UConn Recruiting | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would love to get Ayoka Lee, 6’6 and scoring over 20 pts a game, but if she can still play at Kansas State, why leave? They are undefeated, ranked in top 20, and beat #2 Iowa already. I’d say she has a pretty good shot at winning a championship already where she plays now.
I guess I don’t foresee K-State being a team that stays ranked, if that makes sense. I feel like they shot up in the rankings after one good win, but they don’t seem like the type of team to stay. Also in regards to Ayoka Lee, it’s a toss up. We saw players like Dorka and Lou Lopez Senechal transfer because it gave them an opportunity to play for a really great team and improve their game in ways they couldn’t at their former respective schools. If Lou hadn’t transferred to Uconn, she’s not a 1st round draft pick. I don’t think Dorka would have gone as early as she did (if at all) if she hadn’t transferred to UConn. So I think there is more in it for players to transfer to UConn that just a shot at a championship. But also, some players will remain loyal no matter what and wouldn’t dream of transferring,that could be Ayoka

Reaction Score
Would love to get Ayoka Lee, 6’6 and scoring over 20 pts a game, but if she can still play at Kansas State, why leave? They are undefeated, ranked in top 20, and beat #2 Iowa already. I’d say she has a pretty good shot at winning a championship already where she plays now.
I think it is fair to say that Ayoka Lee is the type of player and difference maker we would have a great interest in "if" she puts her name in the portal. Having said that Kansas State is a rated team now (largely because of her) and might be happy there and wanting to return. Jackson at Kansas had the option of pursuing a higher level program for her 5th year and chose to return, others like Dorka left a very good program to go to an even better one.

Ayoka will have several options. Apply for the WNBA draft and/or play abroad for pay, enter the portal for a new experience, or return to her school. In the event she considers the portal, I would think we would have a pretty good chance, because she is an obvious fit on a team that has plenty of talent in other areas, tremendous exposure, and a much greater chance at a championship or Final Four than her current team. Kansas State I would consider to be a fringe contender for a championship and if you compare the Uconn players to Kansas State players other than Ayoka it is not that close.

The problem is the number of good fits for a big talented 5 are very rare, and not many of them will enter the portal, partly because they may also have professional options, or maybe an extra year pursuing a masters degree doesn't interest them etc. We didn't get Betts last year, and that hurt because there was no other plan B in the portal for a difference making C. There were plenty of good available players 1-4, but that was it for us it was Betts or nothing.

This year who knows who will be there, but I think if it becomes common knowledge that Uconn might be looking for a 5, it might influence a top 5 from anything other than a top contender to consider it. I hope something opens up there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe one of Paige's H.S. teammates went to U of Arizona. Could be her??
That would be 6’4” Maya Nnaji, who is now in her sophomore season at AZ. After seeing limited time as a freshman last season, Nnaji is now a starter with the Wildcats and having a solid year so far.

Reaction Score
They have virtually no chance unless they get a massive influx of talent through the portal! Let’s be realistic. I’m not saying she would/should leave, just speculating on possibilities. It’s not as if we haven't seen this before though! Cardoso, Hailey Van Lith, Morrow, and even Reese, are all examples of players who left their original teams to reach for a ring! I merely picked the two players I think might help us in Lee and Brink? I doubt either will leave but, you never know!

Reaction Score
There was a diaspora from MD in which they lost Reese Owusu and Collins. I don’t know why that happened, but if current events at LSU are any indication, I suspect Resse is a difficult teammate, an alpha so to speak, and Miller was already the alpha. Can’t have two of those.

That’s the problem with shopping the portal. Kids transfer for a reason, and often enough they are the reason. This is one reason Geno has said he prefers transfers who have fulfilled their commitment to the first school. That way they’ve shown they know how to get along with a team and fit themselves into a team culture.

Dorka and Lou had graduated from their first school. Evina was an exception, but it was clear she was an excellent teammate, which makes me wonder how poisonous the atmosphere was at Rocky Top that a kid like her couldn’t find a home there.

Reaction Score
That would be 6’4” Maya Nnaji, who is now in her sophomore season at AZ. After seeing limited time as a freshman last season, Nnaji is now a starter with the Wildcats and having a solid year so far.
Thank You.... Could be a possibility??

Reaction Score
There was a diaspora from MD in which they lost Reese Owusu and Collins. I don’t know why that happened, but if current events at LSU are any indication, I suspect Resse is a difficult teammate, an alpha so to speak, and Miller was already the alpha. Can’t have two of those.

That’s the problem with shopping the portal. Kids transfer for a reason, and often enough they are the reason. This is one reason Geno has said he prefers transfers who have fulfilled their commitment to the first school. That way they’ve shown they know how to get along with a team and fit themselves into a team culture.

Dorka and Lou had graduated from their first school. Evina was an exception, but it was clear she was an excellent teammate, which makes me wonder how poisonous the atmosphere was at Rocky Top that a kid like her couldn’t find a home there.
Evina was topnotch, along with Dorka and Lou of course.
Thanks for that insight from Geno, I had not heard that before.

Reaction Score
I might guess that the turmoil at LSU involving Reese Poole and Mulkey isn’t helping lure Sarah Strong there.
I was reading the ESPN article on the disfunction at LSU. I was thinking just that same thing. Sarah Strong may be hesitating if she 'was' favoring LSU. The 'family' atmosphere that UConn has in spades while still very close to Boston and NYC, imho, are factors that are weighing heavy in Sarah's mind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I am reminded of Geno’s semi-rhetorical question to every potential recruit he talks to. “What’s wrong with you?” The clear implication of such a question is that any player who’s happy and doing well at their current school doesn’t enter the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
If I were a betting man :)D) I’d bet that Strong wants to come to UConn but other (very persuasive) factors are pulling her in another direction.Admittedly, it doesn’t look like she’s coming here but when all is said and done and Geno writes his memoirs, it would not surprise me to find that she had initially said she was coming here but was dissuaded by “other factors”.
Obviously this is pure conjecture and there is nothing wrong with doing that anyway. Lots of kids change their minds during the recruiting process. I’m sad because I see her as both a perfect fit here and also a great great player who could well b the difference in winning a championship but I certainly bear her no ill will! She seems to be a classy young woman and I wish her well wherever she goes.
If, as I’m hearing now, she chooses North Carolina, I think NC will likely win a championship during her tenure there! Banghart is becoming a real threat to join the elites in the women’s game. She is a monster recruiter, she has great facilities, great backing from her administration, and is a very good coach! In fact, she would be my fourth choice to take over here when Geno leaves, though I doubt she would take the job anyway!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The question I have is if Strong does not commit to UConn is, is there another recruit coming who we don't know about?

Reaction Score
The question I have is if Strong does not commit to UConn is, is there another recruit coming who we don't know about?
The only other person I can think of is Juste Jocyte, who would make a fine replacement. It’s not known if she’ll be playing Collegiately, though.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If, as I’m hearing now, she chooses North Carolina, I think NC will likely win a championship during her tenure there! Banghart is becoming a real threat to join the elites in the women’s game. She is a monster recruiter, she has great facilities, great backing from her administration, and is a very good coach! In fact, she would be my fourth choice to take over here when Geno leaves, though I doubt she would take the job anyway!

With all due respect. I disagree.

Reaction Score
If I were a betting man :)D) I’d bet that Strong wants to come to UConn but other (very persuasive) factors are pulling her in another direction.Admittedly, it doesn’t look like she’s coming here but when all is said and done and Geno writes his memoirs, it would not surprise me to find that she had initially said she was coming here but was dissuaded by “other factors”.
Obviously this is pure conjecture and there is nothing wrong with doing that anyway. Lots of kids change their minds during the recruiting process. I’m sad because I see her as both a perfect fit here and also a great great player who could well b the difference in winning a championship but I certainly bear her no ill will! She seems to be a classy young woman and I wish her well wherever she goes.
I agree with you that Banghart is building a strong program at Chapel Hill (I'm going to see UConn vs UNC at Mohegan). I think she would be a good fit to replace Geno, but she would never leave. UNC is the kind of place to stay forever. Whoever replaces Geno will not only be coaching against UConn opponents, but also against Geno's ghost (see Gene Bartow at UCLA when he replaced John Wooden,)

Question: Did Shea Ralph pursue the UNC job when it was open?

Reaction Score

Translated, while risk exists for any recruit, frosh or transfer (I think you could make the case that there is more info out there for the transfer), Geno knows the process and manages it well. From a transfer point of view, they should be very comfortable that if Geno shows interests, there is likely mutual benefit.

Reaction Score
Ok I'll give you everything but the facilities. Carmichael is a dump! Used to have season tickets for years, the place is like lipstick on a pig.

Reaction Score
I remember a Tilda Trygger from Sweden (potentially would have been a class of ‘24) being discussed as a potential POI awhile ago, but don’t know if she has gone professional now or is even interested in coming to the U.S

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Too much Banghart and Chapel Hill love/respect on this page, that's my cue

spongebob.jpg

Reaction Score
I remember a Tilda Trygger from Sweden (potentially would have been a class of ‘24) being discussed as a potential POI awhile ago, but don’t know if she has gone professional now or is even interested in coming to the U.S
I followed Tilda for a while... maybe???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom