UConn Transfer Portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought one of the beat writers ask Mora in this week press conference how one of our players was feeling. I didn’t catch the name but I assumed he was asking about Houston since he had the flu during the Duke game. Mora answered that he didn’t know. I thought it was a strange answer. Maybe Mora knew then that Houston was leaving!
I also picked up on that.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This is troubling. Our adult in the room savior coach now presides over a raging dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
Thought NIL had to be private donations, not from the school itself. Not the case?
Yeah, I have been wondering that too. I would appreciate someone who is knowledgeable posting a seminar on what is going on. Does the school administer the NIL in any way with money coming from private donations?

Reaction Score
Anyone still think that the new Portal/NIL system is going to equilibrate the distribution of talent in FBS FB?

If you do I might offer the current distribution of wealth in this country and how it has changed in the last 43 years. We have unregulated capitalism on our hands in FB now. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. It is a grab all the money you can now for the revenue sports. If you have to ask how much it costs to play, you cannot afford it.

Reaction Score
Is there a limit to the number of transfers a player can make thru his college career?

Reaction Score
And his best playing days are behind him. Too bad. Sometimes he was fun to watch.
Fortunately for him that is still to be determined….your opinion however I’m sure counts as much as pebble in the ocean, Zoo Cougar. lol Unfortunately for you…..you still have to settle being a fanboy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is pretty unnerving. Kids leave at the end of the season and I get it. We lose two starting WR and I was surprised but it happened over the summer when who knows what happened behind the scenes. Now we have two starting RBs enter the portal 25% into the season? It is time for AD Dave to ring the alarm bells and call in Mora and find out what the heck is going on. Something is not right with this program and I'm not buying NIL as the reason these two RBs left.

Reaction Score
This is pretty unnerving. Kids leave at the end of the season and I get it. We lose two starting WR and I was surprised but it happened over the summer when who knows what happened behind the scenes. Now we have two starting RBs enter the portal 25% into the season? It is time for AD Dave to ring the alarm bells and call in Mora and find out what the heck is going on. Something is not right with this program and I'm not buying NIL as the reason these two RBs left.
I’m ok with turnover where it’s driven by coaches demanding better and imposing a system design for success with player skills and qualities they believe are drivers of success. This is not one of those cases. We are shedding talent and trading down. We have less talent on O than half the FCS teams out there.

Something is terribly awry, and I think has to do with the B12 fiasco (which nobody will address), continued losing and heading in the wrong direction, and a collapse of player buy-in especially into a failed offense system. Nothing saves the program unless they get a very talented OC and a QB that throw the rock. The D is not going to carry the program to success. Yet, here we are leaning the D until they break down and the flood gates open.

Reaction Score
Fortunately for him that is still to be determined….your opinion however I’m sure counts as much as pebble in the ocean, Zoo Cougar. lol Unfortunately for you…..you still have to settle being a fanboy.

Enjoy your exciting career with Foot Locker.

Reaction Score
I am not sure why this isn’t being discussed here or maybe it’s in another thread but Houston is red shirting and then transferring…
https://dailycampus.com/2023/09/28/strattons-stand-what-is-happening-to-uconn-football/

Out of all the transfers this one hurts the most… I am not happy w/Houston abandoning his team and that’s exactly what it is. There were 36 thousand people there supporting him and the rest of the team just a few weeks ago. He was getting plenty of snaps and now the ”going get’s tough and he checks out?” Really? My last image of him will be him looking chipper sitting on the sidelines as this teammates got steamrolled by Duke.

I once posted that I trusted in Mora and even if we started 0-4 I would stand by him. I’lll be there Saturday watching. But if we lay another egg, someone has got to go… Charlton had the entire offseason while being paid very well to prepare this team to play offense. I would can him not only for the performance thus far but what apparently didn’t happen in the offseason. Right now the Offense looks completely unprepared to compete at this leveL.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
From the UConn Daily:

Houston Reportedly Leaving UConn​

The Story: The exodus continues for UConn running backs now that Devontae Houston has reportedly left the program and plans to enter the transfer portal after the season.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Although UConn has yet to confirm his departure, Houston no longer appears on the team’s official roster page, and the link to his 2023 bio page is now inactive.

• Nevertheless, Houston was still listed as RB1 when the depth chart was released yesterday ahead of Saturday’s game against Utah State.

• Houston, who started three of UConn’s four games, was the team’s second-leading rusher (161 yards) behind Victor Rosa and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.

• Last Saturday against Duke, Houston played only one first-quarter series and had one carry for two yards before sitting out the rest of the game with an illness.

FOURTH DOWN: Houston becomes the fourth running back to leave the program since last season and the second since the 2023 season began. Two weeks ago, Brian Brewton made the same decision to seek potentially greener pastures at a different school.

• While Robert Burns’ eligibility expired after last season, Nate Carterleft Storrs via the transfer portal and is now flourishing at Michigan State, where he is 23rd nationally in rushing yards.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN? Houston, a junior, still has two years of eligibility remaining because he played only four games, the maximum number allowed to count this as a redshirt season.

• One can only speculate why Houston would leave the program at this stage. It couldn’t be for lack of playing time since he and Rosa were getting an equal number of carries.

• Only two weeks ago, Houston had arguably his best game at UConn, rushing for 126 yards on 19 carries to go along with a 37-yard TD reception.

• Houston, who averaged 6.1 yards per carry in 23 career games at UConn, must believe he can find an opportunity to make his mark at a Power Five conference school, as Carter did. Unfortunately for UConn fans, that’s what the transfer portal is for, so more power to him.

NOW WHAT? The departure of both Houston and Brewton severely thins out a running back group that was viewed as a team strength entering the season. Only Rosa remains off last year’s team.

• Behind Rosa, the Huskies will need to lean on Louisville transfer Jalen Mitchell, sophomore Cam Edwards and freshman Bryan Domino, especially if offensive coordinator Nick Charlton continues to favor a running back-by-committee approach.

• Mitchell has plenty of game experience (217 carries in 26 games at Louisville), but he fumbled one of his four rushing attempts last week, and the fumble was recovered and returned for a touchdown.

• Edwards showed some promise Saturday with some solid fourth-quarter runs, but he and Domino (who fumbled a pitch from Ta’Quan Roberson) have combined for only 14 career carries.

OUR TAKE: While Houston’s exit is a gut punch to an already reeling football team, it’s no longer a surprising development to see a player leave at this point in the season. In addition to Houston, linebacker Eriq Gilyard, a transfer from Kansas, has also left the program within the past week.

• The transfer portal, which came into existence in 2018, has opened a world of opportunities for student-athletes while rendering obsolete the concept of program loyalty. That is why Houston, who was playing his third season at UConn, can abandon a winless program in its time of need.

• It’s a cruel reality for a team in desperate need of quality athletes, but instead of dwelling on the players he’s lost, all Jim Mora can do is prepare for UConn’s next opponent (Utah State) and hope his current roster is good enough to compensate for the sudden departures.

• On the field, teams know Rosa is UConn’s best player and will game-plan to stop him, especially since the Huskies lack an adequate passing game. Without Houston, who was one of the few offensive bright spots, it’s incumbent upon the current backups to perform at a high level immediately -- or else Rosa is going to take quite a beating.

— David Kull

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see where Houston goes. There are obviously other colleges actively recruiting from our roster. I don’t think he makes the move without at least one offer in hand. Coach Mora said Duke was on Mitchell last year and I’m sure Michigan was in contact with Carter. It’s unfortunately the way it is now. It’s also the same the other way where a school has no loyalty to a player who is injured, needs time to develop, or struggles academically. The NCAA decided two wrongs do make a right.

Reaction Score
From the UConn Daily:

Houston Reportedly Leaving UConn​

The Story: The exodus continues for UConn running backs now that Devontae Houston has reportedly left the program and plans to enter the transfer portal after the season.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Although UConn has yet to confirm his departure, Houston no longer appears on the team’s official roster page, and the link to his 2023 bio page is now inactive.

• Nevertheless, Houston was still listed as RB1 when the depth chart was released yesterday ahead of Saturday’s game against Utah State.

• Houston, who started three of UConn’s four games, was the team’s second-leading rusher (161 yards) behind Victor Rosa and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.

• Last Saturday against Duke, Houston played only one first-quarter series and had one carry for two yards before sitting out the rest of the game with an illness.

FOURTH DOWN: Houston becomes the fourth running back to leave the program since last season and the second since the 2023 season began. Two weeks ago, Brian Brewton made the same decision to seek potentially greener pastures at a different school.

• While Robert Burns’ eligibility expired after last season, Nate Carterleft Storrs via the transfer portal and is now flourishing at Michigan State, where he is 23rd nationally in rushing yards.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN? Houston, a junior, still has two years of eligibility remaining because he played only four games, the maximum number allowed to count this as a redshirt season.

• One can only speculate why Houston would leave the program at this stage. It couldn’t be for lack of playing time since he and Rosa were getting an equal number of carries.

• Only two weeks ago, Houston had arguably his best game at UConn, rushing for 126 yards on 19 carries to go along with a 37-yard TD reception.

• Houston, who averaged 6.1 yards per carry in 23 career games at UConn, must believe he can find an opportunity to make his mark at a Power Five conference school, as Carter did. Unfortunately for UConn fans, that’s what the transfer portal is for, so more power to him.

NOW WHAT? The departure of both Houston and Brewton severely thins out a running back group that was viewed as a team strength entering the season. Only Rosa remains off last year’s team.

• Behind Rosa, the Huskies will need to lean on Louisville transfer Jalen Mitchell, sophomore Cam Edwards and freshman Bryan Domino, especially if offensive coordinator Nick Charlton continues to favor a running back-by-committee approach.

• Mitchell has plenty of game experience (217 carries in 26 games at Louisville), but he fumbled one of his four rushing attempts last week, and the fumble was recovered and returned for a touchdown.

• Edwards showed some promise Saturday with some solid fourth-quarter runs, but he and Domino (who fumbled a pitch from Ta’Quan Roberson) have combined for only 14 career carries.

OUR TAKE: While Houston’s exit is a gut punch to an already reeling football team, it’s no longer a surprising development to see a player leave at this point in the season. In addition to Houston, linebacker Eriq Gilyard, a transfer from Kansas, has also left the program within the past week.

• The transfer portal, which came into existence in 2018, has opened a world of opportunities for student-athletes while rendering obsolete the concept of program loyalty. That is why Houston, who was playing his third season at UConn, can abandon a winless program in its time of need.

• It’s a cruel reality for a team in desperate need of quality athletes, but instead of dwelling on the players he’s lost, all Jim Mora can do is prepare for UConn’s next opponent (Utah State) and hope his current roster is good enough to compensate for the sudden departures.

• On the field, teams know Rosa is UConn’s best player and will game-plan to stop him, especially since the Huskies lack an adequate passing game. Without Houston, who was one of the few offensive bright spots, it’s incumbent upon the current backups to perform at a high level immediately -- or else Rosa is going to take quite a beating.

— David Kull

This is better than what professional beat writers put out. Good write up.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
So my question is: was Houston actually sick last week or did he just quit on his teammates on game day? I’d hate to think it was the latter, but it seems like this decision was made/being thought about prior to last Saturday.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Yeah, I have been wondering that too. I would appreciate someone who is knowledgeable posting a seminar on what is going on. Does the school administer the NIL in any way with money coming from private donations?
At least at this point, the school and the “Collective” (donor funded NIL money pool) are separated. It’s quite the oddball situation.

Edited to add: donations to the Collective do not result in donor status at the institution and not tax deductible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least at this point, the school and the “Collective” (donor funded NIL money pool) are separated. It’s quite the oddball situation.

Edited to add: donations to the Collective do not result in donor status at the institution.
OK, Professor, put on your teaching hat. Start with the basics. You just raised an interesting point. The NIL moneys are pooled? I thought the players were free to cut their own deals w/o institution interference. No? Please start at the beginning. And hand out homework if you want.

Reaction Score
This is better than what professional beat writers put out. Good write up.
The beat writers have been mailing it in for years, but this season has been especially bad. Not sure how much of that is the state of newspapers and their management but it's been awful.

Maybe they just like Mora and don't want to piss him off or something, but hard questions don't seem to be getting asked.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brewton's leaving was odd on its own, but Houston leaving after four games seems kinda nuts. Kid was basically one of only two featured RBs with plenty of opportunity to make hay. WTH is going on that would lead to this?

Reaction Score
The beat writers have been mailing it in for years, but this season has been especially bad. Not sure how much of that is the state of newspapers and their management but it's been awful.

Maybe they just like Mora and don't want to piss him off or something, but hard questions don't seem to be getting asked.
What do you guys think the administration is going to do about our team going into next season? Do you think they’ll see it as a problem with funding and give us more money next year? Also I’m curious how involved AD Dave will be in bringing on a more talented coaching staff.

My gut tells me we need a complete overhaul under Mora but I’m not sure if the school has the funds or appetite for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom