Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Castle’s family sits 3 rows in front of us. One of the guys (not sure if father, uncle, whatever) stood up and yelled directions at him when they were at our end. It was entertaining.
Think I know who you’re talking about, his uncle has a pretty good YouTube channel. Talks mostly Knicks, does talk UConn at the start of his videos.

Reaction Score
Gus didn't say Caitlin Clark is more exciting than a walk-on men's basketball player at UConn or that she's the most exciting player in women's college basketball or women's basketball. He said Caitlin Clark is the greatest college basketball player he's ever seen. It's such a ridiculous statement that I thought he would pull back and revise what he said but nope right after he doubled down on it.
I'm not responding to Gus Johnson, that's a different conversation. I'm responding to HuskyHawk who said Andrew Hurley is more exciting

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rule 1 for a broadcaster. Know your audience. You are at UConn. Doing a UConn game. The most successful program in the history of the sport. And Caitlin Clark is the greatest player of all time! Even if it’s a men’s game, we know a bit about women’s basketball. And No, Gus. Just no.
To me, this is an example of someone with an anti-Gus bias giving it away. Accusing Gus of not knowing his audience based on yesterday's game is preposterous. Gus was so laudatory he was practically a paid UConn spokesperson the entire game. He called Storrs "the basketball capital of the world" several times. He ended a national prime-time broadcast with those exact words. That scoot found a UConn snub is Gus' fandom of a woman player is just trolling. Weak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not responding to Gus Johnson, that's a different conversation. I'm responding to HuskyHawk who said Andrew Hurley is more exciting
I mean if you put them on a court together would HuskyHawk be wrong?

Reaction Score
I mean if you put them on a court together would HuskyHawk be wrong?
Again, that's not the discussion. Is watching Andrew Hurley play men's college basketball or Caitlin Clark play women's college basketball more exciting?

Reaction Score
Again, that's not the discussion. Is watching Andrew Hurley play men's college basketball or Caitlin Clark play women's college basketball more exciting?
That’s an idiotic question. It’s really not even the same sport with how different it’s played. The comparison alone by Gus was dumb. But if you’re going to make the comparison you have to judge it based upon how’d they’d perform on the same playing field. Or it’s just stupid. Just compare her to other women’s basketball players.

It’s like saying your 7 year old nephew is a more exciting basketball players than an end of the bench NBA guy. It’s dumb and not true

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Hurley by far. That 3 he made earlier in the year made me give a cry of joy. I don't watch or care one iota about WBB, take it to their board.

Reaction Score
Caitlin could not bring the ball up court in a men's college basketball game. She couldn't get off a shot.

She is tremendous playing against women. Andrew Hurley would be an All American if he played women's college basketball.

The statement by the announcer was idiotic. It was also unfair to Caitlin.

Reaction Score
I think he was making a point that all our players are better and more exciting than she is. He used a walk-on to stress the difference between male players and female players.

It's easy to make the case Caitlin Clark is the most exciting and best player in women's college basketball right now and you can make the case for her all-time in women's college basketball. There's plenty of 15 year old boys who would destroy her, that's why it's always stupid and divisive when people talk like Gus talked yesterday.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself by there were a few times last spring when I was quite excited watching Andrew Hurley dribble out the game in the tournament. I'm hoping to see it again during this year's tournament and I can assure you that I will find it every bit as exciting seeing Andrew do it again this April.

Reaction Score
Nova fans are quite butthurt about the fact that UConn's starters were in the game near the end. You'd think they'd have bigger things to worry about.

Reaction Score
Nova fans are quite butthurt about the fact that UConn's starters were in the game near the end. You'd think they'd have bigger things to worry about.
Their teams were chippy and talky when they were on top. Time to pay the piper.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What’s surprising to me is that Solo Ball has basically lost a good share of his minutes.

A lot more Diarra and Stewart off the bench.

Reaction Score
While they couldn’t press the bench guys?

Reaction Score
What’s surprising to me is that Solo Ball has basically lost a good share of his minutes.

A lot more Diarra and Stewart off the bench.
Solo lost his minutes to Castle, and some to Diarra (who really just upped his 6th man minutes). Stewart plays a different position.

Reaction Score
Think I know who you’re talking about, his uncle has a pretty good YouTube channel. Talks mostly Knicks, does talk UConn at the start of his videos.

yep that looks like him!

Reaction Score
Thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer thank you Cam Spencer.
anybody else think this when they see this pic of Cam?
camshark.jpg

Reaction Score
Sometimes I don’t understand the takes on here. Whenever you play a team like Villanova and beat them by 24 pts it qualifies as an A grade. It’s a make miss sport. We’ve set an unreasonable standard if we think we’re gonna shoot 50% from 3s every game and win by 30+ every night. This game has no bearing on the next game performance by our guys or our opponent.
Everyone is waiting for this A+ game when we beat the 2nd best team in the country by 45 points.

We’ve played A games, saying we haven’t is setting yourself up to be mightily disappointed.

Reaction Score
You guys are hilarious about this Clark stuff. Gus said HIS opinion, he can’t be wrong if it’s HIS opinion.

And the 15 y/o or Andrew Hurley stuff is so childish man. My god.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The best way to view this (the comments on Clark):

Any man currently ranked 120-150 in tennis could easily handle a top ranked women's player.

Major tournaments charge quite a bit of money and draw extremely large crowds for women's matches. If someone ran a tournament consisting entirely of men ranked between 120-150 would they be able to draw anyone at any price?

Reaction Score
You guys are hilarious about this Clark stuff. Gus said HIS opinion, he can’t be wrong if it’s HIS opinion.

And the 15 y/o or Andrew Hurley stuff is so childish man. My god.
Gus said something extremely stupid. He should have said Caitlin Clark is the greatest women's college basketball player he's ever seen and nobody would have a problem with his opinion. Nobody actually believes Gus Johnson thinks Cailtin Clark is the greatest college basketball player he's ever seen but for some reason he said it multiple times.

Disingenuous comments like this do a disservice to female basketball players and male basketball players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom