the conference I just don't want him looking forward to years of NBE matchups in the media. We are completely dropping out of the expansion discussion. Cincy is not allowing that to happen.

Reaction Score

Cincy and UConn do not get added without the other.

Reaction Score
Actually, though, Manuels comments were really just a follow on to the ones made by the broadcast crew at the Cincy game. Upstater, we should put the faculty in charge of the university. I'm sure that would work well...

The universities that do this are the strongest out there. The Ivyies.

When the BOT gets involved at Penn State or Texas A&M or Virginia or practically anywhere else, it's amateur comedy hour. It's like me walking into a surgery and telling the surgeon what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom