UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Duke Post Game Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I sincerely hope it does increase SC's confidence going into Monday night's game.

For two reasons:
1. SC might give us a good game and not a blowout, and
2. Love to dash the hopeful.

Atta boy: It is not enough to win. Others must lose. A/K/A Not everyone gets a trophy.

Reaction Score
Point guard play needs to improve to beat SC. Half-court offense was very stagnant. I'm not sure if Dangerfield is hurt, but she did nothing to push the action. This is how UConn lost to Miss State - make UConn a flat jump shooting team.

For the entire 1st half Duke had four defenders with at least one foot in the paint. Kemba Walker wasn't going to penetrate that. When a team sags into the paint the other team needs to find good perimeter shots and make them. UConn found good shots but they weren't going in.

It was a boring game though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I though the defensive effort was very good through 3 quarters. The last quarter was sloppy.

The offense wasn’t pretty, and we missed shots we normally make. We also shot a poor 8-16 on FTs.

It wasn’t aesthetically pleasing or fully satisfying, but we never were close to losing. Texas and Baylor sure would have liked an “ugly” 13-point WIN.

I’d like to see us clean up a few things for Monday and shoot the ball better. We have Gabby, and SC doesn’t.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sitting in a parking garage at TUC. Here’s some random thoughts.

- Duke played well, but the game was never really in doubt.

- Duke packed their zone in the paint and dared UConn to shoot 3’s. UConn made some, but they missed a lot of wide open shots.

- This was an interesting game for Z. She was much better on the defensive end than on offense.

As others have said, this time of year it’s either win and advance or lose and go home.

Still sitting in the parking garage. Got to find a better parking spot on Monday night. :confused:
I parked under the Egg. A little bit of a walk, up and down some stairs but it's all inside. Easy in and out. Was $5 today.

Reaction Score
Clearly Danger is struggling and I m sure it is due to her shin splints. She has not been able to practice much with the team and is not in the flow. They will have to win it with her as she is. Next year I expect her to be healthy and tear up the competition.

Reaction Score
And you don’t think A’ja is being defended the same way? I love Lou as much as anyone and she’s been our best player during the regular season but she’s faded this postseason. Not scoring or passing at her normal clip. That being said, she doesn’t have to force like A’ja bc she has other AA’s around her so I do applaud her for not trying to do to much. I’m just telling you right now, the committee is noticing. Right, wrong or indifferent.
Lou is looking for her shot but no one is passing her the ball.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I come to the BY and read all this criticism. I go to the Internet and read where "UCONN Routes Duke". No mention of all the negative things I have read on here. It gets old. Just a thought; I think UCONN's offense will be sharper on Monday.

Reaction Score
My opinions are no more valuable than any but to me in the games I've see A'ja seems to take a lot of time off during games and plays with fire only when she feels like it. Gabby plays with fire always. I'm tired of hearing about her being crowned before the fact but it is likely to happen. She can not beat UConn so they will make it hard for her to get the ball and stop others from helping. Today's game the Duke player who lead the scoring was left alone in order to shut down the ones who could hurt them. Why are UConn vs ND games high scoring? Because they play to win, not to keep the score low.

Reaction Score
ESPN missed the opportunity so did anyone at the game see JPP & Stevens in the handshake line?????????

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having just driven back from the game and not having watched the replay yet (that’s next), I have a different and more positive take on the game than most of the posters here. The shooting was bad, both from the field and from the free throw line. Before I saw the box score, I expected to see UConn’s field goal percentage for the game in the low forties or even high thirties. It was actually 45%, which certainly surprised me.

But I really thought that was the ONLY thing that was wrong. I didn’t see any problems with offensive flow — what I saw was an offense that was producing open, “easy” looks on nearly every possession, and then too many of those shots were being missed. Napheesa especially was missing in a completely untypical way — she made some very difficult shots and missed a lot of (for her) easy ones.

It looked to me as if UConn was playing against Duke’s zone pretty much the way that they have played against other defenses that they have seen this year. In the second quarter especially, Duke’s defense was being shredded on a regular basis. In the other quarters, it was more a matter of missed shots than of having difficulty getting shots.

I did not think that Duke’s running the shot clock down on so many possessions was the result of an attempt to slow the game down and lose by a respectable margin. Instead, I thought they were just having extreme difficulty getting a good look against UConn’s defense. Duke was far more visibly stymied by UConn’s defense than UConn was by Duke’s zone.

One other observation that I’m surprised that no one has made: I thought Megan Walker played really well in the limited minutes that Geno gave her, and played a significant role in keeping the lead. She hustled for rebounds (looking like a very strong rebounder, as she has in other games), and I did not notice her missing defensive assignments. If she can do that for three more games, Crystal can get some more rest.

I also watched the South Carolina game against Buffalo. My general reaction was, “If you think UConn has problems, ...”. Based solely on what I saw in both games today, I would much rather be in Geno’s position than Dawn’s going in to Monday night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I come to the BY and read all this criticism. I go to the Internet and read where "UCONN Routes Duke". No mention of all the negative things I have read on here. It gets old. Just a thought; I think UCONN's offense will be sharper on Monday.

You're free to adopt whoever's take you want, but you're basically saying that you follow the casual observer (e.g. national media outlets) over the committed fan (everyone here).

Reaction Score
Having just driven back from the game and not having watched the replay yet (that’s next), I have a different and more positive take on the game than most of the posters here. The shooting was bad, both from the field and from the free throw line. Before I saw the box score, I expected to see UConn’s field goal percentage for the game in the low forties or even high thirties. It was actually 45%, which certainly surprised me.

But I really thought that was the ONLY thing that was wrong. I didn’t see any problems with offensive flow — what I saw was an offense that was producing open, “easy” looks on nearly every possession, and then too many of those shots were being missed. Napheesa especially was missing in a completely untypical way — she made some very difficult shots and missed a lot of (for her easy ones.

It looked to me as if UConn was playing against Duke’s zone pretty much the way that they have played against other defenses that they have seen this year. In the second quarter especially, Duke’s defense was being shredded on a regular basis. In the other quarters, it was more a matter of missed shots of than having difficulty getting shots.

I did not think that Duke’s running the shot clock down on so many possessions was the result of an attempt to slow the game down and lose by a respectable margin. Instead, I thought they were just having extreme difficulty getting a good look against UConn’s defense. Duke was far more visibly stymied by UConn’s defense than UConn was by Duke’s zone.

One other observation that I’m surprised that no one has made: I thought Megan Walker played really well in the limited minutes that Geno gave her, and played a significant role in keeping the lead. She hustled for rebounds (looking like a very strong rebounder, as she has in other games), and I did not notice her missing defensive assignments. If she can do that for three more games, Crystal can get some more rest.

I also watched the South Carolina game against Buffalo. My general reaction was, “If you think UConn has problems, ...”. Based solely on what I saw in both games today, I would much rather be in Geno’s position than Dawn’s going in to Monday night.
Thanks for these insights from being there. I believe we're OK...and on Monday night our Huskies will play an inspired game and move on.

Reaction Score
Just got here, didn't bother reading through this thread...are we doomed? :rolleyes:
Not "Doomed"... but it's hard to believe that some times. We all want the perfect game...this one was a bit less than that...missed shots, missed free throws...but great defense. We'll be OK.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Geno managed the game. Win and advance. A'ja cannot be allowed to mug people on both ends with impunity. Our girls need both eyes going forward.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."

Reaction Score
We're currently in the growing parity era of WCBB. There are no obvious favorites to win anymore and probably won't be going forward.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

But I really thought that was the ONLY thing that was wrong. I didn’t see any problems with offensive flow — what I saw was an offense that was producing open, “easy” looks on nearly every possession, and then too many of those shots were being missed. Napheesa especially was missing in a completely untypical way — she made some very difficult shots and missed a lot of (for her) easy ones.

It looked to me as if UConn was playing against Duke’s zone pretty much the way that they have played against other defenses that they have seen this year. In the second quarter especially, Duke’s defense was being shredded on a regular basis. In the other quarters, it was more a matter of missed shots than of having difficulty getting shots.

Two thoughts on your various points:

1. There may have been a few possessions on which Duke deliberately slowed things down, but I agree that our defense stymied them time after time. They looked for an opening, occasionally thought they saw one, and then saw it disappear, as our rotation and movement took it away immediately. Brown and Greenwell were limited to less than half their normal scoring. Job very well done. Maybe our defense didn’t concentrate on Odom, but I think she scored mostly because she is good. I expect her to be a star. She is decent on the dribble, takes the ball into the paint, elevates, and puts up a soft jumper or floater. She scored over Gabby and had at least 3 hit the rim multiple times before falling through. Very soft touch. She had 3 good games in the tourney and still has 2 years left.

2. Meg may have been a fraction slow on one or two defensive rotations, but I thought she played well. She did miss one shot from almost point blank range, but it was contested and she was slightly too far directly under the basket. Meg rebounded with ferocity and looked almost like Maya or Tina hitting the boards. She elevates, uses her length, and grabs the ball with strength. She’s a solid rebounder.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Wilson best player in the country and number 1 pick should be a drinking game phrase....that will get you drunk quick....
Hhmmm good idea but not for a Monday night game with high schoolers to teach in the am :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While a number of Husky fans were bemoaning the fact that we didn’t beat Duke by 40 points, I was enjoying a very nice dinner in Saratoga with family members from CT who, like me, thoroughly enjoyed watching UConn win and advance today at TUC.

While at dinner, we met 4 wonderful ladies from SC who had also attended the games at TUC. We had a very nice discussion with them about Dawn, Geno, A’ja, etc. From our conversation, it’s fair to say that their confidence level relative to their beloved Gamecocks on Monday night is somewhere between slim and none, but they were having a great time, and their support for their team was absolute.

We Husky fans might learn something from SC fans about supporting our team no matter what.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The next matchup worries me a bit only because Z really did not play well which I think was a symptom of playing Duke but the same feelings will be involved in going after Wilson. Maybe Geno sees Megan as playing a more significant role if Z stalls a bit and gave her some good minutes
I'm not sure what game you were watching but Z did a lot of good things particularly blocking and rushing Duke's shots. Yes she didn't convert a lot of baskets in close and put backs but she was a whole different and better player than earlier in the year. She also was not in foul trouble.
For the few minutes MW was ok but how you jump to her playing a more significant role in hopefully three more games this season is just wishful thinking.
Sorry to sound so pointed but I just didn't see any of that you described.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
And you don’t think A’ja is being defended the same way? I love Lou as much as anyone and she’s been our best player during the regular season but she’s faded this postseason. Not scoring or passing at her normal clip. That being said, she doesn’t have to force like A’ja bc she has other AA’s around her so I do applaud her for not trying to do to much. I’m just telling you right now, the committee is noticing. Right, wrong or indifferent.
I agree with the first part of your post about Lou!
Yes she doesn't need to force things because of the talent she's surrounded with. What I disagree with is quite a few recent games, she's getting lost offensively. She's way too good of an offensive force to be mostly passing the ball around the perimeter. She's not demonstrating the same intensity offensively that Gabby & Pheesa.
I've been a huge KLS supporter for NPOY but the last four or five games, she's not even close. Maybe something is bothering her although her movement and foot / ankle seem ok from afar.
We need her along with Gabby, Pheeza and AZ to all take a strong hand offensively. I think Kia and CD hopefully are good support players offensively.
Our defensive effort and pressure was quite good.
Bronx23

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Maybe a little off topic - maybe not so here goes.

We all became extremely spoiled by Stewie, Morgan, Moriah and company. We witness some massive blowouts like the 60 point win over a decent but young MSST team. Or the 51 point dismantaling of Texas. The blowout of Louisville or crushing ND in the semis and others. Unfortunately we fans expect that in every game against every team regardless of their record. That expectation is pure fool's gold.

Before Stewie and company, games were closer, especially in the tournament. Go back and check the records. The blowout in Philly of Tennessee in 2000 was considered huge at 19 points. In 2003, we beat Tennessee by 6.

We all need to take a deep breathe, step back and enjoy the ride.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Never seen coach JPM that gracious in defeat before. Also Lexi said that "We could have beaten UConn", yeah, sure :)
Well, they did beat us in the 4th quarter, so using the Louisville/ACC rationale, she is right.Head bang:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sitting in a parking garage at TUC. Here’s some random thoughts.

- Duke played well, but the game was never really in doubt.

- Duke packed their zone in the paint and dared UConn to shoot 3’s. UConn made some, but they missed a lot of wide open shots.

- This was an interesting game for Z. She was much better on the defensive end than on offense.

As others have said, this time of year it’s either win and advance or lose and go home.

Still sitting in the parking garage. Got to find a better parking spot on Monday night. :confused:
We park next to empire state plaza for free. An easy walk. Usually we can get even closer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom