UConn v. #17 UNH Wildcats (Fri. 1/19/24 @7p @ Toscano Family Ice Forum & Sun. 1/21/24 @4p @Whittemore Center) Both games on NESN. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #17 UNH Wildcats (Fri. 1/19/24 @7p @ Toscano Family Ice Forum & Sun. 1/21/24 @4p @Whittemore Center) Both games on NESN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I left when the third goal hit the back of the net. If it was XL I would have stayed. But playing at Toscano- a place where we rarely seem to win HE games- and knowing we don't have the offense to come back down 3 in the third made my ride home a lot easier. Not surprising to see I didn't miss some gutsy near comeback.

Reaction Score
The defense can't make break-out passes and have no feel for plays. They've also been very careless at the blueline which has led to odd man rushes. Rees & Spetz are both grad students who have played over 100 games and they bring nothing offensively and are very inconsistent for guys who are supposed to be the backbone of your defense. The offense is slow led by the guy who is suppose to be our top player Wood. Who can't make a play for himself or others because of his lack of speed.

Reaction Score
I left when the third goal hit the back of the net. If it was XL I would have stayed. But playing at Toscano- a place where we rarely seem to win HE games- and knowing we don't have the offense to come back down 3 in the third made my ride home a lot easier. Not surprising to see I didn't miss some gutsy near comeback.
We need to talk about how since they've opened this building the program has seemingly fallen off a cliff. Starting with the Northeastern game to open the place last year. Their record at Toscano is certainly under .500 and have been shut out three times there this season.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
It is certainly is disappointing that Toscano has not been much of a home ice advantage.

Reaction Score
Went to Toscano for the first time tonight. Had been trying to get up there since last season. Very very quiet, no energy from the crowd or the team. LOTS of empty seats. Concessions left a lot to be desired. The best part of the game was the 75% discount for men’s basketball team apparel at the team shop.

Very underwhelmed. Luckily the tickets were free from a friend otherwise I would have been annoyed at dropping $100 on tickets alone for a family of four. Won’t be itching to go back anytime soon.

Reaction Score
The defense can't make break-out passes and have no feel for plays. They've also been very careless at the blueline which has led to odd man rushes. Rees & Spetz are both grad students who have played over 100 games and they bring nothing offensively and are very inconsistent for guys who are supposed to be the backbone of your defense. The offense is slow led by the guy who is suppose to be our top player Wood. Who can't make a play for himself or others because of his lack of speed.
The blue line has always been a weak spot but this year the forward group is just not Hockey East caliber.

A 3rd line of Heaslip, Capone, and Vellieux is nowhere near 3rd line talent for arguably the best conference in the country. It’s not even a 4th line. Their 2nd line is more like a 3rd line. Their top line is more like a 2nd line. Schandor is not a top line Hockey East center.

Wood is giving them nothing in Hockey East. He’s scored a goal in only 2 Hockey East games (3 goals total)

They need a roster overhaul

Reaction Score
It started off empty but at some point maybe late first period early 2nd thought it filled in quite well. People went down and sat in Seats instead of staying up top.
Regarding it being quiet I suppose but we brought very few if any good offensive chances to the table and scored on ourselves while doing so.

Another reason I left early because it's an extra hour of driving for a Toscano night compared to XL and I dont have the patience if we're down 3 to wait in traffic before I even get to the highway.
Of course joke was on me as I had to drive behind a school bus going 35mph for about 20 minutes before getting to 84.

Reaction Score
The blue line has always been a weak spot but this year the forward group is just not Hockey East caliber.

A 3rd line of Heaslip, Capone, and Vellieux is nowhere near 3rd line talent for arguably the best conference in the country. It’s not even a 4th line. Their 2nd line is more like a 3rd line. Their top line is more like a 2nd line. Schandor is not a top line Hockey East center.

Wood is giving them nothing in Hockey East. He’s scored a goal in only 2 Hockey East games (3 goals total)

There's also been zero growth in Samu, like I don't even notice him out there. Same with Capone, I know he's been hurt this season at times, but you don't even see them out there at times.

Reaction Score
our passing is just not crisp. Not many tape to tape passes. Everything is just a little off and that's the difference between a 2 on 1 breakout vs having to settle by just dumping it in and getting a line change - or turning it over completely.
Same in our own zone when we will try to make a play off the boards or behind the net and have no touch in doing so and immediately lose it.

We just seem to play better at XL for whatever reason. Crazy to think about the fact we almost swept a top 5 team last weekend if not for shooting outselves in the foot - with the help of a hellacious officials call.

Reaction Score
There's also been zero growth in Samu, like I don't even notice him out there. Same with Capone, I know he's been hurt this season at times, but you don't even see them out there at times.
Samu has regressed. I expected a lot more. He should have grown into a top line center role but he didn’t.

Their team speed is awful. I remember during one of Cav’s first press conferences he mentioned someone was watching his practice and said to him that the team wasn’t as fast as last season but that they were going to play quicker. Well the lack of speed is a major issue.

Reaction Score
Samu is a 3rd round pick for NJ. They can't be thrilled with what is going on. His points per game and goals per game are both lower than last year.
3rd round picks shouldn't be having regression years as they get older.

And I still don't know what the heck is going on with Wood. He always was a threat last year it seemed when he was on the ice.

Two good to great drafted players having lesser seasons. No bueno.

And I'll say it again. It really sucks Tverberg didn't stay one more year. It is so striking how much his speed would have brought a desperately needed element to this team

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Oh well, can’t win them all. Sometimes you just have nights like this. We’ll get them on Sunday at UNH. Tip your hat to UNH tonight and get ready for Sunday. Go UConn!!!!

Seems to happen to them an awful lot.

Oh well! Gee gosh! I'm sure itll just magically fix itself!

zls44

Reaction Score
Nobody quit…that’s ridiculous.
They did the absolute textbook definition of quit.

Watch the play between 2-0 and 4-0. Watch UNH. Watch how their bench is reacting. They knew UConn was wounded and they pounced.

zls44

Reaction Score
We need to talk about how since they've opened this building the program has seemingly fallen off a cliff. Starting with the Northeastern game to open the place last year. Their record at Toscano is certainly under .500 and have been shut out three times there this season.

They're 6-6-0 there.

Reaction Score
They are but here are their last 7 games there, going back to their excruciating playoff loss. Even their wins take a lot of work.

UMass Lowell: lose 2-1 - favorite to win but give up two garbage goals and get neutral zone trapped to death. Our only goal was late when we practically tush pushed a goal in from what I recall

Holy cross - lose 2-0 - blanked in seasons home opener by HC. Ouch.

Merrimack - lose 6-3. Merrimack takes the lead with 1 second left in the 2nd and we don't recover.

BC - lose 3-0. Another shutout. 1-0 til BC scores two late in the 3rd.

UMass Lowell - win 2-0. 1-0'til empty netter puts it away. Good win. No offense but still that's what you get vs UML most times.

Harvard- win 4-2 - Harvard sucks and it took an empty netter to put it away. We will take it.

UNH- lose 5-0 - we did score but for them. Nothing at all to get excited about with this effort.

Got off to a nice start there last year. But it's been pretty miserable since then. Not much offense and we don't get any home cookin from the refs either (not a problem in tonight's game though)

Reaction Score
Went to Toscano for the first time tonight. Had been trying to get up there since last season. Very very quiet, no energy from the crowd or the team. LOTS of empty seats. Concessions left a lot to be desired. The best part of the game was the 75% discount for men’s basketball team apparel at the team shop.

Very underwhelmed. Luckily the tickets were free from a friend otherwise I would have been annoyed at dropping $100 on tickets alone for a family of four. Won’t be itching to go back anytime soon.
Welcome to Toscano, aka "The Deadzone".

Reaction Score
We actually aren't as bad as I thought at home . Almost .500

2-5 this season thus far at Suctano. Featured are three shutouts against.

The best thing UConn can do this season is win CT Ice at the XL and ensure they play on the road for the HE playoffs because home ice ain’t so nice right now.

Reaction Score

This roster is capable of more than they have delivered. What they really need is a new coach.

Reaction Score

The odd design and lack of atmosphere of the arena portion of the TFIF has been cited many times by fans here on the Boneyard and elsewhere. I won’t rehash the criticism but I absolutely corroborate your experience there. The venue has been a huge disappointment, despite the marketing refrain you hear from TV, radio, social media and print media. I’m at a point where I’m wondering if I’ll keep my Suctano season tickets for next season and just opt for the XL games only.

In short the real beneficiaries of this facility would be UConn’s women’s hockey team. For them this place is a dream and will elevate their program - we’re already seeing that now.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh doesn't develop players - pure and simple. I just hope DB sees what is obvious...

Reaction Score
Not saying our standards should be what they are for basketball but hell we have fired 3 football coaches after 3 years. You can’t bite the bullet for 300k?

I hate to move on from Cavanaugh because he is a great guy and done good things for the program, but it might be time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom