Men - UConn @ Univ. of North Florida Ospreys (Fri. 2/25/22 @6:05p>Sat. 2/26/22 @2:05p>Sun. 2/27/22 @1:05p) All games streamed on UNF SwoopLife Live/Mixlr | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Univ. of North Florida Ospreys (Fri. 2/25/22 @6:05p>Sat. 2/26/22 @2:05p>Sun. 2/27/22 @1:05p) All games streamed on UNF SwoopLife Live/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn pitching has been showing very good control so far in this early season. UConn pitchers have a total of 20 walks in 6 games. 11 of those walks were in the loss to Charlotte in the second game of the season. Take the walks to Charlotte out, and UConn pitching has given up 9 walks in 5 games. That's a terrific number in college ball.

Chris Brown had another rough offensive game today, going 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts. Brown now has 8 strikeouts in 21 at bats, and has yet to take a walk this season. He is hitting .142 on the season, and has had some horrendous days in the field with his defense as well. Of all the position players, there is no question in my mind that he is having the worst year so far of all of them. Here's hoping he will turn it around, but it will be interesting to see how far the coaching staff will go with him before they start giving more playing time to someone like Padilla. Have to say that there was some talk of Brown being a possible draft pick if he had a good year. It's safe to say that is not happening with his performance so far in the first two weekends of the season.I

Ben Huber hasn't been doing well either, but at least he is willing to take a walk (he is second on the team in this category to David Smith) and he has been doing okay on defense. It would seem to me though that assuming he remains in the lineup, it would seem wise to drop Huber out of the cleanup spot until he starts hitting.
I like overreacting as much as the next guy, but one can worry way too much about stats 6 games into a baseball season. Means and standard deviations are what they are — it just looks worse when slumps are early in the season. We know Brownie and Fedko can play at this level. I’m far more interested in early results from those like Huber and Smith who haven’t shown what they can do at our level.

The ability of the pitching staff as a whole to throw strikes, however, has been very encouraging,and only one pitcher on the staff (Chudoba) has struggled in more than one appearance.

Reaction Score

Game Notes:

· The Huskies have won five-straight series dating back to last season.

· UConn is 5-1 to start the year, its best start since starting 5-1 during the 2010 campaign.

· The Huskies have won their last five extra-inning games dating back to last season.

·Erik Stock has had a multi-hit game in all 5 games he has played this season. His hitting streak has been extended to 17 games.

-> The Huskies will return to action on Friday, March 4 with the series opener against FIU at 7 p.m.

Reaction Score
UConn pitching has been showing very good control so far in this early season. UConn pitchers have a total of 20 walks in 6 games. 11 of those walks were in the loss to Charlotte in the second game of the season. Take the walks to Charlotte out, and UConn pitching has given up 9 walks in 5 games. That's a terrific number in college ball.

Chris Brown had another rough offensive game today, going 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts. Brown now has 8 strikeouts in 21 at bats, and has yet to take a walk this season. He is hitting .142 on the season, and has had some horrendous days in the field with his defense as well. Of all the position players, there is no question in my mind that he is having the worst year so far of all of them. Here's hoping he will turn it around, but it will be interesting to see how far the coaching staff will go with him before they start giving more playing time to someone like Padilla. Have to say that there was some talk of Brown being a possible draft pick if he had a good year. It's safe to say that is not happening with his performance so far in the first two weekends of the season.

Ben Huber hasn't been doing well either, but at least he is willing to take a walk (he is second on the team in this category to David Smith) and he has been doing okay on defense. It would seem to me though that assuming he remains in the lineup, it would seem wise to drop Huber out of the cleanup spot until he starts hitting.
I agree that their starts have not been the best but Kyler Fedko had a dreadful start to the season and won Big East Player of the year and was an all American. Now, will Brown get to that level, likely not but it’s a long season and I’m confident that he, Huber and Fedko will turn it around, they’re too good not to.

Reaction Score
I like overreacting as much as the next guy, but one can worry way too much about stats 6 games into a baseball season. Means and standard deviations are what they are — it just looks worse when slumps are early in the season. We know Brownie and Fedko can play at this level. I’m far more interested in early results from those like Huber and Smith who haven’t shown what they can do at our level.

The ability of the pitching staff as a whole to throw strikes, however, has been very encouraging,and only one pitcher on the staff (Chudoba) has struggled in more than one appearance.

I agree that their starts have not been the best but Kyler Fedko had a dreadful start to the season and won Big East Player of the year and was an all American. Now, will Brown get to that level, likely not but it’s a long season and I’m confident that he, Huber and Fedko will turn it around, they’re too good not to.

In addition to what I wrote, while Chris Brown is off to a bad start, six games into a baseball season is a pretty small sample size, no question about it. Players go in and out of slumps (or hot streaks) quite frequently. I should also mention that as far as judging the qualities of the players on the team and how much playing time each player gets, I am pretty confident of the UConn baseball coaching staff in doing that job. They are certainly more qualified for doing that than me. And they certainly see more of the players than the fans do. Last year the coaches ended up benching Kyler Fedko and Chris Winkel for a time due to their slumps, but they eventually found their way back into the lineup and with great production to boot. We'll see how things go with Chris Brown. The coaching staff did make the decision to pinch hit for Brown late in the Sunday North Florida game.

As far as Chris Brown goes, I have to admit the defensive slump bothers me more then the lack of offensive production to start the season, as he pretty much won the job last year on the strength of his defensive play at 3B while his offense caught up as last season went along.

As far as other players go, while Ben Huber is new to the team, David Smith is not. This is his second year with UConn baseball, having to redshirt last season due to the transfer rules at the time. I would think the UConn coaching staff is fairly familiar with what his abilities are at this point. While Christian Fedko has shown he can play at this level, he doesn't seem to have a great reputation for his defensive play in the field, or for that matter, have great foot speed. Over the last couple of years Fedko has often been taken out for a pinch runner late in games (not always a strategy that I agree with, but that's the way it goes). I said before It looks like at this point he is the odd man out of the lineup, but you just never know how things are going to progress during the course of the season. Fedko has certainly shown over the years that he can hit. At the very least, I would expect Fedko to get starts at D.H. against lefty starting pitchers, plus pick up some other starts through the season as the coaches see the need arising, either with players being sat for a day or two for rest, or due to injury. And perhaps Fedko might get red hot with the bat at some point, helping in any decision to play him more.

Reaction Score
Man these are college kids after 6 games, some haven’t played all 6! And were 5-1!! Gotta let it play out. Brownie, Huber, Smith, Donlan, and fedko all will be fine. And some of the guys who have started red hot will go though slumps later this year as well. Just the way baseball goes. Someone earlier nailed it about Kyler and Winkel last year, even the best go through it. I like analyzing as much as the next guy but gotta let these proven starters shake off their starts mentally/pressing and get going. Baseball is impossible to judge off 2 series. Pitching staff has looked great too! Big season ahead

Reaction Score
Our Big East Champion opponent Xavier is 0-7 losing to Alabama, Louisville, Oregon State - some bad w big opponent run totals.

I can't say Huber has been just off. We have only seen a few swings. Sad about Brown; but it's 6 games in. etc etc

On the other hand, we have to be happy about Ian Cooke, Hector, Jack Sullivan and that guy Justin Willis; three good starters and a blossoming bullpen. UConn will get around to hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom