Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde unleashes some more rage-inducing quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Warde has to sell tickets for as long as we're in the NNNNBE or our program won't be where we need it to be when more CR occurs. How the duck* do you sell tickets for games if you're bashing the level of opposition publicly?

It's great that you'd all feel better if he was trashing the NNBE, but forgive me for worrying more about preserving the program until something happens then wanting to feel good that someone recognizes your anger.

BL, I agree he has to sell tickets, and should be trying to do everything he can to accomplish that but he is treating the fanbase like we are stupid. He is taking the easy path by trying to dictate rivalries to the fanbase that they don't want (see XL turnout against Cinci as proof) rather than doing his job and scheduling attractive OOC competition in MBB and football. That would sell tickets too, but it seems like he is using the fans to cover for his failures and it is getting old.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The universities that do this are the strongest out there. The Ivyies.

When the BOT gets involved at Penn State or Texas A&M or Virginia or practically anywhere else, it's amateur comedy hour. It's like me walking into a surgery and telling the surgeon what to do.
And here I thought you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Cincy and UConn do not get added without the other.

Why? I can see a scenario where Cinci goes to the Big12 without us. And I can see a scenario where we got to the ACC w/o Cinci. And even if your assertion is true, that doesn't mean you stop positioning to be ahead of the other (because there are also other teams out there chasing both of us). They owe nothing to us, we owe nothing to them.

Reaction Score
Why? I can see a scenario where Cinci goes to the Big12 without us. And I can see a scenario where we got to the ACC w/o Cinci. And even if your assertion is true, that doesn't mean you stop positioning to be ahead of the other (because there are also other teams out there chasing both of us). They owe nothing to us, we owe nothing to them.

Texas is not splitting pie with Cincy. No how, no way. It's Pac-12 for them if it comes to that.

Reaction Score
And here I thought you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Well, it's true. The Virginia BOT chairman is head of a landscaping company that her immigrant father passed down to her. Good for her, she has great political connections. Then she tried to made curricular policy and the President resigned.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UConn continues to lobby other leagues behind the scenes per McMurphy (he knows his !). Everyone knows what's at stake here. Until it actually happens got to move on and carry on. If we do ever play in the NBE just need to own it and dominate.

Reaction Score
Warde has to sell tickets for as long as we're in the NNNNBE or our program won't be where we need it to be when more CR occurs. How the duck* do you sell tickets for games if you're bashing the level of opposition publicly?

It's great that you'd all feel better if he was trashing the NNBE, but forgive me for worrying more about preserving the program until something happens then wanting to feel good that someone recognizes your anger.

Like someone else said, you want to sell tickets? Be straight with your fans. Send out an email to your ticket holders acknowledging that you understand that our product has suffered due to conference realignment and that fans are frustrated with the fact that we are one of only there schools to go from a, BCS to non BCS conference at the moment. Tell them that we will schedule aggressively in the,non conference portion of the schedule to make up for it. Don't go on record with nonsensical shot about developing a rivalry with Cincinnati, when in the same article they're basically saying "we hope not"

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Noeynox, right on. The problem is your scenario requires that Warde put some responsibility on himself for what is happening/not happening and he doesn't want to do that. He is setting up the fans as the fall-guy for when he goes to interview and when he splits. Anyone who has ever worked in management at a large company will recognize exactly what Warde is doing and it is despicable.

Reaction Score
This board has fallen down the rabbit hole. Some of these posts are too funny to be real, and too real to be funny.

Reaction Score
Warde will not be working for a corporate communications firm anytime in the future.

Reaction Score
Again, I can't disagree anymore. UConn was better than L'Ville - since they joined the Big East we won 2 National Titles, beat them in the Big East final, had a head-to-head winning record in football - so that apparently doesnt matter.

Regarding the other teams in our league, they are not partners, they are competitors. You will never hear Texas speak up Iowa State, FSU talk up Wake, or, for a better example, Boise talk up its league. It simply doesn't matter, at this point, what the 'strength' is. Quite frankly I'd rather have it be a storm that we go through undefeated then to help build competitors in Houston, Dallas and Memphis. For Warde not to recognize that we are in a battle with Cinci in expansion is thick-headed.

And to address Pudge's comment: if Warde was concerned with the contract then the solidarity statements should have come before the negotiation, not after it. We got a -sandwich from Aresco and no amount of back-peddling at this point will get us one extra dollar so , if we are essentially paying for our free-agent status then let's at least act like free agents.

Ding!

Honestly. Some people are victims of all of the negative press we have unfairly gotten.

Warde is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here and telling us that it's not really all that bad.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I guess if you were Manual you could be thinking keep your friends close, and your enemies closer... but I just don't think he has that in him. I think that Uconn is trying to promote themselves as a beacon of education. They are trying to position themselves academically and that is all well and good. The problem is Uconn became popular because of basketball. Uconn grew because kids could identify with them through sports. Prior to this Uconn was not a desired locale to go there and I am a huge fan and supporter. I can admit the past... I think Manual is blind to it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again, I can't disagree anymore. UConn was better than L'Ville - since they joined the Big East we won 2 National Titles, beat them in the Big East final, had a head-to-head winning record in football - so that apparently doesnt matter.

Regarding the other teams in our league, they are not partners, they are competitors. You will never hear Texas speak up Iowa State, FSU talk up Wake, or, for a better example, Boise talk up its league. It simply doesn't matter, at this point, what the 'strength' is. Quite frankly I'd rather have it be a storm that we go through undefeated then to help build competitors in Houston, Dallas and Memphis. For Warde not to recognize that we are in a battle with Cinci in expansion is thick-headed.

And to address Pudge's comment: if Warde was concerned with the contract then the solidarity statements should have come before the negotiation, not after it. We got a -sandwich from Aresco and no amount of back-peddling at this point will get us one extra dollar so , if we are essentially paying for our free-agent status then let's at least act like free agents.
Damn straight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

He never said that Biz.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Warde has to sell tickets. But he is spinning something to people that are impervious to spin at the moment.

No matter how you pitch it, playing Tulane and Memphis is crap sandwich. Of course Pasqualoni could probably find a way to lose to both of those schools.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Nelson, nobody is asking for negatively, we're asking for reality. Most of us just don't want to be told that we should be grateful to play SMU, Memphis & Cinci.

Reaction Score
Like someone else said, you want to sell tickets? Be straight with your fans. Send out an email to your ticket holders acknowledging that you understand that our product has suffered due to conference realignment and that fans are frustrated with the fact that we are one of only there schools to go from a, BCS to non BCS conference at the moment. Tell them that we will schedule aggressively in the,non conference portion of the schedule to make up for it. Don't go on record with nonsensical shot about developing a rivalry with Cincinnati, when in the same article they're basically saying "we hope not"

Being straight is what they already were. You want UConn to succeed. There are two ways it gets done: 1. WIN. 2. Buy tickets.

What could be simpler than that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, Warde has to sell tickets. But he is spinning something to people that are impervious to spin at the moment.

No matter how you pitch it, playing Tulane and Memphis is crap sandwich. Of course Pasqualoni could probably find a way to lose to both of those schools.

And what did he say? He said we have no history with those teams. We have a history with Cincy. He actually downgraded the possibility of having great games with those teams (Though personally I'd like to see UConn play Memphis in bball).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How about Warde just announces a 2014 OOC schedule? Can we all agree that he can start there, considering most schools have theirs in place and all we have are "agreements that are finalized yet".

Reaction Score
Damn UConn fans are mad. Who should we blame? Lets all blame Fishy for leaving Scout (rivals for that matter as well) and starting this board. Why if he was still on the Scout or Rivals bandwagon maybe UConn would be playing in the original BE with the U (not sure what year he left rivals) or at least with the revamped UL, SyraPitt BE (ie the scout days). Instead its his frincken karma on switching boards that has led to UConn's demise in conferences.

only thing left is to close up this shop, reopen on a Google affiliated board and B1G here we come.

Reaction Score
After just reading history of the by on the bb board I wish I could delete the prior thread. Who knew, Oh well.

Reaction Score
After just reading history of the by on the bb board I wish I could delete the prior thread. Who knew, Oh well.
I thought you wrote that BECAUSE of the thread on the BY history.

Reaction Score
Nelson, nobody is asking for negatively, we're asking for reality. Most of us just don't want to be told that we should be grateful to play SMU, Memphis & Cinci.

Please point to one article where he tells us to be grateful for our situation, just one!

He is being real about it, he's trying to tell you to prepare for the rough road ahead but all most here can see is their own warped interpretation of what he says. He doesn't announce any of our moves so you think he's not doing anything, he doesn't know or understand anything about where we are or where we're headed because to rumor mill has so much better information than he is privy to that you all must know better. It is crap, we all know that, and I'm sure they know it too, I'm also sure they know a hell of a lot more about what's going on than any of us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think posters just need to deal with the reality that this is our league, and it will be for a while. We can buy all the lottery tickets we want, but most likely, no one is coming to rescue us. Either people need to recalibrate their expectations for UConn athletics, or there are going to be some unhappy UConn fans.

We are a mid-major program in a mid-major league. Look what happened to Houston. That may be the future of UConn's athletic program. We need to focus on the hoops programs and figure out some way to make the football program modestly competitive with almost no TV revenue. I don't see any way for the football program to be anything but a catastrophic disaster for the entire athletic program, but I am 110% positive that Warde trashing Memphis and SMU in interviews is not going to help, as cathartic as that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom