UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
At this time of year a win is a win...by 1 point or 60 points... Of course the closer games give us BYers ulcers and heartburn... but it doesn't matter how much our Huskies win by... We're down to the last 8 WCBB Teams... they are good because they too have survived. Close...or Closer games should be expected. Win, Survive, Move on to the next battle!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Just an outside observation. When Azure Stevens is in the game, there is little room for anything other than to feed her the ball in the post as the defender will not guard her away from the basket. Thus your three point threats have to spread the floor in order to feed her the ball at the post. The problem I see and it is just minor is that when she receives the ball she still tries to score when the double comes. This is where she needs to be aware of the open man and kick out the ball, especially as you have some of the country s top threats.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of ref-bashing but after a half of "let them play" didn't it seem like some oddly ticky-tack stuff got called in the second half? I know UConn was playing a physical game but it wasn't overly so, I didn't think. The Huskies got called for a couple head-scratchers in the second half.
Same type of stuff in the first game. And as usual Wilson throws her elbows everywhere and finally got called for one blatant one. We saw several phantom calls on huskies with arms straight up on KLS and Phees. At least 2 out of bounds tipped balls called wrong right in front of us.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first part of your post about Lou!
Yes she doesn't need to force things because of the talent she's surrounded with. What I disagree with is quite a few recent games, she's getting lost offensively. She's way too good of an offensive force to be mostly passing the ball around the perimeter. She's not demonstrating the same intensity offensively that Gabby & Pheesa.
I've been a huge KLS supporter for NPOY but the last four or five games, she's not even close. Maybe something is bothering her although her movement and foot / ankle seem ok from afar.
We need her along with Gabby, Pheeza and AZ to all take a strong hand offensively. I think Kia and CD hopefully are good support players offensively.
Our defensive effort and pressure was quite good.
Bronx23
I see the KLS dropoff! Weak year for POY. Wilson seems so unidimensional. Swinging those bows. What's she doing? I can't wait to see what Geno has in store for her! Durr good player but far from a POY. Mitchell- ugly. I don't care how many points she's scored. I truly believe POY is between Ionescu and Gabby.
Is it possible that UConn is actually in a rut offensively so as to be too unselfish and at the same time overly confident in their own shooting ability to the point that they don't know when to shoot. All those games when they do whatever they want offensively is numbing their senses for reality when good teams defend them. (get out of that stupid league!!) It's barely a conscious thing for players to know when to shoot. I think UConn looks confused. Why isn't Crystal slashing? My favorite #33, besides KLS, like a 6th sense, knew when to pass and when to shoot. Whatever they do, do it with conviction!

Reaction Score
I come to the BY and read all this criticism. I go to the Internet and read where "UCONN Routes Duke". No mention of all the negative things I have read on here. It gets old. Just a thought; I think UCONN's offense will be sharper on Monday.
Which gets old, the negativism or the non mentioning of the negative things?

Reaction Score
His answer was perfect. You play her like any "good" player. Take away some things and live with others. :)
At the risk of sounding like a new Geno worshipper, he answers a lot of stuff adroitly. I enjoy what he has to say. How he doesn’t get bored is what impresses me. He has aged gracefully (except when you fire head coaches that were his former players or assts)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on ESPN post-game analysis the best way to counter the UConn offense is zone. Is this what they'll see from here on out? What are the various ways teams break a zone defense? Is better outside shooting the only solution?
I think actually if U Conn is playing well zone defense doesn't work very well.
The best way to break a zone is movement both of the ball and bodies cutting and moving here and there. You rarely see U Conn players dribbling more than once or twice. The ball moves much faster than a zone defense can adjust if there are sharp cuts and passing, which is actually what U Conn does best offensively.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just an outside observation. When Azure Stevens is in the game, there is little room for anything other than to feed her the ball in the post as the defender will not guard her away from the basket. Thus your three point threats have to spread the floor in order to feed her the ball at the post. The problem I see and it is just minor is that when she receives the ball she still tries to score when the double comes. This is where she needs to be aware of the open man and kick out the ball, especially as you have some of the country s top threats.
Agreed. I personally think our best offense is when Pheesa is posting and Gabby is making plays from the high post. Pheesa’s shooting percentage isn’t as high as last year but how many more jumpshots has she been forced to take becuss of the offense putting her outside with Z inside?? When we get Pheesa the ball inside, great things happen because she doesn’t force it. She is constantly kicking it out to an open Kia or Lou when she sees the defense cheating. Getting our facilitator (Gabby) the ball at the high post is huge for not just Napheesa but how many times has Lou gotten back door layups from Gabby this year? Moral of the story...run it through Gabby. She will feed our best scorers.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I personally think our best offense is when Pheesa is posting and Gabby is making plays from the high post. Pheesa’s shooting percentage isn’t as high as last year but how many more jumpshots has she been forced to take becuss of the offense putting her outside with Z inside?? When we get Pheesa the ball inside, great things happen because she doesn’t force it. She is constantly kicking it out to an open Kia or Lou when she sees the defense cheating. Getting our facilitator (Gabby) the ball at the high post is huge for not just Napheesa but how many times has Lou gotten back door layups from Gabby this year? Moral of the story...run it through Gabby. She will feed our best scorers.
Today was the first time ( I haven’t watched UConn much) I saw a defensive player anticipate and steal UConn passes on cuts to the basket. Lexie Brown had some nice thefts. She is in her element and quick on D. Gives one hope that UConn is human. Wish L’ville could do that instead of looking like they want UConn player autographs the whole 1st quarter (26 to 4). Probably the worst 1st quarter any team had all year verse UConn. UConn is like a heavy weight boxer that jumps you in the first round and pounds you with their pace. If you can hit back just as hard and make them flinch you’re in business. No one seems to be able to. Is it how good UConn is or how incomplete everyone else is? I think parts of both. UConn is good but their isn’t another complete team out there to compete with them.
Glad the final score was under a 15 point difference. Flickers of hope.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
While a number of Husky fans were bemoaning the fact that we didn’t beat Duke by 40 points, I was enjoying a very nice dinner in Saratoga with family members from CT who, like me, thoroughly enjoyed watching UConn win and advance today at TUC.

While at dinner, we met 4 wonderful ladies from SC who had also attended the games at TUC. We had a very nice discussion with them about Dawn, Geno, A’ja, etc. From our conversation, it’s fair to say that their confidence level relative to their beloved Gamecocks on Monday night is somewhere between slim and none, but they were having a great time, and their support for their team was absolute.

We Husky fans might learn something from SC fans about supporting our team no matter what.
Regards your last sentence, Dude, as Moss Hart once said to Kitty Carlisle, "Kitty, you've been with me through thick."

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You're free to adopt whoever's take you want, but you're basically saying that you follow the casual observer (e.g. national media outlets) over the committed fan (everyone here).
No, I try to follow the more sensible observer. Anyway, what makes you think the writer of that article was a casual observer? Also, everyone on here are not negative after every game that the team does not meet the expectations of many on this board. Sometimes it is just best to be thankful and enjoy what you have and not complain about what you do not have.

Reaction Score
So in the post-game interview with Geno with Holly, he said something like "as seniors (Kia/Gabby), they know we are down to the last couple games, ....". I hope it does not turns out that way, otherwise, UConn will fall in the semifinal game again, possibly to the same team as last year.

Reaction Score
No, I try to follow the more sensible observer. Anyway, what makes you think the writer of that article was a casual observer? Also, everyone on here are not negative after every game that the team does not meet the expectations of many on this board. Sometimes it is just best to be thankful and enjoy what you have and not complain about what you do not have.
I don’t follow your advice but I agree with it

Reaction Score
Watch out, UConn just got it’s sort of bad one out of the way

Stevens, I don’t know. She has a tendency to shoot flat footed and loses her height edge, leaving shots short. But she is definitely a plus.

Plus, several times she got a pass or a rebound and brought the ball down below her shoulders, where the Duke players tied her up/stole it, etc.

BtW, I think the Duke team was instructed to swarm her whenever they could....

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of ref-bashing but after a half of "let them play" didn't it seem like some oddly ticky-tack stuff got called in the second half? I know UConn was playing a physical game but it wasn't overly so, I didn't think. The Huskies got called for a couple head-scratchers in the second half.

Totally agree. Phantom fouls.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts in regard to some comments on this thread:
... AND...it seems she has not been getting the ball. The fluid motion offense hasn't been there the last few games...so she is not getting the cuts, back cuts and so on....but today it seemed like Lou was standing alone on the wings or in the corner with the closest defender 15 or so feet away and she wasn't getting the ball.

I noticed that too. At one point she was calling for the ball with arms outstretched. THe ball went the other way and she shrugged with a "What the...?" look.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Highly doubtful he still thinks that with how she’s played lately.
I dunno. He slapped her on the tush pretty hard after causing that misfire that made him dance.

Reaction Score
And the FT shooting. Crystal just looked like she was gutting it out through pain. Geno sat her early, but the offense crawled without her. Nice to hear from you.
And Crystal will not get any recovery time before Monday. Frankly, if she is not close to 100%, I don't see us winning this thing. Ugh.

Reaction Score
And Crystal will not get any recovery time before Monday. Frankly, if she is not close to 100%, I don't see us winning this thing. Ugh.

I think we win this game with or without Crystal. Obviously better to have more depth and talent for the game but we still have plenty.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The on-board game threads were negative, too. I just got rid of some of the more hysterical comments. I much prefer watching the games over reading game threads for over the top hysteria.
Agreed. It's a lot easier to block people in the threads to cut out the extra noise. I am still glad I tried it out. I certainly appreciate you and all you do with and for the board. Love this place!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom