Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone should inform this writer that UConn is a P5 school according to The B1G

I am pretty sure that BC's leadership team has to change into some clean underwear what that news came out.

Reaction Score
Don't you remember basketball games at Conte Forum in the 80s/90s? They were UConn home games. I'm headed up to Conte this winter for our hockey game and I'm sure we will have a nice representation there as well. I understand that you don't want to do anything to help BC sell tickets and a game against us guarantees them a sellout (even FSU or USC or Clemson can't proclaim that).

Ultimately, I don't think anything happens until after we find a P5 home. That could be 20 years from now for all we know. BC doesn't want to do anything to help UConn while we are stuck in AAC purgatory, even if it means that they schedule every other New England school and proclaim that its in the best interest for their fans.

In the 80's/90's you couldn't get a ticket to a UConn hoops home game. They'd sell out the HCC against Marathon Oil. Today, times are different, and you cannot compare basketball support in the Big East heyday to football support in AAC hell.

We'd send 5-10k fans.

Reaction Score
Met Life? Seriously? It's further from Storrs and Hartford (by far) than Foxboro.

Playing BC in Foxboro would be neutral if the tickets are split in half. If we can't sell half of them to our fanbase, that's on us, not Warde.

BC's fanbase extends to the I-495 belt along with RI, NH & Maine and that is it. BC would be a horrible draw at MetLife and while a lot of UConn fans would show-up, UConn could not make-up the difference, bet on 40K tops for attendance. Gillette for the 'New England Cup' makes as lot more sense as BC should draw there and as long as the ticket policy is fair, UConn should draw, well, too. If I had the time, I would even go to a game at Alumni between UConn and BC just for the entertainment value. Problem with Alumni stadium, outside of the adjacent parking garage, there is no parking on-campus. Thus, one has to park in Boston and then take the T to the stadium hitting a few bars along the way, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not traditional football tailgating, or park 5 miles away in Needham (not sure how long BC will be able to use that location for satellite parking as it is being built-up now) and shuttle bus it in.

Reaction Score
In the 80's/90's you couldn't get a ticket to a UConn hoops home game. They'd sell out the HCC against Marathon Oil. Today, times are different, and you cannot compare basketball support in the Big East heyday to football support in AAC hell.

We'd send 5-10k fans.

Boston's is UConn's second largest out-of-state Alumni hub after New York. If UConn played hoops at Conte, I think UConn would be well represented, even today, assuming BC was fair with respect to visitor ticket policies. While UConn and BC are no longer in the same conference, many current and future UConn students apply to both UConn and BC and go to one or the other, which builds in a natural 'rivalry' and an excuse to go on road trips to visit friends. BC itself could be a roadblock. I clearly remember PC getting upset that UConn fans turned the Donut into Gampel Pavillion east in the 90's and required fans to purchase a block of 3 PC games to get the UConn game. St. John's and Seton Hall did the same.

Reaction Score
Boston's is UConn's second largest out-of-state Alumni hub after New York. If UConn played hoops at Conte, I think UConn would be well represented, even today, assuming BC was fair with respect to visitor ticket policies. While UConn and BC are no longer in the same conference, many current and future UConn students apply to both UConn and BC and go to one or the other, which builds in a natural 'rivalry' and an excuse to go on road trips to visit friends. BC itself could be a roadblock. I clearly remember PC getting upset that UConn fans turned the Donut into Gampel Pavillion east in the 90's and required fans to purchase a block of 3 PC games to get the UConn game. St. John's and Seton Hall did the same.

All well and good. How many fans do we send to a game at Alumni Stadium? I say 5-10k. At Foxboro, maybe 15k. The notion of selling out Gillette is a pipe dream.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is a few years but in reading all the rules at Alumni Stadium, BC discourages tailgating even more than BYU!!!

I thought BC Interruption was a fan site? What awful suggestions for a tailgate! Bud Light and Busch? If you're gonna talk the talk, you've gotta walk the walk and if UConn can't bet them on the field (I believe they can, especially next year and beyond), fans will destroy them in the parking lot - particularly in the Blue Lot.

Reaction Score
All well and good. How many fans do we send to a game at Alumni Stadium? I say 5-10k. At Foxboro, maybe 15k. The notion of selling out Gillette is a pipe dream.

Never said that. The Razor holds 68K. If BC draws 20K and UConn pulls in 10K for 30K, it would meet expectations. What BC fears is if BC pulled in 20K and UConn pulled in 20K. That would look real bad for them in TV and in the press.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not sell out. Out sell, in a 50/50 gate split at Gillette. For UConn fans, this would be the game we would all circle on our calendars to go to. We brought 5K to Notre Dame and around 10-15K to Yankee for an awful game against Army. There is no doubt in my mind that we would bring 20+K to Gillette, given how close it is to our campus. For BC fans, if we are to believe what we are constantly told by our BC lurkers on this board, it would just be another game against a low level New England school. How many fans do they bring to Gillette for games against UMass? Whatever that number is, subtract 5K because, you know, UMass > UConn to the average BC fan.

Bringing 5-10K to Alumni Stadium gives them their first sellout in years. No other fanbase in the country would bring as many fans to their stadium as we would because no other fanbase in the country gives a hoot about BC. We do. And saying otherwise is silly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Love a two page thread that has evolved into UConn fans biting each other all over a Blaud's post he probably thought up sitting on the crapper recovering from a late night.

Don't all of these types of threads turn into this? A game that will never happen until well after we are a P5 school (and maybe not!). One dude from Boston writes up some blog post about a game, it's posted here, we debate it until we're blue in the face, and by page 4 or 5, our BC lurker chimes in to remind us that UConn ranks in at about #8 to BC fans in terms of New England rivalry potential. Then we all get mad for being sucked back into this same, tired endless debate over a game that will never happen.

Reaction Score
Don't all of these types of threads turn into this? A game that will never happen until well after we are a P5 school (and maybe not!). One dude from Boston writes up some blog post about a game, it's posted here, we debate it until we're blue in the face, and by page 4 or 5, our BC lurker chimes in to remind us that UConn ranks in at about #8 to BC fans in terms of New England rivalry potential. Then we all get mad for being sucked back into this same, tired endless debate over a game that will never happen.

This is true.

We should just nuke this thread. And then burn it with fire.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that BC's leadership team has to change into some clean underwear what that news came out.

Let's chill with the P5 talk, the only reason that happened was Illinois/Indiana begging the B1G HQ to keep us on the sked so they didn't have to buyout the game deals. If we don't have those two future games there is no way we make that list. Sorry just true.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If a neutral site game happens at Gillette, they would close multiple (if not all) sections of the upper deck. No way they would ever make 68,700 tickets available, let alone split them between schools for sale. 3/4 of the stadium is closed for UMass games and "capacity" for Revs games is 20,000. My guess is 45K at most would be made available and at that point, what is the point? Either UConn or BC would have to give up a home game and why would BC do that when Capacity of Alumni is about 45,000 in and of itself and UConn shouldn't agree to a one and one where the venues are away and neutral.

It's probably not even on the table in the first place, so I'm just shouting at the wind.

Reaction Score
If the reports of our fans throwing beer bottles at their busses is true, I'm only throwing those knuckleheads under the bus. Hopefully, they will not be in attendance at any future game. We have way too many good fans to let the stupid actions of a few spoil our reputation.

I was a freshman that year and it was definitely true. It was when we had the original runway tailgate setup and the BC student busses went through a gauntlet of Uconn fans showering them with beer cans/bottles from each side with some flying into the bus through open windows. It was pretty bad. That said I don't think we'll ever encounter anything like that here again with the new parking configuration which allows security to be more visible.

Reaction Score
Bringing 5-10K to Alumni Stadium gives them their first sellout in years. No other fanbase in the country would bring as many fans to their stadium as we would because no other fanbase in the country gives a hoot about BC. We do. And saying otherwise is silly.
Not entirely true. If we brought only 5-10K to Alumni, that would equal USC, FSU, Clemson, and ND. Over 10K and we're in the clear.

Those who are saying they wouldn't be interested in a one-off neutral game against BC in Foxboro or a home and home have their head squarely in the sand. Everyone here ABSOLUTELY would be interested.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
If the reports of our fans throwing beer bottles at their busses is true, I'm only throwing those knuckleheads under the bus. Hopefully, they will not be in attendance at any future game. We have way too many good fans to let the stupid actions of a few spoil our reputation.
Hope those were at least empty beers. Talk about alcohol abuse.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not entirely true. If we brought only 5-10K to Alumni, that would equal USC, FSU, Clemson, and ND. Over 10K and we're in the clear.

Those who are saying they wouldn't be interested in a one-off neutral game against BC in Foxboro or a home and home have their head squarely in the sand. Everyone here ABSOLUTELY would be interested.

Not saying I wouldn't go if it were to happen, but it won't because it wouldn't be cost effective. UConn should not give up a home game to play a "neutral" site game at Gillette to appease BC. Plus, I believe the Rentschler home game clause remains in effect until at least 2018.

BC wouldn't give up their home game either, especially considering that Gillette would, in all likelihood, close significant portions of the stadium. BC vs. UMass drew less than 30,500. Both Rentschler and Alumni seat have at least a 10,000 seat cushion.

Reaction Score
Not happening.
There is so much NOT Happening in the original post and in the replies, I am not sure that having just one reply of : "Not happening" is enough

Reaction Score
So if this does happen Umass is off the schedule next year and replaced with BC? That was a neutral site game so chances of this one being at PAWS ARF are slim right? Hopefully Warde gets them to sign a multi-game contract with equal amount of home games.

Reaction Score
Welp, now it's more than just Blauds writing from his basement about this.
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now there is some actual proof (per the Herald) that this is informal discussions to getting this off the ground.............
If this is true, no one and done (to help them out of their scheduling problem) or "neutral site" crap at Foxboro....Warde make it a home and home.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom