Villanova post game thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And we are only in this position because we have played less games not due to our actual W-L record. Granted this could change dramatically in the next 10 days or so. Change to the better or...
Actually, it is because we gave a game away last night and greatly reduced our margin of error.
After last nights episode, there are no more gimmes.
They can drop one at any time; even to East Penciltucky State.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Oregon was favored. We were ranked last night. We were an 18pt favorite, but down by 19 in the 3rd quarter. This was the worst.
And if it had been known that Liv was not going to play and both Dorka and Evina had some health issues, do you believe that UConn would still be an 18pt favorite?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The disparity in rebounding was offensive rebounds. Mostly....Siegrist who often was not matched up against a big. I saw several times where she was matched up against Nika under the basket. Don't ask me how that happens. Most of UCONN's rebounds were by UCONN guards because a lot of the rebounds were long. They were slow to some others, but unless you have a gifted motor you will fatigue after chasing a team filled with perimeter shooters. You can't afford to play all out with 6 players. I would be concerned about rebounding if this were the norm. They loss a close game by 3...to a hot shooting team. It happens. And I don't think Dorka would have played if Liv were healthy and AE wasn't in foul trouble. I'm satisfied that all the components are present on this team. They just aren't all present now. I just don't see the sky falling.
This is how it happens:
Because Villanova spreads the floor with 5 players and Amari would have been lost out there trying to guard one of Nova's forwards on the perimeter.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Actually, it is because we gave a game away last night and greatly reduced our margin of error.
After last nights episode, there are no more gimmes.
They can drop one at any time; even to East Penciltucky State.
And if we lose 1 more, we are still 1 up in the loss column.
I just don't know what would happen BE ranking wise, if we end the season having played 2, 3 or 4 less games. Especially when the other teams in contention currently have 3 losses.

Reaction Score
Some of you folks are dramatic. There, I said it. You're just not accustomed to UCONN looking average. Well, you would be average too under these realities. UCONN isn't dead. They are hobbled...and despite the loss...still kicking and fighting. Apply reality and you'll find the answers to most of your questions. Stop bashing the players. They haven't quit. They are tired. It showed. When Ducharme was scratched before the TN game I saw panic. You can check my posts...I wasn't worried and stated...I still got UCONN. They are STILL that good. Lose three starters...and naturally, the odds of winning get slimmer. They STILL almost won. Some of you hang on Geno's every word, for example...they weren't hustling. That's him needling his players...it's not for you to take literally. He KNOWS it's hard. He KNOWS they haven't quit. I get that fans, some more than others, have this rabid emotional attachment to their team, but sometimes it clouds reality. I shook my head every time I read a TN fan saying that their slide was because Keyen Green got hurt. Now I'm doing the same when UCONN fans can't accept that losing THREE starters (not backups) is somehow not going to impact outcomes...even against Villanova. Villanova...hats off to your efforts. See you in the tourney.

BTW...the dominating thought I had in the game last night was that Fudd might earn the tag...unguardable.
Because maybe their defense on the perimeter would be worse?
The key word there is “maybe”! You don’t know what would have happened if Geno had played them (Amari and Piath) for five or six minutes. I’m not going to second guess Geno here because I think there is probably a deeper reason why he didn’t play them, but I do agree that, at least from our (fan) perspective, it’s puzzling why they didn’t get a look in a game where our two bigs managed two total rebounds between them!

Reaction Score
Tough loss. There was a chance to possibly take it to overtime or at least have another possession but CW miss near the basket was big. I will give the team a pass. They didn’t play great as a team and relied a little too much on one one and forced it to Azzi trying to have her same the game. For those who think Liv is expendable she will be sorely missed we do not have a defensive presence like her and rebounding big would’ve helped tonight.

• Now seeing Azzi healthy it just shows we have a found another dawg on our team. Cannot wait until her, Paige, Caroline play together with ONO and CW.
  • Nika did not play well enough for us. Too many times she picks up her dribble and stagnates the offense. Too bad was hoping she could’ve stepped up for us.
  • Dorka is hurting I give her a pass
  • AE needs to be smarter with her moves inside especially the way the refs were calling it, her foul trouble really limited her impact tonight.
  • CW - though she played great. Wished she could’ve finished a couple more tough inside layups even with the contact but she played hard
  • Evina - was ok. She has a stiffness in her movements probably from the knee surgeries, but we needed a little more from her tonight.
Overall this season the team has faced so much adversity. I think if any year they were going to lose it would be in the pandemic with tons of injuries and lineup changes. I don’t want to take away from Villanova. This team with Caroline, Fudd and a healthy rest of the team even without Paige I think can be very dangerous. I just hope that there’s a way that we can see all three big dawgs play together this year oh the post season. We just gotta get in and be healthy and then let the chips fall where they may.
Evina still has back issues.it would be better if she could play fewer minutes, especially when her back is really tender, but with all the other injured/sick players, that isn’t possible.

Reaction Score
The disparity in rebounding was offensive rebounds. Mostly....Siegrist who often was not matched up against a big. I saw several times where she was matched up against Nika under the basket. Don't ask me how that happens. Most of UCONN's rebounds were by UCONN guards because a lot of the rebounds were long. They were slow to some others, but unless you have a gifted motor you will fatigue after chasing a team filled with perimeter shooters. You can't afford to play all out with 6 players. I would be concerned about rebounding if this were the norm. They loss a close game by 3...to a hot shooting team. It happens. And I don't think Dorka would have played if Liv were healthy and AE wasn't in foul trouble. I'm satisfied that all the components are present on this team. They just aren't all present now. I just don't see the sky falling.
The final score may show that game as a “close game” but it really wasn’t that close.

Reaction Score
I have no idea its applicability but when I had a girl in our program, up to and including AAU who was ‘a big’ I worked her on footwork (jump rope Ali style) and hand/eye coordination drills, each and every practice, sometimes before practice and after. Edwards could use some of this to cut down on those charges and spending less time on the deck.

Reaction Score
Almost every game that UCONN plays against BE competition is decided before the 4th quarter even begins. This was just another one.

Reaction Score
I think we do know zones are worse but regardless.
But Nova shot 10-22 from 3. That is an EFG% of 68.1%. The zone encourages 3 point shooting. That's the type of defense you are suggesting would work? For UCONN to "hold" Nova to 68.1% while encouraging them to shoot more?
Seemed like the 68.!% 3 pt shooting was against a man to man for the most part, why wasn't that effective, could a zone have provided better protection against man to man drives and strong offensive rebounding have been worse???? We need to change up our defensive look from time to time if the original look isn't working???? Give the opponent something to respond to.
Sometimes it's what you give that you get.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t #10 UConn beating #7 Tennessee a mild upset?
yes, if you really put much stock in those rankings. I didn't think it was any kind of an upset. my original post had to do with last night's game, and the pressure on Villanova to complete what was a real upset.

Reaction Score
I've been a diehard UCONN WBB fan for almost 30 years throughout the highs & lows. I celebrated when they dominated & was devastated when they lost those heartbreakers. But I have never witnessed so much hostility toward a Husky team until this season. Last night's in- game chat room was inflammatory & I checked out by halftime.
Like all UCONN fans, I was disappointed by last night's defeat & have been frustrated during their most of their losses. But this team has been decimated by long term & last minute injuries. While the great majority of this forum are unconditional & loyal supporters, I do not see the need for vicious attacks & malicious comments from the fair weather "fans".
OK, I'm getting down from my pulpit!

Reaction Score
They have done the best they can with what they have to work with. This may end up a year where injuries and covid impact were just too much to overcome. Or it may be a year of incredible triumph after gelling during the tournament and winning it all. All outcomes are still open which makes this season particularly compelling. I didn't get to see the 2nd half of yesterday's game and I still want to see it. This is a compelling experience, full of human interest stories and people worth rooting for.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He seemed pissed that Liv told him before the game that she couldn't go. Is there something going on that's not injury related.
He seemed more surprised than pissed. Chris said on her post-game show that she learned about it during player intros. Not sure whom Liv told.

Is what it is. I doubt we hear what Geno thinks about it unless Liv says something. It was Stef who told the media (months later) what Geno thought about her not playing in the St John’s game in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom