Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
And it’s my opinion he was wrong.

See how we can keep playing this silly game.

You cared enough to talk about it and I cared enough to respond
Game is done because your annoying and corny ass is going on ignore where you belong

Reaction Score
A+ games from spencer and newton but a B game overall. marquette and PC arent going to shoot 3/24 from behind the arc. Karaban is now 5/24 in his last 3 games. if his shot isnt falling on a given night we need to pound it inside to clingan. can't just rely on our backcourt.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 164
Reaction Score
A+ games from spencer and newton but a B game overall. marquette and PC arent going to shoot 3/24 from behind the arc. Karaban is now 5/24 in his last 3 games. if his shot isnt falling on a given night we need to pound it inside to clingan. can't just rely on our backcourt.
Hurley said in the post game press conference that all players go through slumps and that Karaban has just gone through his and will come out of it on fire. Let's hope so.

Reaction Score
On the Maravich discussion (I almost posted this on another recent thread): I'm old enough to have seen him ( on TV) at LSU & the Hawks) to say he was incredible. There were many good basketball minds ( former players, coaches, announcers) whad had claimed he was the best ball handler, shooter or passer they ever saw. If he had a three point line ( even an NBA line) and four years of eligibility, he would have doubled his point total.
Doubled? He averaged 44 his senior year… you think he would have averaged 88?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Someone asked Hurley in the post game press conference about getting Tristen his triple double by allowing Karaban to take that shot late in a blowout. He said Villanova was pressing so he let the team shoot rather than waiting for a turnover or foul.

I agree with him. If the other team is pressing with the game over then you still have to attack rather than play passive and sit on the ball for the shot clock violation, which is how both teams usually play it there in that situation.
I posted somewhere how thrilled I was that the assist wasn't on an easy layup. The triple double was earned. End of story.

We did not show them up. End of story

Reaction Score
*Breanna, four nattys and so easily overlooked.

I have to admit all the talk of “generational” level talent with Clark becomes annoying. She’s special but if any of Taurasi, Moore, Stewart and Bueckers averaged 30-34 shots a game they would have easily had the same numbers scoring. They didn’t have to because their “teams” were full of really good players. Not to take away from her but she’s not a better basketball player than Taurasi and never will be.

On the Maravich take, imagine a 3 point line but also imagine with his ability the advantage the players have these days with the “carry” for an extra 1-2 steps on some dribbles? Watch his videos his hand is always on top of the ball when handling it while today guys continuously dribble with a legal “carry” or palm which was called consistently back in the day. Pete was special with the rock!

Reaction Score
Tonight:

Couldn’t have been more unhappy 1st half with DC jumping on ball fakes from Dixon and a couple of others. When will he learn but he did play a much better 2nd half no doubt.

Thank God for Spencer and Newton because offensively until the 12-0 run and thereafter, our offense was sloppy a lot. Finished the game well though that’s all we can ask.

Defensively pretty good overall. Castle plays so damn hard on that end and physically as well he’s an absolute pleasure for a freshman. Alex also had a solid night on D, had to because he was a mason on the other end.

I’m just thinking this team is due to have the whole team shoot the ball well again soon, kinda think Hall may be on display when it happens.

Fun day overall with Gameday, Rip, JC and beating Nova!

Reaction Score
I have to admit all the talk of “generational” level talent with Clark becomes annoying. She’s special but if any of Taurasi, Moore, Stewart and Bueckers averaged 30-34 shots a game they would have easily had the same numbers scoring. They didn’t have to because their “teams” were full of really good players. Not to take away from her but she’s not a better basketball player than Taurasi and never will be.

On the Maravich take, imagine a 3 point line but also imagine with his ability the advantage the players have these days with the “carry” for an extra 1-2 steps on some dribbles? Watch his videos his hand is always on top of the ball when handling it while today guys continuously dribble with a legal “carry” or palm which was called consistently back in the day. Pete was special with the rock!
Clark is getting the Ohtani treatment from the media, where general sports media and fans let their feelings override reality.

Championships do matter, Iowa lost the championship game to a lower seeded LSU team, they were not a jauggernaut, Clark wasn’t good in the championship game. It doesn’t take anything away from her but she Isn’t Stewie, Moore or Taurasi.

Reaction Score
*Breanna, four nattys and so easily overlooked.
Ya it really is pathetic, Stewie lost 4 games in her career 3 as a freshman, 3 in OT and only regulation lost was to Griner’s Baylor team.

Reaction Score
Thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer.

16 rebounds is insane for a PG but not even the highlight of Newton’s night. 4 “career” triple doubles at UConn, in 2 years. AK ice cold all night but he hit it when his guy needed him to

Targeting Clingan to get him in foul trouble is a good idea, but only when it works. Dixon had 20, but needed 19 shots to get there

Great win!

Reaction Score
Castle has entered Ricky Moore territory. He just gets better and better.
He definitely has the focus down. This kid's face was locked in all game. It was like he knew the assignment and offense was secondary.

Reaction Score
I could have said the same thing after almost every game this season, but last night showed why this team is one of the few great teams this season:

Any of UConn's starters can score double-digits and all are above average defenders.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I don’t understand the takes on here. Whenever you play a team like Villanova and beat them by 24 pts it qualifies as an A grade. It’s a make miss sport. We’ve set an unreasonable standard if we think we’re gonna shoot 50% from 3s every game and win by 30+ every night. This game has no bearing on the next game performance by our guys or our opponent.

Reaction Score
not sure if it was Jackson or Johnson who repeatedly responded when one of our 3 pt shots missed badly "Brick!"

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

And Maravich did it with a heart defect

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention Castle, I think he's an even better defensive player than Jackson was.
Both are excellent defenders.

Jackson is a defensive playmaker. More of the turnovers he caused led to offensive transition, especially led by himself, to highlight plays.

Castle is more of a silent killer. He still generates turnovers at a similar rate to Jackson (see below), but Castle seems to have more of an impact matching up on an opponent's top guy, nullifying their impact.

Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 7.33.31 AM.jpg

In summary, while different players, Castle's hard work and adjustment has steadily streamlined the transition of the small forward position from Jackson to Castle. Rarely do I love UConn's freshmen, but Castle has been amazing in the second half this season and he's up there on the list of my favorite Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom