Villanova post game thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, congrats to Villanova. They must be thrilled.

For me, I'm sort of Zen about this. The season has been SO hard - so many injuries, illnesses, missed games, changes, etc. I hardly think there is another team in the country who has been hit as hard as we have with all the issues. No Paige and no Aubrey. No Caroline was known, but no Olivia? It apparently was too much for the team tonight. We've not had any consistency with who practices, and then who is available to play for almost any game. Constantly changing.

I hope the fans take a pause and think before posting. As much as we've hated the season, I'm betting it's even been less fun for the team.

Just chalk it up to a rough game, bad loss, whatever. Nova is no slouch. Azzi and Christyn were ballers, but other than that, a frustrating game from the rest of the team. We made a nice run in Q4, but the game was too far out of hand at that point. We needed more of Q's 2 and 4 and less of Q's 1 and 3...

BTW, Azzi is flat out a stud. And her demeanor - cool as the other side of the pillow!

So, on to the next game. Let's hope those who were out get better soon, and Paige can't return soon enough! ;)
In an odd way, I was ready to have our endless winning streak against weak opponents come to an end. Clearly, UCONN played the game " wounded," but Villanova was hot as a pistol, until the very end. And only two UCONN players had their game on ( AZZI and Williams ). No one else could hit a shot at a big moment. The contributions from the Tennessee game ( Edwards, Westbrook, Muhl ) went cold. I think the team may also have been shocked that Caroline still had to sit. Certainly, I was. And, of course, we are largely kept in the dark as to what her injury is. That brings me to the point that we also have no bench. DeBerry, despite being a high-rated prospect in the freshman class of Caroline and AZZI, is regarded by Geno like "a visiting 8th grade prodigy, whom UCONN is trying to interest when she graduates from high school." It stuns me that she isn't even considered as a player who might contribute, when they have gotten so much from the other two freshmen, and when they were in dire need of a fresh contribution. From somebody. From anybody. It pains me to accept the notion that both DeBerry and Gabriel are long term dreams that will likely never play out. If the same UCONN team shows up tomorrow ( pretty likely, actually) we will see our first " two losses in a row" circumstance. That is no big deal, but it would be nice to see a more competitive outing. The Villanova game was over when we went down by 20, despite the intense heroics in the last two minutes, which no one really believed were going to matter.

Reaction Score
Solid highlight video of yesterday's game and Fudd's involvement. She has been there before.

Reaction Score
Regarding Deberry and Pia, Geno watches them in practice and he thinks we are better off with Dorka, Liv and AE. I fault Geno sometimes but I don't generally fault his ability to evaluate talent. He plays the right people. I just wish he didn't have to play some of the ones he has no choice but playing.

Reaction Score
And if it had been known that Liv was not going to play and both Dorka and Evina had some health issues, do you believe that UConn would still be an 18pt favorite?
No, and they shouldn’t be. Azzi is playing well on offense, Chrystin did yesterday, the rest not so much. Defensively and rebounding were glaring problems. Their scheme is to switch every pick, but they just have a lot of mental lapses. Poor communication, lack of practice with the others on the floor… I don’t know. I guess what bothers me most is none of my business. CD and ONO both looked well enough for a few minutes. Might have helped.

Reaction Score
Would I rather see DeBerry and/or Gabriel get some minutes and lose, or keep them on the bench and win, or what actually happened which is keep them on bench and still lose? I'd rather they played some just to see what they have, and not just in end minutes, even if a loss resulted. This is really the only thing I hate about this season and the coaching, this chaining to the bench for these two and not really giving them an opportunity. And I don't buy the "trust Geno, he knows what he's doing" like it's a blanket excuse for everything. If he hadn't needed to play Caroline and Azzi so much due to injuries, he probably wouldn't have. Aren't they better for playing a lot, don't we think now that in any situation that they will produce and conontribute. You can only learn so much in practice. But what do I know- of course, keep a hobbled Djorka in for a long time, and when she's on bench, put Aaliyah up top where she is not effective.

Reaction Score
At the beginning oif the year, if Remember correctly, the first players off the bench were Azzi, Dorka, Caroline and THEN Nika. I think he has it right. He projected Azzi, Caroline and Dorka as being important to this team from day one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The key word there is “maybe”!
Hmmm, I don't think there was a maybe.

You don’t know what would have happened if Geno had played them (Amari and Piath) for five or six minutes.
Hmmm, yea I think we know. And I'm sure Geno has a real good idea.

I’m not going to second guess Geno here because I think there is probably a deeper reason why he didn’t play them,
Hmmm, there might be other reasons, but I think the obvious reason is they wouldn't have helped. Edwards and Juhasz were having trouble defending at the arc. I'm fairly certain DeBerry and Gabriel weren't going to do a better job.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If any other team had 3 of their top 4 players sitting out against a team that had a 7 game conference winning streak, now 8 with their top player averaging 28+ points and 11+ a game and have had the same starting five for over a month, how many of them do you think would win? Take Boston, Cooke, and Henderson out of a line up and have them play any of the top 10 teams in the SEC, do you think they would win? How about Brink, Jones, and Hall of Stanford, what do you think of their chances against the PAC-12. Now lets say that on both teams Boston and Brink were game time decisions and they put in someone that doesn't play the center position and the back-up center has a foot issue and can't play much of the game. What do you think would happen?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He seemed more surprised than pissed. Chris said on her post-game show that she learned about it during player intros. Not sure whom Liv told.

Is what it is. I doubt we hear what Geno thinks about it unless Liv says something. It was Stef who told the media (months later) what Geno thought about her not playing in the St John’s game in 2013.
What happened with Stef in 2013? I don't recall.

Reaction Score
I give credit to Villanova for playing well. However I would say that the UCONN loss was attributable to two main reasons:

1. LUCK - I have never seen as many shots (by Villanova) in the general direction of the basket that somehow found their way into the basket. And I have not seen so many attempts by UCONN that didn't quite make it in. Such a combination of good luck and bad luck!

2. I disagree with those who saw an absence of effort by UCONN players. I saw players at unfamiliar positions trying, with huge effort, to pass to and defend with people who were not playing tonight. Azzi and Christyn nearly pulled out the game with individual efforts, but the team effort in the Tennessee game was absent, because of the team's unfamiliarity with each other at those particular positions, made worse by the inability to practice with each other.
I disagree, there was some effort and there were many times (particularly on offense) of our players standing around the 3-point line and waiting for someone else to do something.

Reaction Score
Without more than three games in succession with everybody available and playing, without restriction, there is absolutely no way to see what this team is capable of doing. Any other speculation is futile.

Reaction Score
If any other team had 3 of their top 4 players sitting out against a team that had a 7 game conference winning streak, now 8 with their top player averaging 28+ points and 11+ a game and have had the same starting five for over a month, how many of them do you think would win? Take Boston, Cooke, and Henderson out of a line up and have them play any of the top 10 teams in the SEC, do you think they would win? How about Brink, Jones, and Hall of Stanford, what do you think of their chances against the PAC-12. Now lets say that on both teams Boston and Brink were game time decisions and they put in someone that doesn't play the center position and the back-up center has a foot issue and can't play much of the game. What do you think would happen?
Would they lose by only 3?

Reaction Score
Question. I know Villanova is not ranked at this point - but was wondering if Nika Muhl would start on Villanova. She started most of the games last year and this season for UCONN.
I do root for her and respect her energy, grit and fire , but other then a steal once in awhile her defense is just okay - offensive is below average and passing is too aggressive.
Ps. I am not questioning anyone’s judgement - it is just my opinion and question as a fan.
I would say: maybe or no.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
This loss is because UConn had 3 top players not playing, if ONO had played we most likely win. If both ONO and Caroline play we win. If all three had played it's a cake walk.
brings to my mind -- back in D's day -- the huskies (with a healthy team), losing the BE championship to villanova, and the 'cats players amd bench being soooo overjoyed, elated, beaming and happy that their excitement kinda dulled the disappointment for me, as a uconn fan. it warmed my heart, sort of.

,,,, it was nice that uconn went on to finish the season with six straight wins!:):):)

Reaction Score
I've said for 2 years that she is basically their whole interior defense. But regarding the drop step, that should have happened 2+ years ago.
And we don't really have anyone that will take that interior defensive presence next year, unless you think Yanna will be like a Brianna Turner type player as a freshman...

Reaction Score
Would I rather see DeBerry and/or Gabriel get some minutes and lose, or keep them on the bench and win, or what actually happened which is keep them on bench and still lose? I'd rather they played some just to see what they have, and not just in end minutes, even if a loss resulted. This is really the only thing I hate about this season and the coaching, this chaining to the bench for these two and not really giving them an opportunity. And I don't buy the "trust Geno, he knows what he's doing" like it's a blanket excuse for everything. If he hadn't needed to play Caroline and Azzi so much due to injuries, he probably wouldn't have. Aren't they better for playing a lot, don't we think now that in any situation that they will produce and conontribute. You can only learn so much in practice. But what do I know- of course, keep a hobbled Djorka in for a long time, and when she's on bench, put Aaliyah up top where she is not effective.
I think this is a valid criticism. Especially with the foul trouble compounding it, I kind of wondered "Oh gosh, is he just going to have to put one of those two in at the end?" which wouldn't have been good for anyone. I thought he might take some opportunities to get them a few minutes, especially after realizing that Dorka is clearly still hurting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm, I don't think there was a maybe.

Hmmm, yea I think we know. And I'm sure Geno has a real good idea.

Hmmm, there might be other reasons, but I think the obvious reason is they wouldn't have helped. Edwards and Juhasz were having trouble defending at the arc. I'm fairly certain DeBerry and Gabriel weren't going to do a better job.
Pretty hard to believe they could have done worse than 2 rebounds!

Reaction Score
The thing that shocked me the most was the fact that both team had 10 three pointers. When watching the game it seemed like Nova shad like 15 3's. Nova played a great game and should get the credit they deserve. I still think when all the chess pieces are on the board.... that we could have a team that can go very far.. dare I say Final Four... but we need the pieces in place and healthy...

Reaction Score
And we don't really have anyone that will take that interior defensive presence next year, unless you think Yanna will be like a Brianna Turner type player as a freshman...
I would agree with this. They won't have that type of player. I've commented several times about her lack of improvement in a few areas like offensive moves and shots, shot blocking discipline, and occasional loss of focus. But I've never criticized her effort level. That kid plays her ass off every game for her team and regarding last night's situation, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she addresses it. There are very few kids in WBB that affect their whole team's defense in the unique way ONO does.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
He seemed pissed that Liv told him before the game that she couldn't go. Is there something going on that's not injury related.

We've already got a ton on amateur Doctors on the Boneyard. Are we going to get "Mind Readers" now too? I didn't get the impression he was pissed at all. Just diisapointed. After all they just lost a tough game. Stop trying to create controversy where there isn't any!

Reaction Score
I will only say this. I don't think we should lambast any players or our team but I also do not think we should make any excuses either. Last night was about effort, hustle, boxing out, defending and playing together and the extent thereof. Suprises, shorthandedness, or setbacks should not effect effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom