Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If BC came to us offering us an opportunity to play, and it was anything other than a one-off game at BC with no return, we would be absolutely foolish to turn them down. Strengthening our schedule, getting the fanbase excited, making good with one of our biggest realignment detractors - this is a no-brainer. Even if they did just want one game, make it be a neutral at Gillette. Warde/Diaco should be fired on the spot if they turned down a home and home or neutral site game with BC......unless Jim Delaney was on line two.
I'm one of the biggest Thunderchicken detractors on the board. If the denizens of 'Nut Hill are willing to extend the olive branch, (even if it's for totally self-serving purposes) then its high time to bury the hatchet. As stated above though, this game must be a neutral site or multi-game home & home series, not a one off. Warde should tender his resignation if he agrees to a 1 time BCU home game.
I'm old enough to remember when the Yale series was the biggest attraction on UConn's annual schedule. A UConn-BCU matchup would
totally outdistance that series, both media-wise & at the box office. Having the T-Chix on an annual schedule, along with an annual P5 visitor or BYU type, might jumpstart RENT expansion & season ticket sales. There could be variable dates for this game also, either at the beginning of the season, or the last. (Look at USC-ND. ND homegame-middle of the season, USC home game-penultimate game before season ender against UCLA). The logistics can be dealt with later. First the game must be scheduled.

Reaction Score
Their future OOC schedules are pretty horrible. They have ND and a home & home lined up with OSU - and that's over the next 9 years. If we give up the UMass game we better get a home game against BC in the deal, unless they want to make it a neutral site with a 50/50 ticket split.

I want to suggest Fenway, but I know better than to call that 'neutral'. Maybe Met Life or Yankee Stadium, if available.

Reaction Score
Blauds is looking for clicks. He is the only blogger out there even suggesting that this is a possibility and it is just a made up scenario. He created a scenario to justify his blogs existence. Believe that the game will come around when you start seeing more legitimate media sources (note that i recognize the absurdity of that phrase) talk about it.

Reaction Score
Who are you guys kidding. The buildup to that game would be massive. If you guys want to go shopping that day be my guest. But I somehow think you'll be more interested than you think.
its nothing more than a cahk tease. There are plenty of other programs we could play, that are not into playing "they do no nothing for us" games. them.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Blauds is looking for clicks. He is the only blogger out there even suggesting that this is a possibility and it is just a made up scenario. He created a scenario to justify his blogs existence. Believe that the game will come around when you start seeing more legitimate media sources (note that i recognize the absurdity of that phrase) talk about it.
Nothing in his post explains why the simple solution, BC playing FIU, won't happen. The only time people pay attention to him is if he floats a realignment rumor or something like this.

Reaction Score
I want to suggest Fenway, but I know better than to call that 'neutral'. Maybe Met Life or Yankee Stadium, if available.

Met Life? Seriously? It's further from Storrs and Hartford (by far) than Foxboro.

Playing BC in Foxboro would be neutral if the tickets are split in half. If we can't sell half of them to our fanbase, that's on us, not Warde.

Reaction Score
Nothing in his post explains why the simple solution, BC playing FIU, won't happen. The only time people pay attention to him is if he floats a realignment rumor or something like this.

I don't think this will happen, but yes, there were things in his post that explain why BC would want it to happen. Both that their home schedule needs to be more attractive to sell tickets and so their OOC schedule is viewed as "strong enough" by those who judge such things.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
bc-sucks-dog.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm at the point where I don't care if we do a home and home with these clowns. But all of you that are good with a one-off on the road can go jump in the lake.

Reaction Score
Shockingly, I disagree. I think a rivalry is integral to the health of a program, and right now, we're lacking a few natural rivals. And how many teams do we hate more than BC? I reckon, not many. I feel like taking a pass on BCU is cutting off our nose to spite our face. Sure, we don't want to do them any favors. They deserve less.

But what really matters is the health of our program. And I bet you BCU puts more butts in the seats than virtually all of our OOC opponents. And we need to worry about us. Not them. And I think building that rivalry and turning that hatred into something we can use to build our program is a good thing.

Bully for you and others who get excited for this. I get it. They just don't do it for me. Of course I'd want to beat them but I was more excited for home games against BYU, Boise, Mizzou, and the mysterious Tennessee series.

We do need a natural rivalry, but that won't be with BC until we're in the ACC. And bending over for a one off in Foxboro? that. I wouldn't go.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If there was ever a program that needs to consider ticket sales in its schedule, it's BC. They are in a P5 conference, played in a bowl game last year, and they still can't sell out primetime home games against ranked powerhouses like USC and FSU. A logical fan can understand our attendance struggles: we play in a bad conference with a bad home schedule and haven't sniffed a bowl game since the Fiesta. But there is no excuse for BC.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not but I think we're just about the only fanbase that would be excited to play against them. We would absolutely bring 5-10K to their stadium and create an electric environment for them that they so seldom enjoy. Most of their conference mates, like FSU, Clemson, VT, etc, loathe having to travel to the northeast to play a game that they don't care about. But we would all pack our cars and trucks and spit fire for the opportunity to drive over to Boston and watch our Huskies take on BC in the true battle for New England. Again, I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

As for a home and home, I think that the last time we hosted BC we (i.e. us fans) weren't exactly gracious hosts. While I had a few BC kids yell stuff at me at our game up there, it was nowhere near as vile as what some BC fans experienced at the Rent. I can't and don't blame some of their fanbase for not wanting to return to East Hartford. Playing 1 game there and a split gate at either Fenway or Gillette would be fine by me. I would even continue to want to play this series even if we ever get into the B1G. It would be good for New England college football.

Cue the BC fan to quote this post and remind me how important it is for BC fans to schedule New Hampshire or Emerson College and that no BC fan cares about UConn...

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I don't like saying to UMass...hey we have a better team to play...sorry. I don't nec mean better on the field.
You never know when you need a favor yourself. (we know this...but....most don't)
If it were to happen though....an annual game at Gillette would be fine with me. Could be our version of the Annual Outdoor Cocktail party down in Jax.

Reaction Score
Met Life? Seriously? It's further from Storrs and Hartford (by far) than Foxboro.

Playing BC in Foxboro would be neutral if the tickets are split in half. If we can't sell half of them to our fanbase, that's on us, not Warde.

Don't know why I didn't even think of Foxboro. Total brain fart on that one.

Dooley

Reaction Score
. Might as well rebuild Memorial where the practice fields are.

Huh? Why? Outselling BC in a "Boston" venue would be a good thing for us.

I'm not holding my breath over playing them either. I don't think it will ever happen. This thread is based off of one guy's blog opinion - nothing substantial.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's tough to defend bad behavior and poor sportsmanship among fanbases, but I recall that the last time BC was in the 860, they had just then recently announced their intention to flee the Big East. While their departure hastened UConn's arrival, fans were bitter that the most natural of natural rivals was being stripped away. Calhoun's declaration and Gene being a DeFilipo didn't help matters either.

Reaction Score
When we're in the B1G they'll come running to us with the great idea of an annual game. Until then our AD should be publicly challenging them and Diaco should create another trophy for a game not played. That would at least give us a few laughs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's tough to defend bad behavior and poor sportsmanship among fanbases, but I recall that the last time BC was in the 860, they had just then recently announced their intention to flee the Big East. While their departure hastened UConn's arrival, fans were bitter that the most natural of natural rivals was being stripped away. Calhoun's declaration and Gene being a DeFilipo didn't help matters either.

Oh I know. They came to our house at a time when emotions were at an all-time high within our fanbase. We're still stuck in the AAC and I think our fanbase is still pretty sour with BC, but I don't think the level of venom is as lethal as it was back in 2003. Aside from the Iowa State mascot claiming that a UConn fan pushed him, I haven't heard of many other black eye moments such as the BC game. But I still can't blame their fans for not being overly excited about the prospects of returning to the Rent. Play a game or two at Gillette/Fenway, then test the waters at a game at the Rent. Or just schedule an annual game at Gillette/Fenway...the northeast's largest cocktail party of sorts.

All of this, of course, assumes that Rhode Island isn't available for BC to schedule.

Reaction Score
Both fan bases can thumb their noses at the prospect of facing each other again out of pride or for whatever reasons, but they're no denying that if the game were ever scheduled (even at a semi-neutral site), there would be a huge local buildup, especially in Connecticut. There's no denying that there's still a ton of bad blood there based on everything that went down during the split. Who wouldn't line up for a ticket to see them knock heads again?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I still can't blame their fans for not being overly excited about the prospects of returning to the Rent. Play a game or two at Gillette/Fenway, then test the waters at a game at the Rent.

Way to throw your fanbase under the bus, Dooley. Test the waters, my left nut.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Their future OOC schedules are pretty horrible. They have ND and a home & home lined up with OSU - and that's over the next 9 years. If we give up the UMass game we better get a home game against BC in the deal, unless they want to make it a neutral site with a 50/50 ticket split.
Where the hell would we play a "neutral" site game w/ BCU? Foxboro?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Way to throw your fanbase under the bus, Dooley. Test the waters, my left nut.

If the reports of our fans throwing beer bottles at their busses is true, I'm only throwing those knuckleheads under the bus. Hopefully, they will not be in attendance at any future game. We have way too many good fans to let the stupid actions of a few spoil our reputation.

Reaction Score
Huh? Why? Outselling BC in a "Boston" venue would be a good thing for us.

I'm not holding my breath over playing them either. I don't think it will ever happen. This thread is based off of one guy's blog opinion - nothing substantial.

First of all it's unlikely we'd outsell BC in a Boston venue. Secondly, this is not like signing up for the ill fated Notre Dame series. Playing BC in Chestnut Hill and Foxboro/Fenway would be essentially giving up as an athletic department.

People overestimate how "huge" this game would be in the northeast. Screw them. Let them continue to manufacture their rivalry with Clemson.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Don't you remember basketball games at Conte Forum in the 80s/90s? They were UConn home games. I'm headed up to Conte this winter for our hockey game and I'm sure we will have a nice representation there as well. I understand that you don't want to do anything to help BC sell tickets and a game against us guarantees them a sellout (even FSU or USC or Clemson can't proclaim that).

Ultimately, I don't think anything happens until after we find a P5 home. That could be 20 years from now for all we know. BC doesn't want to do anything to help UConn while we are stuck in AAC purgatory, even if it means that they schedule every other New England school and proclaim that its in the best interest for their fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom