Vontae Diggs Tweet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vontae Diggs Tweet

Reaction Score
Geno has the shortest bench in wbb. The 6 that play are hs aa or poy. And hes had alot of kids leave.
True, but he gets the most out of every single one of them (even those that don’t get minutes) because they understand their role and they’ll be productive beyond basketball because of it. Geno doesn’t cast them off, he pushes them to be the best that they can be. The ones that leave, don’t like being pushed beyond their capabilities. How many have left UConn and went on the be an AA?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get the point of the tweet. If you want him to just talk about the now, then he's going to be talking about how we're the worst team in the country every single week. He's trying to get the guys to believe that what they are going through now will pay off down the road.

As for the past, I get that him talking about the days of Alfred Fincher and winning the Motor City Bowl isn't exactly on par with Calhoun telling stories of Ray Allen and Emeka Okafor, but im still glad he tries to sell the history we do have
You can't have buy-in to an approach that is failing at historic levels for two seasons. You buy into plans and systems that at least show positive change. Do an eye test and compare Hurley to RE. A down and out losing squad in March and now a different attitude level, better execution, focused on fundamentals, etc...not perfect but you see the early signs of progress right from the start. On the other side of the coin, 2 years of failing with a boat load of excuses, no execution, no improvement in fundamentals. Edsall has one year to get this thing righted, or out the door he goes, and in the interim he needs to clean house of the D side of the staff.

Reaction Score
I think you’re missing the point. Edsall isn’t getting the most out of what he has. For two reasons: 1) He had better coaches (teachers) in his first stint. 2) He’s dividing the team with his comments in public.

I don’t care who he plays but get the most out of your roster. You can’t develop depth or chemistry (especially when you don’t care about winning - his words) without opportunity. How do you really know what you have if you don’t play as many guys as possible. I’m fine with redshirting guys. I’m talking about guys that don’t have that option. What do they have to lose at this point? If a kid knows there’s no opportunity to play (the dangling carrot), then they’re not going to give you their best effort everyday. There’s no incentive. You know why the top programs continue to get kids year after year, great coaches and opportunity.

I don't disagree with most of what you just said. I guess what I'm saying is that Edsall has proven that he'll play you if you are good enough to play - regardless of who brought you in. The staff sees every player in practice everyday. If the player's not playing in games, it's because they haven't taken advantage of the opportunities in practice. For all of Edsall's faults, talent evaluation isn't usually one of them.

Reaction Score
Hurley has an elite backcourt, and various other decent to good recruits on his roster. It's also basketball so the process is quicker. The expectations are and should be higher.

Totally agree Edsall blew the UMass game but don't think it has anythng to do with looking towards the future. It's just common sense that the roster we have now isn't ready to win, and that this year is about getting guys experience that will hopefully pay off down the road. He could lie about that and say all he cares about is winning each week, but I don't know how that will make us better.
I agree with most of what you say, but remember the kids read and hear what the coach says to the media. If all they hear is we suck and aren't good enough they may not be all in for their coach. That is really the crux of what Diggs was saying, and Noel Thomas agreed with.

Reaction Score
I think you’re missing the point. Edsall isn’t getting the most out of what he has. For two reasons: 1) He had better coaches (teachers) in his first stint. 2) He’s dividing the team with his comments in public.

I don’t care who he plays but get the most out of your roster. You can’t develop depth or chemistry (especially when you don’t care about winning - his words) without opportunity. How do you really know what you have if you don’t play as many guys as possible. I’m fine with redshirting guys. I’m talking about guys that don’t have that option. What do they have to lose at this point? If a kid knows there’s no opportunity to play (the dangling carrot), then they’re not going to give you their best effort everyday. There’s no incentive. You know why the top programs continue to get kids year after year, great coaches and opportunity.

This really is an excellent post.

Reaction Score
You can't have buy-in to an approach that is failing at historic levels for two seasons. You buy into plans and systems that at least show positive change. Do an eye test and compare Hurley to RE. A down and out losing squad in March and now a different attitude level, better execution, focused on fundamentals, etc...not perfect but you see the early signs of progress right from the start. On the other side of the coin, 2 years of failing with a boat load of excuses, no execution, no improvement in fundamentals. Edsall has one year to get this thing righted, or out the door he goes, and in the interim he needs to clean house of the D side of the staff.

But again, apples and oranges comparing the rosters coming in and the sports themselves.

And look, Hurley is a better basketball coach than Edsall is a football coach. UConn basketball can go out and beat p5 programs for the best head coach on the market. Football can't. It is what it is. That doesn't mean Edsall can't eventually be successful. I wish it was sooner but I don't see how

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you say, but remember the kids read and hear what the coach says to the media. If all they hear is we suck and aren't good enough they may not be all in for their coach. That is really the crux of what Diggs was saying, and Noel Thomas agreed with.

Right but lets say he was talking up the guys like Diaco was, and saying how they expect to win this year...and then they come out and play like this, what do you say then? I think for the most part he's tried to be positive and preaching patience on giving the guys a chance to get better and develop. And as for the upperclassmen not playing...what do you say about them? The situation kind of speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Look, whomever “liked” that tweet can just . Former players taking shots at a new regime? Not a good look for Diggs. Show me where all these Diaco “gems” are.

Want me to be blunt? Most (if not all) of the kids who liked the tweet simply are not good enough to play at this level. Sorry not sorry.

Reaction Score
Something struck me today that perhaps Edsall seems to forget.....

1) You can't get complete "buy-in" when you're shunning the previous regimes recruits. You have to go with what you have (whether they're your guys or not). Great coaches find out what makes each kid tick and pushes those buttons to get kids to play above their capabilities. Geno is great at it. Kids today want instant gratification. They do whatever it takes to get on the field. If you cast them aside, you're not going to have any kind of team chemistry.
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -- Abe Lincoln

2) During his prior success at UConn his staff (OC & DC) consisted of future head coaches.

Rob Ambrose (OC) - Towson University, Head Coach
Joe Moorhead (OC) - Mississippi St., Head Coach
Todd Orlando (DC) - U of Texas, Defensive Coordinator

I don't think that can be said about the current staff, right now. To me, that makes a huge difference. Great coaches surround themselves with guys that aspire to be head coaches and have the ability to teach and bring the best out players with lesser ability. I believe Edsall has lost sight of that. Maybe it's ego, maybe it's the athletic budget, but I wouldn't be worried about any BCS schools heading to Storrs for their next HC. Maybe Dunn has a chance. He's still young. Crocker, however, will likely never get another BCS job. Edsall 2.0 is not equipped to get UConn back to the level it once was, at least not on his own. He's not an elite head coach. He can tweet quotes all he wants. He's living in a house divided. Until he learns from his past, there is no future, because he's mishandling the present roster.

I know for a fact this started last season with how he handled Newsome. This isn't new.

I appreciate where Kris is coming from ... and Have read his posts for years. He has insight and is thoughtful.

HOWEVER ...

I understand the balance of the Diaco players are disgruntled because they aren't getting on the field in great amount of time nor plays.

Specifically. Who do you think really is not getting his due?

Mason Donaldson? Donovan Williams? Name a bunch of others? Gilmartin? Brouse? Cespedes? WHOOOO? I think there is ample evidence that the kids on the field are the best today. Barring injury ... I really cannot argue - given the plays I have seen and Spring game etc ... that there is an abundance of talent not on the field. Nobody really leaps out at me as a real glaring error on Edsall. We simply do not have a lot to work with.

Then ...

Assistant Coaches?

I guarantee that Orlando was not HC worthy when he arrived in Randy's second year. By year 10? OK. He developed into something wonderful. Ambrose? Now he actually shows HC talent. But we all complained when he was here: trust me. I heard from parents then. Moorhead? To me ... he always was good. A good catch on HCRE. Then ...

The assistant coaches today - and I read extensively on their backgrounds when they arrived ... and also the comparative programs at the same hire year: Temple, USF, Cincinnati, Houston. I think all the guys Edsall brought in were solid - resume wise. It is easy to crank on Crocker. But, Dunn/Lashless ... then Aaron Smith, Jon Wholley, Dottin-Carter, Curome Cox and the Frank G. All have solid Northeast pedigrees. And still quite young. Like? Orlando was experienced and older AND Ambrose was experienced and older THAN the guy you compared him to. It is not apples and oranges.

My key vision? What do these younger coaches bring in in recruits? They had previous good solid references. But to date ... the JURY is out on their capacity to evaluate and bring in studs - under the radar. Orlando? By his 5th year, we were getting a few solid Western PA guys per year.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with most of what you just said. I guess what I'm saying is that Edsall has proven that he'll play you if you are good enough to play - regardless of who brought you in. The staff sees every player in practice everyday. If the player's not playing in games, it's because they haven't taken advantage of the opportunities in practice. For all of Edsall's faults, talent evaluation isn't usually one of them.
I get what you're saying. But, I think Edsall labels guys and doesn't waiver from that. I'll use Newsome as an example. I think we can all agree, he was the most dynamic player on the roster last year. Edsall didn't see him as an every down back. That's his opinion. He labeled Newsome as a 3rd down back and eventually named (his recruit) Mensah the starter. Was Mensah the best option? Did Mensah make the offense significantly better? Was Mensah a better all-around player then Newsome as a true freshman? Was Mensah a threat in the passing game? Was Mensah so far and away better between the tackle runner? Was Mensah a better pass-blocking back? Maybe I'm biased toward Newsome, but I'm going to say, "No." to all of those. Edsall played Mensah because it was his guy and he was the future. He took a guy that was a chunk play threat (in or out of the backfield) and made him a one-dimensional player. In turn making Lashlee's offense very predictable. Couple that with a bad defense and you get the results you got. Then, Edsall did what he does, points the finger at someone else, Lashlee, the roster, lack of strength and leadership....etc. He's never the problem, I guess that's my issue with Edsall. He's never the one being held accountable.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying. But, I think Edsall labels guys and doesn't waiver from that. I'll use Newsome as an example. I think we can all agree, he was the most dynamic player on the roster last year. Edsall didn't see him as an every down back. That's his opinion. He labeled Newsome as a 3rd down back and eventually named (his recruit) Mensah the starter. Was Mensah the best option? Did Mensah make the offense significantly better? Was Mensah a better all-around player then Newsome as a true freshman? Was Mensah a threat in the passing game? Was Mensah so far and away better between the tackle runner? Was Mensah a better pass-blocking back? Maybe I'm biased toward Newsome, but I'm going to say, "No." to all of those. Edsall played Mensah because it was his guy and he was the future. He took a guy that was a chunk play threat (in or out of the backfield) and made him a one-dimensional player. In turn making Lashlee's offense very predictable. Couple that with a bad defense and you get the results you got. Then, Edsall did what he does, points the finger at someone else, Lashlee, the roster, lack of strength and leadership....etc. He's never the problem, I guess that's my issue with Edsall. He's never the one being held accountable.
Newsome was horribly misused for a large portion of last year. We definitely agree there.

Hearing the excuses from Edsall has also gotten really tiresome, but I don’t think a lot of those excuses are untrue though. It’s just hard to keep hearing the same things week after week.

Does Randy favor his guys? Maybe - but I think he’s shown more often than not that if you’re good enough to be on the field, you’ll have a chance to prove yourself on gameday.

Reaction Score
Mason Donaldson liked the tweet. As well as a few former players as well from Diaco era
Something struck me today that perhaps Edsall seems to forget.....

1) You can't get complete "buy-in" when you're shunning the previous regimes recruits. You have to go with what you have (whether they're your guys or not). Great coaches find out what makes each kid tick and pushes those buttons to get kids to play above their capabilities. Geno is great at it. Kids today want instant gratification. They do whatever it takes to get on the field. If you cast them aside, you're not going to have any kind of team chemistry.
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -- Abe Lincoln

2) During his prior success at UConn his staff (OC & DC) consisted of future head coaches.

Rob Ambrose (OC) - Towson University, Head Coach
Joe Moorhead (OC) - Mississippi St., Head Coach
Todd Orlando (DC) - U of Texas, Defensive Coordinator

I don't think that can be said about the current staff, right now. To me, that makes a huge difference. Great coaches surround themselves with guys that aspire to be head coaches and have the ability to teach and bring the best out players with lesser ability. I believe Edsall has lost sight of that. Maybe it's ego, maybe it's the athletic budget, but I wouldn't be worried about any BCS schools heading to Storrs for their next HC. Maybe Dunn has a chance. He's still young. Crocker, however, will likely never get another BCS job. Edsall 2.0 is not equipped to get UConn back to the level it once was, at least not on his own. He's not an elite head coach. He can tweet quotes all he wants. He's living in a house divided. Until he learns from his past, there is no future, because he's mishandling the present roster.

I know for a fact this started last season with how he handled Newsome. This isn't new.

I don’t trust coaches who spout cliches and quotes. We have had quite a few lately. I don’t recall that JC ever quoted anybody he had his own ahem,special language .

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I honestly think he bolted because he felt unappreciated at UConn and overestimated his ability. And it’s quite possible that game winning FG played a part in his thinking because the Fiesta Bowl was a big deal. The way he departed is a liitle evidence of that, but personally it never bothered me all that much. At the time he was a lot better than what followed, but it isn’t so evident that he can come close to his first round here. He’s making a lot of trying to shift the focus away from himself. I still went to most home games this year, but the absence of lines at the men’s room at halftime is depressing although easier on the bladder.
He left because the relationship with Hathaway was over. Randy expressed his frustration and found a way out. Had there been any other AD, he might not have left so quickly.

Reaction Score
Yes I remember that Pitt 4th and short well. Up until then, Edsall never would take a chance. He took other uncharacteristic gambles that season. I’ve always wondered if he wasn’t already discussing the job worth Maryland and was trying to show them he could be aggressive in play calling.
I swear that was WV. Idk? Wasn’t that the only time we beat them?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So let me see if I get this straight- some people are siding with a couple of 24 year olds over a coach who has been coaching for close to 35 years or so. I trust Randy's eyes a lot more than 2 guys who aren't around the program. Guess what, the stink Diaco left is still here. There were always going to be kids leaving- this twitter crap will just hasten it. The rebuild started in earnest this year and the last vestiges of Diaco will be gone after this season. Hate to sound harsh but in Randy v 1 - lots of kids headed for the door and the build started. It is repeating itself. Kids who have toiled for 2 and 3 years have lost playing time to new kids. They don't have buy in but deep down they know why.

Any coach coming in would want his own players- in this case, the talent level needs to be upgraded and not too many football coaches would have played the seniors and 4th yr juniors out of sentimentality.

Reaction Score
I swear that was WV. Idk? Wasn’t that the only time we beat them?

It was Pitt. We also beat WV for the first and only time.

The tweet is a bad look for Diggs, but iunderstand.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He left because the relationship with Hathaway was over. Randy expressed his frustration and found a way out. Had there been any other AD, he might not have left so quickly.
I don’t disagree but that lines up with the idea that he felt unappreciated. Hathaway was a disaster.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You and I are 100% on the same page about Arkeel and always have been. The kid was a unique talent in the open field. Last year was a disservice to us all. And it was absolutely due to what you're saying; Edsall is playing for the future. 2020, if my math is correct.

And I'll certainly be happier in 2020 if it comes true. But I get the feeling my current misery could have been minimized during the process...

Reaction Score
Gems? I find it hard to believe Coach Edsall is overlooking gems. And he isn’t just playing his guys. Take a look at the O Line. He actually inserted a Diaco guy after week 4 (Leone).

The problem here is Diaco signed a lot of FCS players. Hopefully the current players who liked the tweet can drop down a level to find the playing time they desire.

Reaction Score
So let me see if I get this straight- some people are siding with a couple of 24 year olds over a coach who has been coaching for close to 35 years or so. I trust Randy's eyes a lot more than 2 guys who aren't around the program. Guess what, the stink Diaco left is still here. There were always going to be kids leaving- this twitter crap will just hasten it. The rebuild started in earnest this year and the last vestiges of Diaco will be gone after this season. Hate to sound harsh but in Randy v 1 - lots of kids headed for the door and the build started. It is repeating itself. Kids who have toiled for 2 and 3 years have lost playing time to new kids. They don't have buy in but deep down they know why.

Any coach coming in would want his own players- in this case, the talent level needs to be upgraded and not too many football coaches would have played the seniors and 4th yr juniors out of sentimentality.

I do think those 24-year olds are more in-tune with an 18-22 yr olds thought process today and have a better feel for what they’re thinking but can’t necessarily say. Edsall certainly hasn’t shown that he’s completely willing to deviate from his offensive philosophy from 35-years ago. The game has changed. The kids have changed. I agree a coach coming in is going to want his own recruits. Here’s the problem, the guys he played last year haven’t significantly improved. When you combine that with true freshmen that are physically not ready to play, you get a defense that’s statistically one of the worst in NCAA history. Is that all on Crocker, maybe? But, Edsall is a defensive coach and that unit should have shown some improvement at this point of the season. I won’t give Crocker a pass this year but Edsall still steers the ship. We see the same mistakes defensively week after week, poor tackling, no pass rush, losing leverage on the edge, over-pursuit by LBs, poor eye discipline at the 2nd and 3rd levels, poor communication, etc. I’ve yet to see Edsall call out Crocker. Diaco’s recruits will eventually be gone and we’ll see who Edsall points the finger at then. It’s baffling to me that other coaches can turn things around in 1-2-3 years with another staff’s recruits but UConn can’t.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But again, apples and oranges comparing the rosters coming in and the sports themselves.

And look, Hurley is a better basketball coach than Edsall is a football coach. UConn basketball can go out and beat p5 programs for the best head coach on the market. Football can't. It is what it is. That doesn't mean Edsall can't eventually be successful. I wish it was sooner but I don't see how
Understood. My point was really simple. Coaching matters and great coaching can turn things quickly.

C

Chief00

But doesn’t that comes back to the question of who’s not playing enough that should be? I guess folks could answer, “we don’t know who they are because we’re not @ practice to see the execution/effort” but to me, none of the upperclassmen’s names on D jump out @ me glaring omissions for not seeing the field. I’m all ears...
Donovan Williams is one of the best athletes on our team and he’s built like a man. What’s perplexing to Chief is Randy is suppose to be a coach who gets the best athletes on the field even if it’s changing positions - why not try him at linebacker or DE edge rusher? We have linebackers now who are simply overmatched. Even when Hahn is in the right spot - a truck runs him over and even if it technically somehow ends with a tackle - it’s 5 yards down field.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Good post. Randy 2.0 is bringing out all of Randy’s worst traits. There is no way it ends well. We can do better.
#ChiefCertified

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom