Men - UConn @ Univ. of North Florida Ospreys (Fri. 2/25/22 @6:05p>Sat. 2/26/22 @2:05p>Sun. 2/27/22 @1:05p) All games streamed on UNF SwoopLife Live/Mixlr | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Univ. of North Florida Ospreys (Fri. 2/25/22 @6:05p>Sat. 2/26/22 @2:05p>Sun. 2/27/22 @1:05p) All games streamed on UNF SwoopLife Live/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Game Notes:

· Pat Gallagher tied a career-high with 7.0 shutout innings and nine strikeouts.

· The Huskies recorded their last shutout victory since beating Boston College, 12-0, in 2021.

· The Huskies are off to a 4-1 start to open the season. It's the best start for UConn since starting 4-1 in 2010.

· Bryan Padilla, Braden Quinn, Ryan Hyde and Zach Stephenson all made their UConn debuts on Saturday.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The start to this series reminds me of the Presbyterian set a couple of years ago. We blasted a similarly overmatched team the first two games of that series, leading to negative comments by Jones about the play of the opposing team (comments that are very rare from him, and 100% deserved based on how Presbyterian was playing).

We nearly lost to them that Sunday, leading to a downtrodden postgame interview with Penders where he claimed like it felt like a loss.

Hoping the team comes out firing tomorrow. UNF looked deflated all game and might quit if we can jump on their Sunday starter.

Reaction Score
This past summer Bryan Padilla played for the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL. In 75 at bats, he hit .173. I have to say that this made me concerned about his offensive ability. But between today's game and the words that Coach Hourigan had about Padilla in one of the preseason interviews, it would definitely seem that Padilla has improved his game. I'm definitely interested to see what Coach Penders has to say about Padilla when the post game interview gets posted. For someone who had never played a game for UConn, Padilla had a really impressive debut.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
At least someone reads my junk.
Funnily enough, before reading this post I was actually thinking I should respond to you and let you know I love the half inning by half inning recaps. I don't get to watch the games too often, and of course I could just check for the score really quick, but I very much enjoy scrolling through the quick play by plays and absorbing the game flow that way. So thank you.

Looking forward to catching the team a couple times out here on the SoCal swing.

Reaction Score
This past summer Bryan Padilla played for the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL. In 75 at bats, he hit .173. I have to say that this made me concerned about his offensive ability. But between today's game and the words that Coach Hourigan had about Padilla in one of the preseason interviews, it would definitely seem that Padilla has improved his game. I'm definitely interested to see what Coach Penders has to say about Padilla when the post game interview gets posted. For someone who had never played a game for UConn, Padilla had a really impressive debut.

Reaction Score
Postgame interview with Coach Penders:

And yes, Coach Penders talks about Bryan Padilla right at the start of the interview. Good stuff. Says Padilla really came along towards the end of fall ball and after that. Says Padilla put a lot of work in, and it is showing.

Reaction Score
I think the player travel roster for UConn baseball is 28 players this weekend. Makes it a bit easier to calculate when all the bench position players are able to get into a game due to a 11-0 win.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I like having simmons as a 2nd leadoff of sorts in the #9 slot. Good to see Brownie back from his illness.

Reaction Score
!. If I was Christian Fedko, and I’m totally healthy, I’d be pretty pissed right now. He was fine in Tampa, had one bad game and a four year starter is sitting? While we have two new guys in the lineup struggling also?

2. Interesting that Padilla didn’t get another start. It shows you that the staff isn’t convinced he’s as good as he looked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
!. If I was Christian Fedko, and I’m totally healthy, I’d be pretty pissed right now. He was fine in Orlando, had one bad game and a four year starter is sitting? While we have two new guys in the lineup struggling also?

2. Interesting that Padilla didn’t get another start. It shows you that the staff isn’t convinced he’s as good as he looked.

Well, two bad games at the bat. The real problem for Fedko is that he isn't known for his defense in the field, and that Ferrer is off to a fast start while sitting primarily in the D.H. spot.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, a Smith lead off single, a stolen base, and a Bushling double makes it 1-0 UConn with no outs. That's it for the UConn offense that inning.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Guys seeing the ball well right now. Bushling just missed an extra base hit down the line before that RBI double.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Huber's struggles continue and Bushling gets stranded at 2nd. 1-0 going to the bottom half of the first.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Stefanoni faces the minimum three batters. Donlan throws out a stolen base attempt at 2B to end the inning.

Brown with a good play at 3B that inning, a nice change of pace from previous games this season. Important to remember that Brown was a solid defender at 3B last season.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Funny thing, Huber and Smith are off to slow starts hitting, but they are also the team leaders in walks in this short season so far.
True. Huber's defense has also been very good, as he makes a great diving catch to end the 2nd inning. I'm not a huge fan of Huber in the cleanup spot based on his lack of pure hitting so far, but he's still been a positive addition to the team.

Reaction Score
True. Huber's defense has also been very good, as he makes a great diving catch to end the 2nd inning. I'm not a huge fan of Huber in the cleanup spot based on his lack of pure hitting so far, but he's still been a positive addition to the team.

I certainly wouldn't mind Casey Dana moving into the cleanup spot at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom