Vontae Diggs Tweet | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Vontae Diggs Tweet

C

Chief00

I don't buy any of the "only likes his guys" stuff. Hahn is a Diaco recruit, RE seems to like him plenty. Many people on this board have been critical of his play - still RE plays him. The two deep on D includes, Murphy, Atkins, Garson, Hahn, Terry, Gilmartin, Coyle and a few others where recruitment was started by BD. The whole O line including the two deep at tight end are BD buys (Crozier might predate him). Also the kicker. Without any other evidence, I trust that the guys who deserve to play - are playing.

If the OL and TE’s are BD’s guys and many say it’s our relative best unit - what does that say about the players RE has brought in?
Pindell is the one RE guy who jumps off the page and he is a JUCO guy - so for those who criticize loading up on JUCO’s next season , that’s a reality consideration.

Reaction Score
If the OL and TE’s are BD’s guys and many say it’s our relative best unit - what does that say about the players RE has brought in?
Pindell is the one RE guy who jumps off the page and he is a JUCO guy - so for those who criticize loading up on JUCO’s next season , that’s a reality consideration.

Edsall has one full year of his recruits and two years of you count the class he inherited and added a little too. They are true freshmen. Are you judging HCRE recruits based off one season? That’s something a casual fan would do.

I agree that a coach has to look all over for talent - JUCO, Grad Transfers, Regular Transfers included. And it looks like the staff has been looking at all options.

Of the true freshman getting time, I see a ton of flashes. Some I can already tell are going to be monsters (Travis Jones, Lwal Uguak) with more time in the program.

Reaction Score
Those of us around long enough remember the people who said exactly this. That Edsall would never get to .500 in the Big East. That Edsall would never beat a top 25 team. That Edsall would never share a Big East title. That Edsall could never take us to a BCS bowl game.

Every time we hit these targets that we were told we’d never hit, the goalposts would move. This is where @Palatine and @Waquoit lose a lot of credibility when they knock Edsall.

My fear ...

I think Edsall hasn’t changed. He’s a solid evaluator of talent & a great guy to find unorthodox raw athletes for football in the Northeast. I do think he is good as ever in selecting and development of assistant coaches. The decade since his UConn 1.0 has shown a far different football flavor. This rebuild is going to be painful. This fan base is not eager for the climb back.

Reaction Score
Thank you. That’s all that I aspire to be.

It’s really the most millennial post ever. Kids who aren’t good enough to play at this level have a case of the sadz because the new guy comes in and has “his guys”. Welcome to the real world. I’m sorry your feelings are hurt. You don’t like it? There’s the door. God knows we could use some more open spots to fill with players who can compete at this level.

Reaction Score
My fear ...

I think Edsall hasn’t changed. He’s a solid evaluator of talent & a great guy to find unorthodox raw athletes for football in the Northeast. I do think he is good as ever in selecting and development of assistant coaches. The decade since his UConn 1.0 has shown a far different football flavor. This rebuild is going to be painful. This fan base is not eager for the climb back.

He hasn’t changed. I don’t think he’s the right guy at this juncture but he’s the best option we could afford. The program will live or die based on how he performs. I hope I’m wrong about where I think this program will be in 5 years.

Reaction Score
The Diggs tweet shows what the players really feel. No current player is in a position to criticize the coach --any coach. Not if that player ever wants to see the field. To the players, all that matters is the now. Most coaches feel the same way. Forget last week. Don't look ahead. How are you getting better today? When a coach stops caring about today, you're screwed.

Reaction Score
The Diggs tweet shows what the players really feel. No current player is in a position to criticize the coach --any coach. Not if that player ever wants to see the field. To the players, all that matters is the now. Most coaches feel the same way. Forget last week. Don't look ahead. How are you getting better today? When a coach stops caring about today, you're screwed.

One tweet shows how all the players feel? That’s not a stretch. Not at all.

Are you saying Coch Edsall doesn’t focus on improvement every single day? That’s not a stretch. Not at all.

Reaction Score
Less than 24 hours ago we heard from 2 key 4-year players that said they were excited to stay and continue to build what's been started. There's nothing keeping them here, they're choosing to stay.

Their words tell me more about how the players really feel than what you think the players really feel. Are there discouraged players in that locker room? Of course there are - that's college football.

Reaction Score
Less than 24 hours ago we heard from 2 key 4-year players that said they were excited to stay and continue to build what's been started. There's nothing keeping them here, they're choosing to stay.

Their words tell me more about how the players really feel than what you think the players really feel. Are there discouraged players in that locker room? Of course there are - that's college football.
Current players, duh. Current players, college or pro, in almost any sport, know the coach controls every aspect of their life headed forward, which is why you almost never hear any player criticize a coach. It's suicide. Saying nice things about the guy who controls your destiny is smart. There is no risk. Only upside.

That doesn't mean all players think alike. Some genuinely love the coach especially if they are getting playing time. It you have problems ith the coach, keep quiet, don't make it worse. Regardless, all the players know how the system works.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Diggs tweet shows what the players really feel.
That doesn't mean all players think alike. Some genuine love the coach especially if they are getting playing time. It you have problems ith the coach, keep quiet, don't make it worse. Regardless, all the players know how the system works.
These are entirely different statements. My point was that you can't lump all of the players into what Diggs said, when it's clearly not the case. I think you understand that though based on your response. Enough said.

Reaction Score
Current players, duh. Current players, college or pro, in almost any sport, know the coach controls every aspect of their life headed forward, which is why you almost never hear any player criticize a coach. It's suicide. Saying nice things about the guy who controls your destiny is smart. There is no risk. Only upside.

That doesn't mean all players think alike. Some genuinely love the coach especially if they are getting playing time. It you have problems ith the coach, keep quiet, don't make it worse. Regardless, all the players know how the system works.

Agree. Didn't hear a lot of complaining about Diaco by players, sure there was a lot. Quiet only proves head coach has iron fist on info coming out. Think Crocker is happy about canning the 3-3-5, why don't we hear about it? Think Pindell likes HCRE2.0 dig about his digits, yet all he said was have no problem throwing in the rain.
Let's see how many freshman transfer out and the quality of the 2019 recruiting class and any Juco's signing on. That will tell. Never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
These are entirely different statements. My point was that you can't lump all of the players into what Diggs said, when it's clearly not the case. I think you understand that though based on your response. Enough said.

Oh the twisted webs we weave. All we have here are the words we type on the internet. Chief and Palatine getting stuck in their twisted web of logic.

Reaction Score
Agree. Didn't hear a lot of complaining about Diaco by players, sure there was a lot. Quiet only proves head coach has iron fist on info coming out. Think Crocker is happy about canning the 3-3-5, why don't we hear about it? Think Pindell likes HCRE2.0 dig about his digits, yet all he said was have no problem throwing in the rain.
Let's see how many freshman transfer out and the quality of the 2019 recruiting class and any Juco's signing on. That will tell. Never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.

Why would freshmen recruited by Edsall leave after year one? I anticipate some transfers but it will be by Diaco recruits dropping down a level (or two) to get playing time.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Listen, we get that you're upset that the team is 1–9. That doesn't make your assumptions abut team morale any more accurate.

Reaction Score

You realize those two players are on FULL scholarship and likely won't make it at the next level. Why would they leave and where would they go? They're playing at an FBS level now. Even as grad transfers, what FBS schools are going to take them and play them. Football probably isn't in their futures. Live out the dream for one more season and venture out into the real world. Maybe they get an invite to a pro camp, but they’re not a lock to play on Sundays. Davis is limited in what he brings to the TE position. He's more of a flex TE. Maybe he gets bigger an develops the ability to play inline and block, but he hasn't done that here. Peart has ability but to me he hasn't improved that much in four years and continues to make freshman mistakes.

Being 4-years starters at UConn isn't going to carry much weight anywhere else, just sayin'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This recruiting season MUST be impactful in order for Crocker to survive. my two cents...

Reaction Score
Our Defense is basically a high school all-star team playing against Division I athletes. Of course they stink, but we should judge them by incremental progress instead of a final product at this point. Now, if they are this bad game 6 next season, that would be a different story. They probably won't be good for two years. But they should be serviceable sometime next season.

Reaction Score
And the status quo result is?

......if he stinks who cares, he is gone. If Hahn (or others) stink, they have time to grow from the experience.

Not to mention, the mentality of a QB is not in the same hemisphere as that of a LB or Safety.

Other than that, sure.

C

Chief00

Edsall has one full year of his recruits and two years of you count the class he inherited and added a little too. They are true freshmen. Are you judging HCRE recruits based off one season? That’s something a casual fan would do.

I agree that a coach has to look all over for talent - JUCO, Grad Transfers, Regular Transfers included. And it looks like the staff has been looking at all options.

Of the true freshman getting time, I see a ton of flashes. Some I can already tell are going to be monsters (Travis Jones, Lwal Uguak) with more time in the program.

Why do people say that? There are many players on the rooster from RE’s first recruiting year and there are players from year 2 as well. True, for year one time was short but he signed many guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom