UConn Transfer Portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do you guys think the administration is going to do about our team going into next season? Do you think they’ll see it as a problem with funding and give us more money next year? Also I’m curious how involved AD Dave will be in bringing on a more talented coaching staff.

My gut tells me we need a complete overhaul under Mora but I’m not sure if the school has the funds or appetite for that.
Going forward in college sports I wonder if the amount of NIL money that is available to the athletes become more important than what the school is paying its coaching staff.

Reaction Score
What do you guys think the administration is going to do about our team going into next season? Do you think they’ll see it as a problem with funding and give us more money next year? Also I’m curious how involved AD Dave will be in bringing on a more talented coaching staff.

My gut tells me we need a complete overhaul under Mora but I’m not sure if the school has the funds or appetite for that.
Yeah we need a reset under Mora but we also need to keep fundraising and maybe divert some of that fundraising to NIL.

It's obvious that we aren't playing by the same rules as a lot of teams. Coaches have come out and said that other programs are just paying their kids directly in the name of NIL. That's against the rules but the NCAA is too scared to do anything about it, because then a lawsuit might render them totally useless. The NCAA at this point just wants to exist so the executives can keep their cushy jobs and high salaries.

If I'm the athletic department and coaches I just consider flat out cheating. Who cares if we get caught and punished a few years later, the seasons still happen and no one gives a crap. Just pull an SMU and if we get caught keep going and just try not to get caught next time.

Reaction Score
Yeah we need a reset under Mora but we also need to keep fundraising and maybe divert some of that fundraising to NIL.

It's obvious that we aren't playing by the same rules as a lot of teams. Coaches have come out and said that other programs are just paying their kids directly in the name of NIL. That's against the rules but the NCAA is too scared to do anything about it, because then a lawsuit might render them totally useless. The NCAA at this point just wants to exist so the executives can keep their cushy jobs and high salaries.

If I'm the athletic department and coaches I just consider flat out cheating. Who cares if we get caught and punished a few years later, the seasons still happen and no one gives a crap. Just pull an SMU and if we get caught keep going and just try not to get caught next time.
Please tell me this is not a serious opinion. I understand we’re desperate at this point, but ethics should matter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going forward in college sports I wonder if the amount of NIL money that is available to the athletes become more important than what the school is paying its coaching staff.

Much like management and labor in the job market.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is pretty unnerving. Kids leave at the end of the season and I get it. We lose two starting WR and I was surprised but it happened over the summer when who knows what happened behind the scenes. Now we have two starting RBs enter the portal 25% into the season? It is time for AD Dave to ring the alarm bells and call in Mora and find out what the heck is going on. Something is not right with this program and I'm not buying NIL as the reason these two RBs left.
Do you really think AD Dave found out when the rest of us found out?

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
OK, Professor, put on your teaching hat. Start with the basics. You just raised an interesting point. The NIL moneys are pooled? I thought the players were free to cut their own deals w/o institution interference. No? Please start at the beginning. And hand out homework if you want.
Here we go. There are (at least) two avenues for NIL money. One includes private arrangements with firms (like Brock Bowers of UGA’s deal with Associated Credit Union or Paige B’s deal with StockX.) These are the straight up quid pro quo contracts originally envisioned for “selling” Name Image and Likeness. The ugly brother of this is the fan based “Collective” situation. This area has been very squishy and is subject to change. NCAA oversight has been close to non-existent. These fan based groups, not connected to nor controlled by the universities, make arrangements to pay student athletes for “appearances“ and other activities probably never envisioned for NIL. The collectives can pool donations to fund these contracts, so you don’t have to have a specific individual donor project to match a contract. Several different forms of collectives have crawled out of the murky waters of NIL land. University of Florida Collective‘s unsuccessful attempt to sign Jaden Rashada to a high dollar NIL deal demonstrates the difficulties that can ensue from the Wild West aspect of the situation now. Hope this helps.

Reaction Score
Please tell me this is not a serious opinion. I understand we’re desperate at this point, but ethics should matter.
I mean, what do we actually have to lose? When you look at the pros and cons it makes a lot more sense to just cheat like all the big programs do. Is it really unethical if everyone else is cheating?

Reaction Score
Here we go. There are (at least) two avenues for NIL money. One includes private arrangements with firms (like Brock Bowers of UGA’s deal with Associated Credit Union or Paige B’s deal with StockX.) These are the straight up quid pro quo contracts originally envisioned for “selling” Name Image and Likeness. The ugly brother of this is the fan based “Collective” situation. This area has been very squishy and is subject to change. NCAA oversight has been close to non-existent. These fan based groups, not connected to nor controlled by the universities, make arrangements to pay student athletes for “appearances“ and other activities probably never envisioned for NIL. The collectives can pool donations to fund these contracts, so you don’t have to have a specific individual donor project to match a contract. Several different forms of collectives have crawled out of the murky waters of NIL land. University of Florida Collective‘s unsuccessful attempt to sign Jaden Rashada to a high dollar NIL deal demonstrates the difficulties that can ensue from the Wild West aspect of the situation now. Hope this helps.
It does help, although it makes my head hurt. Question: do the schools administer the collectives? I am trying to understand how schools can promise x dollars per year if they do not control the collectives.

Reaction Score
It does help, although it makes my head hurt. Question: do the schools administer the collectives? I am trying to understand how schools can promise x dollars per year if they do not control the collectives.
They're not supposed to but they do

Reaction Score
They don't legally control the collectives. But they coordinate with them.

Reaction Score
Wow, college football is the Wild West. It seems it’s easier for a college athlete to change teams than it is for a pro athlete to (think MLB, NBA, NFL, etc.).

In the real world firms have non compete causes with employees, which can keep one from poaching clients or make one “sit out of the market “ for 6+ months.

Yipes, this is stupid!

I wish some monied school would list “job openings” online for their FB team. Like:

Starting QB $1mio
Backup QB. $ 300k
RB. $ 100k
WR $ 200k

Etc.

Let the world know how stupid college sports has gotten.

Last edited:

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
The schools don’t administer the collectives which created all sorts of issues.

Reaction Score
The schools don’t administer the collectives which created all sorts of issues.
From what I've read and heard, they don't touch the money but they're basically directing where the money should go. So it's the same thing with extra steps

Reaction Score
Enjoy your exciting career with Foot Locker.
If that were the slightest bit true, I probably would’ve laughed….but even that is probably better than the one you have of unpaid criticism of college athletes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The personnel issues and dissatisfaction start in the position room and then to the coordinator. By the time the HC finds out there's a malcontent it's more of a last ditch effort to keep the player.

That a majority of the players are coming from one side of the ball isn't surprising and becomes another data point about Charlton's ability in his position as OC.

Reaction Score
I’ll play devil advocate. Maybe the coaching staff is planning on playing younger players who have been developing over the course of last season and this season. And, some just can’t handle getting less touches so they are going to take their ball and go home? I don’t believe this to be true, but it’s not impossible either.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately - very few schools in the P4 world are currently developing players for 2 or 3 years. That's why you are seeing so many transfers . If a kid is not getting quality playing time and he/she has some talent- they will leave. The days of 4 year players... especially in football are over unless you are in Ivy or D3 where it's all about the student athletes.

Reaction Score
Ethics matter inside a classroom not in big time college athletics

Reaction Score
Anyone still think that the new Portal/NIL system is going to equilibrate the distribution of talent in FBS FB?

If you do I might offer the current distribution of wealth in this country and how it has changed in the last 43 years. We have unregulated capitalism on our hands in FB now. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. It is a grab all the money you can now for the revenue sports. If you have to ask how much it costs to play, you cannot afford it.
The portal would have been great had NIL money not come into play. It's going to be hard for schools even in the power to compete with name brands like ND, Michigan, OSU, USC, Alabama, FSU, Texas and Miami for that money.

Reaction Score
If that were the slightest bit true, I probably would’ve laughed….but even that is probably better than the one you have of unpaid criticism of college athletes.

I don’t even know how to spell your relative’s first name or even what state he is from. The only Superfan is you.

Have a great life at Shoe Carnival.

Reaction Score
So my question is: was Houston actually sick last week or did he just quit on his teammates on game day? I’d hate to think it was the latter, but it seems like this decision was made/being thought about prior to last Saturday.
I think he quit on them. Looked like he was having a good time as we were getting killed out there.

Never before have I posted anything about any player choosing to leave UConn that was negative.

But Houston, don’t the door hit you on the way out…. Life is about commitments and standing by your teammates and you failed this test.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
But Houston, don’t the door hit you on the way out…. Life is about commitments and standing by your teammates and you failed this test.
This "Brotherhood!" shout they do, just replace it with "Motherlode!". Or as Cardinal Richelieu said, "One for all, and more for me." Schools have gotten rich off student athletes for decades, so the tables should skew towards the player, but now some students are no better than mercenaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom