Villanova post game thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are right…and specially against tough teams , she is a liability at both ends.
You cannot deny her grit but she is good for 10-15 off the bench.

Reaction Score
again begs the question why are there two players who just sit on the bench game after game? Couldnt they be subbed in even for 60 seconds to give one of the others a breather
Why? How do you know those 60 seconds the team won't play worse? Then what would some say after those 60 seconds anyway? They'd say Geno wasn't being fair with them because they are looking over their shoulder to get pulled.

It doesn't "beg the question." Geno has already "answered the question." Geno feels they aren't good enough. It seems like you want players to play regardless of what the coach feels.

To further that, it seems like you want to sub them in because you feel bad for them. Otherwise Geno is telling you that he thinks he has better options, isn't he?

Reaction Score
Gotta say don't understand not changing up the defense, and applying pressure sooner. Of course there were people with a few fouls, but when you're down double-digits seems like you better do something different. Nothing different for 3+ quarters. 'Nova loved it.
Was hopping to see our other 6'5" bench players to help with the rebounding weakness. When Edwards got three early fouls and a lot of quick foul calls everywhere, the extra height might have helped.

The game quickly got out of reach early in the 3rd quarter. Nova's 3 point shooting was impressive. It was usually the result of fast ball movement and sagging defense on our part. We also got beat off the dribble numerous times by a team that didn't miss it's opportunities. Nova is well coached and had a great game plan.

Reaction Score
Why? How do you know those 60 seconds the team won't play worse? Then what would some say after those 60 seconds anyway? They'd say Geno wasn't being fair with them because they are looking over their shoulder to get pulled.

It doesn't "beg the question." Geno has already "answered the question." Geno feels they aren't good enough. It seems like you want players to play regardless of what the coach feels.

To further that, it seems like you want to sub them in because you feel bad for them. Otherwise Geno is telling you that he thinks he has better options, isn't he?
and what would the better options be?

Reaction Score
Because Villanova spreads the floor with 5 players and Amari would have been lost out there trying to guard one of Nova's forwards on the perimeter.
Well, we don't really know or if a zone might have resulted in our keeping better rebounding position and preventing the many drives for layups that Nova had. At least your just giving up the 3's not the other areas as well. In one sequence Nova had four offensive rebounds in the 3rd quarter!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Some nimrod said there was no leadership. I hope he heard Christyn’s press conference
There are words and deeds. So going forward she has to follow up her words with her play, otherwise.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Wow! You call Azzi’s shooting 10-19 for 29 points and 1 turnover not even good. You’ve got pretty high standards. What level of play would it take for you to call it good?
Yes missed many short shots, as did Chystin and the whole team. Poor defense, poor rebounding, the whole team. Even the "comeback" wasted time, missed shots, rebounding. She played the best of a bad lot.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The 16 point loss to SC earlier this season was far worst than this loss to Villanova.
UCONN was most healthy only missing Aubrey. UCONN was playing pretty much the same SC team which we had beat the year before and had added Azzi, Caroline and Dorka. This loss you can easily attribute to any one of the injuries to 3 different starters. That SC game was a beatdown.
SC game, Caroline didn't play, coaches decision, Azzi and Nika both it turned out played hurt. Dorka?

Reaction Score
Some of you folks are dramatic. There, I said it. You're just not accustomed to UCONN looking average. Well, you would be average too under these realities. UCONN isn't dead. They are hobbled...and despite the loss...still kicking and fighting. Apply reality and you'll find the answers to most of your questions. Stop bashing the players. They haven't quit. They are tired. It showed. When Ducharme was scratched before the TN game I saw panic. You can check my posts...I wasn't worried and stated...I still got UCONN. They are STILL that good. Lose three starters...and naturally, the odds of winning get slimmer. They STILL almost won. Some of you hang on Geno's every word, for example...they weren't hustling. That's him needling his players...it's not for you to take literally. He KNOWS it's hard. He KNOWS they haven't quit. I get that fans, some more than others, have this rabid emotional attachment to their team, but sometimes it clouds reality. I shook my head every time I read a TN fan saying that their slide was because Keyen Green got hurt. Now I'm doing the same when UCONN fans can't accept that losing THREE starters (not backups) is somehow not going to impact outcomes...even against Villanova. Villanova...hats off to your efforts. See you in the tourney.

BTW...the dominating thought I had in the game last night was that Fudd might earn the tag...unguardable.

Reaction Score
I give credit to Villanova for playing well. However I would say that the UCONN loss was attributable to two main reasons:

1. LUCK - I have never seen as many shots (by Villanova) in the general direction of the basket that somehow found their way into the basket. And I have not seen so many attempts by UCONN that didn't quite make it in. Such a combination of good luck and bad luck!

2. I disagree with those who saw an absence of effort by UCONN players. I saw players at unfamiliar positions trying, with huge effort, to pass to and defend with people who were not playing tonight. Azzi and Christyn nearly pulled out the game with individual efforts, but the team effort in the Tennessee game was absent, because of the team's unfamiliarity with each other at those particular positions, made worse by the inability to practice with each other.
While some of what you said may be true, you make your own luck. We continued to run a 25 second offence until late in the game then when we went to a pro style offense. These players are deep in the season, have played many games with different combinations and some are position less.
We shot well but missed some key layups, Nova shot better but did seize up late in the game off of an overdrive by the Huskies. Loved that comeback, showed what we can do even with fatigued legs. Our future is bright.

Until you recognize how you lost you will never adjust.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Don't care about the coaches but if the players look like they just rolled out of bed, that is an issue.
Notice the "nope that wasn't it" part.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OK, we were bad last night, with the exception of Christyn and Azzi. Tonight is the second tournament reveal, and most of us were looking forward to seeing us as a 2 seed in Bridgeport. Well, that boat has sailed, so we are right back where we were last time.
Lets stop and take a breath, we know we are better than this, but not until we get our players back. It doesn't matter whether we are a 2 seed, a 4 seed, a 10 seed, and it doesn't matter if we play in Bridgeport or Spokane. The point is we won't go anywhere unless all our players are back, because when they are, we can beat anyone, anywhere. Instead of getting stressed over each game result, we have to pray that Paige can come back healthy, Caroline gets healthy, Dorka gets healthy, and everyone else stays healthy. Geno is doing the right thing by keeping Caroline out if she is borderline, and now, if Dorka is in the same boat, she has to sit. I'm sure Liv has just has a short illness and will return pretty quickly.
We are not looking for February, we are looking for March. That is when we hopefully get everyone back, and that is when we can expect the real UConn to show up. We need to let the girls heal properly, and if that means sitting someone out, so be it. We have to get rid of the lingering injuries now, because we may have our biggest tournament challenge in decades. Lets just support them, and hope that we can still play well enough to get through the BE schedule without any more losses. It won't be easy, but the other players must step up and do their part until we do get completely healthy.

Reaction Score
Players earn playing time, coaches need to coach them up but getting on the court is earned. That has been a constant for this program forever and I for one applaud Auriemma for sticking to that principle; that is much more important in the development process of young people entrusted to him than losing a basketball game.
I have no insight into why neither play and will not speculate but the way I would feel is PO’d at myself for not earning the coaches trust enough to play when my team needed me.
A statement he uses regularly to the players in practice is 'make me play you or make me sit you'.

Reaction Score
Best post game quote from Geno: “we are challenged defensively, we’re just not where we were in past years”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A statement he uses regularly to the players in practice is 'make me play you or make me sit you'.
Maybe remove the comfortable padding from the bench seats. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn rode a win over an illusory top ten team back into the top ten themselves. Tenn has looked nothing but less than average lately, being knocked off by unranked teams left and right. They did not drop as far as they should have and a win over them should not have counted enough to put UConn back in the top ten. Of course the voters are swayed more by reputation more than actual reality. What we can surmise is that wins by top ten teams over lesser teams is no longer a given., and single game results can no longer be used as a measure of a teams actual strength. The women's side of college ball is beginning to resemble the men's where upsets abound and single game wins and losses have lesser value.

Reaction Score
UConn played this game like they have played all the others... don't guard the 3-point shooters and hope they miss. Tonight Villanova didn't miss, so when UConn did go out to guard, they got eaten alive by the cuts to the basket. Looked the same to me as all the others, just Villanova did it better.

There are only 2 things about this game I didn't understand...
1. Why didn't Geno call a timeout in the 1st quarter when Villanova went on their run? IMO, it was needed to try to slow down their momentum. Men's teams do this all the time and they even have timeouts every 4 minutes of game time.

2. Why did UConn attempt no 3-pointers in the final minute +?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
2. Why did UConn attempt no 3-pointers in the final minute +?
Everyone in the arena knew that Azzi was going to shoot whenever she got the ball and that the Huskies were going to do everything they could to get her the ball. Villanova adjusted their defense to deny her the ball on the perimeter.

Sometime people forget the other team has good coaches and Div I players, too. ’Nova appears to be a well-coached team and the coaching staff game-planned UConn beautifully

Reaction Score
Meanwhile....
Tied for 1st in the Big East
Three teams .5 games out.
After last nights game....yes, it could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom