Warde Tonight WICC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Warde Tonight WICC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did not talk about UCONN and realignment at all. What's up with that? I really hope he got something working in the background with B1G or we are screwed.
If we were screwed, do you think Herbst would be going nuts with acadmics, research, the school, and Manuel going nuts about trying to push the athletic department further?

Reaction Score
If we were screwed, do you think Herbst would be going nuts with acadmics, research, the school, and Manuel going nuts about trying to push the athletic department further?

Probably, it's how they are approaching getting into a better conference. Their strategy is to be too good to ignore.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not that I'm saying we're screwed but I would hope they would be going nuts about academics, research, the faculty. Last I heard UConn is a University!:)

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Exactly. Another disciple of HFD... Everything they are saying and doing points either to a complete disconnect with reality and utter negligence..... Or..... Something in the works that's B1G enough and important enough to take time, patience and silence... Everything Herbst has done and said lately seems to be giving the message: Relax, we've got this.

.... Or maybe I'm naive, and we're looking at life with Tulane

caw

Reaction Score
Exactly. Another disciple of HFD... Everything they are saying and doing points either to a complete disconnect with reality and utter negligence..... Or..... Something in the works that's B1G enough and important enough to take time, patience and silence... Everything Herbst has done and said lately seems to be giving the message: Relax, we've got this.

Idiots, or geniuses are running UConn.

Reaction Score
Need to promote UConn more in Fairfield county. This should have been done ages ago.
Seriously our puny f ing state isn't aware we have a football team ?

Reaction Score
i still find so many things very suspicious. most suspicious is how calm and vague the uconn administration continues to be. one also has to question espn and their continued relentless pursuit to devalue the big east and uconn specifically........i don't know much, but my gut is telling me that when the dust settles we will regularly play ohio state and not duke.

Reaction Score
i still find so many things very suspicious. most suspicious is how calm and vague the uconn administration continues to be. one also has to question espn and their continued relentless pursuit to devalue the big east and uconn specifically........i don't know much, but my gut is telling me that when the dust settles we will regularly play ohio state and not duke.

Or we'll have suffocated in the dust while playing 3-d chess.

Reaction Score

I am his disciple? You serious? Does this board revolve around him in your mind?

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I am his disciple? You serious? Does this board revolve around him in your mind?
Relax. Not intended to be an insult man... It's just that HFD is the most consistent on his scenarios for us to the B1G and you're thoughts seemed to be in line with his. That's it, Chill out.

Reaction Score
Relax. Not intended to be an insult man... It's just that HFD is the most consistent on his scenarios for us to the B1G and you're thoughts seemed to be in line with his. That's it, Chill out.
He is not the only one who brought up aiming for the B1G. Others (notice multiple) have too.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
He is not the only one who brought up aiming for the B1G. Others (notice multiple) have too.
Agreed. He just seems to me to be the most vocal and consistent. That's it. Sorry if "disciple" insulted you. It was unintentional as I agree with and usually enjoy most of your posts.

Reaction Score
Agreed. He just seems to me to be the most vocal and consistent. That's it. Sorry if "disciple" insulted you. It was unintentional as I agree with and usually enjoy most of your posts.
It's all good. I was being somewhat facetious. I figured you may be joking too. Not insulted. Thank you for your kind words.

Reaction Score
That's because some of us are taking the UConn approach and saying very little.;)

Reaction Score
I recognize there wouldn't be enough time in the world to ask him all the questions that need be asked but this one has been burning for me.... who the hell is UConn playing in football OOC in 2014???

Reaction Score
For comparison, here is the Marquette AD on realignment:

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=16611

Key quote:

"It’s being tested. Does it make sense to be associated with football of a second or third tier? Does that make sense? Is there value to being associated with that? We’re asking those questions now and I think dutifully. We owe it to the folks that built Marquette to ask those questions very critically. We don’t have all the answers yet. It isn’t a clear cut decision."

It's so refreshing to hear an AD provide answers to questions that aren't nebulous.

Reaction Score
Key quote:

"It’s being tested. Does it make sense to be associated with football of a second or third tier? Does that make sense? Is there value to being associated with that? We’re asking those questions now and I think dutifully. We owe it to the folks that built Marquette to ask those questions very critically. We don’t have all the answers yet. It isn’t a clear cut decision."

It's so refreshing to hear an AD provide answers to questions that aren't nebulous.

I have to admit, he has a point. I was asking my self the same kinds of questions when Marquette was admitted to the BE for basketball.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to say other basketball-only schools feel the same way?
“Yes to varying degrees. Part of this is just everybody’s uneasy with all these questions that everybody’s got in their own minds. There was something really cool about the Big East. You could rely on it to get six or eight or nine bids in a year.
“It was home. Now that home has been sort of changed, and somebody came and put new furniture in, and boy, do we still fit here is what everyone is sort of thinking about.”

I hate to break this to you Marquette, but you're one of the new pieces of furniture. Sure, you're a decent addition, but a set piece you ain't!! We got you from the vintage furniture store and you filled up that open space in the corner.

It's funny to think these presidents and ADs don't have the institutional memory to realize where BE basketball was in the 1990s. Only Tranghese seems to remember that. The Georgetowns and such that this AD is touting were struggling for a full 10 years. Between 1988-1989 and 2007, they made exactly 1 Elite 8. Just 1. And this was the BEST of the basketball onlies. That's 18 years.

Reaction Score
As far as doing more "Connecticut", i guarantee that if the Mens and Womens basketball team played a OOC game in Nov/Dec at Harbor Yard or Mohegan Sun it will be a sell out. I think thats a great idea just for something new to shake things up. If Duke can set it up where they play "neutral" games every year in the Izod Center or MSG hundreds of miles from campus where 95% of the arena is Duke people, then the UConn athletic dept can schedule a game at another venue in their own state and still make a good amount of $$$ as well. I think thats a hell of a lot better then having the XL Center 50% capacity like it was for the NH game.

The game at harbor yard needs to be against a quality opponent. Not a 40 point blow-out.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Key quote:

Marquette University as a whole, and their athletic program in particular, has different priorities than UConn. They do not have an FBS football pogram and regardless of them stumbling upon Al McGuire, Dwayne Wade, or Doc Rivers, blind-squirrel-style, they aren't necessarily focused on their Athletic footprint. The athletic drink is stirred in Madison, not Milwaukee.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, he has a point. I was asking my self the same kinds of questions when Marquette was admitted to the BE for basketball.

That was one reason why they left CUSA to begin with.

It just goes to show how football really does still drive the bus.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
For comparison, here is the Marquette AD on realignment:

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=16611

The thing that I find extremely interesting is the following quote regarding the addition of Tulane:

On Tulane joining the Big East:
“I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that. There might be well articulated and very deep reasons why you would do it otherwise. But dog-gone-it, I’m not concerned about that. I’m concerned about making sure that Marquette is in a position that it can take advantage of the great investment it’s made in being successful in basketball.”

It sounds like the decision was made by the football schools. And I've already heard that UConn was not part of the vote. So WHO THE HELL VOTED THEM IN?!? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom