UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I expected to see Kia face guard No. 23 :)oops:) at the open, but it didn't happen. Instead we left her open on the wing. What was going on there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of ref-bashing but after a half of "let them play" didn't it seem like some oddly ticky-tack stuff got called in the second half? I know UConn was playing a physical game but it wasn't overly so, I didn't think. The Huskies got called for a couple head-scratchers in the second half.
And to be fair, Duke was called for a couple WT...as well. Crystal looked like she was struggling up and down the court, as if every step hurt.

Reaction Score
A so so performance on offense a lot of standing around ..surprising thought they would be psyched

Reaction Score
Sat pretty close to the action near courtside. None of the four teams shot the ball well. Lots of uncalled fouls in both games. Duke strategy was to not lose by 30 points, but to me at least , not necessarily to win. Huskies shot poorly, with no lane penetration. Poor foul shooting. Odom was able to score, but huskies guarded the perimeter well. Game was never in doubt.

Reaction Score
I thought the Huskies took a somewhat causal approach to the game and didn't value every offensive possession. One downside is that it will increase South Carolina's confidence going into Monday night's game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought the Huskies took a somewhat causal approach to the game and didn't value every offensive possession. One downside is that it will increase South Carolina's confidence going into Monday night's game.
SC has never lacked confidence before playing UCONN until they fall far behind. At least it's been that way so far. After their first loss against UCONN three years ago, they were determined to beat UCONN the following season but, could not.

Reaction Score
I wonder about that. SC’s play today was not what I would call strong... they have won their games so far this tournament but none were decisive wins.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts in regard to some comments on this thread:
a. Not a great offensive game... but a VERY good defensive game...held Duke WELL BELOW their normal per game average.
a.1. UConn Players know they didn't have a great offensive game...and they will work hard to correct that in the next game. More times than not, UConn Huskies Women's Basketball follows an "off game" with an excellent one!
b. Lou has not been tearing things up in the NCAA Tournament...some of that is because of the way others are playing defense...some is because other UConn players are getting and taking their shots (and in most cases making them)... AND...it seems she has not been getting the ball. The fluid motion offense hasn't been there the last few games...so she is not getting the cuts, back cuts and so on....but today it seemed like Lou was standing alone on the wings or in the corner with the closest defender 15 or so feet away and she wasn't getting the ball.
c. Energy level seems lower in the last couple games...is that a factor of "over confidence"... surely not fatigue!!! No one gets tired in the NCAA tournament.

I feel pretty certain the Team will come out with a renewed energy against South Carolina... that they will not take anything for granted and that they know South Carolina Must be beaten...they are not going to roll over. I would not be surprised to see a game similar to the one played in South Carolina earlier this year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just msf's version of haiku. It works for him and is good mojo for UConn.

Poetry not attempted
just a brief expression of my thoughts
See y'all in Albany on Monday; couldn't make it today.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Highly doubtful he still thinks that with how she’s played lately.
Let us hope she has three more chances to change his mind, and yours I guess. ;)

Reaction Score
I guess I saw the game slightly differently....

Duke played not to get blown out....on offense Duke almost ran the shot clock out every time prior to throwing up a low probability shot. There was very limited offense execution by Duke (especially early in the shot clock) and Duke consistently passed up good shots in order to run more time. Effectively by playing that offense Duke said "we are going to lose but not by more than 20 cause we won't let you have enough possessions to score that much."

Sure, UConn's offense looked less fluid than normal but Duke did play solid defense and Duke's offensive stall game really ruined the flow. It never seemed to me the game was in doubt and it is hard to execute when you opponent just wants the clock to run out without getting embarrassed...
I agree with everything said. Outside Leonna Odom and solid halfcourt defense in spurts, this was disappointing and just boring to watch.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
We are pretty lucky as fans... 13 elite 8'S in a row. And even a lackluster win where the game was not a work of art, lucky us to be that "blah" about the win.

I know it's win or go home, but at least 4 times during the game Geno was visibly and demonstrably disgusted with the team. Not sure if that was noticeable on TV...
He looked at least unhappy more than once!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Based on ESPN post-game analysis the best way to counter the UConn offense is zone. Is this what they'll see from here on out? What are the various ways teams break a zone defense? Is better outside shooting the only solution?

Reaction Score
Based on ESPN post-game analysis the best way to counter the UConn offense is zone. Is this what they'll see from here on out? What are the various ways teams break a zone defense? Is better outside shooting the only solution?

Hit 3s, find soft spots in the zone, rebound well, push aggressively on offense before the zone has had time to set up.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
With all the time the ESPN crew spent on Lexi Brown, I thought that they were going to cut away from the game for a 30-minute retrospective of her career. :mad:

Are we going to be "treated" to the same re: A'ja Wilson during the next game? :mad:
I am willing to go way out on the limb here, and say yes we will be so treated. At a certain point, you just have to mute them and watch. :)

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Wilson best player in the country and number 1 pick should be a drinking game phrase....that will get you drunk quick....

Reaction Score
Watch out, UConn just got it’s sort of bad one out of the way

Stevens, I don’t know. She has a tendency to shoot flat footed and loses her height edge, leaving shots short. But she is definitely a plus.

Stevens didn't have a great offensive game today but she still managed 8pt, 12rb, and 3blk in just 18 minutes of play.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I guess I saw the game slightly differently....

Duke played not to get blown out....on offense Duke almost ran the shot clock out every time prior to throwing up a low probability shot. There was very limited offense execution by Duke (especially early in the shot clock) and Duke consistently passed up good shots in order to run more time. Effectively by playing that offense Duke said "we are going to lose but not by more than 20 cause we won't let you have enough possessions to score that much."

Sure, UConn's offense looked less fluid than normal but Duke did play solid defense and Duke's offensive stall game really ruined the flow. It never seemed to me the game was in doubt and it is hard to execute when you opponent just wants the clock to run out without getting embarrassed...

Exactly right. Why even bother playing the game if you've obviously conceded defeat before the opening tip? They're consistently down by 15-20 points throughout the 2H and all they did was pound the ball. You've got to quit stalling and increase your possessions to have any chance to win.

Reaction Score
One downside is that it will increase South Carolina's confidence going into Monday night's game.

I sincerely hope it does increase SC's confidence going into Monday night's game.

For two reasons:
1. SC might give us a good game and not a blowout, and
2. Love to dash the hopeful.

Reaction Score
last time we played SC we shot about the same as tonite but won by 25. The key will be to limit TO s , fouls and shoot well from The Charity stripe.

Reaction Score
Last time against SC crystal was 1/10& 1/5 and Z was 1/5 3rb and 4 pfs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom