Vontae Diggs Tweet | The Boneyard

Vontae Diggs Tweet

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He's not wrong. That's the danger of saying stupid things like small hands are why we can't throw in the rain and winning is not important. The kids hear it and realize there is zero accountability or consequence from all of the blowout losses. So, the blowout losses continue because why not? The 2018 players aren't as important as the 2022 players.

Reaction Score
Who is not playing that should be playing? If you can't provide names it's a stupid notion. Garrison Burnett liking this post makes no sense at all, he is a young WR and Edsall has been playing his veteran WR's :confused:

Reaction Score
Would love to know who these gems are. The assumption has been that Randy played the freshmen because the upperclassmen were worst. As unbelievable as it may be.

Reaction Score
There’s a shot across the bow aimed right at our Nova DC genius.

Reaction Score
The most frustrating thing about last year was the insistence there weren't enough bodies on the DL to play anything other than a 3 man front. That was literally trying to shoehorn a system. Oh well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The most frustrating thing about last year was the insistence there weren't enough bodies on the DL to play anything other than a 3 man front. That was literally trying to shoehorn a system. Oh well.

He’s had excuses at every point. I really think he’s in over his head this time and that the game has passed him by, but we’ll see

Reaction Score
He’s had excuses at every point. I really think he’s in over his head this time and that the game has passed him by, but we’ll see

There will be no hiding for Edsall next year. That small hands excuse/comment may very well live in infamy. Winning games starts to matter bigtime next season.

Reaction Score
wow, sounds like he's lost the guys in the locker room.

I guess the saying "You can never go back home" is true. This was a mistake. Not sure Randy wants to go through a rebuild at this point in his career. He'll collect a paycheck, but he's not the guy. You should'nt hear something like this from your team.

What ever he's building, these kids are not invested in and that's a shame. HCRE right now is a guy resting on his laurels

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall has to be a stubborn idiot somehow. Bring back the trailers!

Reaction Score
It's never to early to stop going in the wrong direction!

Diggs got it exactly right.

Randy has too thin a skin to accept poor performance now as ANY reflection on him, his decisions or his coaching. The Bxll Shxt it's all on me is 'cause he knows AD has him penned in through 2021. HCRE2.0, how about some better eye discipline by you on winning another game in 2018 season.

HCRE2.0 has to act like winning in 2018 isn't important so he doesn't have to ask himself "did it really have to be this bad?" 'cause he doesn't want to hear his own truthful answer to that question.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
wow, sounds like he's lost the guys in the locker room.

I guess the saying "You can never go back home" is true. This was a mistake. Not sure Randy wants to go through a rebuild at this point in his career. He'll collect a paycheck, but he's not the guy. You should hear something like this from your team.

What ever he's building, these kids are not invested in and that's a shame. HCRE right now is a guy resting on his laurels
I think Randy always thought more of himself than he was entitled to. He was a decent coach but not a great one. He was fortunate as heck that Danny O decided to stay home and made the program respectable in D1 rather quickly. The Fiesta Bowl team was misleading. The league was down and a last second field goal got us into the Fiesta. He had the bend but don’t break defensive philosophy, but in this high octane offense AAC, that doesn’t work very well if you don’t have better than two non scoring drives against per game. It has to be awful playing O on a team where you know that if you can’t score almost every possession, the team will lose.

I get that he is playing a young defense, but the season is almost over, some of the young guys are red shirt Frosh with 2 years of practice and they often look like they have never played before. The line backing and safety play at plugging holes can be better handled by tackling dummies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Fiesta Bowl team was misleading. The league was down and a last second field goal got us into the Fiesta.

I'll never understand this line of thinking. UConn went 8-4 (5-2) and won the auto bid and went into the game ranked #25. Nothing misleading about it.

We have so few accomplishments as a FBS program, I don't know why we have to qualify that conference title.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand this line of thinking. UConn went 8-4 (5-2) and won the auto bid and went into the game ranked #25. Nothing misleading about it. We have so few accomplishments as a FBS program, I don't know why we have to qualify that conference title.
Sure, but game-winning, last second FGs never count.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sure, but game-winning, last second FGs never count.
You missed the whole point. I said Edsall was decent but not great, and thought more of himself than he was entitled to. He is not an all world coach and in fact, while we all enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl season, the league as a whole WAS down and the last second FG tends to make him look better than he was. Outside of maybe Endres (we'll never know) he never came close to recruiting close to Danny O. caliber QB.

On this year's team, on top of last year's team, what exactly floats your boat about the progress on D? You can point at the D coordinator, but RE is the main man. After 9 games, young and inexperienced and not physically strong enough doesn't equal nobody being home on too many running plays per game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Except, your intended point was not missed and Dave Teggart's last second FG still qualified UConn for the 2010 BE Championship. Still counted, still qualified our Huskies for the 2011 Fiesta Bowl regardless of views on Edsall's coaching success and challenges.
You’re still missing the point. Tge kick counted, we were all excited, but the kick didn’t reflect anything significant about Edsal and the league was down. 8-4 is a fine record, but not quite spectacular.

Reaction Score
You’re still missing the point. Tge kick counted, we were all excited, but the kick didn’t reflect anything significant about Edsal and the league was down. 8-4 is a fine record, but not quite spectacular.
Incorrect and you surely will continue thinking otherwise, but 8-4 was still a massive accomplishment post 1-AA transition despite varying perceptions of the BE by 2010. Love Edsall,, coaching style, etc? Nope. Expect Edsall will still be UConn's head coach in 2 years? Yup.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Incorrect and you surely will continue thinking otherwise, but 8-4 was still a massive accomplishment post 1-AA transition despite varying perceptions of the BE by 2010. Love Edsall,, coaching style, etc? Nope. Expect Edsall will still be UConn's head coach in 2 years? Yup.
Time will tell if that’s a good thing. I sat through most home games since the Rent opened and the last two years of no defense and no in season progress.
Not encouraging.

Reaction Score
Time will tell if that’s a good thing. ... and the last two years of no defense...
On the first point, undoubtedly we agree. Regarding the D, few people paying much attention to the incoming 2018 defensive roster, loss of some of the better 2017 D players, and dearth of recruits from Diaco and experience coming into 2018 believed this year's D would be an improvement over even 2017's challenged D. We'll see what happens with more recruiting, more experience, and potentially some coaching transitions.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@cohenzone I get the overall point about Edsall. But I also don't think it diminishes the Fiesta Bowl accomplishment or greatly changes how we as fans perceive him. He was a good coach, who was great for UConn for the transition to FBS. For all his flaws he went out with 9, 8, 8, 8 wins and the program would be lucky to even lose 8 games a year now

A quick anecdote, I don't know if it's all hindsight, but when it was 4th and short vs. Pitt and the ball was on our own say 35 and Edsall went for it and Todman converted, I really thought that was going to be the turning point to where we became a real contender for the top 25 every year.

We all know how it played out with him going to MD and then the raids, but I'll always wonder what could have been had he stayed and Big East carried onward.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
@cohenzone I get the overall point about Edsall. But I also don't think it diminishes the Fiesta Bowl accomplishment or greatly changes how we as fans perceive him. He was a good coach, who was great for UConn for the transition to FBS. For all his flaws he went out with 9, 8, 8, 8 wins and the program would be lucky to even lose 8 games a year now

A quick anecdote, I don't know if it's all hindsight, but when it was 4th and short vs. Pitt and the ball was on our own say 35 and Edsall went for it and Todman converted, I really thought that was going to be the turning point to where we became a real contender for the top 25 every year.

We all know how it played out with him going to MD and then the raids, but I'll always wonder what could have been had he stayed and Big East carried onward.
I honestly think he bolted because he felt unappreciated at UConn and overestimated his ability. And it’s quite possible that game winning FG played a part in his thinking because the Fiesta Bowl was a big deal. The way he departed is a liitle evidence of that, but personally it never bothered me all that much. At the time he was a lot better than what followed, but it isn’t so evident that he can come close to his first round here. He’s making a lot of trying to shift the focus away from himself. I still went to most home games this year, but the absence of lines at the men’s room at halftime is depressing although easier on the bladder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom